Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Previous Thread: Auspol Summer - I wish I could use posts to wipe my rear end

Our Australian Community
Discord for Auspol:
https://discord.gg/RnrnNXt
AusGBS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910734
Auspol Chill out Zone:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3690833

In the interests of making sure all Australian communities are seen and heard. Please be on your best behaviour.

Anidav posted:

It is time for Auspol Autumn.

This poo poo thread is over.

Australian News

This man is the most popular PM in a decade.

Other News

Some virus or something has hosed the world, if you don't know about it by now get back in your bunker and come back out in a few months.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTDiC0huVDs

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

wise from yo gwave

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Couldn't even wait for the start of a new month, mister speaker

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Who cares about months anymore

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

word cloud

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Gas cloud

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anidav posted:

Gas cloud

Hehehe fart

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/chinese-consul-general-crashes-hunt-s-press-conference-20200429-p54oa6.html

Chinese consul general crashes Hunt’s press conference

quote:

Big business has swooped in on high-stakes political negotiations with China, parachuting in one of China’s top diplomats to speak at a Commonwealth office event as relationships between Canberra and Beijing deteriorate.

Fortescue chairman Andrew Forrest surprised Health Minister Greg Hunt by inviting Victorian China Consul General Zhou Long to speak alongside him on Wednesday after the mining billionaire secured 10 million coronavirus tests from China, a 20-fold increase in Australia’s testing capacity.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
It's time all Australia agrees, the Morrison government's excellent handling of the coronavirus app's security and privacy issues grants them our complete confidence in their conception of a Dutton-lead data mega-agency

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
New Thread, New Shitposts.

Post the reports Anidav.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

As part of this there will apparently be enough tests to do 10 million in Australia by the end of the year. If that is staggered out (ie they can start soon, not that we'll have 10 million ready to go in December) it's really great news for health authorities being able to ramp up testing as part of re-opening the country.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The UwU virus

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
quick lets get to page 2 because the op sucks

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

hooman posted:

New Thread, New Shitposts.

Post the reports Anidav.

Reporting JBP Is For Cowards

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I said earlier I was going to make a new thread, but then I didn’t.

I guess you could say I decided not to.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gridlocked posted:

Reporting JBP Is For Cowards

old and busted - reporting jpb
new and shiny - never replying to any jpb post

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
I am sorry I killed the last thread.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BurgerQuest posted:

quick lets get to page 2 because the op sucks

:(

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BurgerQuest posted:

old and busted - reporting jpb
new and shiny - never replying to any jpb post

Broke - reporting jbp
Woke - never replying to jbp
Bespoke - posting so badly you get the thread gassed

Fake Edit: I don't actually condone reporting or not replying to JBP, because while I may disagree with some of their takes, they do post in good faith. Hell, let he who is without being a dumbass cast the first stone because gently caress knows I had a huge dumb argument because I totally misunderstood what labor was voting against just recently.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
poo poo thread, poo poo country, poo poo post

A Wild Animal
Dec 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Captain James Cock

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Sweaty Captain James Cock on the HMS Bark End-Haver sails to Arse-straya

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Senor Tron posted:

As part of this there will apparently be enough tests to do 10 million in Australia by the end of the year. If that is staggered out (ie they can start soon, not that we'll have 10 million ready to go in December) it's really great news for health authorities being able to ramp up testing as part of re-opening the country.

Who knows, maybe three or four of the tests might even work.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

A Wild Animal posted:

Captain James Cock

Why can't we spend millions on that statue?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
If there was this much whinging about some fairly mild deprivations in the 1940s we'd have surrendered to the Japs within 10 minutes

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

If there was this much whinging about some fairly mild deprivations in the 1940s we'd have surrendered to the Japs within 10 minutes

the bunnings staff aren't paid enough to have to listen to you grandad, go home

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
On schools chat: so the Australian taxpayer is supposed to shoulder the burden just because some people don't want to be responsible for themselves and their own decisions? Sounds like communism to me

Wait, I might be thinking of unemployment

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

This man is the most popular PM in a decade.

Is this actually true?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

freebooter posted:

Is this actually true?

How could it not be.

E: pretty sure all premiers are also enjoying record approval ratings. It means nothing.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP posted:

How could it not be.

E: pretty sure all premiers are also enjoying record approval ratings. It means nothing.

Except Queensland for some worrying reason.

I dunno the reason lol.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

The world runs much faster these days. Everyone has forgotten about the Bushfires stuff up, and by the next election I'd wager they forget all about this period too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pleasant Friend posted:

The world runs much faster these days. Everyone has forgotten about the Bushfires stuff up, and by the next election I'd wager they forget all about this period too.

They will live in the economic fallout and anyone standing for the ALP or Greens will be held accountable like they personally flew out of a cave on their leathery wings and began force feeding themselves to the initial victims of coronavirus, destroying the economy.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

JBP posted:

How could it not be.

If you follow the Trump school of leadership?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Finally C-spam gets an Auspol thread

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
a mate told me that if PM/government support goes up during a crisis it apparently usually goes down again hard the next year, and PM/gov support usually goes down in the lead up to an election, so for anybody interested in polls, there should be some interesting swings to obsessively track before it all inevitably gets discarded and murdoch just lays the crown on whomever he wants

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

A Wild Animal posted:

Captain James Cock

I also would have accepted Captain James Cooked

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Is coronavirus over yet? Need to know whether I can still get away with wearing casual at work

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Re: schoolchat

I'm a secondary teacher, we started back on Tuesday. We're open for kids of essential workers, those who can't leave their children home alone (which if they're in secondary, means they're either special needs or you don't trust them... for some reason...), or really, anyone who feels like sending them to school - there's no follow up or judgement or whatever, we just ask you keep you child at home for now if you can but we'll take them if you can't/won't. To me, this seems like the most common-sense middle ground for the time being.

What it looks like:

The students need constant reminders to not be touching each other's devices and learning materials, sitting close together, etc. I'd say half of it is forgetting, half is not caring/not taking it seriously. Ball games are on at recess and lunch, etc. IMO it's not surprising the government has now said that social distancing doesn't have to take place in schools; the idea that it could is an absolute farce and contradicts their narrative that schools are definitely safe. As neither a virologist nor an epidmeiologist I'm not saying they're conclusively unsafe, but from the extremely limited dataset used in the report, coupled with the very clear agenda being pushed and gaps in logic you could drive a freight train through, I'm skeptical and think we should give it another month or so.

We started off with about 10% attendance yesterday, maybe an additional 2-3% more attending today. This is a fair bit more than we had at the end of Term 1. Seems to be a mix of kids with special learning needs, those who don't have a choice, a few who wanted to come for a change of scenery/to see their mates, and some whose parents are probably sick of dealing with them as the teachers get :v: The ones who come in work on the online stuff, with teachers rostered on to float around and help as needed. We've bulked up some of the supervisory requirements by engaging some of our regular CRTs for crowd control, but at current numbers the regular classroom teachers also need to do a few 50 minute supervision sessions per week, on top of managing the online stuff.

The general, unofficial consensus among staff is that barring a serious outbreak in our area, we'll be at a critical mass of students attending in a few weeks time, to where the online stuff is going to have to go by the wayside as the number of staff needed to supervise the face-to-face students rises. There is no way any of us have the time to manage a dual-track system so those kids are going to be left with whatever scraps they get sent. Personally, the pessimist in me thinks Andrews is right: bank on Term 2 being online only and try to do as good a job with that as you can (with an eye towards hopefully opening in Term 3). Asking teachers to pivot to distance learning on a dime is hard enough, asking us to do it with half-arsed support and resources, with the potential of having the rug jerked out from under us on short notice makes it impossible, and incredibly demoralising. Remember that the median teacher is middle-aged (the 50% attrition rate in the first five years helps skew the figure), so there are a lot of teething issues with adapting to a digital mode of instruction. I've heard of absolutely nobody at my school balking at it, but a lot of them have a big hill to climb. For my part, as a relatively young and tech-savvy teacher, it has been an awesome feeling being able to finally help out many of the vastly more experienced colleagues whom I've been learning on for advice, resources, etc in my first few years.

With that said, we've been getting some really positive feedback from students and parents alike about the online learning. A *lot* of time went in to getting these first few weeks ready, and some students are actually doing better - being able to watch lectures at their own pace, email the teacher privately as opposed to facing ~*~uLtiMaTe hUmiLiAtIoN~*~ by raising their hand and asking a question in class, or not have the lesson interrupted by ratbags has been helpful. Obviously it's not everyone's cup of tea, and students in disadvantaged households will likely be more disadvantaged (we are actually already on a "two track" system, with separate hard copy packs developed and posted home or available for pickup), but it's not as if online learning means everyone's education gets flushed down the toilet for the duration.

Overall my workload has gone down a fair bit, but that just means I'm working all day at a "comfortable, diligent" pace rather than "feverish, I stay late, everything still doesn't get done" pace - my school isn't putting onerous requirements on us to contact families for trivial reasons or hold live Zoom sessions (this seems to be big in America, some Independent schools in my area are doing this - it is a massive can of worms). It's amazing being able to not worry about your next toilet break and be able to have a cup of tea while you work. On the other hand, they've done the absolute bare-arse minimum for work from home provisions, leave entitlements, etc, so it's kind of a wash. Personally I'm fine (no "at risk" members of my household), but the stinginess and mistrust of teachers has burnt up a lot of the goodwill I had - not looking for a new job over it, but I definitely look forward to grilling future employers as to how they handled Covid-19.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

JBP posted:

How could it not be.

McGowan is the most popular politician in Australia, perhaps even the world. So that's good.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Re: schoolchat

I'm a secondary teacher...

Hello fellow secondary teacher goon. School went back today for students in WA, my school had 3/5 of the kids show up. Obviously social distancing was pretty impossible though we spread them out as best we could. We've been told under no circumstances do we teach in two modes, that they'll hire relief teachers to cover the students working from home. It seems doubtful, but maybe they'll pull it off.

Every teacher got a free bottle of hand sanitizer with unlimited refills, it makes my hands feel like I dipped them in butter.