Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

Is this actually true?

Yup, but that's happening worldwide to every leader who isn't a Trumps level gently caress-up so it actually isn't worth reading too much into. While he has high approval and preferred PM status it isnt reflected in 2PP polling (which also isnt worth reading too much into right now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

say hello.jpg
Feb 16, 2012
With the new testing effort are they just testing for positive cases or for antibodies as well?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Yup, but that's happening worldwide to every leader who isn't a Trumps level gently caress-up so it actually isn't worth reading too much into. While he has high approval and preferred PM status it isnt reflected in 2PP polling (which also isnt worth reading too much into right now).

I mean, if you'd told me three months ago that I'd be nodding approvingly at Scott Morrison during a crisis I'd think you were crazy. But I have to give credit where it's due and concede that, even though I despise him on principle, he's actually handled this responsibly and maturely so far.

I'd still prefer to slam my dick in a car door than ever vote for the Liberals. But I also feel relieved that unlike the US and the UK, our right-wing party is (for now) still mostly comprised of people who may be neoliberal fuckheads but can nonetheless, when push comes to shove, act like reasonable and responsible adults and do what's best for the country as a whole.

I can see the Trumpian/Brexiteer detached-from-reality-swamp-fever types slowly creeping into Australia in Facebook comments and the like. But it doesn't yet seem to have affected our political system, apart from lunatic outliers like Malcolm Roberts or Clive Palmer.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

freebooter posted:

I mean, if you'd told me three months ago that I'd be nodding approvingly at Scott Morrison during a crisis I'd think you were crazy. But I have to give credit where it's due and concede that, even though I despise him on principle, he's actually handled this responsibly and maturely so far.

I'd still prefer to slam my dick in a car door than ever vote for the Liberals. But I also feel relieved that unlike the US and the UK, our right-wing party is (for now) still mostly comprised of people who may be neoliberal fuckheads but can nonetheless, when push comes to shove, act like reasonable and responsible adults and do what's best for the country as a whole.

I can see the Trumpian/Brexiteer detached-from-reality-swamp-fever types slowly creeping into Australia in Facebook comments and the like. But it doesn't yet seem to have affected our political system, apart from lunatic outliers like Malcolm Roberts or Clive Palmer.

Almost the entire responsibility lies with the states apart from border control which failed spectacularly and led to what was it like 20% of NSWs cases from a single incident?

His main role is to stand up and put out a consistent message and his press conferences are some of the worst ive ever seen. luckily noone actually watches them or hears a single word he says, and instead just sees the commercial news sucking his dick each night so his incompetence hasnt actually harmed too much.

“We are starting social distancing on monday but im still going to the rugby on saturday. Actually im not going anymore but not because it isnt safe, just because some people in the media might misconstrue it because of their fake news bias”

Also bribing private schools to open to undercut state governments is completely hosed.

E: “if youve got a job, it’s essential” :psyduck:

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 29, 2020

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

E: “if youve got a job, it’s essential” :psyduck:

Also "children are immune" (except ScoMo's children, they were out of school right quick)

Also JobSeeker vs JobKeeper being the most confusing branding in history

Also just listening to any of his pressers

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The only good, consistent thing Morrison has done is say that this was going to take six months at least.

Some of my co-workers are getting stir crazy already and considering how my director dismissed the danger I'm concerned we'll be back at the office too soon. If we do start easing restrictions soon, I'll be pushing to keep working from home until at least the end of May to avoid:

going back to work
new spike in cases
getting sent back home again

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The only metrics you could reasonably give scott morrison a pass on are things actually handled by the states, or favourable reporting by the most insipid excuse for a press gallery in the western world

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Latest 7am clearly outlines the disproportionate economic impact the pandemic is having on the young and how the government is going to keep that boot on their necks
https://7ampodcast.com.au/episodes/the-generation-done-over-by-coronavirus

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

The only metrics you could reasonably give scott morrison a pass on are things actually handled by the states, or favourable reporting by SA Forums poster freebooter.

Scummo getting shouty with journalists is apparently only news in other countries :rolleyes:

https://killyourstereo.com/news/110...brendan-murphy/

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Indefinitely closing the borders and doubling Newstart are both things I never, ever would have expected a Liberal government to do. I will concede that there's an element of exceptionally low expectations, but if you'd asked me at the start of March, I absolutely would have expected this government to lead us down the same shambolic path as the British and American governments.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

freebooter posted:

Indefinitely closing the borders and doubling Newstart are both things I never, ever would have expected a Liberal government to do. I will concede that there's an element of exceptionally low expectations, but if you'd asked me at the start of March, I absolutely would have expected this government to lead us down the same shambolic path as the British and American governments.

Same. This government is poo poo but they implemented the recommendations of 3rd parties that weren't just business councils, which I was pleasantly surprised by given my assumptions.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

A slight devil’s advocate: ever since Frydenberg said he wasn’t sleeping from fear of ruining the economy I’ve figured they’re literally just doing whatever their experts want because they have been put in a situation that has forced them into awareness of their own complete lack of knowledge in actually running a country. Of course listening to experts is almost exactly the only thing that a politician should do, but I can guarantee that once we’re out of the woods they’ll resume ignoring expertise and loving things up.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
agree.

I was stunned when Jobkeeper came in to cover self employed sole traders, and run for a full 6 months. Credit where its due, that's extremely good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Chadzok posted:

A slight devil’s advocate: ever since Frydenberg said he wasn’t sleeping from fear of ruining the economy I’ve figured they’re literally just doing whatever their experts want because they have been put in a situation that has forced them into awareness of their own complete lack of knowledge in actually running a country. Of course listening to experts is almost exactly the only thing that a politician should do, but I can guarantee that once we’re out of the woods they’ll resume ignoring expertise and loving things up.

It must be horrifying for people that just want power for the sake of it or for the sake of money when something real happens.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The problem is that some of the measures they've taken are 'trickle down' in their implementation where tying to people to jobs are good, not giving money to people on disability or just a one time stimulus check, shows what's to come. More Howard style middle income welfare and legs up to 'grow the economy' at the expense of the poor and young. Already with a general unemployment rate looking to hit 10%, the unemployment rate for those under 25 will be far beyond this.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I got the flu vaccine yesterday and it's hosed me up pretty bad today lol

Sore arm shoulder and neck on the side I got jabbed, can't move my head without shooting pain through the aforementioned

Anyway, that's my story. Get your flu shots

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

New Vic cluster in an aged care home. Sounds bad.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so there is about 10 apartments around the corner from me with more space/rooms/actual storage space (cage) for up to $50 less a week than my current pad.

how do i go about putting pressure on my RE to lower my rent because a) the place is lovely and despite being new has several issues and b) I can very easily up and move around the corner and be up to $300 a week better off after i sublet the second bedroom of one of these other places.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Albanese loving sucks lol. They just played him speaking on ABC News and he just stammers on about garbage. No wonder nothing filters through from when he actually gets in front of the press it's just a half hearted personal jab at Morrison and then a bunch of dumb bullshit about how much people like him.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

agreed. Hes painful to listen to. Is australia ready for the wong

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Shorten will come back

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

nocturama posted:

agreed. Hes painful to listen to. Is australia ready for the wong

I thought senators couldn't be prime minister (with the one exception being that senator who was named PM after Harold Holt went missing and went on to win the by-election in Holts seat).

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Laserface posted:

so there is about 10 apartments around the corner from me with more space/rooms/actual storage space (cage) for up to $50 less a week than my current pad.

how do i go about putting pressure on my RE to lower my rent because a) the place is lovely and despite being new has several issues and b) I can very easily up and move around the corner and be up to $300 a week better off after i sublet the second bedroom of one of these other places.

Just send them the request, sounds like you have all the power there. So send them an email and provide a deadline for response, then when the deadline expires go ahead and move.

Just don't rely on being able to sublet the extra room, and they won't take that into account when you ask for your rent reduction - they'll only take comparable properties into account.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Someone post a picture of the latest bolt article it’s .... amazing...

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Conversely, don’t.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

bolt bad, i am very astute

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Jonah Galtberg posted:

bolt bad, i am very astute

I don't know, I think we all need to see the article before we can cast judgement.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Andrew Bolt is at home quivering in fear of the liberal govt because they did something about coronavirus

That's the article

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Up to 8 days in a row of zero new cases here in SA, this is really starting to look promising.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Yeast posted:

agree.

I was stunned when Jobkeeper came in to cover self employed sole traders, and run for a full 6 months. Credit where its due, that's extremely good.

OTOH, it's got plenty of flaws, like how it fucks the under 21s, casuals with <12 months continuous employment, people with multiple casual jobs, anyone employed in the higher education sector, and any small business struggling with cashflow that couldn't get a bridging loan before the first ATO payroll credits were available. Plus both it and the improved jobseeker payment would've done more good if they started weeks ago

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Donald Trump and Boris Johnson set a very, very low bar for how to handle the pandemic, and at the very least Scott Morison didn't trip over it.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zenithe posted:

Someone post a picture of the latest bolt article it’s .... amazing...

i mean you only need the first bit, the rest just fills itself in

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Laserface posted:

I'd send them a polite letter saying something to the effect of "I've looked at the price of comparable units in the area, and the cost of breaking lease + moving expenses will be offset by the savings in rent in X weeks, and won't have any of the issues I've been asking you to fix at this place - would you like to counteroffer with lower rent/addressing the issues or should I start packing my bags?"

The latter part (about subletting and having a roommate) won't play to them - a lot of people pay a premium to not live with a stranger.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

If you're renting in Victoria and are on a month to month lease, you're not able to give notice of intention to vacate unless the owner or real estate consent as of Tuesday, backdated to the 29th of March and going on until September. If you're on a fixed lease, however, it's totally fine and ok to give notice, but otherwise you're pretty much at the mercy of the landlord/agent now.

EDIT: You CAN give notice, but you have to apply to VCAT for it and it has to meet certain criteria, mostly "financial hardship due to COVID-19".

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

CrazyTolradi posted:

If you're renting in Victoria and are on a month to month lease, you're not able to give notice of intention to vacate unless the owner or real estate consent as of Tuesday, backdated to the 29th of March and going on until September. If you're on a fixed lease, however, it's totally fine and ok to give notice, but otherwise you're pretty much at the mercy of the landlord/agent now.

EDIT: You CAN give notice, but you have to apply to VCAT for it and it has to meet certain criteria, mostly "financial hardship due to COVID-19".

I don't have a source I can share, but I've explicitly asked about this and been told it's not true, and that the ability of tenants to provide 28 days' notice of termination on a month-to-month lease will remain when the new COVID regulations are in place.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

BurgerQuest posted:

i mean you only need the first bit, the rest just fills itself in

Not that, this:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jeremypoxon/status/1255762415137902592?s=21

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zenithe posted:

Not that, this:

They look the same to me ???

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I just found out that the tenants literally aren't allowed to give notice of intention to vacate under the changes to the Residential Tenancies Act (unless they can demonstrate severe hardship to VCAT or it's a family violence situation).

Unless I can get the landlord to consent to us vacating, we can't move to a place $600/month cheaper that we have been approved for.

e: I've emailed the real estate asking them to seek consent for us to move out. but I don't hold out any hope that we will get it.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

just gently caress off ALP, you are useless.