Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
BISOROMI BEAR

ANDORTHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Ship Leesoo

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Koon the Goon

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
This show might be as good as Advance of the Giants. And it has characters that are interesting like Gatz and Gurrifisu are.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Koon was always one of the weirder ones because he's named like a lot of characters after a footballers kun aguero

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Jose posted:

Koon was always one of the weirder ones because he's named like a lot of characters after a footballers kun aguero

Huh, I learn something new every day!

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

The author of the webtoon has said that the Khun family light blue hair is a reference to the colors of the Argentinian flag.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I like that Baam isn't an idiot and totally gets that is Rachel.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I actually didn't like this week's episode compared to the webcomic. For one, they cut out Shibisu's "heroic" "sacrifice" for Anak, embarrassing himself and everybody around him. Although, to their credit, I did like the added scene of Rak and Akryung competing in chocolate eating.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah.

There have been a couple episodes I felt rushed through the content too fast, and I almost never think that about adaptations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Gologle posted:

I actually didn't like this week's episode compared to the webcomic. For one, they cut out Shibisu's "heroic" "sacrifice" for Anak, embarrassing himself and everybody around him. Although, to their credit, I did like the added scene of Rak and Akryung competing in chocolate eating.

I think they did Khun's part excellently, which is really what this half of the test is all about.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

He betrayed his teammates and got them to thank him for his efforts.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

He betrayed some folks. He helped the teammates he chose. It kind of harkens back to the Battle Royale. The administrators tell you "This is how you're supposed to play the game." and Khun bucks it and chooses the best option for himself longterm.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The character designs on this show are sweet, and the music is really good as well.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It took me till this episode to realize that AndrossEndorsi has an actual physical horn. I thought it was some Korean idiom I wasn't getting. Then I notice thats not a part in her hair.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

galagazombie posted:

It took me till this episode to realize that AndrossEndorsi has an actual physical horn. I thought it was some Korean idiom I wasn't getting. Then I notice thats not a part in her hair.

You have no idea how long it took a lot of us to figure that out in the webcomic.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Endorsi's horn and Han Sung Yu's gender were the greatest mysteries of ToG. Forget all this stuff about irregulars or whatever.

I do really like the character design choice. It's subtle and made to kind of work into a chic hairstyle so it's less noticeable. Definitely something a very appearance conscious princess would do.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
More like Tower of Betrayal.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I hope Rachel is okay :ohdear:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
And that's why Endorsi is extremely good.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
poo poo got real serious real fuckin quick

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

TowerofOil posted:

poo poo got real serious real fuckin quick

Princess of Jahad ain't nuthin to gently caress wit

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Endorsi is kind of like the girl counterpart to Khun. Tricky, very strong, very ruthless, and thinks Baam is cute.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hoh got confused by all the betrayals and betrayed himself.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Im confused as to why he hates Bam? Just because he'd get edged out of this test?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Kild posted:

Im confused as to why he hates Bam? Just because he'd get edged out of this test?

He was very clearly shown building up resentment as Baam quickly learned the wave controller skills and he was falling further and further behind. Despite Baam being a clueless doofus who didn't know the first thing about anything. Lauroe obviously being a shoe in meant Hoh's entire climb was doomed if he couldn't devise a way to get Baam out. So someone left a bit of info there -- if Rachel was dealt with, Baam would drop out, leaving Hoh an opening to progress. Though even that seems unlikely, it was just pure resentment and self loathing (creepy goth girl that Khun brought along also seemed to be beyond Hoh's skills).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kild posted:

They're both wave controllers, and thus in direct competition to advance, and he realizes that Bam is an insane natural talent and that he'll never be able to keep up. Plus he kind of has a whole complex about power going on given his background.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Haven't watched the episode yet, but in the webtoon it is clearer. Bam compliment's Hoh for being able to do the light trick, someone mentions talent, and Lauroe scoffs then asks Bam to hold out his hand and imagine the world or something. At which point Bam immediately makes a bang/the light. Hoh is stunned. Lauroe says that is talent. Also Lauroe teaches Bam some stuff and Hoh is surprised at him helping a rival, but Lauroe points out that he won't fail. This is more or less when Hoh starts having resentment toward Bam.

As they train Hoh kind of rushes to try and improve and fails because of it, while Bam just keeps getting better and better.

And yeah Hoh's background makes him want power and think that Bam doesn't deserve the talent/power he has.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Real cool of Crunchyroll to post a video on youtube with Hoh holding a knife to Rachel's neck in the thumbnail like, an hour after the episode aired :colbert:

The real mystery of the episode is what happened to silent man/giant red oni. He/it clearly reacted to Rachel being stabbed and then just disappeared, but the test director/Lero didn't seem fazed so presumably there's something going on there that was a polite fiction.

My guess would be that he/it was a familiar/summon/other of Rachel's that was meant to keep her safe, hence why she passed the massive murder mosh pit in her first test despite so far showing no aptitude for combat.

That does open a question as to whether someone else in giant red oni's class just gets to pass now though, since it's ceased to exist. What class was it?

Endorsi is really the character that came out of last place to win my love. She's like Khun in that she's playing the Tower way better then most other contestants, but her princess-schtick gives her a bit more charisma. I'm glad she and Khun are going to be recurring characters because they seem like they'll play well off each other.

While I normally abhor internal monologues in anime I feel like they could have played up Bang mastering that technique a bit more? Apparently from spoilers I saw inadvertently it takes Rankers years to grasp that technique which seems like a pretty big eyebrow raiser.

Pretty good episode overall, honestly.

I'm glad next episode will be moving on to the next floor/whatever because I'm a little tired of angry red napoleon complex and coffee drinking serene guy.

Lero can stay though.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I kept expecting the character who lost her eye against Bam to do something after the episode cut to her lurking in the shadows a couple of times but I guess not.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Let us not forget the most important moment of the episode.

the first time Anaak genuilly smiled in the tower.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I'm kinda sad about the parts they edited or cut out to make the episode fit in timewise.

However NEXT EPISODE we get to see the truest glory of our glorious alligator leader.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

I kept expecting the character who lost her eye against Bam to do something after the episode cut to her lurking in the shadows a couple of times but I guess not.

i mean if i had to guess she was the one who gave the note to the horn person. cant think of anyone else whod have real motivation to get rid of bam from the tower besides the bunny person from episode 1 maybe.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I assumed Khun gave the note until the reveal that he set up A's test to help Bam out. So it's probably one of the testers after that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

My guess is still Khun, as some kind of bizarre underhanded gimmick to get Bam to forget about her and climb the tower with his real allies instead.

Can't trust that shifty little bastard...

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

AtomikKrab posted:

I'm kinda sad about the parts they edited or cut out to make the episode fit in timewise.

However NEXT EPISODE we get to see the truest glory of our glorious alligator leader.

Likewise.
I think until now the anime did a good job of balancing things cut and added, while keeping the overall feeling. I actually think the resolution in the previous episode was delivered better than in the webtoon, although a couple of lines cut were great.
But this episode it really feels something is missing, mainly during the hoh-bam-quant staredown.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Probably worth pointing out now that shinsu is something on all floors that has greater pressure the higher you go but also something inside everyone that can run out since I'm not sure it ever gets properly explained

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The pile of chocolate bars on Hoh's grave :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen