Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mirconium posted:

Target fixated into a deer today.

I saw 3 deer cross the road well ahead of myself, and figured they were probably done, but when I got closer to the crossing, a 4th one appeared. The stupid miserable animal started running ALONG the road, matching speed with me, then freaking merged into me trying to cross. I could see the entire process, took maybe 3-5 seconds, but I didn't react. The only thing I can figure is maybe I thought if it was running ALONG the road it wouldn't then try to run INTO the road. But I think it really was just target fixation. Minor scrape on the elbow and yet another busted fairing. Plus I definitely need a new helmet, even though my head is very much intact.

And the godforsaken antler rat had the gall to survive and stagger off. Darwin was wrong, natural selection isn't real.

Seriously starting to wonder if I have the temperament for riding. =/

First, good job not dying. Second, target fixation is just a thing. As you get better at riding you will get better at dealing with it but I’m not sure it ever goes away 100%. Your brain just gets overloaded and the amount required to overload it goes up as you get better and better. But every so often a pro or very experienced rider still does it. Third, that honestly doesn’t sound so bad. Deer are jerks but it’s good you’re ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deer are the dumbest animals on the planet. I had one run full speed into the side of my car once. It’s unbelievable how dumb they are and how little self preservation instinct they have.

E: oh also congrats on coming out relatively unscathed. My hatred for deer tends to bubble over sometimes lol

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 19, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

WhyNoOnePayMe posted:

As a follow up on Lockwood Valley Rd and Reyes Creek >>> The Evil Black Algae >>> I just got a call from a cool guy with MoorPark Road and Highway Dept who said they read my report about the situation and even watched the video with the 12 Dakar riders going down you guys gave me the link to and sent somebody out there to put up a lot more signage warning of the hazard about two days after my report. If there had been some new bright orange signs warning about hazardous slippery conditions that stood out I might have avoided all this bullshit that came with low siding a Road Glide Ultra in the middle of a perfectly nice day.

The signage that was there was old, yellowed, stuck to posts that had been there forever, 90 percent sure there were bullet holes in the signs and they just gave general info like "Water crosses this road sometimes Use caution" They were no longer capable of really getting peoples attention. So the county out there agreed that there was a clear and present problem and addressed it. Who thinks me or someone needs to take another ride out there just to keep em honest and see what kind of signage and changes they made?

This is from a few months ago but I'm glad you weren't really hurt and I'm glad your county took it seriously when you reported the problem.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i'll never understand how deer run the gently caress away from bears and wolves or whatever the poo poo else wants to eat them but they'll run head on into a loving SKYJACKER ROUSHI 10" LIFTED DIESEL DURAMAXX POWERWAGON with no regard for themselves

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Mirconium posted:

Target fixated into a deer today.

I saw 3 deer cross the road well ahead of myself, and figured they were probably done, but when I got closer to the crossing, a 4th one appeared. The stupid miserable animal started running ALONG the road, matching speed with me, then freaking merged into me trying to cross. I could see the entire process, took maybe 3-5 seconds, but I didn't react. The only thing I can figure is maybe I thought if it was running ALONG the road it wouldn't then try to run INTO the road. But I think it really was just target fixation. Minor scrape on the elbow and yet another busted fairing. Plus I definitely need a new helmet, even though my head is very much intact.

And the godforsaken antler rat had the gall to survive and stagger off. Darwin was wrong, natural selection isn't real.

Seriously starting to wonder if I have the temperament for riding. =/

I don't think there's a single god drat thing you can do correctly with deer because no matter what, they'll do the opposite of what you anticipate. You could stop and put your kickstand down and the deer might pause for a moment and then just run directly into you.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Strife posted:

I don't think there's a single god drat thing you can do correctly with deer because no matter what, they'll do the opposite of what you anticipate. You could stop and put your kickstand down and the deer might pause for a moment and then just run directly into you.

I actually saw this happen once with a car. Stopped and the deer stopped and then just went careening into the side of the car.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Had my first serious crash a couple weeks ago. Thankfully I'm 100% fine but it was my first off at speed, first time being injured, and first time I'd seriously damaged a bike from anything worse than a bent lever from slowly tipping over.

Crash
I live on the gulf coast, and we recently had a surprisingly damaging storm in hurricane Zeta. Power out for days, buildings damaged, and down trees and power lines everywhere.

The day after the storm It took me twice as long to drive home from work (in my car) because the road I normally take was blocked my downed power lines; this is foreshadowing. The next day I woke up before dawn and decided that, based on what I'd seen yesterday, the chances of a flat tire didn't seem that bad, so I'd take the bike. I put on all of my gear, because I always do, and this is also foreshadowing. Leaving the house that morning, I was a distracted rider; not only was it early and dark, it was the first chilly ride I'd had all year and I'd brought out the winter gear; half my mind was paying attention to where heat was escaping. So, forgetting everything I'd seen about the road yesterday, I turned on my normal route.

I was going about 35 mph when I started to see the power poles leaning towards the road, which is not at all worrying or even uncommon after a bad hurricane. But then I saw that subsequent poles were leaning not just towards but over the road. "That's nuts." mused one part of my early-morning brain, the way I might take in any other interesting view while riding. But another part of my brain had rolled off the throttle and eased onto the brake as I approached the poles, because of course riding under them would stupid. But I didn't consider that the first of the 45 degree poles was connected to the poles next to it, and the cables would be there first, in the dark.

It's a cliched turn of phrase, but the cable really did seem to rush out at me from the dark. The cable hit the bike just along the top of the headlight fairing, bending the speedometer housing at a right angle before striking my chest and clotheslining me into the asphalt. Adrenaline surging, I touched fingertips together, got up, and walked over to the bike, which was lying a few yards past me. I heaved it up (my neck starting to hurt), and saw that the right hand controls were rotated 90 degrees on the bar, but after I finally found the ignition the bike started right up. Full of adrenaline, I hoped back on the bike and road the 5 minutes back home.

Injury
By the time I got home my neck was getting quite stiff, I had a slight headache at the base of my skull, and I had a nasty scrape on my neck from my the strap. I was alone in a house with no power, my cell phone has 20% battery, and no one I knew was answering their phone because they're all probably either out of juice, turned off, or somewhere without service. The idea of being alone in an unpowered house without anyway of calling for help didn't appeal to me, so I took 6 aspirin and got into my car and drove to the next town over where my parents lived. I told them a much milder version of what happened, and, since they have a generator, spent the day icing my neck and listening to an Aubrey Maturin book on Audible.

Gear
HJC C70 Full faced helmet
Forma Adventure Low boots
REV'IT! Striker 3 gloves
Klim Outrider pants
Dainese HF D1 Leather Jacket

Thoughts
Stupid, stupid to forget about the poles. Stupid to be caught up in the feeling of the new feeling of the brisk air instead of the normal deep south mugginess. Stupid even to ride a bike two days out from a bad storm, just because it wasn't Katrina levels of bad. I could have stopped, if I'd thought to; I didn't see the cables, and even the pole was only visible once I was close to it, and I wasted those seconds stupidly slowing down and thinking it over rather than really committing to a stop.

Very glad that I almost always* wear all of my gear without exception; I'm sure I hit the ground as hard as someone gets thrown or dropped in mma, yet my elbows, wrists, knees, ankles etc are all 100% fine; all my joints were armored and I suffered absolutely no injuries aside from some honestly quite minimal whiplash from the sudden stop and abrasion from the strap. After one day of bed rest I felt fine to walk around and do any normal thing, I was doing careful yoga after three days, and a week later I'm completely fine. Stupid, but lucky, especially someone else did the exact same thing on the exact same morning and died.

*When I took the bike around the block just now I didn't go put on armored pants.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 11, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:stare:

glad you're alright dude

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Getting clotheslined by a powerline at speed on a motorcycle is some final destination poo poo. :aaa:

I'm glad you are alive and healing up properly. Good call going to your parents, as you almost certainly had a concussion. Finding out you needed medical attention after the adrenaline wore off and not being able to call for help is a bad situation.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:tviv:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Coydog posted:

Getting clotheslined by a powerline at speed on a motorcycle is some final destination poo poo. :aaa:

That's what I was going to post, but also I'm glad you weren't electrocuted - downed power lines are no joke. We had a case sometime in the past few years where someone touched a downed power line, got shocked (and died), someone sees them in trouble, tries to pull them away, dies, etc. Similar things happen with deadly gases like H2S and CO in enclosed spaces.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

That's what I was going to post, but also I'm glad you weren't electrocuted - downed power lines are no joke. We had a case sometime in the past few years where someone touched a downed power line, got shocked (and died), someone sees them in trouble, tries to pull them away, dies, etc. Similar things happen with deadly gases like H2S and CO in enclosed spaces.

nerve gas will get you every time

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Sorry to hear about your crash but glad that you're alive. Downed powerlines are a really good way to die from electrocution.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Similar things happen with deadly gases like H2S and CO in enclosed spaces.

Whenever I've taken H2S training they really take the time to reinforce that if you're on a sour site, you do not run in to save someone who's lying on the ground without your SCBA (or other air supply) on, otherwise the next guy along is going to have to drag out two people

Glad you're ok, Jack

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

MomJeans420 posted:

Reminds me of that story of a Russian (?) family going into the basement one at a time to check on the person that went in previously, and everyone dying from methane gas from potatoes or something.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Phy posted:

Whenever I've taken H2S training they really take the time to reinforce that if you're on a sour site, you do not run in to save someone who's lying on the ground without your SCBA (or other air supply) on, otherwise the next guy along is going to have to drag out two people

Glad you're ok, Jack

Yeah I think now people are much better educated on the dangers, but I used to work with a bunch of old grizzly oil guys and they had a lot of stories of the various ways to get killed on a drill site.

The messed up thing about H2S is your nose loses sensitivity to it incredibly fast, but I think if you get a good smell of it anyway you're probably screwed (it's been a while since I learned about that). Although CO is also odorless, so probably just as bad.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It was probably a telephone line. Most power lines are not insulated and would definitely kill you. But yeah wow that's the best case scenario I think, besides it not happening. Maybe it's just me but something about the maneuverability of a motorcycle makes definitely bad ideas seem like they might work out. I came across a downed power line on fire a couple weeks back and my first thought was, "hmm maybe I can ride around this" before snapping to my senses.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I came to that same conclusion yeah.

I'm not a lineman or whatever but it was the big line, the ones on the bottom, and I think the power line are the thinner ones up top? Anyway it may not have powered anyway, basically the whole region was without power for days, it happens after bad hurricanes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I came to that same conclusion yeah.

I'm not a lineman or whatever but it was the big line, the ones on the bottom, and I think the power line are the thinner ones up top? Anyway it may not have powered anyway, basically the whole region was without power for days, it happens after bad hurricanes.

Telephone and cable TV are usually at the bottom and power is nearer the top.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Well, I never wanted to post in this thread again but best laid plans etc. I'm sure some of you will take some pleasure out of it, but really I just hope someone can take away something useful even just as an annual cautionary tale.

More than a month ago I was in a severe accident while riding my Tuono. According to the police report I was bleeding from the head unconscious in the road after a pickup truck turned left in front of me out of a subdivision and I could not stop in time to avoid hitting it. According to the report I left an approximately 65 feet of straight braking skidmark before hitting the driver side of the truck.

The blue is where a work truck with tools and trailer were parked with a full crew doing labor behind it on the neighborhood side side. Orange is the pickup trucks path and green is where we collided. Red is the lane I was traveling in and direction, posted speed for the road is 45. Before lawyer clamming up, the driver told police they saw me and decided they had enough time to turn left.

From the damage, I think what happened is I hit the bottom of the driver door with the front wheel which pivoted the back of the bike around the front wheel and launched me into the door. My arms must have extended at the last second and absorbed enough force to break both. Meanwhile my head hit the driver window so hard it shattered and I lost consciousness.

It was a nice day and I wasn't going more than 3 miles so I wasn't wearing my riding gear besides helmet and gloves.
This was the result of impact on my Shoei RF-1200:

I feel lucky to be alive, I broke both arms, a clavicle and fractured my c7 vert. EMS transported me unconscious with a GCS of 3 (no response to pain + no verbalisation + no eye opening) to the emergency room where I remained for 40 minutes with a subarachnoid hemorrhage (brain bleed into skull cavity). Eventually I'm told I regained consciousness but due to the subsequent surgeries to fix my arms with plates I don't have much memory of the next two days. I have had 3 surgeries so far with a fourth possible one in the future depending how things heal.

By the time I was conscious and aware enough to think straight, the towing service said I owed them 900 dollars in storage costs, so after looking at the bike I signed the title over to them + $150 to waive the fee. It had 50,000 miles on it, the bike had a good long life for an Italian bike.

I haven't made any decisions yet on quitting riding (street, will always love dirt) but I am pretty bummed that this degree of injury was acquired while just riding normally doing errands and not something cool like the multitudes of urban stunt rides or fast offroad races I've done.

Anyway bottom line is this poo poo sucks, I have no idea when I'll be able to ride my FE501 again.

Ride safe bros

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Razzled posted:

I feel lucky to be alive, I broke both arms, a clavicle and fractured my c7 vert. EMS transported me unconscious with a GCS of 3 (no response to pain + no verbalisation + no eye opening) to the emergency room where I remained for 40 minutes with a subarachnoid hemorrhage (brain bleed into skull cavity). Eventually I'm told I regained consciousness but due to the subsequent surgeries to fix my arms with plates I don't have much memory of the next two days. I have had 3 surgeries so far with a fourth possible one in the future depending how things heal.

That's a remarkable photo and some pretty gruesome-sounding injuries.

Not to get too personal but would you care to share what your recovery has been like so far regarding the head injury? So much of motorcycle injury talk is about broken bones and road rash.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Goddamn Razzled, I'm glad you're alive and doing somewhat ok. Are you able to do day to day tasks with your arms right now? And head / brain healed by now? "driver told police they saw me and decided they had enough time to turn left" isn't shocking but still infuriating

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

jesus dude glad you’re alive

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Holy loving poo poo I'm glad you survived. That's a really bad situation; basically hitting a wall head on with no warning. You sound really beat up but nothing you can't heal past. At least it's the end of riding season, right?

Thanks for sharing, and I hope it gets easier for you soon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yikes. Glad you made it through all of that!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

jesus dude glad you’re alive

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You're probably already aware of this and hopefully on top of it, but just in case and with the US being the US, you need a lawyer.

*edit*
I meant your own personal attorney, not one provided by your insurance company

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I’m glad you’re on the mend from that.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

FBS posted:

That's a remarkable photo and some pretty gruesome-sounding injuries.

Not to get too personal but would you care to share what your recovery has been like so far regarding the head injury? So much of motorcycle injury talk is about broken bones and road rash.

For the first two weeks after discharge from the hospital I was having some problems with short term memory. I could tell I was getting on my family's nerves sometimes when I asked questions because it was something they had already answered several times. For the first month I also had weird mood swings where some days I'd be like a zombie with no facial expressions or preferences, or I'd be really down and super angry at random things. Luckily it seems to be doing better these days so I'm hoping neuro will tell me I'm fine at my first check up for my vertabra.

MomJeans420 posted:

Goddamn Razzled, I'm glad you're alive and doing somewhat ok. Are you able to do day to day tasks with your arms right now? And head / brain healed by now? "driver told police they saw me and decided they had enough time to turn left" isn't shocking but still infuriating

My right arm has healed and I've started PT but the range of motion and strength loss are insane. I still can't do basic things like wipe my own rear end or shampoo the left side of my head. The left arm has complications so it's still casted. I've slowly realized how hosed up I really am and have resigned myself to the fact that it may be a year or more before I can do anything I used to. I can't even rev a motorcycle right now.

MomJeans420 posted:

You're probably already aware of this and hopefully on top of it, but just in case and with the US being the US, you need a lawyer

Yup, found a well rated one who is working on things.

Thanks all for the well wishes.

Razzled fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 22, 2020

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
poo poo, man. I'm amazed that much damage went through the RF1200, but I'm so glad you're alive. I can't imagine how much of a pain in the rear end it must be to have two broken arms.

Having wild mood swings is normal coming out of surgery of any kind, moreso brain surgery, so I'm glad that's getting back to normal. I had abdominal surgery about 10 years ago and one day post-op I just couldn't stop crying. It was weird. I didn't even feel sad, but I couldn't control it.

Don't worry about what it's going to be like to get back on a bike or if you'll even want to do that, just take it daily right now.

Also good on you for getting a lawyer. The first three words in the OP should just be "get a lawyer." Auto insurance doesn't give a single gently caress about motorcycle riders, so you'll need one just to get anything done.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Razzled posted:

I still can't do basic things like wipe my own rear end

Now is probably a good time to invest in a Toto, I got one at the beginning of the pandemic and it's a game changer. But in all seriousness, I'm glad you already have an attorney because you don't even really know yet what your permanent damages are going to be, and without your own attorney the system is designed to screw you over.

It sounds like you're in a good place mentally in terms of accepting healing and physical therapy can take a long time, but the good news is I've known people with all sorts of ridiculously bad injuries who managed to recover and are pretty much as good as new (off the top of my head - blown up by IED, shot in the face, shattered pelvis from being hit by a car after getting out of their car on the freeway for a minor fender-bender, ridiculously bad broken arm from mountain biking, broken ankle / foot from dirt biking, plus two people who tore their Achilles tendon). poo poo, I tore a tendon in my ankle and it took a good nine months to get 95% healed.

Strife posted:

Also good on you for getting a lawyer. The first three words in the OP should just be "get a lawyer." Auto insurance doesn't give a single gently caress about motorcycle riders, so you'll need one just to get anything done.

100%, at least in the US. I think most people from other countries are aware of our problems, but covid really emphasized how much the government here is not going to help out when things go wrong. Having healthcare tied to your employment is also a horrible idea.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 23, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm reading this late because I don't have this thread bookmarked but drat Razzled, I'm glad you survived and wish you a good recovery. As someone who has had to recover from sports related concussions and spine injuries, it loving sucks but you'll get there. Best wishes for your 2021.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Hey Razzled how is your recovery going?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Hot loving drat. Glad you are alive.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

MomJeans420 posted:

Hey Razzled how is your recovery going?

Right wrist is continuing to respond well to PT, some of my flexion/extension measurements are starting to enter normal adult ranges. Still super weak and painful to put weight on though. Spine was cleared by neurosurgery so the brace is off, but I have a weird click in my neck every so often when looking down. Not painful just weird. Clavicle is healing well and I can do light lifting with the right arm (grocery bag level).

I did end up having a 4th surgery on my left arm to repair the TFCC ligament in my wrist, one end was torn off the ulna when it was dislocated. It's not for sure whether this will work but my dr seemed optimistic-- he put suture anchors into the bone to secure the tfcc in order to reduce wrist joint instability. During surgery he also found one of the tendons was on the wrong side of the ulna likely contributing to the ulna sliding out of place when trying to move the wrist. In addition, a ct scan before hand revealed that my thumb had been broken+dislocated since the accident but was never caught because my cast/splint never allowed movement and all xrays were focused on my forearm as that is where the break was.

So my left arm had both a Galeazzi fracture (radius mid shaft break, ulna dislocation at the wrist) and a Bennett's fracture (fracture dislocation of the first metacarpal [thumb base]). Both items were fixed and bones were pinned to prevent any rotation of the arm or movement of the thumb.

There will be a small fifth surgery to remove the pins as they are under the skin, not the kinds that end outside and can be pulled out.

So yeah, all very fun poo poo. The hand/wrist surgery is the most pain I remember being in during this whole poo poo show, percocets didnt help even with max dosage and were giving me hiccups lol so i stopped taking them and just suffered after literally 28 hours of hiccups.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

opioid hiccups are the funniest thing, but I am glad you're on your way through recovery. scary poo poo

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Razzled posted:

So yeah, all very fun poo poo. The hand/wrist surgery is the most pain I remember being in during this whole poo poo show, percocets didnt help even with max dosage and were giving me hiccups lol so i stopped taking them and just suffered after literally 28 hours of hiccups.

OK everything else sounds bad enough (pretty bad actually), but I don't know if I could handle 28 hrs of hiccups, that almost sounds worse than everything else

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
https://youtu.be/73rhzpqk12c

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Everyone's favourite thread to bump!

I got rear ended at a roundabout last week. I managed to stay upright, but got punted forwards 10 m or so. At the time I couldn't set any damage at all, then ten minutes later realised my end can took quite a bit of the hit and was wrecked.

I was thinking about just sticking a used one on to keep insurance out of it, but decided against in the end. As the assessors were loading my bike into the van, I realised the rear wheel isn't looking square in the frame any more. I can't see what would cause that other than terminal damage of some sort?

Now I'm just hoping the insurers pull through...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Much more likely the rear subframe is bent than the swingarm/frame but it depends on the hit. You're pretty lucky even if it doesn't feel like it rn.