Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I noticed the old thread had hit archives. That is good! People have been safe.

I had the worst fuckup of my riding career yesterday, and even though the bike and I are both basically fine, it put the fear of God into me and may have me off 2-wheels until COVID has settled down here, or at last until my tendons heal, because the idea of diverting med resources, and also ending up in an ER seemed super lovely. In fact, in a normal world I would probably go get my shoulder checked out, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I went for a nice little ride yesterday. It was my birthday! I love my silly little bike and it's generally great on my litttle 40mph dirt roads.

I had just stopped to rest, stretch, take a couple pictures of how nice a day it was, and got back on. I was seeing very very little in the way of traffic, not surprising.

Hima in US ships with Pirelli 30/70 dirt/street, which have been completely fine up until this point. Between 3 bikes I've ridden 1500-2000 miles on these dirt roads, and generally feel like I have a grasp on what I'm doing. I don't go fast, I stick to marked roads, I err on the side of being slower than faster unless it seems more risky, etc.

I approached this section at maybe 35, cut to probably 25 starting down because it's a minor S, but at a moderate (20-35 degree?) grade, and it's often kind of gnarly. So, I knew that going into it, I thought I was at the correct speed, on the correct line, reading the suface correctly and.... I lowsided going around that right as the rear tire slipped, I couldn't nearly recover balance, and just road the bike into the dirt and gravel, on top of my arm, hip and knee. My reasonable speed was a strong asset here, as well as being toe to finger in armor and a full face helmet; I escaped with a bent handlebar, a minor abraision on my thigh where my jacket got pulled up, and what feels like soft tissue damage in my shoulder and knee but nothing that screams "GO TO A DOCTOR".

I believe I was hands off the brake and controlling throttle with engine braking and fluttering the clutch, because I've found this tends to give me more control and less slippage on gravel, but I can't say with 100% certainty what happened because the 1-2 seconds immediately before everything went to poo poo I do not remember. I was up, I was in control, I was going into an S I'd gone into a ton of times before with full attention on what I was doing... then I was in pain on the ground thinking "gently caress I hope I am not loving up my bike or self too bad here".

This was my first time on this road this year, after riding it dozens the years before, and I am open to the idea that it's just a matter of getting a better feel for things before jumping into ++ class-IIs. On the other hand, I'm also gonna look at the idea of 50/50 tires to see if they are more appropriate for my uses; probably 70% of my time is on dirt/gravel and hardpacked dirt, but 50% of my riding time is at 50-60mpg on 2-lane state roads and I need to be able to handle there up to ~70mph comfortably, too.

This hurt pretty badly until I nuked it with ibuprofin, wine and weed, but it feels better today. I'll spare you the pictures of the really gross pussy abrasion on my side; I hit it with warm soapy water, hydrogen peroxide and neosporin the second I got home, and it does not look too bad today.

The freakiest thing was that when I went into shock a bit afterwards, the world turned black and white -- not like an old movie, but everything was a sea of black except all objects had bright glowing white cel-shaded borders around them. It was one of the most psychedellic things I've seen on or off drugs, and I remember thinking "that's not good, probably" and forcing myself to lay down and drink water for a few minutes, with my phone in hand in case I really felt like I was gonna pass out.

I was wearing ballistic nylon pants over thick jeans, a tough riding jacket over a sweatshirt, full helmet and leather gauntlets. I see a lotta people out here in t-shirts, and I'm pretty sure if that had been my situation I would have been looking at a lot of different stitches. ATGATT

Happy loving birthday to me.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Hey, I'm glad you're not dead! I'm both glad to see this thread back and worried that it might get enough traffic to survive :ohdear:

Now I only ride on the street so far, so mostly I'm curious how your gear held up. I'm so focused on street gear I assume that crashing on a soft road is no big deal, it must be like falling off a jungle gym or something, nice and soft as long as you don't break a bone. Do you think you'll need to replace any gear?

I'm curious about this bit since I don't get how your jacket covers your thigh:

Cabbages and Kings posted:

a minor abraision on my thigh where my jacket got pulled up

Anyway now that I'm in my 30's I'm... not "scared" but a lot more aware of what recovery will be like if when I go down. Here's to learning from mistakes and a swift recovery.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Good job not dying.

Try TKC-80s, they’re a decent tire that should suit you well. D606 if you want to be even more aggressive and I like the pirelli scorpion XC mid hard. Goldentyre makes my current favorite tires that also happen to be DOT legal but I think they’re a lot more than you need.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

FBS posted:

Hey, I'm glad you're not dead! I'm both glad to see this thread back and worried that it might get enough traffic to survive :ohdear:

Now I only ride on the street so far, so mostly I'm curious how your gear held up. I'm so focused on street gear I assume that crashing on a soft road is no big deal, it must be like falling off a jungle gym or something, nice and soft as long as you don't break a bone. Do you think you'll need to replace any gear?

I don't think I'll need to replace anything; nothing got ripped, and you're right; I wouldn't quite go to "no big deal" because a my body taking a different angle here coulda busted some bones, and I am still in significant discomfort and get shooting pain on arm extension that had me not using keyboards two-handed yesterday, but I think going down this same way into pavement woulda shattered my shoulder for sure. My helmet did not hit the ground or take any impact; if it had, that's the one thing I would just instantly replace. I might use this as an excuse, anyway -- I've been looking to upgrade to a schuberth or shoei for noise reasons.

quote:

I'm curious about this bit since I don't get how your jacket covers your thigh:
That was me being brain-dead when I wrote this; it's on my lower abdomen, above my hip bone, and if I'd had the jacket better secured to my lower gear it probably wouldn't have happened.

quote:

Anyway now that I'm in my 30's I'm... not "scared" but a lot more aware of what recovery will be like if when I go down. Here's to learning from mistakes and a swift recovery.

Thanks; this happened on the last birthday where I will be in my 30s, and I'm pretty sure some of the trauma from this is "permanent" in terms of having slightly eroded various bits of cartilage or whatever. It's all downhill from here, ha.

builds character posted:

Good job not dying.

Try TKC-80s, they’re a decent tire that should suit you well. D606 if you want to be even more aggressive and I like the pirelli scorpion XC mid hard. Goldentyre makes my current favorite tires that also happen to be DOT legal but I think they’re a lot more than you need.

Thanks, I'll check these out. I am due at the shop for regular (warranty required, free) service and I might just drop it off w/tires and let them put them on, because I am fundamentally lazy and they are very reasonable about it.

I'm still grappling with how quickly I want to get back on the road; I always know events like these or much worse are possible when I go out, but, we are in a weird situation right now as far as selfishly not wanting to be anywhere near a hospital, and selflessly not wanting to trigger a convergence of EMT services at some backwoods location.

edit: the poo poo this charmingly accented gentlemen pushes a Hima through on TKC-80s, is, indeed, nastier than the nastiest poo poo I ride on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3yat_FOysg

Great 2 minutes where I can barely understand a thick scottish (??) accent over engine noise, and the bike never goes more than about 18mph

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 30, 2020

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
How did your crash bars hold up?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Shelvocke posted:

How did your crash bars hold up?

The bars are fine; I haven't gone back down to look really closely since I staggered back inside on Monday, but, looking roadside, I didn't see any scratches /dents / dings on the tank at at all, which is actually sorta surprising given that I basically buried the front of the bike into gravel at 20-30mph. The only damage I saw was a bent bar and the casing around one of my blinkers is busted.

Once my shoulder feels better I will go down with some pipe wrenches and see if I can bent the bar back, but, depending on the crease that's not a way I'm gonna wanna ride it much, and I know that under normal circumstances getting an entire handlebar assembly with all controls from India is like a $100 problem, but looking at eBay right now that's not a thing because shipping from India is just hosed. A friend who recently was able to flee Delhi to his parents more rural house, before it became "impossible" to leave the city, and the picture he paints of what is going on is bleak and doesn't make me think I'm getting parts out of there any time soon.

I've been thinking of maybe just getting one of these: https://mikametals.com/Hybrid-Series_p_80.html -- an ADVPulse article tries to convince me that these will hold up better than the stock aluminum bars, in the case that you dump in dirt, and they appear to be available now.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Yeah I wouldn't recommend bending the bars back if they're aluminium, they'll probably go back fine but if you take another spill or bottom out you might be left holding a snapped off portion in your hand.

Good opportunity to get a pair of bars that suit your ergos better. Not heard of Mika but I run protaper/renthals on dirt bikes just fine

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I've also been looking at these numbers pretty carefully, now that I know there are neck brace setups now that cost less than $300 and weigh less than 2 lbs: https://www.actionsportsems.com/case-study-neck-brace

I feel like, the kind of riding I do, my biggest risks are: poo poo like what happened monday, getting hit by a car, and actually going off the edge of the road. In any of these situations, rotational cervical injuries seem real possible and also like a relatively high risk, given that a lot of other risks are mitigated by other gear. I think that going full-on motocross exoskel is probably more hardcore than I want to be, but the main objections I read about these new braces is "they look stupid", "I don't wear a helmet why would I wear a brace", and "they increase your risk of collarbone fracture" which appears to be very factually wrong.

Does anyone have opinions on these? At a glance, the stats are pretty compelling (and I have a history of cervical spine injuries from bicycles, thankfully no fusions or anything terrible yet).

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
What braces are you looking at for that price? I'd be curious to try one as well.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i wear my leatt brace for either races or when i know i'm going to practice at >80%

they are fairly restrictive so i can see why people wouldn't want to wear them, but if you're learning mx or racing i don't see why you wouldnt wear one

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The I Almost Crashed thread is also in archives, so I hope you don't mind if I post this here: I didn't crash, but I almost loving did!

On the main road out of town, I'm going up this hill where the speed changes from 80 km/h to 110. I'm doing 80ish in the left lane, keeping my eye on the guy in the right lane getting up to highway speed early to make sure he doesn't drift into my lane (and because it's going to be hilarious when I roll on the gas and smoke him.) I pass the 110 sign and get on the throttle, and quickly realize that what I should have been paying attention to, was the ladder lying partway into my lane. I noticed it like a second before I rode right loving over top of it, WHAP WHAP. The front end of the bike touches down and the steering head immediately begins to shake, left-right-left, and two concepts pass through my head: "I'm loving dead", and "How to deal with a speed wobble." FirmGrip-LooseArms-NoBrakes-RideItOut!

And through some combination of deterministic physics, selecting the correct control input, and an utter loving miracle that the landing and first wobble didn't highside me, the bike evened out, and I pulled over onto the median.

A couple other people stopped to make sure I was ok, I assured them that I wasn't hurt and cracked a joke about how I wish I smoked cause this would be a great time for a cigarette. The guy with the work truck called to his worksite a little ways back up the road to get someone to grab the ladder. My bike seemed to be okay too, so once I let them know, they drove off. While I was cooling down, another rider came up to check on me too since he'd just avoided getting hit by a car pulling out around the ladder. Talked with him for a bit (thanks Dave), then rode directly home and talked to my brother (thanks bro).

I'm physically 100%, just rattled as poo poo. Bike seems okay, neither tire flat, forks look straight and it feels like it's riding straight. No visible damage to the underside that I could see, though I'll check again later.

After-action report: this is 95% my fault for not keeping my goddamned eyes and my goddamned mind on the goddamned road. (Some blame has to accrue to the fuckwit who didn't secure his goddamned ladder.) I think accidentally being on the gas helped save me, kept my front wheel light enough to ride over the ladder. That's what you're supposed to do if you can't avoid running something over anyways, right? Treating the head wobble as a speed wobble turned out to be useful, but I'm still loving lucky I hit the ladder square on and didn't land at an angle. Even if I don't find any damage I'm gonna take a few days off the bike to cool off.

ItasteColors
Dec 10, 2016
I've been rocking an evs neck brace for mtb and moto for years now. You get used to it pretty quick. Some helmets don't work so well, since you can't lift you head. Also backpacks are kinda out, but fanny packs have made a resurgence anyhow!

As for looks, I suggest putting an FMF or Dunlop or some sticker on your bike to let everyone know you're really pro.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I almost died twice today.

First on some local twisties I'm very familiar with; a tourist car crash on the apex of a blind turn I was coming out of around 90mph. ABS and Pirellis to the rescue, stopped with about 4 metres to spare.
Really impressed with the stopping power of the FJR; less than 80 metres to stop while leaning out of a bend, combined weight of around 800lbs. I was going too fast.

Second was a manatee in a Mercedes SUV - coming to take in the south coast waters along with all the other covidiots - who actually made contact with my frame slider as she merged into my lane without looking, and pushed me into the hard shoulder. Managed to stay on the bike.

It's actually not safe to drive at the moment with the sheer number of tourists, most of them geriatric, crowding out the place. We're moving to a quieter part of the county with better roads soon and I cannot wait.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

speaking of outriding your line of sight:

cornering ABS saved my rear end over the weekend too

oncoming car decided to pull off over to the side of normandy lake while I was lakeside leaned over in a corner definitely going faster than the speed limit. the geniuses decided to just drive in the oncoming lane looking for a pullout though (probably drunk). ABS kicked in as I came up quick on them and zipped around them in the oncoming lane. did have plenty of time to do the disappointed head shake though :D

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I actually don't have cornering ABS, I straightened up out of the lean with mild pressure before going ham on the brakes, losing stopping distance.
I imagine it's incredibly handy in exactly this situation.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Shelvocke posted:

I almost died twice today.

First on some local twisties I'm very familiar with; a tourist car crash on the apex of a blind turn I was coming out of around 90mph. ABS and Pirellis to the rescue, stopped with about 4 metres to spare.
Really impressed with the stopping power of the FJR; less than 80 metres to stop while leaning out of a bend, combined weight of around 800lbs. I was going too fast.

Second was a manatee in a Mercedes SUV - coming to take in the south coast waters along with all the other covidiots - who actually made contact with my frame slider as she merged into my lane without looking, and pushed me into the hard shoulder. Managed to stay on the bike.

It's actually not safe to drive at the moment with the sheer number of tourists, most of them geriatric, crowding out the place. We're moving to a quieter part of the county with better roads soon and I cannot wait.

I am happy you were not injured, stay safe!

I'm still in daily pain from my dump. I'm not complaining, it could have been MUCH worse, but it's only been within the past week that I can lift a ~15lb chainsaw and weild it without a ton of pain, and a bunch of stretches I used to do for kicks I now do painfully to try to regain / retain range of motion. The only reason I am saying this is to reiterate that even fairly "minor, I drove away" accidents can gently caress you up for months.

The bike is gonna to get the TKC-80s that Builds Character recommended above, as well as a new and more sturdy handlebar from Mika mounted this weekend. I could have moved the controls for the bar myself but I'm lazy and I am not setup to mount tires, so I'm just going to let them do all of it, and let them know that it's physically possible to put the oil filter in backwards after changing the oil on this bike and to please not do that, ha. Maybe once all that is done I will be healed enough to go ride with more awareness and caution.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Went down hard today in DC. I don't normally ride there, but this time I got caught in the city, with rain coming down to boot.

DC is one of those cities with trolley rails that overlap regular road lanes, and boy did I not appreciate the danger of those fuckers when wet. My front wheel fell into the groove formed by one of the rails and seeing as it was polished and wet I immediately lost any semblance of traction. But the real fun was that even angling my wheel wouldn't let me out of the rut because instead of turning my bike would just keep sliding along. So the bike just sort of slid out from under me, then on top of me, and then I got dragged under for 30 feet, riding on top of my knuckles which somehow got tucked under me.

Bless all my gear, the only thing that failed were the gloves, which really took the brunt of the accident, but got chewed all the way through. Now I have a wound I don't even want to look at on my knuckles, and I sincerely hope it doesn't need stitches, because I ain't goin to no ER tonight. Probably tomorrow. Doesn't appear to be bleeding any more though, so hopefully it's fine.

Also bless frame sliders, only damage is to my long suffering exhaust and one turn signal. the slider itself did get ground pretty gnarly though.

Can confirm that airbag jacket is really cool, I felt NOTHING on my torso. A+ would tolerate mediocore Helite construction again.

Stay safe yall, wet metal is the loving devil. Also this is really convincing me that i need to learn to ride dirt.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 20, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

glad you’re okay dude!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mirconium posted:

Went down hard today in DC. I don't normally ride there, but this time I got caught in the city, with rain coming down to boot.

DC is one of those cities with trolley rails that overlap regular road lanes, and boy did I not appreciate the danger of those fuckers when wet. My front wheel fell into the groove formed by one of the rails and seeing as it was polished and wet I immediately lost any semblance of traction. But the real fun was that even angling my wheel wouldn't let me out of the rut because instead of turning my bike would just keep sliding along. So the bike just sort of slid out from under me, then on top of me, and then I got dragged under for 30 feet, riding on top of my knuckles which somehow got tucked under me.

Bless all my gear, the only thing that failed were the gloves, which really took the brunt of the accident, but got chewed all the way through. Now I have a wound I don't even want to look at on my knuckles, and I sincerely hope it doesn't need stitches, because I ain't goin to no ER tonight. Probably tomorrow. Doesn't appear to be bleeding any more though, so hopefully it's fine.

Also bless frame sliders, only damage is to my long suffering exhaust and one turn signal. the slider itself did get ground pretty gnarly though.

Can confirm that airbag jacket is really cool, I felt NOTHING on my torso. A+ would tolerate mediocore Helite construction again.

Stay safe yall, wet metal is the loving devil. Also this is really convincing me that i need to learn to ride dirt.

gently caress, glad you’re ok. Wet metal gets me tenser than anything else on the road.
Other than being hamburger, is your hand ok? Bones, tendons, nerves? You don’t have a shitload of time to repair some stuff in hands.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

gently caress, glad you’re ok. Wet metal gets me tenser than anything else on the road.
Other than being hamburger, is your hand ok? Bones, tendons, nerves? You don’t have a shitload of time to repair some stuff in hands.

Yep, bends on its own power, full feeling, no perceptible breaks, capillary return is good.

But yeah, don't be me kids, if you have musculoskeletal injuries, get them checked out! Unset broken bones can kill you like half a dozen ways, and the right kind of sling can keep your tendons from giving up on life.

Edit: I'll definitely go tomorrow but dealing with medical insurance is always one of those things I have to steel myself for a little bit. I'm sure it's much better than it was in the bad old days, but it still loving sucks having to figure out how to intimidate administrators who live in Texas into doing their drat job paying my medical bills.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 20, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mirconium posted:

I hope you feel better soon.

Can you link your gloves? Lets see what kind they are that got worn through, so that people can know and appreciate the tradeoffs.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Good job not dying. That sucks but at least it’s not worse.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Turns out I actually do have a fracture! Proud new owner of a splint.

(arrow points to wound, fracture is on the last bone of finger 2)

Also the gloves are Scorpion Klaw 2s

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-klaw-ii-gloves

The interesting thing is that the leather didn't get worn through. It looks like they twisted on my finger and the mesh side of the fingers is what got eaten.

That hole on the side ended up with the injury on top of my knuckle

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 21, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mirconium posted:

Turns out I actually do have a fracture! Proud new owner of a splint.

(arrow points to wound, fracture is on the last bone of finger 2)

Also the gloves are Scorpion Klaw 2s

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-klaw-ii-gloves

The interesting thing is that the leather didn't get worn through. It looks like they twisted on my finger and the mesh side of the fingers is what got eaten.

That hole on the side ended up with the injury on top of my knuckle

Ouch!

Right, not buying Scorpion gloves, noted.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I almost got hit / hit someone today. Was bleary riding to work and missed the giant white pickup cutting me off by turning into the lane going the opposite way on my street. I braked and swerved hard out in front of it, and had to juke hard back into my lane to dodge the cyclist the pickup had been hiding.

In honor of my continued life, I prepared these scientific reference images:

I'm lucky the truck braked at the last second, I'd be paste if it hadn't spotted me. Lesson learned, do some loving jumping jacks or something before I commute all conked out.

WhyNoOnePayMe
Dec 20, 2010
Boy do I feel dumb. But lucky at the same time. Going down on a 900 lb bike could be way way worse. Physically just a couple bumps and bruises that I will for sure feel more acutely tomorrow. Anyway the first pic is the loving STREAM CROSSING I went down on. I saw it in plenty of time, there is a sign of some sort, but the sign don't say "Motorcycles making ANY KIND OF TURN WILL GO DOWN. STRAIGHT ONLY." Which is what the sign should say. So I was down to 20 MPH which I thought reasonable but I didn't factor in the black slime that was present from the water crossing the road 24/7 for probably years. As you can see the road is turning still slightly where the water is and I STUPIDLY thought at 20 MPH I would have a little traction to continue turning just slightly. Then BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE me and the bike are one with horizontal. The water crossing the road was not as long as it appears in the picture and it was just a trickle but black slime yada yada excuses excuses. I will let the pictures tell the rest.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Nice that it didn't go worse!

Algae is actually the most slippery I've ever ridden on, and i ride in winter on glare ice with studs. I know of a seldom used smooth real hard packed earth road, with a real thin green algea coating. It was hit with a little rain. Insanely slippery.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I remember a video of someone on here with a yamaha wr250/450 with a rally style front go bombing towards one of those over-road water-crossings and just immediately tuck the front from the algae growth and it's what I think about every time I go over one. I brake hard and line up a straight shot and go slowly now.

WhyNoOnePayMe
Dec 20, 2010
The closer I look the more damage I find unfortunately. The bike wasn't perfect when I got it, couple small dent and dings on the top of the front fender but I could have avoided this so easily. Live and learn, the hard way I guess. I have been riding for 4 years now so something had to happen eventually.

I bet quite a few M/C have gone out from under folks here. Luckily it is not really a high speed section. If it was they probably would have put drainage pipe UNDER the loving road. I should have looked for telltale smashed bits in the bushes/area to prove my theory that many others have taken the side/slide trip I did.

WhyNoOnePayMe fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 5, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

if it makes you feel better I got a little sideways on my 500lb KTM doing similar creek crossings here in TN. if my bike weighed 900lbs I'm sure I would've ended up in a similar situation

glad you're more or less okay!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I think I remember in the Dakar (or a similar rally) a few years ago there was somebody filming a corner before a river in the middle of the desert. Pretty much every single rider fell over on the algae no matter how they took it. Slippery as.

I tend to slip over on wet grass a lot

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 5, 2020

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shelvocke posted:

I think I remember in the Dakar (or a similar rally) a few years ago there was somebody filming a corner before a river in the middle of the desert. Pretty much every single rider fell over on the algae no matter how they took it. Slippery as.

I tend to slip over on wet grass a lot

Yeah... https://youtu.be/EyWbmcZa3OU

WhyNoOnePayMe
Dec 20, 2010

Thanks a bunch for that link. I relived my crash a little bit with every rider who went down and was thinking ohh at the end one dude will just casually ride through like no big deal. Nope they never had a chance and neither did I. Even if I had stopped put both feet down and tried to just baby it across the wet still would have slide out I think. Just way slower and probably gotten wet cause be laying in the actual water then. At least this is what I chose to believe and I can talk myself into some pretty outlandish poo poo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh highsiding looks so much worse, even at slow speeds. Something I hope to never test.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

when in doubt gas out (into a lowside)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
TFW you're looking for cool dakar jump footage and you get hit with the feels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di7zDvgwvgQ&t=270s

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Razzled posted:

TFW you're looking for cool dakar jump footage and you get hit with the feels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di7zDvgwvgQ&t=270s

No joke this reminds me of how my newbie rear end felt the first time I had do like two hours in heavy crosswinds to get home after a road trip.

Halfway through I just pulled over and was so tired and shaken I wanted to cry :lol:

WhyNoOnePayMe
Dec 20, 2010

WhyNoOnePayMe posted:

Thanks a bunch for that link. I relived my crash a little bit with every rider who went down

As a follow up on Lockwood Valley Rd and Reyes Creek >>> The Evil Black Algae >>> I just got a call from a cool guy with MoorPark Road and Highway Dept who said they read my report about the situation and even watched the video with the 12 Dakar riders going down you guys gave me the link to and sent somebody out there to put up a lot more signage warning of the hazard about two days after my report. If there had been some new bright orange signs warning about hazardous slippery conditions that stood out I might have avoided all this bullshit that came with low siding a Road Glide Ultra in the middle of a perfectly nice day.

The signage that was there was old, yellowed, stuck to posts that had been there forever, 90 percent sure there were bullet holes in the signs and they just gave general info like "Water crosses this road sometimes Use caution" They were no longer capable of really getting peoples attention. So the county out there agreed that there was a clear and present problem and addressed it. Who thinks me or someone needs to take another ride out there just to keep em honest and see what kind of signage and changes they made?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

WhyNoOnePayMe posted:

As a follow up on Lockwood Valley Rd and Reyes Creek >>> The Evil Black Algae >>> I just got a call from a cool guy with MoorPark Road and Highway Dept who said they read my report about the situation and even watched the video with the 12 Dakar riders going down you guys gave me the link to and sent somebody out there to put up a lot more signage warning of the hazard about two days after my report. If there had been some new bright orange signs warning about hazardous slippery conditions that stood out I might have avoided all this bullshit that came with low siding a Road Glide Ultra in the middle of a perfectly nice day.

The signage that was there was old, yellowed, stuck to posts that had been there forever, 90 percent sure there were bullet holes in the signs and they just gave general info like "Water crosses this road sometimes Use caution" They were no longer capable of really getting peoples attention. So the county out there agreed that there was a clear and present problem and addressed it. Who thinks me or someone needs to take another ride out there just to keep em honest and see what kind of signage and changes they made?

I'd certainly be curious to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Target fixated into a deer today.

I saw 3 deer cross the road well ahead of myself, and figured they were probably done, but when I got closer to the crossing, a 4th one appeared. The stupid miserable animal started running ALONG the road, matching speed with me, then freaking merged into me trying to cross. I could see the entire process, took maybe 3-5 seconds, but I didn't react. The only thing I can figure is maybe I thought if it was running ALONG the road it wouldn't then try to run INTO the road. But I think it really was just target fixation. Minor scrape on the elbow and yet another busted fairing. Plus I definitely need a new helmet, even though my head is very much intact.

And the godforsaken antler rat had the gall to survive and stagger off. Darwin was wrong, natural selection isn't real.

Seriously starting to wonder if I have the temperament for riding. =/