Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I also have a 71 CL350 and you have a mix of parts from different models. That's a CB front end (the CL forks have gaiters) and tank (CL didn't have the chrome trim piece on the bottom, and also had a bat wing sort of paint job and was a somewhat more round shape).

Actually the more I look at it you also have CB rear wheel (smaller sprocket) and rear suspension (those slider things on the top, CLs didn't have those) and oh I just read your later post where you say it's actually a CB and you just have the CL pipes. Yeah, that sounds right.

I think you should definitely replace the points with electronic ignition for reliability. Like, points can work just fine, but to me it's kind of like brake speed-bleeders in that if you replace it once up front you'll never have to mess with it again and that's worth it. (Or deal with stuff like your bike dying because you rode through a rainstorm and the lovely tin cover over the points leaked and let water in and shorted them out). I have a PAMCO ignition that was definitely less than $230 but I don't know if they make it any more. It keeps the original advancer and only replaces the point mechanism and it works great. Also, these old bikes had a really lovely 25-watt incandescent (not even halogen) headlamp and it wasn't intended to run all the time like on a modern bike, so when (not if) you upgrade the headlamp, make sure it's a <25 watt LED unit and/or upgrade the alternator as well.

The starter on mine squealed when I first got it so I took it off and put in a rubber freeze plug (lol) and it's worked perfectly fine as a kicker only ever since. It's frustrating while you're working out the tuning and it's stalling all the time, but once you're past that point there's no problem.

I will echo Gorson and say don't bother trying to put a GSXR front end on it unless you're really fascinated by the look. The rear suspension is like a pogo stick and the frame is steel bicycle tubing and it's just not gonna gain you anything except better brakes. My CL can just touch 100mph indicated (so that's like, 87mph true) but that was terrifying and I am not really comfortable going more than 60 because it's just too squirrelly. Just put on some good quality tires and make sure the brakes have good shoes and see how it feels.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just for future reference there are only like 50 different keys (maybe less) for all these CB350s so you can just look on eBay for Honda T1927 (T is the key pattern, 1927 is the code) and you'll find one. Might be better than replacing the ignition.

Also get yourself a manual impact driver, the kind you hit with a hammer. It's basically a required tool to work on old bikes with lovely screws and it will probably save you a lot of drilling.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Did you set it so that it turns left when you hit it, instead of right?