Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

What is Tower of God?

Tower of God, Korean name 신의 탑, is an anime adaptation of a webtoon of the same name written by S.I.U (Slave In Utero). It follows the journey of Baam Yoru Bam as he climbs the titular tower in pursuit of Rachel, a cool girl who was nice to him when no one was because he was trapped in an underground cave and presumably not a lot of people could actually reach him down there.

This anime is one of the Crunchyroll Originals and is created in collaboration with Webtoon. It airs every Wednesday.

MyAnimeList posted:

There is a tower that summons chosen people called "Regulars" with the promise of granting their deepest desires. Whether it be wealth, fame, authority, or something that surpasses them all—everything awaits those who reach the top.

Twenty-Fifth Bam is a boy who had only known a dark cave, a dirty cloth, and an unreachable light his entire life. So when a girl named Rachel came to him through the light, his entire world changed. Becoming close friends with Rachel, he learned various things about the outside world from her. But when Rachel says she must leave him to climb the Tower, his world shatters around him. Vowing to follow after her no matter what it takes, he sets his sight on the tower, and a miracle occurs.

Thus begins the journey of Bam, a young boy who was not chosen by the Tower but opened its gates by himself. They call his kind "Irregulars"—beings that have shaken the very foundation of the Tower each time they set foot inside it.

Why should I watch it?

To reiterate an overused comparison: if you like the first arc of Hunter x Hunter, Tower of God scratches the same itch with a fun supporting cast, propensity for puzzles, and in-depth worldbuilding. While I can't go too much into ToG's strengths without saying spoilers, it's the sort of epic which builds on itself. The webtoon has been going on strong since 2010, and only now has it gotten some sort of animated adaption - in fact, it's the first webtoon to be adapted into an anime. You can watch the first few episodes for the novelty.

Also listen to the soundtrack, done by the fantastic Kevin Penkin (composer of Shield Hero and Made In Abyss).

Cool! I can't watch anime for whatever reason, though. Is there a way I can read it?

The English Webtoon site has translations more or less up to the most current chapter released on Korean Webtoon. That link goes to the very first chapter, as the preview images for the most recent chapters can contain spoilers. Explore at your own risk.

What's the spoiler policy for this thread?

No spoilers, period. No nudge nudge wink wink, no implying things, no confirming or denying theories with knowledge anime viewers don't have yet. If you want to talk about how that One Poster predicted the entire webcomic or whatever do that in the ToG manhwa thread. I would be more lenient on this except people have already toed the line in the general spring season anime thread. Especially that one topic. You all know the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a very good show so far and has maybe become what I look forward to the most each week. It helps that the Floor of Test arcs are in general I feel a pretty strong string of arcs and character introductions and it's really nice to see it look as good as it does compared to the early parts of the comic. I have no idea what kind of legs the adaption will have and what they have in mind for the future but I hope it goes for a while.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What kind of name is "Twenty Fifth Bam" anyway?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It translates to "the Twenty-Fifth Night", basically. Whether this is elaborated on or further explored, you'll just have to wait and see.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Given that the super powerful weapons are named after months, I'd assume so.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nate RFB posted:

It translates to "the Twenty-Fifth Night", basically. Whether this is elaborated on or further explored, you'll just have to wait and see.

calling your MC jesus would be a bit much

unless its actually jesus

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

I tried googling Bam to find out why the voice actors were saying Yoru and saw his name was Twenty Fifth Bam thing and thought it was a spoiler of him beating the tower and getting the title or something. Glad it isn't.

Show is good, really want to read the webcomic but the show is gooood

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Yeah, Bam means night in Korean, hence why he's called Yoru in the Japanese dub. Apparently Bam in Korean can also mean chestnut, so his name could be read as The 25th Chestnut.

I tend to prefer reading the original versions of most series so when I got intrigued by the first couple of anime episodes, I ended up binging the whole drat comic in about a week and I'd say I like the webtoon better even though I'm enjoying the anime quite a bit so far. The sketch-like style of the anime is cool, but the art style in the webtoon has a smoother style and gets gorgeous as it progresses, and the entire series is full-color.

Be prepared though - the crown game was shown in the webtoon in like 2010, so there's a hell of a lot of comic down that rabbit hole.

Even though I'm liking the studio they got's take on the series, after seeing Demon Slayer, I still think UFOtable would be the studio that could do full justice to the webtoon's action.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 30, 2020

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Finding a studio that can do justice to this kind of comic is difficult. See the OPM anime. Hopefully they stay good with TOG

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
If there is a season 2, I hope they get a little more budget for the fight scenes. These episodes were pretty good but it's definitely not the crazy good animated fight scenes some series get. Still, I'm pretty happy with how the crown game went. I hope anime only folks are enjoying it as much as I am.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Two Tone Shoes posted:

If there is a season 2, I hope they get a little more budget for the fight scenes. These episodes were pretty good but it's definitely not the crazy good animated fight scenes some series get. Still, I'm pretty happy with how the crown game went. I hope anime only folks are enjoying it as much as I am.

I mean the early parts of the comic are not particularly fight heavy to begin with. It isn't well into the later arcs that we see the big flashy poo poo head out.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Eh, the fight animation was definitely anemic so far. The Anaak debut fight in particular was pretty underwhelming compared to webtoon, where the art sold her strength and power a lot better imho. On the other hand, the fight in episode 5 looked pretty good, so I have hopes. In general, I feel the 5th episode was the strongest one so far.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

What webtoon are you all looking at? This arc in the webtoon looks like trash compared to the anime.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 1, 2020

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I dont blame you. The webtoon is really rough for the first season or two. But the art definitely gets better.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

Eh, the fight animation was definitely anemic so far. The Anaak debut fight in particular was pretty underwhelming compared to webtoon, where the art sold her strength and power a lot better imho. On the other hand, the fight in episode 5 looked pretty good, so I have hopes. In general, I feel the 5th episode was the strongest one so far.

you cant just say this kinda thing and not show off am example

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

It's kinda hard to not be posting spoilers while showing off the art in the more recent arcs of the webtoon, but I feel like it really picks up in the second season and the third season (current arc) has some incredible stuff in it.

If people are curious for an example, here's a comparison of Khun's face from his first introduction to a close up from season 2 of the webtoon to give a taste of how the art has evolved:

I'd kinda forgotten how sketch-like the earliest chapters were.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

no i really specifically mean if you say 'this fight looked better in the manwha' you should show a panel of that fight off

Patware fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 1, 2020

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Patware posted:

no i really specifically mean if you say 'this fight looked better in the manwha' you should show a panel of that fight off

I wasn't the one making that argument, but here's a bit from the crown game in the anime:
https://i.imgur.com/6prEfct.mp4

here's the panels of that scene in the webtoon:

I thought it looks fine in the anime, but the webtoon does emphasize more how she's a physical beast on a different level from most people.

e: I really don't want to get into an extended "but the webtoon did it this way" type of discussion, but since someone asked and I had it all on hand I just dropped it in here, if folks want to talk about the anime in the context of the webtoon we should take it over to the webtoon thread.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 1, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I think they did a fine job establishing that she's strong as gently caress when she just punches down a wall to see Bam's sword.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Sorry about not responding sooner, I was out, but thankfully, ATP_Power posted the exact panel I had in mind. The art in general is obviously rougher than in anime, but her hits and impacts from them are drawn to look harder, faster and with more weight behind them compared to the ponderous and floaty animation in the show. That being said, it's hardly a big flaw and later fights do flow a lot better (the one in episode 5 being straight up better than in webtoon, IMHO) so it's not even a complaint about the animation of the show in general, just something that bugged me when I watched that particular scene. :shrug:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I started watching this today and am really enjoying it so far. Rak is cool that's all I have to say bye

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

I started watching this today and am really enjoying it so far. Rak is cool that's all I have to say bye

You need say no more. We all must recognize the beauty and genius of our alligator overlord.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
There's this one music track they keep playing and it's super distracting to me, because it sounds so goddamn much like the (in itself rather generic) Blood Rave from the 1998 Blade movie. And I can't unhear it.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Zwiebel posted:

There's this one music track they keep playing and it's super distracting to me, because it sounds so goddamn much like the (in itself rather generic) Blood Rave from the 1998 Blade movie. And I can't unhear it.

Yeah. After watching 1-5 yesterday, the filler music in general was my only pet peeve.
Given the source material, I think the anime adaption so far is competent. Let's see how this goes..

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I tried reading the webtoon but being spoiled by the animation and then going to that art is real rough. Maybe this season of anime will end far enough in the future that I'll be able to pick up at that point?

Also, if Khun's bag makes chocolate copies, and the crown copies dissapear, does that mean Rak always wants more chocolate because it keeps disappearing from his tummy?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Arianya posted:

I tried reading the webtoon but being spoiled by the animation and then going to that art is real rough. Maybe this season of anime will end far enough in the future that I'll be able to pick up at that point?

Also, if Khun's bag makes chocolate copies, and the crown copies dissapear, does that mean Rak always wants more chocolate because it keeps disappearing from his tummy?

I think it would be the case even if they didn't disappear.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Arianya posted:

It tastes great and that's all Rak cares about. Also I know I would happily eat infinite chocolate that didn't cause weight gain or diabetes.

READ the webtoon. The art will improve.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The anime is true enough to the source material that I thinking you can start with season 2 in the webtoon when the anime season 1 finishes.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Been rereading the webtoon lately and the anime censors a lot of blood/gore.

This guy's arm is cut off entirely in the webtoon, for example.

limeicebreakers fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 6, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Endorsi is cool.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Did they say Anaak is dead? Or was it that her mother is dead?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Her mother.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Did they say Anaak is dead? Or was it that her mother is dead?

Her mother, Anak Zahard Sr., is dead.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

Endorsi is cool.

yea she rules.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Endorsi is cool but it's kinda hard to know who in the cast it's okay to root for with how the teams have been shaken up.

Seems pretty likely horny guy is a smile on the outside/mad on the inside who wants to find out how Bam managed to turn himself into Shinsu.

Anaak's backstory is interesting but I can't really root for her since her whole role so far has been being kinda battlecrazy and bitchy.

What class is Khun? He seems like a Scout-y type but we already have our Scout in Mr Tracksuit so I figure he must be a Lightbearer, which seemed like the most interesting class.

I look forward to Bam shooting someone with Shinsu next week and accidentally murdering them because he's got supershinsu or whatever

Arianya fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 6, 2020

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Arianya posted:

Endorsi is cool but it's kinda hard to know who in the cast it's okay to root for with how the teams have been shaken up.

Seems pretty likely horny guy is a smile on the outside/mad on the inside who wants to find out how Bam managed to turn himself into Shinsu.

Anaak's backstory is interesting but I can't really root for her since her whole role so far has been being kinda battlecrazy and bitchy.

What class is Khun? He seems like a Scout-y type but we already have our Scout in Mr Tracksuit so I figure he must be a Lightbearer, which seemed like the most interesting class.

I look forward to Bam shooting someone with Shinsu next week and accidentally murdering them because he's got supershinsu or whatever

Khun was in the Light Bearer class. Thus the big floating computer rooms.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Is there anyone in multiple classes? There seems to be a lot of overlap between scout and light bearer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also lmao at this whole sequence

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Baam's new outfit reminds me of Naruto's original outfit, albeit in completely different colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there anyone in multiple classes? There seems to be a lot of overlap between scout and light bearer.

Minor setting spoilers: People tend to develop skills associated with multiple positions as they go up the Tower (to the point where some of the strongest people are said to be able to "fill any position proficiently"), but you only learn one position on the second floor. Climbing the Tower can take hundreds of years, so there's plenty of time to learn the skills associated with other positions later.

Light Bearer is actually probably the most distinctive class of the basic positions, in practice, if only because all Light Bearers use Lighthouses. Other positions tend to get a bit samey, especially at higher levels. For example, Wave Controllers are defined largely as controllers of Shisoo, but Regulars of all positions manipulate Shinsoo to some extent. The defining trait of a Spear Bearer is being good at ranged attacks (not necessarily using literal spears), but Wave Controllers shoot Shinsoo blasts, as does basically everyone else at high levels. Fishermen theoretically fight with a fishing rod and a Needle (thin sword), but we don't actually see them use fishing rods that often; mostly they're close-range fighters who fight by enhancing their own bodies with Shinsoo, but almost all strong Regulars enhance their bodies with Shinsoo to some extent. Scouts are the recon position, and some of them rarely engage in actual combat, but others are so-called "Battle Valuing Scouts" who fight at close range alongside their Fisherman teammates.