Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

nickhimself posted:

Hi, yes, I'll be the jerk that requests this first: let us refer to trump/trumpers as "retards" or as being "retarded."

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Free Matey.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dragging out the legal textbooks, running down citations and calling in the experts to make a watertight case for why I should be allowed to say slurs

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

nickhimself posted:

Hi, yes, I'll be the jerk that requests this first: let us refer to trump/trumpers as "retards" or as being "retarded."

Please, read the definition:

Literally the only part of this definition not fitting these people is the very last bit. Trump retards progress in others, and, self admittedly, in himself. He's boasted about having figured it all out around age five or something dumb, and not needing to progress further. That's... retarded. Literally. He retarded himself because he's a loving moron. He's a retard now, of his own doing. He has retarded American development across basically every field measurable.

His followers loving drank Lysol.

"•a contemptuous term used to refer to a person who is cognitively impaired.

•a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way:a hopeless social retard."

There isn't a better accurate definition of these people.

Let's be honest. loving none of us ever mean a person handicapped by nature or other forces. We aren't assholes. We are aware those handicaps are not the fault of the affected, and would absolutely never treat them as anything lesser than.

Trump and co are mother loving retards that have stolen the word for themselves, to the benefit of the handicapped community. Please stop punishing us for being accurate in our speech.

no

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Personally, I feel that it's a slur, and I don't like it.

By using it to make jokes and mock people, you are conflating the people you are insulting with the people this word originally referred to. This only results in an accumulation of negative and mocking connotations for the handicapped.

I will use my worldly experience to give you a parallel in another language, that might give you some outside perspective on the matter. In the Dutch language, the word "mongool" originally referred to a Mongol (someone from Mongolia), but in the early 20th century it also took on the meaning of a "Mongoloid," which was at that time a medical term that referred to a certain type of mentally handicapped person. Over time this word became a common insult for stupid people. It is unfortunately still used, and when someone does something stupid, other people might say, "Ha! What a Mongol." Well, I also know a Mongolian who moved to the Netherlands and was learning Dutch, and I explained this all to them. They were understandably not very happy to learn this.

The meanings of words change over time, but it's a slow process. Other words like moron and imbecile used to be medical terms, but people don't generally have that association anymore, so it's ok to use them as insults (many would argue). But the R word is still associated in most people's minds with handicapped people. By using it as an insult you are denigrating and hurting people who have had to live with this label.

twoday has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Apr 28, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

nickhimself posted:

Literally the only part of this definition not fitting these people is the very last bit. Trump retards progress in others, and, self admittedly, in himself. He's boasted about having figured it all out around age five or something dumb, and not needing to progress further. That's... retarded. Literally. He retarded himself because he's a loving moron. He's a retard now, of his own doing. He has retarded American development across basically every field measurable.

•a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way:a hopeless social retard."

Let's be honest. loving none of us ever mean a person handicapped by nature or other forces. We aren't assholes. We are aware those handicaps are not the fault of the affected, and would absolutely never treat them as anything lesser than.

Trump and co are mother loving retards that have stolen the word for themselves, to the benefit of the handicapped community. Please stop punishing us for being accurate in our speech.

Stfu retard

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

twoday
May 4, 2005

sigh

THS
Sep 15, 2017

my only feedback is that when in doubt, don’t moderate, and more moderation is bad. always err on the side of not doing anything

unless i’m making the report then permaban their asses

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

nickhimself posted:

If the only word you can come up with to call these people is "retard" then I'm not sure you're smart enough to be following politics.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I voted "no mods, no masters" in the LF mod election and I stand by it today goddamn it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Man couldn't even get through page 2 without this getting into an argument over which slurs are 'just funny'

Albeit an argument where I'm siding with the forum cops

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
That's a good reason that I hadn't considered. Never knew about the Mongol slur translation. That does suck.

I know I tend to live in my own bubble, but I haven't used the R word to mean anything other than "a trump voter" since 2016. I haven't heard people using it as a slur for like 10+ years? I don't know why I just assumed people realized ever using it against a handicapped person was hilariously lovely to begin with. They still use every other slur imaginable against everyone else.

I feel my point is valid. I agree your points are valid. I don't have to use the word. I see the thread full of "highly regarded" and felt like making the post on this with my reasoning as to why it shouldn't be banned, that's all.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

[me, marching through the streets] "down! with! authority!"

[me, watching the cops give a goon The Boots] "exception! proves! the rule!"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

nickhimself posted:

eat a shotgun, dipshit

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
i guess my honest feedback is do the thing you said you were going to do the last time you asked for honest feedback and get back to me

altho yes it does pain me to answer a mod unironically

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Peanut President posted:

eat a shotgun, dipshit

Don't do this either, Jesus gently caress.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

twoday posted:

By using it to make jokes and mock people, you are conflating the people you are insulting with the people this word originally referred to. This only results in an accumulation of negative and mocking connotations for the handicapped.

I will use my worldly experience to give you a parallel in another language, that might give you some outside perspective on the matter. In the Dutch language, the word "mongool" originally referred to a Mongol (someone from Mongolia), but in the early 20th century it also took on the meaning of a "Mongoloid," which was at that time a medical term that referred to a certain type of mentally handicapped person. Over time this word became a common insult for stupid people. It is unfortunately still used, and when someone does something stupid, other people might say, "Ha! What a Mongol." Well, I also know a Mongolian who moved to the Netherlands and was learning Dutch, and I explained this all to them. They were understandably not very happy to learn this.

The meanings of words change over time, but it's a slow process. Other words like moron and imbecile used to be medical terms, but people don't generally have that association anymore, so it's ok to use them as insults (many would argue). But the R word is still associated in most people's minds with handicapped people. By using it as an insult you are denigrating and hurting people who have had to live with this label.

Good post, and I'll add that in the UK "mong" is a term used to mean ugly/stupid based on the same derivation from mongoloid. So English speakers have a much more relevant reason to avoid that term as well.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Peanut President posted:

eat a shotgun, dipshit

Mods asked for people to request language updates. Trump thread is full of people saying "highly regarded". I give a reason why it makes sense to allow. My fault for doing the things mods requested.

Eat a shotgun yourself, dipshit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

seattle plague rat posted:

it does pain me to answer a mod unironically

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The people saying "highly regarded" are also being painfully unfunny and are the worst part of the best thread.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

twoday posted:

I have yet to uncover where the nefarious plots are hatched.
yes, i have also yet to uncover where the nefarious plots are hatched

*stares deadfaced at the camera*

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Who What Now posted:

The people saying "highly regarded" are also being painfully unfunny and are the worst part of the best thread.

it is indeed unfunny.

also, note that you (general you) should still not tell other users to commit self harm, and repeatedly doing so will quickly result in bans.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tesseraction posted:

[me, marching through the streets] "down! with! authority!"

[me, watching the cops give a goon The Boots] "exception! proves! the rule!"

I was briefly tempted to post about how that phrase is always used wrong because proves actually is meant to blah blah so my feedback is that I should be ceremonially horsewhipped in the town square

twoday
May 4, 2005

nickhimself posted:

That's a good reason that I hadn't considered. Never knew about the Mongol slur translation. That does suck.

I know I tend to live in my own bubble, but I haven't used the R word to mean anything other than "a trump voter" since 2016. I haven't heard people using it as a slur for like 10+ years? I don't know why I just assumed people realized ever using it against a handicapped person was hilariously lovely to begin with. They still use every other slur imaginable against everyone else.

I feel my point is valid. I agree your points are valid. I don't have to use the word. I see the thread full of "highly regarded" and felt like making the post on this with my reasoning as to why it shouldn't be banned, that's all.

yeah it's fine to bring up issues like that and sincerely discuss them, that's what this thread is for. I think it's clear what other c-spam posters have weighed in, so you've gotten some feedback too now

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Crane Fist posted:

my feedback is that I should be ceremonially horsewhipped in the town square

Same, but erotically

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

nickhimself posted:

no

THS
Sep 15, 2017

make cspam a top level forum

twoday
May 4, 2005

THS posted:

make cspam a top level forum

There was a QCS thread about this before I became a mod, and I argued extensively for it, but most people outside of C-SPAM didn't take our side. You can dig it up and read it if you like. I think it also comes down to the fact that nobody can make such a big change without the approval of our supreme overlord

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

THS posted:

my only feedback is that when in doubt, don’t moderate, and more moderation is bad. always err on the side of not doing anything

unless i’m making the report then permaban their asses
yeah i'm still trying to figure it out and this is my feeling. and we're posting on some dead gay comedy forums where the point is comedy while being dead and gay, and a big part of that is having a critical mass of posters who can resolve issues themselves by making jokes and so on, which (ideally) means not having to report things to mods at all. i dunno. there are a few hard rules but a lot of it is contextual. another thing is that unlike D&D threads, cspam threads tend to move a lot faster, like a chat room, so unless you're really making an effort at trolling the place -- or saying something barbaric or deranged -- i don't think it's a huge deal since an individual troll post is probably gonna get buried pretty fast, and if you're really making an effort at it you're probably asking to get probed anyways and half the thread is yelling at you to shut the hell up. and you can tell when people do this.

i'd say the main thing i don't like is goons bringing in personal beef, or offsite / kiwi farms / helldump-style drama which is a surefire sign of online brainworms. i don't post in the other forums or sit around in offsite discord servers or whatever, or know what someone's particular damage is, so people who bring that stuff in are going to sound -- to me -- like total lunatics.

that's just my opinion though

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 23:22 on Apr 28, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Merge all forums into one Bing bong so simple

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
low-key gross/lovely posts in fast moving threads, to me, seem like exactly what sixers were made for. it creates a public record of a "hey, this wasnt something you should do in the future" for both the poster and marks the post for people reading the thread. helps everyone understand whats acceptable, without being a huge disruption

plus probably makes mods jobs easier in the future if they can tell if someone has been poorly trying to bait a thread for awhile

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

twoday posted:

yes

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

these are both extremely good mods for a leftist politics shitpost forum on these dead, gay, comedy forums, when comedy these days must often found in the "lol that owns" tweet

comedy here is important and the only real reason i post

but there's a vast ocean of subtext here, and the comedy i come back for always arises from that subtext

just lol @ the idiots who thought this would be a good opportunity to argue for reallowing slurs lmao

Dustcat has issued a correction as of 23:33 on Apr 28, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Varinn posted:

low-key gross/lovely posts in fast moving threads, to me, seem like exactly what sixers were made for. it creates a public record of a "hey, this wasnt something you should do in the future" for both the poster and marks the post for people reading the thread. helps everyone understand whats acceptable, without being a huge disruption

plus probably makes mods jobs easier in the future if they can tell if someone has been poorly trying to bait a thread for awhile
i've deployed sixers on a few occasions. the other thing i learned is that mods can dish out sixers on the spot like judge dredd without needing permission. above that level, i can request that someone be probed for a day, or to ban someone, but that gets sent into a system for admin approval, meaning i just can't pull the trigger on somebody and ban them on the spot while establishing a tyrannical forums regime. the sixers are really like a "time out" function that can be done quickly and without much trouble.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

T-man posted:

Merge all forums into one Bing bong so simple
Fine(change the forumid for different flavors but it's the same core):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay_all.php?forumid=269

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Just speaking for myself but if I see someone using the edgy 14 year old word I will throw a sixer

The preferred nomenclature is cspam modded

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

gross

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

:dukedoge:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

finally my quest to read every single post becomes easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Now is the time for me to smite my cross forum enemies. Wait...where my buttons.