Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

twoday posted:

This is being discussed

Yeah, as someone who recently ate a toxx ban I wasn't planning on paying the extra :10bux: for plat until I kept running across stuff that really deserved a report and I couldn't. It's not the worst but it made dealing with pretty much anything in D&D annoying because people could be really antagonistic and my two options were hope someone else reported them or post through it which is frowned on in some places compared to C-Spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

oxsnard posted:

i will buy you plat. What is your email

Thanks but I'm good! It was less a "I can't afford ten bucks" and more a "ugh, I'm giving the dude's spine ten bucks again?" But it really stood out to me how not having report feels lovely because if someone is being a huge dick to you your only options are walk away and let them have it or argue some more which isn't really the right option. I know you can PM mods too but it's obviously easier to slip a complaint into the complaint box.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I feel like Succ zone works best when it's mocking "famous" figures. That can range from people holding political office, to their aides, to whichever K-Hive grifter is really popular this week. But it's funniest when it's someone who holds a tiny bit of power even if that power is their own goofy internet clubhouse.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

oxsnard posted:

The best succ is from those who get into slapfights with internet randos (see tanden, neera and yglesias, matt)

Absolutely. It is incredibly funny every time someone with the job of "commentator" or "advisor" or "pro opinion haver" has a meltdown because they choose to be on a website that is literally just giving everyone a soap box and street corner.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, people try to whataboutism on them in both ways but they're totally fine.

Anyways, it's wild that the fallout from this involves someone getting accused of being a Louisgod alt (they were not) for calling out Fluff and that someone else freaking out about dangerous cspam also ate a perma for harassing people outside of SA.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it is worth a shot. I think the tradeoff to not a lot of rules and getting to self-police is that everyone in the community has the right to ask people to chill and everyone should chill some.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I mean, two days ago you thought we were trading explicit pipe bomb recipes so uh, I guess I'm glad you found the perspective to realize that C-Spam is a poo poo load of people and that generally we both don't want someone to brag about their sick dunks on a kid and also don't want people acting like we're all dunking on the kid and want to drag him to the guillotine. So uh yeah, it's not fair to paint everyone in C-Spam is a deranged murder-fantasy psycho.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eh, I think it's easy to get a bad first impression because you take the worst posts as the consensus. But if you keep doing it, argue against evidence in the opposite, and keep doing it without trying to take in more of the community than you're just being willfully ignorant.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, contacting someone's work according to Leper's. I'm not going to try to make guesses, it is just funny that it was someone who thought C-Spam is a child harassment factory was also you know, harassing adults in real life.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Honestly it'd just be nice to have more insight into how mods view these issues, what their priorities are, and how they view the different voices. Because a lot of my concern is the fact that the people calling for the closure of C-Spam keep getting told that every argument is listened to and no one in qcs believes in bad faith arguments. And while I do think there are people with real concerns about death threats and child harassment (they're dumb don't do it) I'd also like to know that the people who are pretty much going "Why do all those r-words keep making death threats" are not taken seriously and are recognized as just being troublemakers.

Overall I feel like we're in a weird spot where no one really wants to take responsibility or be the bad guy. We give a lot of people a lot of room to be really awful people instead of just showing them the door. Even though one of SA's biggest selling points is that people can actually be told to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think those are really nice ways to think of yourselves but they don't stand up to two realities. First, mods do play a role in culture, a really big one, because mods pretty much decide what the rules are and how enforcement of rules happens. That has a huge effect on a culture. Second, you're always going to have an outsized voice if you like it or not. Humans are stupid so our brains are always going to give extra importance to the person wearing the stupid badge. Especially if that person has any sort of power over us. Being a mod isn't that powerful but it's enough that you're going to have an oversized voice.

edit: As a specific example of number 1, a lot of people asked for harder crackdowns on slurs but that didn't happen until mods put it in effect, because they're gatekeepers on what rules get put in place, and those changes have had a big effect on forums culture. Spotty enforcement and different mod attitudes also means that the culture from sub to sub in regards to slurs is different. That's primarily mods effecting forum culture.

Gumball Gumption has issued a correction as of 05:40 on May 15, 2020