Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Varinn posted:

low-key gross/lovely posts in fast moving threads, to me, seem like exactly what sixers were made for. it creates a public record of a "hey, this wasnt something you should do in the future" for both the poster and marks the post for people reading the thread. helps everyone understand whats acceptable, without being a huge disruption

plus probably makes mods jobs easier in the future if they can tell if someone has been poorly trying to bait a thread for awhile

agreed

I also agree with the hands-off approach to modding, this community is pretty good at managing itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
you don't like the reddit frontpage of the forums???

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i will post in every thread, thus ruining the entire site

muhahahahahahaha

twoday
May 4, 2005

lmao

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Varinn posted:

low-key gross/lovely posts in fast moving threads, to me, seem like exactly what sixers were made for. it creates a public record of a "hey, this wasnt something you should do in the future" for both the poster and marks the post for people reading the thread. helps everyone understand whats acceptable, without being a huge disruption

plus probably makes mods jobs easier in the future if they can tell if someone has been poorly trying to bait a thread for awhile

I agree and think the mods/IKs should hand out more sixers in general. I feel like the latest round of mods and IKs ever since I stepped down about a year or so ago have been strangely reserved about handing out probations particularly for low-grade bad posts that mostly get glossed over but are just generally stuff no one wants to read (like, for example, the chronic desire for goons to post about their disgusting bodily functions)

THS
Sep 15, 2017

twoday posted:

agreed

I also agree with the hands-off approach to modding

yes, laissez faire

twoday
May 4, 2005

THS posted:

yes, laissez faire

Advanced D&D

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

I agree and think the mods/IKs should hand out more sixers in general. I feel like the latest round of mods and IKs ever since I stepped down about a year or so ago have been strangely reserved about handing out probations particularly for low-grade bad posts that mostly get glossed over but are just generally stuff no one wants to read (like, for example, the chronic desire for goons to post about their disgusting bodily functions)

agree if you mean the butt wiping chat that often arises because of those two or three goons who are really militant about it

on the other hand, prohibiting the posting of bill mitchell tweets has historically been correlated with a decline in posting quality, and i would like to see the prohibition repealed. the bill mitchell quarantine zone does not work, because a thread that's just bill mitchell tweets is like shotgunning an entire bottle of hennessey, you gotta enjoy your bill mitchell in small doses and at random times, let it surprise you

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dustcat posted:

agree if you mean the butt wiping chat that often arises because of those two or three goons who are really militant about it

on the other hand, prohibiting the posting of bill mitchell tweets has historically been correlated with a decline in posting quality, and i would like to see the prohibition repealed. the bill mitchell quarantine zone does not work, because a thread that's just bill mitchell tweets is like shotgunning an entire bottle of hennessey, you gotta enjoy your bill mitchell in small doses and at random times, let it surprise you

yes I do mean the predilection for goons to post about their shits, the consistency of their shits, the quality of their shits, the smells of their shits, the frequency of their shits, and so on. it's a type of posting that is interesting to strictly only the poster and not to anyone else reading it, and furthermore, it is disgusting.

I don't really care about bitchellposting one way or another

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

a good sixer is refreshing and should be encouraged. here, I’ll sta

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

you don't like the reddit frontpage of the forums???

it's appalling, disgusting, and frankly an affront to everything holy

i love it

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess that would explain why most medical research coming out of the west is un-repeatable garbage, because apparently only papers written by the dirty chinks should actually receive any scrutiny.

Check out this load of fake state sponsored "research" they published in January about some "novel coronavirus", clearly some nefarious plot to destroy America's economy with panic. Luckily our wise white scientific minds saw right through it.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001017

wonder if i should keep digging and do a whole big effortpost about how spotty the moderation is or if that makes me a tryhard bootlicker

twoday
May 4, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't really care about bitchellposting one way or another

although I don't like bill mitchell, I absolutely do not give a gently caress about bill mitchell posts and think it's dumb to create such tiny rules like a ban on posting bill mitchell. Once there is a rule saying bill mitchell can't be posted, then people start going out of their way to do it just to be annoying, and then other people start reporting bill mitchell because it's a rules violation and then the mods have to deal with a giant pile of bitchell and suddenly this has transformed into the bill mitchell forum. He is a troll and all trolls feed off of attention, the best way to make him go away is to ignore him, IMO. If we banned tweets from every despicable rear end in a top hat with lovely opinions, C-SPAM would have nothing left to talk about. But IKs can probe bill mitchell posts all day for all I care

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

seattle plague rat posted:

wonder if i should keep digging and do a whole big effortpost about how spotty the moderation is or if that makes me a tryhard bootlicker

report that stuff when you see it. i didnt see that, and i certainly dont go thru and run daily searches for a collection of hate speech terms

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM probably has the highest posting rate of any subforum, and even with the 4 of us we don't read every post, and even though I read that thread pretty thoroughly, I scroll past stuff sometimes, and I missed this. Thank you for pointing it out, I gave them a probe saying that there was a better way they could have approached discussing this issue.

People should report stuff like this, but nobody did for this one.

I see you don't have platinum on your account, and so IIRC you don't have a report button. I don't know why it is the case that people need to pay for an account upgrade to have a report button, but that discussion is better suited for a QCS thread than here

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

you should be able to use the r word if you provide evidence that you yourself are an r word. same goes for f word and n word and c word and all words

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
choose iks in the proper fashion: random numbers

cept for iks like the mental health thread guy

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

hi can i post in cspam

twoday
May 4, 2005

Yes of course, welcome!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Reene posted:

hi can i post in cspam

no

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Reene posted:

hi can i post in cspam

could anyone stop you if you did? lol

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Reene posted:

hi can i post in cspam

Sorry but we're full. We have reduced capacity because of COVID19

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
If you tell a mod you do not wish to create joinder they can't probate you

twoday
May 4, 2005

Jewel Repetition posted:

If you tell a mod you do not wish to create joinder they can't probate you

this only works if there is gold fringe on your monitor

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Reene posted:

hi can i post in cspam

all who can post may post

if you cannot post, let a poster know, and they will assist you

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
We stan our Brutalist fast food overlord.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

this only works if there is gold fringe on your monitor

AM I BEING PROBATED

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Squizzle posted:

report that stuff when you see it. i didnt see that, and i certainly dont go thru and run daily searches for a collection of hate speech terms

yah lol what kind of idiot would do that

but youd find a lot you missed if you hacked something together and let it run

in the covid thred this month 4 uses of r*tard were probated & 3 went unpunished, the remaining 7 used it in a medical context or helpfully called out other posters

language

or possibly framed another way, 42% of malicious uses of r*tard went unpunished in that thread

should i do the whole subforum? maybe get some baseline metrics 4 judging effective moderation?

e: and im not posting usernames again, hitting that dude w/a 6er when i was making a point about shortcomings in enforcement 2 weeks after he posted sucks

this is what you should all work on if youre serious about inclusive language

seattle plague rat has issued a correction as of 02:49 on Apr 29, 2020

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

yah lol what kind of idiot would do that

but youd find a lot you missed if you hacked something together and let it run

in the covid thred this month 4 uses of r*tard were probated & 3 went unpunished, the remaining 7 used it in a medical context or helpfully called out other posters

language

or possibly framed another way, 42% of malicious uses of r*tard went unpunished in that thread

should i do the whole subforum? maybe get some baseline metrics 4 judging effective moderation?

e: and im not posting usernames again, hitting that dude w/a 6er when i was making a point about shortcomings in enforcement 2 weeks after he posted sucks

this is what you should all work on if youre serious about inclusive language

This is very cool, and normal

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Crane Fist posted:

This is very cool, and normal

i wanted to shitpost, they asked for feedback, its not my fault i spit python like its my native language

twoday
May 4, 2005

I have no idea how computers work, but if you want to cobble together a bot that would scan c-spam for slurs and racist terms and automatically file a report, then that would seem to me to be a more efficient system than the one we currently have, and you have a valid point when you show us how much we miss. But you'd probably have to talk to Jeffrey about how to actually implement such a thing. I'm totally down with a c-spam anti-slur bot

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017
for data collection purposes, i did recently report a post for that slur the other day & nothing came of it so far. i wanna say it was in succ zone?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

twoday posted:

I have no idea how computers work, but if you want to cobble together a bot that would scan c-spam for slurs and racist terms and automatically file a report, then that would seem to me to be a more efficient system than the one we currently have, and you have a valid point when you show us how much we miss. But you'd probably have to talk to Jeffrey about how to actually implement such a thing. I'm totally down with a c-spam anti-slur bot

lol this is a terrible idea

twoday
May 4, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

lol this is a terrible idea

why?

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
i should not be allowed anywhere near the SA backend of ever given IK or mod privs because i will get drunk and abuse it in unpredictable and ultimately unhelpful ways

twoday
May 4, 2005

i should not be allowed anywhere near the SA backend of ever given IK or mod privs because i will get drunk and abuse it in unpredictable and ultimately unhelpful ways

yeah I meant, if you want to write a script and send it over

I have no idea how this works though, as I said

twoday
May 4, 2005

THOT PATROL posted:

for data collection purposes, i did recently report a post for that slur the other day & nothing came of it so far. i wanna say it was in succ zone?

I am unable to find any reports made in the past few weeks which were filed by your user name

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

I just don’t like the idea of text strings triggering automatic reports with no regard for context. Think things should be reviewed based on people actually taking offense.

If it does go forward though I would hope it only monitors new posts. Usage rules have changed a lot, everybody used to say "retarded" constantly on here including in plenty of still-live threads

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
yah i dunno fi you want a weekly digest email or something i could set it up in early may

lets see if there is continued interest or if im just a jerk making a point that despite everyones best intention a lot is still falling thru the cracks

but also i feel like a lot of ppl just really dont like the idea of being caught every time they use a slur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

I just don’t like the idea of text strings triggering automatic reports with no regard for context. Think things should be reviewed based on people actually taking offense.

If it does go forward though I would hope it only monitors new posts. Usage rules have changed a lot, everybody used to say "retarded" constantly on here including in plenty of still-live threads

so, whenever a post is reported it goes into a hidden subforum which only mods can read which lists all the reports, and there we (the mods) have to look over them and decide whether to act on it or not, and often we are supposed to post our reasoning behind making a decision, and then this is looked over again by an admin before being resolved. Sometimes there is a little discussion if the mod is unsure what to do. So what such a bot would do is report every post in c-spam which contains a slur, and then it would end up in the report queue where it would be analyzed by a mod to determine if it is acceptable in the context or not. This wouldn't sidestep any element of the moderation process, but it would save posters the trouble of having to file a report every time they see a slur.

But again, I have no idea how any of this works and from what I can tell the mechanisms holding this forum together barely function as it is, so I wouldn't hope for this to be a reality, but if there is some computer wizard who wants to figure out how to implement this sort of thing, I would be for it. But it also depends on the feedback of the other posters and mods, and the admins who actually know how this poo poo works