Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Yes, I agree I was very lucky I didn't immediately get side swiped by another car on the roundabout after getting hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Glad to hear you're ok!

Bike is toast with that sorta damage right?

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I imagine so, it not worth a lot and they will only use new replacement parts. It's pretty much a grand in parts for the exhaust and subframe plus the labour. I just hope they don't try and screw me over too much.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
The insurance company were very generous in the end, they paid out more than I paid for the bike originally. Certainly, more than I would have paid for it pre-crash. I put the money toward a 2022 MT-09. It had about 600 miles on the clock when I bought it.

Yesterday someone pulled out on me from a sideroad and I bounced off their rear quarter. Damage to the front wheel, engine, frame etc. It looks a lot like another write off to me. It never even got to 1000 miles on the clock.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Megabook posted:

The insurance company were very generous in the end, they paid out more than I paid for the bike originally. Certainly, more than I would have paid for it pre-crash. I put the money toward a 2022 MT-09. It had about 600 miles on the clock when I bought it.

Yesterday someone pulled out on me from a sideroad and I bounced off their rear quarter. Damage to the front wheel, engine, frame etc. It looks a lot like another write off to me. It never even got to 1000 miles on the clock.

Good job not dying. Again. Consider riding with a gopro of some variety to record the folks hitting you.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

me: Someone who's good with motorcycles help me figure out how to spend less on them

you: Stop crashing them

me: no

https://streamable.com/jh5j93

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is that The Ridge? Nice leathers, Evel :hehe:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Glad you’re ok, bike looks decent as well? Just body work?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Glad you are good. I can't even see what happened. Sumo bike was in that corner, then not. That wind was blowing the front wheel fairing good...

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
Posting for a friend, he went into a ditch at 40mph wearing an ebay airbag vest and said he didn't feel anything on his torso and it did a great job of supporting his neck
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394011564972

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, just don’t buy the “protect butt” brand off eBay.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah tethered bags are relatively low tech so a cheap one off eBay might be fine, but I just don't trust that stuff. Helite Turtle 2 has a good reputation for over-the-top bags, and they have a "GP" one with a cutout for the hump on most suits. I do wonder about the abrasion resistance they have, not necessarily for you but so they aren't destroyed after a single use.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 7, 2023

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah tethered bags are relatively low tech so a cheap one off eBay might be fine, but I just don't trust that stuff. Helite Turtle 2 has a good reputation for over-the-top bags, and they have a "GP" one with a cutout for the hump on most suits. I do wonder about the abrasion resistance they have, not necessarily for you but so they aren't destroyed after a single use.

A Turtle 2 is my next big gear purchase when I drop another 10-20 pounds. They're 600D so I'd imagine they can take a bit of a slide but if that money saves a broken rib or a snapped collarbone that's still coming out ahead if it's thrashed after a crash.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Didn't think I would ever post in this thread, and yet here I am. This past Sunday I was on my way to install some engine guards on my 2023 Indian Scout and in a cruel twist of fate, someone panic braked in front of me. I braked, realized I couldn't stop in time and swerved. The bike missed the car but my left leg slammed into a 2021 Honda Accord. I don't remember much between watching myself hit the car and then start rolling. This was on a California freeway and I think the accident happened at 50 mph. I remember counting how many times I rolled when my lower back would touch the pavement and that I shut my eyes.

I high sided and this bike was sliding right after me.

I flew 15 feet and rolled about 40 feet and stopped in lane 2 of this freeway

I ended up breaking the tip of my ring finger into 3 pieces and getting Gamekeeper's thumb, except the tendon ripped the bone off with it. Yesterday the doctors deemed it was ok to just splint/cast things and are expecting my hand to fully recover in 4 weeks.

I was wearing a Shoei RF-1400 helmet. According to the witness, I landed on my forehead first. I didn't even realize I landed head first. I just remember falling off and then rolling. Inside of the helmet had no damage from my skull hitting it.

After landing on my head, I then landed on my left shoulder and the jacket split. I was wearing composite shoulder + elbow armor under my jacket and had 2 layers of armor on my spine since the original armor was just foam and the new armor was too uncomfortable alone. I was relatively unscathed. My shoulder is very sore and not very mobile, but I have no bruises or broken arms/ribs/spine. This was a Tourmaster Pivot 2 I bought used.

I pretty much rag-dolled from that point on. Arms and legs flailing. My left hand sustained a fracture on my ring fingertip and left thumb had a muscle pulled, where the red circles are. Blue circle is a puncture in the glove where my middle finger has a gouge. Yellow circles are where the glove received severe abrasion. This was a pair of Alpinestars WR-X GTX gloves

My knees were protected by a set of Axial Level 2 Armor. I only received major bruising/skin tearing where my left leg wasn't protected. I won't post gore, but here is my leg wrapped on Sunday. I had a hematoma the size of a cue ball. My inner thigh was also injured (not shown). These were Street and Steel Oakland Jeans.

My left boot is partially separated at the heel. I had the zipper replaced under warranty with a stronger one. The original boot zipper would not have survived the crash. These are Sidi Denver Boots.

I am pretty torn up about the bike. I still don't know why the driver slammed on their brakes but I think the witness knows. I am also waiting on the results of the investigation. Bike is a total loss and I plan to take a break from riding for a few months. Might buy another bike in a couple of years when insurance rates cool down a little. What matters is I took my protection seriously and spent hours in a parking lot practicing slow speed and evasive maneuvers. I know if I just hopped on without that practice, I would have rear ended that car square on. This bike was only 1 month old with 260 miles. Was a blast to ride.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Glad you're alive, glad you were geared, glad you posted this, but consider that hard braking out of the blue by someone in front of you isn't a twist of fate, it's a regular occurrence in traffic for which you needed to be better prepared.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Glad you're alive and not too badly injured. Good thing you were wearing all your gear -- especially the full-face helmet.

Honestly it doesn't really matter why the car braked. Cars do stupid poo poo all the time, and even if they're 100% "at fault," you as a motorcyclist will always lose in a collision. You must be constantly vigilant, you must drill your reflexes until they're automatic, and you must leave enough space around you to have an escape route.

I think your post about having just gotten the bike, your first, was maybe three weeks ago? Looks like the hivemind was bang-on in this case about starting on something small (lighter bikes brake faster and steer more quickly) and staying around the neighborhood until you've got some practice in. I won't rub it in, but any newbies reading should learn from this lesson.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 18, 2024

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Heal up goon, that looks rough. Glad you were geared up well. You said your lower back touched? Did the jacket ride up or do you mean just hitting pavement in general? Surprised and happy you don’t need hand surgery. Some PT probably in order for it though?

I’m not gonna pile on, hopefully you take it slower and easier next time you decide to get back on two wheels. And on a much lighter, nimbler bike.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I will also applaud you for wearing proper gear. That was a smart decision that I'm pretty certain saved your life. (Though I've always been wary of zippers on boots).

As someone who has suffered numerous bicycle falls and injuries, I will advise that you remain diligent about icing, compressing, and elevating. It absolutely does speed up recovery. Pain tends to come in waves, so take your painkillers as you feel pain rising rather than when it reaches its peak. No need to suffer.

Pay close attention to the parts of your body that were crushed. If you feel a growing tightness, pressure, or numbness around soft tissues, go to a doctor right away -- you may have compartment syndrome. I waited a day to get my leg checked out after getting doored and I still have nerve damage in my leg.

Also, people have a tendency to self-soothe with indulgent food after an injury, but this is really the time to try to eat even healthier than usual. More vegetables, more fiber, especially if you are on prescription pain meds or antibiotics.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Good on you for having a real helmet, this is a great example of why half helmets and brain buckets are nearly as bad as wearing nothing.

Everyone thinks they'll john wick their way through an accident, but sometimes you land face first on the concrete without even realizing it.

Heal up, and I'm glad you're (for the most part) OK

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Hell yeah I love seing good equipment busted up, that's why we wear it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll pile on gently.

It makes no difference who was at fault, it's a crash you could have easily avoided. The thing to do now is to accept that and try to soberly understand it. If you double down on it being out of your control you're doomed to keep having dumb avoidable crashes forever. The vast majority of the riding population are in this boat which is why you must never listen to them about riding advice, ironic I know.

First line of defense is vigilance, understanding the dumb bullshit cars do all the time, and putting yourself in a position that maximizes your protection from their dumbness.

Second line of defense is skill, you need to rigorously and systematically practice emergency braking and swerving. Your lizard brain can't improvise on the fly, it can only use trained reactions. Your thinking brain can't react fast enough to have a think about what to do in the moment. The only thing you can do is train yourself and hope you react the right way when, not if, it happens again.

Thirdly, you really need a much smaller, much lighter bike. Literally everything about learning to ride gets exponentially harder with every kilo of weight and inch of wheelbase. The scout is a horribly heavy, horribly long, horribly slow steering bike even by experienced rider standards; from a purely statistical sense this was basically inevitable because you aren't john wick and won't just instantly master riding dynamics on a bike pretty much designed to make it as hard as possible. You can keep trying to learn on a big heavy cruiser but you'll progress so slowly that short of never leaving your neighborhood for years, you're not going to learn fast enough to overcome the probability of getting in another unavoidable crash situation. Get a learner bike for learning.

Good job wearing your gear, it likely saved your life, but it should also be your absolute last line of defense. The best riders have shiny untouched gear because they successfully avoid going down.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Glad you are ok. Sorry about the bike, that sucks. If you do decide to get another bike consider a Rebel 300 or 500. It doesn’t look as good but is still pretty stylish and I miss how easy it was to maneuver mine around.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
As I serial poster in this thread, get well soon. Crashing bikes sucks, but I hope you don't give up riding. I'm not sure what availability of advanced training focusing on road riding is like in the US but it might be worth booking some. Thanks for reminding me to do the same!

Edit to add, I'm still waiting on the payout from my last incident.

Megabook fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 19, 2024

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Had a little low-speed, low-side in the maccas parking lot today; was going maybe 10 mph, turning left to head for the exit and the bike just got sleepy I guess. Frame/spool sliders took all the damage on the bike other then a bent shift lever (which bent back pretty easily) and the only damage I can spot on my gear is maybe a little chaffing on my pants right over the hip pad; the Egg McMuffins made it through unscathed. Lesson learned: don't try to carve corners in wet parking lots first thing in the morning.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

bizwank posted:

Had a little low-speed, low-side in the maccas parking lot today; was going maybe 10 mph, turning left to head for the exit and the bike just got sleepy I guess. Frame/spool sliders took all the damage on the bike other then a bent shift lever (which bent back pretty easily) and the only damage I can spot on my gear is maybe a little chaffing on my pants right over the hip pad; the Egg McMuffins made it through unscathed. Lesson learned: don't try to carve corners in wet parking lots first thing in the morning.

poo poo go cobber

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bizwank posted:

Egg McMuffins made it through unscathed

Thank god

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Not sausage egg McMuffins though? Questionable decisions throughout.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

BombermanX posted:

I ended up breaking the tip of my ring finger into 3 pieces and getting Gamekeeper's thumb

God how loving frustrating is it to get into a motorcycle accident and have an injury that sounds like it was caused by excessive videogames.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
This is not my first post in the crash test thread(s) but probably my last. I was rear ended on my emoto driving home from work last night by two teenagers smoking weed in a stolen Hyundai. Felt like a god slapped me from behind and tossed me into the air. Experienced time slowdown, which was pretty unique in itself- I was conscious of waiting for the movement to stop, and tensed to be run over, but was surprised when I wasn't. I got up immediately and got out of the road, then pretty quickly had to sit down because my legs felt Bad. The two guys in the car ran away, after trying to drive the car away with the airbags blocking them.

I went to A&E, x-rays showed now bone damage, and I'm walking around just fine now.

Bike is completely toast. The car slammed into a parked car and the bike sort of crumpled between the two, and also shunted into a third. In a very slightly different set of circumstances, such as if the parked car had a taller grill, I suspect my legs would have been completely pulverised. The police couldn't actually move the Hyundai without a tow truck.

Once again a good quality helmet, jacket and gloves allowed me to walk away. I'm in better shape now than I've ever been physically, and I think I owe a lot of my feelings okay today to musculoskeletal conditioning.

I have photos and even some CCTV footage but I'll wait until they're no longer part of an ongoing investigation.

Without trying to sound melodramatic, I'm going to stop riding bikes. I've written off 6 or 7 motorcycles in 30 or so years of riding and only one of those was my fault. This was my 5th time in hospital, and though not my most serious accident, it was only a slight twist of fate away from being completely life ending/changing. My accident in 2014 was the closest I've been to death and it didn't have the same affect on me as this one has, probably because I was conscious through all of it.
I spoke to my wife at length, and she's always been supportive of my hobbies - even the dangerous ones - but frankly I can no longer justify the risk. In an ideal world I could continue as I am and be completely safe, but sadly we are surrounded by people driving increasingly large, fast vehicles with very little concern for their surroundings, distracted by smartphones, who don't take safety and driving competence as seriously as I do.

I love bikes, ever since I rode a Yamaha pw50 at the age of 4, an old xr75 a couple of years after that, up to the Xr650r (still the pinnacle of motorcycle engineering purpose, fight me). I'm going to goodbye to that, because my life is too precious, and I enjoy it too much, to leave it up to a coked up idiot to whether I get to keep walking or not.

This is not a cautionary tale so much as me sharing experience of the universe giving me yet another sign to walk away while I can. I think motorcycles are one of the best things about this stupid human experience and I hope anyone reading this won't be perturbed. I think bike people get it. I have to make peace with loving something dearly, and knowing it cannot be part of my life any more.

Ride safe.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Holy smokes, glad you're OK. Totally understand about hanging up the boots, if you aren't feeling it then don't force it.

Remember to lift weights y'all; even if you aren't or don't wanna be jacked, it improves your bone density!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Glad you’re alright and totally understandable about calling it quits. Hope you stay and shitpost here though!

My buddy and I call going to the gym to lift weight putting one more coin in the bank for old age, for unexpected things, to make life easier (like when we cleaned and jerked a couch over my 6 foot fence). I know being in good shape has prevented several low speed falls for me on the both kinds of bikes.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

You're certainly not wrong about the inherent risk of sharing the street, some places being worse than others. The time I stopped riding there was absolutely a big element of relief. My caution slips here and there, and between that and other drivers over the years there were definitely points where it was luck alone that prevented death or injury, so calling it quits seemed like the best of all worlds. I got to experience a bunch of riding, a few crashes without lasting impacts, and to walk away with the memories.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fwiw we've had a number of people in here who have made similar decisions, whether because they had kids or they got hit too many times or whatever, and many of them just gave up street riding. Dirt bikes scratch the itch and trees are like ten thousand times less likely to kill you than cars.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Goddamned cars man. The bit about grill height is sticking with me in particular since one of my biggest fears is getting hit by a modern truck. Definitely reasonable to walk away from riding.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Especially with all the yahoos riding around cities in $80,000 lifted penis extensions with spotless covered beds that have never seen a day of work in their lives, gently caress cars

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
So a positive thing that came out of the experience - when I was waiting to be x-rayed I sent the following flippant email to Beeline customer support as a bit of humour therapy for myself.

To whom it may concern,

For Christmas 2022, I was delighted to receive a long-coveted Beeline Moto 2 from my darling wife. I had wanted one for some time but, being unable to buy things for myself without being racked with consumer guilt, I had to wait for a generous spouse to fill this particular void. I have been using the Beeline since that time and enjoyed the no-frills, easy to read display, long battery life, and minimalist design.

That was until last night, when I was rear-ended by a stolen Hyundai piloted inexpertly by a couple of London's delightful youth community who were battling a chronic and tragic case of "being completely addled sideways by the devil's lettuce." I've attached a photo of the damage sustained to my bike; luckily I walked away unscathed. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for my Beeline, which to my dismay, was also the subject of some minor cosmetic damage (also pictured.)

My email is to ask about repair options available for such minor (some would say trivial) damage, and to also register my dismay that the casing isn't able to withstand direct impact with a two-tonne late model hybrid travelling at excess of 40mph on a quiet residential street. Yours sincerely...

The Beeline had been on my handlebars during the accident and was reduced to component parts in the crash. I expected a similarly flippant response, but they actually just sent me an upgraded model and case free of charge, no questions asked. The customer service rep was also suitably sympathetic.

I'm not one to shill for companies but I cannot overstate how nice it was to be treated well as a customer. They were under no obligation to help me out but they did. I'll be using it for cycling and in my car and writing them a glowing review in any case.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shelvocke posted:

unable to buy things for myself without being racked with consumer guilt

Oh good, I'm not the only one.

Also thats super cool of them to send you a new one

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Shelvocke posted:

I'm not one to shill for companies but I cannot overstate how nice it was to be treated well as a customer. They were under no obligation to help me out but they did. I'll be using it for cycling and in my car and writing them a glowing review in any case.

This is how you make customers for life. It cost them almost nothing and now you will alway recommend them not because they gave you a replacement, but because they treated you like a human being.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I'm almost certainly buying one of those as soon as the new model is released and some non-biased reviews are out, in no small part because of this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had a look at the site, and it does look pretty neat. I only use mapping occasionally with a spare old iPhone, but it's kind of a pain to find a good place to mount it. That Beeline kinda looks the ticket. Although I'm more inclined to navigate my street name than "turn in $X metres," but I'm sure it's just something to get used to.