Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

freebooter posted:

I'll take an unstable free country over a stable techno-totalitarian dictatorship any day

100%. gently caress China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Pikehead posted:

Is that "Within 2 years" or "North Korea will tear itself apart at any moment and cease to exist any time now"?

As countries go, China seems pretty stable to me. Lots of problems, but due to the police/government control over the media and society there doesn't seem to me to be much of a change of breaking up or actual armed fighting.

Not counting Hong Kong there, because that's a somewhat different scenario.

I'm gonna throw in a hail marry bet that the Chinese government is probably not gonna be fooled for ejecting two Aua journalists

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

China is the future

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

GoldStandardConure posted:

[relaxes in west australian]

[hi-fives in northern territorian]

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is anyone truly free?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Probably not the sick prisoners fighting the fires in California.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Zetsubou-san posted:

[hi-fives in northern territorian]

[Salutes in Free People's Rebuplik of Queensland]

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

freebooter posted:

I'll take an unstable free country over a stable techno-totalitarian dictatorship any day

lol sorry champ you just don’t have what it takes to make it in the 5-eyes club

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cartoon posted:

More saliently I want to know who is responsible for the poo poo fest in the thread today and what do we plan to do about it/them.

dandrews is the sole to person to blame and should be replaced at once by ???? and the threshold for bad posts should be raised to 20 per day, then and only then can my existence return to normal so I can once more inflict myself on people face to face, as god intended.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zetsubou-san posted:

dandrews is the sole to person to blame and should be replaced at once by ???? and the threshold for bad posts should be raised to 20 per day, then and only then can my existence return to normal so I can once more inflict myself on people face to face, as god intended.

I do want to keep posting, but I'm not sure I can manage 20 bad posts a day.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Pikehead posted:

I do want to keep posting, but I'm not sure I can manage 20 bad posts a day.

Just slap a Howard avatar on and leech off the others.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's ok. I will do the posts.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...se-imprisonment

quote:

The New South Wales police spent $24m of taxpayer money on almost 300 civil legal claims brought against officers during the last financial year.
The figure, obtained by the NSW Greens, includes settlements for serious misconduct claims including battery, false imprisonment and malicious prosecution.

An internal investigation into the LECC showed Saidi had raised concerns that NSW police treated the millions of dollars paid in damages each year as “the cost of doing business” and believed officers subject to complaints were often not exposed to internal consequences.
Among his concerns, Saidi wrote, was his belief that officers subject to legal complaints were “given no feedback as to the illegality of any action on their part” and that unit commanders were often not informed about findings made against police.
“Up till now, commanders who have had police officers under their command have not been advised of the fact that damages or compensation monies have been paid as a result of the misconduct or unlawful actions of police officers under their command,” Saidi wrote in documents published as part of the investigation.
Shoebridge said the figures released by NSW police did not explain how police dealt with officers whose conduct was the subject of a civil settlement.
“The outcomes of these cases are usually suppressed, meaning it’s impossible to know whether the police whose misconduct has resulted in large payments to victims have faced any sanction at all,” he said.
“It’s very likely that most or all the officers whose actions have led to the police being sued are still working in the police with no sanction and often having been promoted.”

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Knobb Manwich posted:

:hai:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pikehead posted:

[Salutes in Free People's Rebuplik of Queensland]

[Does the people's dance of South Australia] (no wait)

[Gives the Terminator thumbs up while descending into a barrel of acid]

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

:hai:

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Knobb Manwich posted:

Can't have two Howards in the same conversation - how would you tell us apart?

I'm thinking of a shining example of competence, wit and stability - someone like, I dunno, what-his-name, Latham wasn't it? Vague recollection, but I think he was/is a stellar example of humanity.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I'm gay.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hi gay i'm dad

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

It is pretty normal to fight (or hopefully your union) for your rights as a worker in that;
~ The employer shall be responsible for all costs associated with the job (including legal)
~ The employee shall not be disadvantaged by incurring those costs in the line of their work which includes making it known to colleagues or supervisors that these costs were incurred.

If an employers policy or procedure was not followed, employees will expect to go through the employers disciplinary process and not be scapegoated or lumped with their employers legal issues.

The reality is is that people take legal action against the police force as a whole (because the police force has the money to pay out compensation) and from there it is a Police force problem, not a individual private citizen problem.

The other way of looking at it is if a copper was reported for assault (a personal crime) then he would follow the normal legal process of being arrested, tried and sentenced.

Saying that. Australia is trending towards holding company employees responsible for company outcomes more and more such as for not maintaining a safe place of work resulting in an injury, etc. Will be interesting if this translates to government organisations anytime soon.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Electric Wrigglies posted:

It is pretty normal to fight (or hopefully your union) for your rights as a worker in that;
~ The employer shall be responsible for all costs associated with the job (including legal)
~ The employee shall not be disadvantaged by incurring those costs in the line of their work which includes making it known to colleagues or supervisors that these costs were incurred.

If an employers policy or procedure was not followed, employees will expect to go through the employers disciplinary process and not be scapegoated or lumped with their employers legal issues.

The reality is is that people take legal action against the police force as a whole (because the police force has the money to pay out compensation) and from there it is a Police force problem, not a individual private citizen problem.

The other way of looking at it is if a copper was reported for assault (a personal crime) then he would follow the normal legal process of being arrested, tried and sentenced.

Saying that. Australia is trending towards holding company employees responsible for company outcomes more and more such as for not maintaining a safe place of work resulting in an injury, etc. Will be interesting if this translates to government organisations anytime soon.
you’re missing the point

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Police are “public employees,” they work for the state. But their relationship to the state is not adversarial in the way that the working class has an inherently adversarial relationship with the capitalist class. The state being a tool of the ruling class, the police are an extension of the ruling class—the relationship between police and the state, when it becomes contentious, is closer to an intra-class dispute (like between industries) than an inter-class dispute (like between workers and bosses).

Police costing governments money isn't like a McDonald's employee dropping a burger, it's like one half of a business partnership doing a bad deal and costing another partner money.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Pikehead posted:

As countries go, China seems pretty stable to me. Lots of problems, but due to the police/government control over the media and society there doesn't seem to me to be much of a change of breaking up or actual armed fighting.

It seems increasing strong...but brittle. A government that wasn't worried wouldn't care about 2 Foreign journalists.

'Course the last large authoritarian government that wanted resources in South East Asia decided that backing down cost more than going to war ended up in a bad place before anything happened internally to worry it.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

bowmore posted:

you’re missing the point

I don't think I am. The point of the article seemed to be taking the view that it is bad and unintended that a police officer that was involved in a false imprisonment or whatever didn't seem to face sanction for their actions.

I'm pointing out that that of course the officer does not face sanction because the system is specifically and deliberately designed that way and this is especially so for government employees. Workers don't want to be held accountable for crimes that a company is responsible for - even if it was at least partially through their own direct action.

Comstar posted:

It seems increasing strong...but brittle. A government that wasn't worried wouldn't care about 2 Foreign journalists.

'Course the last large authoritarian government that wanted resources in South East Asia decided that backing down cost more than going to war ended up in a bad place before anything happened internally to worry it.

I think it is less brittle and more that China is becoming more thorough in its assertiveness. I live overseas in multiple locations and papers of all countries report the same sort of interactions with China. They don't care weather it is an Australian journalist, a Nobel Peace Prize from a Swedish NGO to the wrong person or a Senegalese local Prefect passing comment, they will put resources into ensuring bad behavior is punished in a controlled but demonstrative manner.

I think it is a bit of a long bow to draw the analogy between 1930's Japan and 2020's China but I certainly agree developments are not for the better.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

this page brought to you by NSW Police Pty. Ltd.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Wait 10 years then.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Zetsubou-san posted:

this page brought to you by NSW Police Pty. Ltd.

Huh, I didn't realise the NSW police had CCP backing. Makes sense I suppose :shrug:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Ghost Leviathan posted:

[Does the people's dance of South Australia] (no wait)

[Gives the Terminator thumbs up while descending into a barrel of acid]

:discourse:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

quote:

officers subject to legal complaints were “given no feedback as to the illegality of any action on their part”

This is the bit that seems wrong to me, sounds like they do something horribly wrong but don't even get "yeah, you really hosed up" as "feedback"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

starkebn posted:

This is the bit that seems wrong to me, sounds like they do something horribly wrong but don't even get "yeah, you really hosed up" as "feedback"

That's because they didn't actually do anything wrong, every complaint about the police is just a time wasting lefty who wasn't kicked hard enough the first time around

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's pissing me off that the federal government are walking right up to the line of suggesting that Victoria should open up but not actually saying it outright. If you're going to be cunts at least be straightforward about it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

freebooter posted:

It's pissing me off that the federal government are walking right up to the line of suggesting that Victoria should open up but not actually saying it outright. If you're going to be cunts at least be straightforward about it.

Having an opinion is bad for polling, better to dog whistle and have deniability.

It's literally what got them elected.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

If the federal government tells Victoria to open up and then Victoria opens up and everyone gets infected with COVID, people will criticise the federal government.

Best just have Peter Dutton tell everyone that the Victorian government sucks for not letting people be free.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Peter Dutton advocating for less people to be locked up is truly 2020's most bizarre turn.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

This is definitely the funniest part of your post

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Love it when companies accidentally reveal they pay like poo poo

Also I know people who have worked at these places and it suuuuuucks. Just awful, awful work and you will smell like dead animal forever more. The stink doesn't wash off.

Not to mention meat places seem to be very susceptible to outbreaks.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-08/teys-australia-says-jobseeker-driving-record-high-vacancy-rate/12640036

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Pikehead posted:

Can't have two Howards in the same conversation - how would you tell us apart?

I'm thinking of a shining example of competence, wit and stability - someone like, I dunno, what-his-name, Latham wasn't it? Vague recollection, but I think he was/is a stellar example of humanity.

From my potential auspol avatar material folder:

screaden posted:

Love it when companies accidentally reveal they pay like poo poo

Also I know people who have worked at these places and it suuuuuucks. Just awful, awful work and you will smell like dead animal forever more. The stink doesn't wash off.

Not to mention meat places seem to be very susceptible to outbreaks.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-08/teys-australia-says-jobseeker-driving-record-high-vacancy-rate/12640036

Would being a vegetarian mean you can't be forced to work in meat processing? Because I could become a vegetarian.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

If I was to pick up a kid and slam his face into the pavement, at work, I'd be instructed to not do that again

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Wheres this lmao