Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Hello, I'm drygear aka Puzzled Oysters aka other things elsewhere. I'm going to play Pathologic 2 for you.

First thing's first: you do not need to know anything about the original Pathologic for this thread or to play Pathologic 2. That's because Pathologic 2 is a remake/reimagining of the first Pathologic. Consider yourself lucky because you get to go in blind.

I think one of the most striking things about reading and writing about Pathlogic is that it becomes hard to believe it's a real game because everything about it sounds like a creepypasta. I know when I first read about it in a thorough multi-part feature I wasn't sure the author wasn't just making up large parts of it until other people confirmed that those things actually do happen.
Pathologic is a Russian game that had its English release in 2006, to poor reviews and sales. The reviewers weren't wrong, either, because it had some glaring flaws. For starters the graphics looked dated by 2006 standards and it's just ugly besides that, everything is brown or rust colored. As a game it feels actively hostile, with a lot of ways to die and even if you can survive for a while it can be confusing and unclear what you're supposed to do. The worst part is that the localization was rushed and poorly done so it was often unclear what people were saying.
Some people who had the patience to look past these flaws pushed through and found that Pathologic was like no other game because of its bizarre style, fourth wall breaking, clashing agendas, and singularly strong atmosphere. A lot of those flaws- the ugly environment, brutal difficulty, and refusal to hold your hand- turned out to be important pieces to the unique experience, designed to make whoever plays it feel the kind of frustration and despair that someone who is really in this situation would.
Word spread and future Ice-Pick Lodge games found better success. There was a fan translation in the works for a while but I don't think it was ever released.
In 2014 Ice-Pick Lodge launched a successful kickstarter to remake Pathologic with better graphics, game mechanics, and a new script with a high quality localization. After a few years they announced that they would release an HD Remaster of Pathologic with a new translation, while development of the remake would be continued under the title Pathologic 2. Pathologic 2 was finished and released in 2019. Well, not exactly finished, but I'll go into that later, and we'll discuss the first Pathologic more later. Now let's talk about Pathlogic 2.

It's best to know as little about Pathlogic 2 as possible before you start, to just let it reveal itself to you. It's set in first person and begins with you returning to your hometown, and once you arrive the entire game takes place there. The town is never given a name, and even the time period of the setting is vague. The game largely consists of you walking all over town accomplishing various tasks. If it helps, when Pathologic came out a lot of people compared it to Oblivion. It has the same kind of open structure, and there's even some combat and thieving, but Pathologic 2 doesn't have RPG elements and you play a fixed character. What it does have is a story that reacts to what you do and don't do. It's magic in the same way that Deus Ex was, but this goes well beyond that. It's clear early on that the game reacts to what you do, but it's often in vague ways. It makes me feel paranoid, wondering how my actions will play out.
Failure is inevitable, and that's even a theme of the game. It wants to keep you in that space where you're always on the brink of defeat.

This will be a video LP. This is a very text heavy game but that is the format I want to work with. This is likely to just be a single playthrough of the game rather than an exhaustive look at it, but I might consider showing more if people express interest and I have time.
I'm thinking I'll update about once a week, but I might slow it down from that even.

Um, I think that's everything I needed to say for now. If I think of something else I'll come back and add it.

:siren:SPOILER POLICY:siren:
Don't post about anything not shown yet in my videos. Don't post about anything from the first Pathologic unless it has absolutely no bearing on what happens in this game.
I've only played up to about day 5 before (stopped playing to make my last LP) so I'll be discovering a lot of this myself. If you want to request that I show off a specific thing, make it vague and put it in spoiler boxes.

Table of Contents:
Prologue
Episode 1
Day 1
Episode 2: A Warm Welcome
Episode 3: The Trial
:nws: Episode 4: The Surgeon :nws:
Episode 5: The Dead Item Shop
Day 2
Episode 6- Wandering
Episode 7- The Funeral
Episode 8- The List
Episode 9: Speaking to the Dead
Episode 10: Got Yourself a Gun
Episode 11: Scavenger Hunt
Episode 12: The Queen of Worms
Day 3
Episode 13: 2020 Survival Simulator
Intermission: Let's Look At Pathologic
Episode 14: The House Where Death Sleeps
Episode 15: Life During Plaguetime
Day 4
Episode 16: Why Sticky is Good Actually
Episode 17: The Countdown has Started
Episode 18: Chasing Sounds
Day 5
Episode 19: Sacrifices
Episode 20: Failures and Setbacks
Day 6
Episode 21: The Tumor is Growing
Episode 22: The Two Rats
Intermission: Starting Over And Catching Up
Episode 23- Meeting Murky's Friend
Day 7
Episode 24: The Inquisitor

A good resource about the Steppe Language: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1100kWdlNHjFXciOznCpGWMhmoQ6N1hJzDnzfR1oPzrk/edit#heading=h.ybdy6t2zcx9k

drygear fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
To begin I'll post the first three videos right here. I'll probably post the 4th on Sunday.

Episode 1- Prologue
Welcome to my let's play! In this video I'll go through the tutorial and a very strange train ride. I begin my practice of showing off every item description. I don't have a methodical way of doing this so if I miss something feel free to let me know.

Episode 2- Day 1: A Warm Welcome
This episode marks my arrival in my hometown, where I'm sure everyone will be happy to see me. We meet some new people and learn about trading. I visit my father's house.

Episode 3- Day 1: The Trial
In which I meet some friends old and new, and am the judge in a murder trial.

drygear fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 29, 2020

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Excited for this. Similarly, have been exposed to Pathologic through stories as well as a few old LPs here. Curious to see how this remaster/rerelease/rewhatever worked.

- There's one on the LP archive, and probably some old threads with archives.
https://lparchive.org/Pathologic/

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
I just updated with the second and third videos.

I think it was a Rock Paper Shotgun article where I first heard about this. I didn't want to mention it in the LP because it spoils the entire thing. Which reminds me, I need to update the LP with a spoiler policy. I don't think I even read the whole thing because I decided I'd play Pathologic on my own sometime. For the same reason I haven't read the LPs of the first one. I kept putting if off playing it and then they announced this one and I wanted to wait and play it instead.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

drygear posted:

I just updated with the second and third videos.

I think it was a Rock Paper Shotgun article where I first heard about this. I didn't want to mention it in the LP because it spoils the entire thing. Which reminds me, I need to update the LP with a spoiler policy. I don't think I even read the whole thing because I decided I'd play Pathologic on my own sometime. For the same reason I haven't read the LPs of the first one. I kept putting if off playing it and then they announced this one and I wanted to wait and play it instead.

There IS overlap, but the two games are actually fairly different. I adored the first one, but I just haven't had the time to deal with the second that much, so..we'll see I guess!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I started watching a playthrough of this some months back and found it really stressful and never got around to finishing it, so hell yeah now sounds like a great time to jump back in!

Genuinely though one video a week is probably about my pace right now, looking forward to it, it's such an interesting game with so many unique ideas.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
^^^
I've done an LP before where I did two a week and I discovered that it was way ahead of how most people were watching it. One of those things that seems counterintuitively true is that there's such a thing as too fast a pace.

thetruegentleman posted:

There IS overlap, but the two games are actually fairly different. I adored the first one, but I just haven't had the time to deal with the second that much, so..we'll see I guess!
Interesting. I'd assumed that it followed the same story beats as the original.

:siren:New update:siren:
Be aware this this video is NSFW because it has a topless woman.

Episode 4- Day 1: The Surgeon :nws:
In which I recreate the same mistake I made when I played the demo, meet some old friends, am given an opportunity to change the past, and find shelter.
This one is longer than I what I normally aim for, but this is how I think it should be.

Edit: Lol that is not the thread tag I meant to pick

drygear fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 5, 2020

azren
Feb 14, 2011

This certainly is plenty interesting. Kinda sad you can't play as the Changeling; I really liked her concept from what I read.

I wonder if you can keep dad alive by doing things differently in the prologue, with how much of a thing they make of not wasting time.

On the subject of Icepick Lodge games in general, I'd really love to see someone take a fresh swing at The Void.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
^^^^
I hear there's some kind of easter egg in the prologue but I don't know what it is. Your father's death is a huge part of the story though so I don't think there's any way to change that.
I bought The Void when it first came out, I don't think it was on any digital platforms and it wasn't published in the US so they shipped the DVD overseas. I had trouble figuring it out though so I didn't get far into it. I wanted to revisit it but never got to it, I hear they patched it to make it easier.

Now were are on to Episode 5! Compared to the previous it's a little less eventful, setting the stage for a lot of future events.
Episode 5- The Dead Item Shop

I might end up skipping next week, or it might be a short video. I've got upcoming stuff I'm doing with my family over the internet, I have to create a character for a new RPG campaign, and I've picked up a couple of other hobbies, plus I'm still working full-time throughout this thing. We shall see though!

Mootiman
May 9, 2005
This game seems sooo much more accessible than the first one. The translation really seems more polished too! I watched the SSLP of it before and it really didn't give me a good idea of how this game played so it's nice to see it in video.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Yeah they really put a lot of effort into production quality and presentation. The localization is one of the best I've ever seen, they hired a bunch of writers to work on it under the supervision of one of IPL's writers. Here's a twitter thread of one of the localization writers talking about his experiences. There's no spoilers here, but he links to a thread by another writer who worked on it, and that one talks about some stuff that's ahead of where I am now. https://twitter.com/bravemule/status/1131985295673573377

So anyway I was keeping this a secret but I don't see a need to any more. I'm going to spend at least one video taking a look at the original Pathologic, to show how Artemy's story begins there. Possibly as soon as the next update, it depends on how long the next Pathologic 2 video is.
But it occurred to me that the first Pathologic says upfront something that the 2nd one seems to hold onto and only hint at. It's in the marketing materials and the description on the steam page, but Pathologic 2 hasn't actually revealed its central premise at this point in the game. Maybe it's incredibly obvious to anyone even if they haven't seen those, I honestly have no idea.

edit: I ran this by a friend of mine who is watching this going in blind, I asked if he knows what the game's about and his guess is that it's about solving the murder and "helping the town fix their poo poo", so I'm going to hold off on showing any of the first Pathologic until things unfold a little more.

drygear fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 12, 2020

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Episode 6 is now up. In this one I do something I've never done before, which is just go exploring for a bit (I still load my game after!)
The audio for my voice track in this one and the next one are worse than usual, sorry about that. The good news is I think going forward I've figured out how to improve it overall.

Episode 6- Wandering

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I have a sneaking suspicion that things are not going to go well in this playthrough...

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog

azren posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that things are not going to go well in this playthrough...
IDK Artemy just has to wrap up his father's business, and things will settle down. It's a nice place, just a few minor things like crazed murderers wandering around at night, workers crammed into a building like termites, food shipments not coming in, the children all living in a tower made of paper, a death counter at the end of the day, respected townsfolk who have been murdered. Okay, I guess that is a lot, but I don't think it can get much worse at least!

:siren:New Update!:siren:
Episode 7: Day 2- The Funeral
In which Artemy accepts his father's legacy.

This one's the shortest yet, but a lot happens in it!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I recently finished playing this game and I've been thinking about it alot since then. I dare say it crossed the "games as art" threshold it's incredibly unique and differently and singularly emotionally engaging.

I am curious about how well it will work as an LP though, playing it I was incredibly drawn into it and I believe it got the intended emotions and reactions out of me, making me stressed, frustrated and determined to see it through, it felt incredibly personal in a way I don't really think I've encoutnered in other games.

Anyway what I'm saying is that unlike a lot of other story-rich games I think that Pathologic (1 and 2) might end up losing a great deal more from someone just spectating it rather than playing it, because you don't have that same experience of actually playing it (and an important part of this game is actually losing out on story content because of other overriding concenrs), there is a great deal of ludo-narrative cohesion in this game (I think that's how that word is used) in contrast to many other games that you might enjoy for the plot, because the emotions and experiences you get out of actually playing it are crucial to what the game is trying to say.

Sorry if this might sound a bit pretentious and as a warning. But this is not an easy game to approach or counter, but it is fantastic and I encourage anyone who is even slightly curious about it to buy and play it for themselves. Seriously there is nothing else quite like this (well, Pathologic 1, but Pathologic 1, while regarded as fantastic is simultaneously regared as terrible, by the same people). Also I really want the other paths to come out.

azren posted:

This certainly is plenty interesting. Kinda sad you can't play as the Changeling; I really liked her concept from what I read.

In Pathologic 1 the Changeling was locked behind completing one of the other two, and really her whole character and story was very much tied into already being very familiar with the game.

Spoiler
She already knows the twist

Also her content was very much rushed out the door and hacked together compared to the other two. Which is saying something for a game that is already pretty remarkable for its jank.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
I agree that it's not the same if you're not playing it yourself. My view on LPs is always that if someone quits watching my videos and plays the game instead, that's about the highest compliment I can get. I haven't finished some of my favorite LPs because I went and did that myself. Sometimes I can bounce off a game and not get into it or get what I should be doing but seeing someone play through the early parts and make progress will give me an idea of how to approach things.
But otherwise I try to provide the next best thing, it's why I think this game works as a video LP despite all the text, and why I'm not going to edit out the walking around parts, and I think the fact that I don't have mastery of a game I'm doing makes for a different LP because I will be struggling myself. Kudos BTW for using "ludo-narrative cohesion", I was just recently reading someone making some good points about how "ludonarrative dissonance" is generally a poorly used term, and one of the points they made is nobody ever uses the word "ludonarrative" except to pair it with dissonance, but here you are doing exactly that.
But you know, some filmmakers insist the only true way to experience it is in the theater, but for some people it just works better to watch at home. For some people watching an LP works better than playing the game.
Pathologic 2 is 50% off on GOG right now for anyone who is interested. If you happen to be coming into this blind, and these videos are all you know of the game, try not to actually read the store page! In fact I'll just paste the url without making it a link. https://www.gog.com/game/pathologic_2

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
This next one is going up a little early, just in case something crazy happens this weekend like they cut off everyone's internet. I'm not too far outside Minneapolis.
So, here it is!
Episode 8- The List
In which Artemy visits his father's house

I really like this stretch of the game, starting with the last video and going through to at least the next one or two.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
It's time for Episode 9: Speaking to the Dead!
Or: Artemy goes to med school.

By the way, I've forgotten to mention it but I got a youtube comment a while ago that the language used by the steppe people is Buryat. I tried to do a little more research about that and it's hard to find examples of the Buryat language because everything I've seen uses the Cyrillic alphabet. I ended up just typing a really common phrase ("be kharat") into google to see what I'd get and it took me to a page specifically about Pathologic. I found a couple of pages and forum posts saying it's a mixture of a bunch of languages and figured that was that, but I followed the sources on one of those wiki pages and found this really useful resource for the Steppe language:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1100kWdlNHjFXciOznCpGWMhmoQ6N1hJzDnzfR1oPzrk/edit#heading=h.ybdy6t2zcx9k

They document the origins of a lot of the words and it looks like most of them are specifically from Buryat. I guess every language has a mixture of words from other languages, so some of the words could be common to Buryat and other regional languages.
Anyway, I'm thinking I might start providing some of those translations in the videos themselves starting after this one. I'll probably start doing it in post-commentary, which means pausing the video for a second while I talk about what the individual words mean and try to piece the full meaning of the sentence together. If anyone thinks that will get in the way or they enjoy figuring it out on their own, let me know. Another option could be adding a subtitle track in youtube so people who don't want to see it can leave it disabled.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hi op just incase you were wondering about your audience add +1 to it from me. Will happily watch whatever you're doing for this interesting game.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog

Gridlocked posted:

Hi op just incase you were wondering about your audience add +1 to it from me. Will happily watch whatever you're doing for this interesting game.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

I have the next episode ready. This one is the shortest because I ended up having to edit out about 10 minutes, but there's a lot that happens in it.

Episode 10: Got Yourself a Gun

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Episode 11 is now up.
Episode 11: Scavenger Hunt

This is the last of the episodes I have recorded so far, actually I had all the episodes up to this point recorded when I started the thread, I've just been editing them in between weeks. I don't think it'll delay me, but it might!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I don't know if I love or hate this game's dialogue.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
I think it's some of the best dialogue I've ever read, I don't know what there isn't to like about it, unless it's too clever. I feel that way about some of Failbetter's writing, it's a little overwritten for my taste and gets in its own way.
By the way, I've had to take some time off work so I'm making decent progress on the LP, so at least this week and next week it'll be up on Sunday like usual. I might even just upload it tomorrow, it's longer than usual so maybe people could use extra time to watch it.

drygear fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 27, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

I feel that way about some of Failbetter's writing, it's a little overwritten for my taste and gets in its own way.

I think I sort of feel this way honestly. The metaphor-on-metaphor combat gets kind of tiring, but on the other hand why are you playing Pathologic if you don't like that kind of thing

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
I was thinking about this and remembered that my last video ended with Mark Immortell and now I definitely know where you're coming from because I find him insufferable. From the way he looks, to how he spells his name, to how he talks and what he says. The thing with this game is that I can't even say that isn't the intent.
Anyway in general I do actually get why someone would feel that way. The writing for this game is very thick; for me the characters are so well-written and realized that most of the time it works. I love how different characters have different ways of talking, some are pompous and others are direct, and it helps that a lot of the game is really funny.
I was going to give an example of this game's dialogue that I love from a scene with Lara Ravel that I just realized is in the next episode, speaking of...

Episode 12: The Queen of Worms

It's a little hard to tell how interesting these will be to watch, and for the early going in this episode I'm going to have to hope that the game's atmosphere alone will be enough to carry my viewers through. I personally think it's enough that it's worth keeping in and not editing out, I'm just needing to ask for more patience than I'm normally comfortable with.
The very end (like in the last minute) of this video is possibly :nws: for silhouette nudity.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
All right everyone, this is where poo poo gets real.
Episode 13: 2020 Survival Simulator

Now that the premise of the game is finally revealed, the next episode will be a look at the first Pathologic, the version with the original translation and voice acting.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Here it is, my look at the first Pathologic. This is the gog version of the original release, with the original translation and voice acting, and it's in 4:3. I'm not used to working in 4:3, I have a misaligned subtitle near the end of the video that I forgot to fix but it's unimportant.
Like I say in the video, Pathologic 2 was originally pitched as a Pathologic remake. thetruegentleman in this thread says that it's significantly different, so it's possible that it wasn't just for marketing purposes that they changed the name to Pathologic 2, they might have changed enough in development.
I edited out most of the opening conversation because it's really hard to hear what they're saying. I found a transcript but I looked at it a little and stopped because I don't know if it'll end up being a spoiler or not, it sounds like it's an argument between the three doctors that happens later on.
Intermission: Let's Look At Pathologic

Oh, by the way! Last week I read that they're working on The Bachelor's chapter! I'm so glad they are, just a few weeks ago I was trying to look into it and it sounded like they might not get to make it because the game didn't sell as well as they'd hoped. https://www.pcgamer.com/pathologic-2s-next-chapter-will-be-quite-different-to-the-first/

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Next episode is here.
Episode 14: The House Where Death Sleeps
In this episode I break the spirit of the game a little and replay the same section a few times- I edited out the other attempts.
Spoiler for end of the episode If I'd known Notkin would get infected either way I wouldn't have scrambled so much to complete the house before midnight

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
I've been gone the last couple of days but I'm home in time to get the next episode posted! This one is a little disjointed because I had a session split between two videos but then I had to edit some redundant parts out and take some from the next episode to keep this from being too short, so the end is a little abrupt.
Episode 15: Life During Plaguetime

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Here's the next one. Episode 16: Why Sticky is Good Actually
I gently caress up one of the sidequests in this episode but don't realize it yet. I kind of wonder if it's a common thing because the very same thing happened to me when I played before but I forgot about it until after I made the mistake again. I disagree with a lot of the criticism of this game, but this is the kind of flaw in games I really dislike, it happens in RPGs sometimes too where you try to do a quest but you don't hit the exact trigger so it doesn't recognize what you did.

Edit: I just saw a youtube commenter point something out that I forgot to: I didn't see the bag next to sticky when I was playing. I manage to find it later but not before I miss it again.

drygear fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 3, 2020

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Happy Sunday, everyone. I have my next episode ready to go.
Episode 17: The Countdown has Started
This is close to how far I've gotten when I played back when this came out. I got frustrated with the major quest of the day because I made the same mistake I do again here, but I didn't want to go back and do the day again or carry on so I just decided to take a break and start over in like a year. It's frustrating now but I'm trying to roll with the game's ethos of living with failure. There'll be plenty more of that up ahead.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
I'm a bit later with this one. I haven't gone to bed yet, so for me it's still Sunday.
Episode 18: Chasing Sounds

I gotta say, recording this is getting harder and harder! Sometimes I have to do it in shorter bursts because the stress of the game combined with the heat makes it hard for me to concentrate. Gonna power through but it's rough going for sure. I'm putting faith in what the people who worked on the game said about pushing through failure, that some of the best parts of the game come from bad outcomes.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Happy Sunday everyone. Episode 19: Sacrifices

This episode is the longest yet. I was going to split it in half and make it 2 40 minute episodes, but I decided with the way the game is paced one longer episode is better.
I am probably not going to upload one next Sunday since this one is a lot longer. I'm guessing the next one will be about the same length but I won't know for sure until I get deeper into editing it.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
And here it is, episode 20! I think it was worth the extra week, I hope you will agree. I'm not thrilled with how the audio commentary track turned out, especially in the second half, there was a ton of background noise.
Episode 20: Failures and Setbacks
The title is pretty obvious, I think. I make a lot of mistakes. At this point of the game I almost always feel like I'm just on the cusp of complete failure. The thing I keep in mind is that I have two objectives: Keep myself alive, and keep the people on my list alive. Everything else is of lesser importance. Am I managing that much at least? Watch and find out.
Next episode will be up in two more weeks.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
These are getting harder and harder to record every time. I think sometimes if I should go back to day 4 and not make as many mistakes, but then I manage to scrape by and keep going. I'm hoping watching me struggle here is part of the appeal because that's definitely not changing. This one and the next one are both about an hour long, I recorded the bulk of the two episodes in one session. I'm going to stick to the current two week schedule for now though because I barely got this one in time. If I can get far enough ahead I can make them more frequent.
Episode 21: The Tumor is Growing

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Here it is, Episode 22: The Two Rats.
Pretty much a direct continuation of the last one. I must have been kind of sleepy when I recorded the commentary to this one, I hope you don't mind too much.
We're starting to head towards a few answers. We learn a few things about some characters, and we finally meet a character whose name we've been hearing since early in the game.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I know a lot of people aren't commenting between videos; I wanted you to know I'm enjoying them and I look forward to each episode.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Thanks Spookyelectric! I know by viewer numbers people are watching but it's good to hear that from someone anyway. I don't mind as long as people are enjoying it, when I started this I was anxious that this thread might get more attention than I wanted to deal with.

:siren:THREAD UPDATE:siren:
While recording the next episode I've still been struggling, it's difficult because for once I'm great on food but my health is low and my infection is dragging it down. I died again and was about to, and I've decided to just start the game from the beginning.
It might be an extra week or two until my next video because I'll have to catch up. It won't take as long as it did the first time for sure. In the meantime, maybe I'll share some things I observe about the playthrough and how it's going:
- It is worth seeing the beginning again, but I wouldn't recommend doing it at this time, maybe not until after the game ends. Nothing in there is a spoiler per se but the story does seem to count on you forgetting what you see there.
- I'm going through the dialogue mostly as quickly as I can trying to pick similar things to what I already did just in case I accidentally change something. I did get some conversations with different tones than I had before.
- Near the beginning of the game when you first meet Bad Grief he wants you to look at some wounded associates of his. This time around I discovered that they were the ones who set the fire to the steppe woman who you see burned at the stake. I don't think that detail came up before! I knew they killed someone but not that they were responsible for her. My guess is that this time around I discovered her before patching them up and maybe I didn't this time, so Artemy wouldn't have asked about that specifically.
- You first meet Notkin in his warehouse, he says he's going to put on a trial and the other Soul and a Halfs are in the warehouse with him. Murky is also hanging out in that warehouse! You can't talk to her but it's interesting seeing her there because I thought she'd kept to herself. I wonder if she's a soul and a half as well, and as I was typing this it's making me wonder if her friend she talks about is the half.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Here's a few other interesting things I've found:
- A different dream sequence. It's short and not very consequential, you are atop one of those strange staircases to nowhere at nighttime and the Rat Prophet is there, the one who appears outside the theater after you have died a certain number of times. Basically he tells you to be careful not to sleep too much, or you will miss things in town.

When I investigated my father's house the first time I must have missed some important cabinets and drawers because I found some items I didn't see the first time. Here's what they are:

The cloak is exactly what I had been missing to upgrade my inventory. I ended up leaving the cotton behind because I didn't have room for it.

Also, I made slightly different dialogue choices in my first conversation with Rubin, and he revealed an interesting detail I missed before. He's blaming me for not arriving sooner after Isidor sent the letter.

So he says the first letter was sent in May. This takes place in September. I wonder what's going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
I'm at the start of day 4 now, after the disease has hit and I'm to report to the theater for work. I'm doing pretty good on resources and haven't died yet so most things are going well. However...