Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I barely ever post in CSPAM, and only follow a few threads, so my opinion probably isn't particularly relevant, but for gently caress's sake, don't do poo poo like automating moderation with keyword searches, it's enough of a disaster elsewhere on the internet already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
im interested in whether or not moderation of slurs has improved over time & i doubt anyone could automate moderation on this mess of a website

but the statistical analysis is interesting, or it would be if carried out over more than 1 month of 1 thread

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
the other day someone posted a picture of a unusual chair, and someone reported it with the comment "who the gently caress would sit in a chair like that??"

I had to review this and examine the context and decide what to do about it. I chose to do nothing, but assessing this situation took up several minutes of my time.

this, and a bunch of other similarly stupid poo poo takes up the time of the mods and prevents them from scanning through the forums for slurs themselves. We hope that if there is something really horrible happening that someone will bring it to our attention by reporting it. But if we don't get a report, then it's easy for us to miss it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
slurbot9000 was decommissioned after a malicious actor reversed its polarity - vice media put out a hit piece

twoday
May 4, 2005

my dad posted:

I barely ever post in CSPAM, and only follow a few threads, so my opinion probably isn't particularly relevant, but for gently caress's sake, don't do poo poo like automating moderation with keyword searches, it's enough of a disaster elsewhere on the internet already.

yeah, ok, also don't do this, whatever. I am here to serve the whims of c-spam, if everyone decides this is a bad idea I am totally fine with dropping it too

twoday
May 4, 2005

slurbot9000 is a good username

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017

twoday posted:

I am unable to find any reports made in the past few weeks which were filed by your user name

weird ok, i will chalk it up to radium & move on. ty for following up

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
This I’m not in favor of at all. The community needs to be involved, good or bad. That’s why there are miscs.

Most threads self police and that’s good. Snitches stitches is dumb. And I’d rather hear an explanation vs a robot troll blindly reporting.

Reminder use the explanation field, otherwise you raise your likelihood of misc 90%.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Burt Sexual posted:

This I’m not in favor of at all. The community needs to be involved, good or bad. That’s why there are miscs.

Most threads self police and that’s good. Snitches stitches is dumb. And I’d rather hear an explanation vs a robot troll blindly reporting.

Reminder use the explanation field, otherwise you raise your likelihood of misc 90%.

haha, yeah, misc. that thing. love that. ive heard of it.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Burt Sexual posted:

reminder that I have been modding for less than a week and have no idea what I am talking about

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Burt Sexual posted:

otoh a lot of slurs are going unpunished

is that still a priority?

what if my robot troll shows current actions are ineffective?

lots of lip service at this point but i could produce numbers

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

seattle plague rat posted:

otoh a lot of slurs are going unpunished

is that still a priority?

what if my robot troll shows current actions are ineffective?

lots of lip service at this point but i could produce numbers

why don't you just have your robot find all the slurs, and then you read all the posts with slurs in them and click the report button on each if it seems it's warranted

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Dustcat posted:

why don't you just have your robot find all the slurs, and then you read all the posts with slurs in them and click the report button on each if it seems it's warranted

okay

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Free the political prisoners of CSPAM.

No mods no masters l.

gently caress you

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Joey Steel posted:

We stan our Brutalist fast food overlord.
there were several prototypes that didn't work so well though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJIjNs_s2NI&t=41s

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Varinn posted:

haha, yeah, misc. that thing. love that. ive heard of it.

when you wanna say “ok i have looked at and handled this report” you reply to the thread generated by the report, saying that the report is resolved (acted on), miscellaneous (no action needed), or bullshit (bullshit)

there isnt any functional distinction between marking something misc vs marking it bullshit. as a matter of policy, you will not see any retribution for filing a report, even a lovely one. im sure that has limits, but you would have to go to some extreme to find them

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZDl_R8Zp2E

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

twoday posted:

the other day someone posted a picture of a unusual chair, and someone reported it with the comment "who the gently caress would sit in a chair like that??"

I had to review this and examine the context and decide what to do about it. I chose to do nothing, but assessing this situation took up several minutes of my time.

this, and a bunch of other similarly stupid poo poo takes up the time of the mods and prevents them from scanning through the forums for slurs themselves. We hope that if there is something really horrible happening that someone will bring it to our attention by reporting it. But if we don't get a report, then it's easy for us to miss it.

lol nuts in slats. a fark.com classic

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

automating law enforcement has never gone wrong and this is totally not an insanely stupid idea made by a hall monitor weirdo

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
go post about it in fyad

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

this is what you should all work on if youre serious about inclusive language

serious here is very non-specific word, imo. It's about setting norms rather than crushing out of existence. Could the mods hunt down and expend effort? Yeah, but they already do that /w the background noises to begin with. You just set people up for burnout for basically bullshit work that doesn't really benefit the community at large.

twoday
May 4, 2005

welcome back

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
:smugdon:

twoday
May 4, 2005

:chaostrump:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'd appreciate a concrete mod opinion on poo-posting:

SKULL.GIF posted:

yes I do mean the predilection for goons to post about their shits, the consistency of their shits, the quality of their shits, the smells of their shits, the frequency of their shits, and so on. it's a type of posting that is interesting to strictly only the poster and not to anyone else reading it, and furthermore, it is disgusting.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

serious here is very non-specific word, imo. It's about setting norms rather than crushing out of existence. Could the mods hunt down and expend effort? Yeah, but they already do that /w the background noises to begin with. You just set people up for burnout for basically bullshit work that doesn't really benefit the community at large.

the community at large demanded an end to these slurs & got it

my original point was that mods dont seem to be catching very many of them

in response to that i was told they dont have the time or resources

well i dont have the time either but i do have the resources to give them accurate reporting

so i will until i get bored and request a ban like i do every time i start posting on SA

i rlly dont see how its functionally different than fyad arguing they should be able to say tr*nny and r*tard

i dont imagine i can be convinced anyway, its disgusting to me that anyone would argue for the leeway to throw out a casual ch*nk

i wont be debating the merits anymore & i hate that im having this convo w/posters i like

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Wheeee posted:

automating law enforcement has never gone wrong and this is totally not an insanely stupid idea made by a hall monitor weirdo

robocop was a good movie

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

well i dont have the time either but i do have the resources to give them accurate reporting

so i will until i get bored and request a ban like i do every time i start posting on SA

i rlly dont see how its functionally different than fyad arguing they should be able to say tr*nny and r*tard

i dont imagine i can be convinced anyway, its disgusting to me that anyone would argue for the leeway to throw out a casual ch*nk

i wont be debating the merits anymore & i hate that im having this convo w/posters i like

You can't end slurs, only punish them. That's why reporting has to happen for it to be enforced. This spreads out the information processing, as well as effort, since it is the community that draws the line (i.e. what they think when they see the post, severity of usage, etc. that contributes to report button being pushed). A lot of it is imo cspam is so quick, I've reread a page and wtf'd at seeing a post I was sure wasn't there. I'd be curious of users/reports compared to other forums. Definitely felt like there was an anti-report culture generally speaking last few years, but maybe that's just me.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

i'm a humble ik and i'll probably be rotated at the end of the month but i was serious when i said i will 6er any mention of the r word that i see, but i don't have access to the mod queue and i can't be online 24/7 so i'll repeat that if you tell me directly i'll act until the buttons are taken away from me

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nobody is saying anyone should be allowed to use slurs, we're saying that your insane criteria of "less than 100% of slur usage has been punished, ergo mods are impllying that slurs are ok to use" is stupid as hell.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah IKs can't see reports. IKs can only punish a post if they happen upon it or someone tells them about it. When that one guy spammed every thread a couple weeks ago with the hitler cumshot picture i 6ered him, asked for a ban, and tried to edit the picture out of every post of his i could find but i'm sure i missed some

maybe letting iks see the report queue but still not letting them give out anything more than a 6er without mod approval would help mods handle it all

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Apr 29, 2020

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I support slurbot as it is the first step to automating mods out of a job and because it would piss off/report all the right people.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
very lol that ik's basically fly blind, i forgot about that

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A robot that reports slurs?? Why don't we go the whole hog and just name it skynet????

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

twoday posted:

Hello everyone! As Squizzle mentioned above, I am a mod now. I am still figuring out how everything works, and trying my best to not be an rear end in a top hat.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any issues you want to discuss with me.

When are we going to the loving Azores?

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
I hear the BCG vaccine prevents 6ers.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005