Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rachel is a bad mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Is there some kind of time fuckery going on re: Bam and Rachel. She left a little before or at the same time as him but arrived at the tests later, and she doesn't seem to have aged a day since she left but Bam looks like he was a lot younger in those flashbacks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i don't know if/when it will ever be stated but people who are good at using shinsu stop aging so a lot of rankers have lived for thousands of years but not changed appearance much

i think that level of shinsu ability is like being picked as a regular

i don't think this is a spoiler but i misread the post above me

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Bam looks the same as he does now during the scene where Rachel leaves (where Bam is on top of her while her body and the floor beneath them is glowing).

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Is there some kind of time fuckery going on re: Bam and Rachel. She left a little before or at the same time as him but arrived at the tests later, and she doesn't seem to have aged a day since she left but Bam looks like he was a lot younger in those flashbacks.

I'm just an anime watcher but it seems like there was... some amount of time dilation/delay going on with the whole thing? Certainly the way Rachel talks about him seems like "I've not seen him for 4 months" style thing.

I'm not sure where Rachel would have been before reaching this floor though. Maybe there's a pre-deathgame bootcamp outside of the Tower or something that regulars go through?

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Kild posted:

Rachel is a bad mom

An Older sister with a dorky little brother that won't leave her alone.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Rachel's not a regular though. She's an irregular that opened the door to the Tower herself, or more likely tricked the door by using Baam as a key to unlock it and then get in as he didn't know anything about how the Tower works.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

nimby posted:

Rachel's not a regular though. She's an irregular that opened the door to the Tower herself, or more likely tricked the door by using Baam as a key to unlock it and then get in as he didn't know anything about how the Tower works.

This part still feels weird to me though because like

The revelation that Baam was an irregular had everyone going "whaaa Baam is an irregular??? :o" and no one really paid attention to Rachel or the fact that she must implicitly be an irregular.

She doesn't get to see the administrator, and the Jahad Enforcement Unit guy doesn't even send Bull after "them", just after "him" (i.e. Bam). I can't tell if they're all just giving her the benefit of the doubt or if she did something abnormally Regular in entering (somehow??)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm guessing there's no easy way to tell, Bam was targeted because he just came right out and said it

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Arianya posted:

This part still feels weird to me though because like

The revelation that Baam was an irregular had everyone going "whaaa Baam is an irregular??? :o" and no one really paid attention to Rachel or the fact that she must implicitly be an irregular.

She doesn't get to see the administrator, and the Jahad Enforcement Unit guy doesn't even send Bull after "them", just after "him" (i.e. Bam). I can't tell if they're all just giving her the benefit of the doubt or if she did something abnormally Regular in entering (somehow??)

The Director smiles when Bam is pushed off so Rachel could be working with them. It might be that Rachel is following the rules of the Tower and Bam is not too. Bam is trying to make a super friends group to ascend the tower and Rachel is conforming with the cut throat kill or be killed everyone else in the tower sees as normal.

We don't even know what Rachel's power is at this point. I'd assume she is connected to that big spear dude she was with but Rachel has done a good job of keeping a very low profile.

It's funny before the last episode I thought she was most one dimensional, boring character on the show.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

axelord posted:

The Director smiles when Bam is pushed off so Rachel could be working with them. It might be that Rachel is following the rules of the Tower and Bam is not too. Bam is trying to make a super friends group to ascend the tower and Rachel is conforming with the cut throat kill or be killed everyone else in the tower sees as normal.

We don't even know what Rachel's power is at this point. I'd assume she is connected to that big spear dude she was with but Rachel has done a good job of keeping a very low profile.

It's funny before the last episode I thought she was most one dimensional, boring character on the show.

I forget what Rachel's class is, I don't want to look it up because I'm sure the wiki would spoil other stuff about her. But I believe she was said to be top of her class for this floor. so whatever she is she's supremely competent at it. Which, if what we were told about irregulars is true, would seem to be consistent between her and Baam

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I forget what Rachel's class is, I don't want to look it up because I'm sure the wiki would spoil other stuff about her. But I believe she was said to be top of her class for this floor. so whatever she is she's supremely competent at it. Which, if what we were told about irregulars is true, would seem to be consistent between her and Baam

She was assigned the position of Light Bearer and she was most definitely not top of the class for the position, Khun was.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

She's the same class as Kun. I think she was given points for the team she gathered in the elimination round. She's has no visible powers but the big spear dude and princess joined her. They were the most powerful people of her group. Even in the Crown game she was the one leading in her group.

I wonder if the spear dude is like an avatar Rachel creates or something. He seemed to know when Rachel was in trouble and disappeared when she got hurt. We do see her blast a hole in the ceiling to reach Bam but aren't showed how she did it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think Rachel's main power is summoning that guy. I don't think there's ever been much suggestion that he had agency of his own.

My impression is that 1) she has some reason she wants to climb the tower at all costs and 2) Bam would get in the way somehow (maybe because as an irregular he'd end up powerful enough to present a threat at a later stage). I think she did encourage Bam to drop out earlier which would've been a way to avoid killing him.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think it was around this point the author mentioned Rachel was his favorite character.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I think Rachel's main power is summoning that guy. I don't think there's ever been much suggestion that he had agency of his own.

My impression is that 1) she has some reason she wants to climb the tower at all costs and 2) Bam would get in the way somehow (maybe because as an irregular he'd end up powerful enough to present a threat at a later stage). I think she did encourage Bam to drop out earlier which would've been a way to avoid killing him.

Could be some 4d chess thing. Pushing Bam has got to be the least effective way to kill him. She could have just stabbed him through the heart or something. His guard was totally down around her. Instead she pushes him into the magic water Bam has been shown not to bother him throughout the show.

Maybe she figured whoever she is working with wouldn't need her after Bam is dead? I don't know. I'm really hoping Bam lets her go after this but I don't have high hopes.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

axelord posted:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Ya assumedly she faked being unable to climb to have Bam drop out? So she can try again later with the directors help or something? Tho where would Bam have went if he did decide to drop out because Rachel can't climb? His previous home was a cave he presumably can't travel back to nor would he want to. He also would presumably just stay wherever Rachel is too so it'd be hard to ditch him even at that point as well.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Kild posted:

Ya assumedly she faked being unable to climb to have Bam drop out? So she can try again later with the directors help or something?

Hoh attacking Rachel could've been all part of the plan. The fishing test puts Rachel alone with Bam away from all his friends. Rachel could've been working with the Director for quite awhile.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

axelord posted:

Could be some 4d chess thing. Pushing Bam has got to be the least effective way to kill him. She could have just stabbed him through the heart or something. His guard was totally down around her. Instead she pushes him into the magic water Bam has been shown not to bother him throughout the show.

Maybe she figured whoever she is working with wouldn't need her after Bam is dead? I don't know. I'm really hoping Bam lets her go after this but I don't have high hopes.
If Bam were stabbed everyone would be suspicious of her going forwards though. In this scenario she can just claim that Bam sacrificed himself to protect her from The Bull and no-one has any real reason to doubt that.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Thinking on it more, given how the Director talked about "not being allowed to interfere" because it was the Administrator's test and the interest the Administrator has shown in Bam both times, I'm betting the plans of Director/Rachel/whoever are going to be upset by the Administrator putting down its foot and saying that they all hosed with it's test.

The Administrator seems to be Actually In Charge on this floor and just delegates to Jahad's staff, so it seems reasonable it would flip out about the fuckery that has gone on in this test.

The impression I get is that Irregulars are painted as dangerous by Jahad but to Hedon/Administrators/The Tower Irregulars are just normal or even desirable. It's noticeable that Rankers are ok to climb the tower but Irregulars are "dangerous" so I'm guessing theres a difference in "reward" if they hit the top, where Irregulars get an actual capital w Wish whereas Rankers just get something from Jahad or the like.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Am I missing something? From the dialogue between the director and ren, and the hallway scene, I thought the implication was that the director IS the administrator.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Skeep posted:

Am I missing something? From the dialogue between the director and ren, and the hallway scene, I thought the implication was that the director IS the administrator.

Yeah. The Director is someone who runs the floor under the authority of Jahad, who is king of the Tower. The Administrator is the giant fish that Baam spoke to, who is allowing the current system to exist. It retains the right to administer its own tests, the results of which supercede anything the Director does, but only to Irregulars.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Something you will find in subsequent anime seasons, or if you start reading the manwha, is that ToG's lore, world building, and terminologies will start to feel at times quite a bit obtuse and confusing. Some of that is simply due to the various translations that have been bouncing around over the years with some terms becoming entrenched even as they probably should not have been, and some of that it also just the classic barrier of there being some Korean terms and words that don't work quite as well in English or at least their best equivalents wind up being synonymous with other terms.

We have four basic levels for every floor, with obviously some exceptions:

Test Admins: Leroro, Quant, Ren, Etc. These are Rankers who run the tests directly and interact with the Regulars.
Test Directors: Yu Hansung, the boss of the previous set. They decide on what tests are run.
Floor Rulers: Evankhell, who we have not met yet. The actual rulers of a given floor who give authority to the Directors to run the tests.
Floor Administrators or Floor Guardians: Gigantic beasts and monsters who provide the shinsu of their given floor. They also have authority to provide tests that accomplish the roles of all those in the previous sets but, curiously, only to Irregulars.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It doesn't help that a bit of information isn't in the actual webtoon, but in the author's blog. It's how we know about what ranks certain people hold in the Tower and other things.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Are we still on the first floor, because Yuri gave that trinket to Baam for the 77th floor or something. That's going to be about... 2100 AD when that season comes out?

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 20, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They are on the second floor, the "Floor of Test". The first floor was Headon's which we saw in episode 1 and is a place that Regulars never go to under normal circumstances.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

They are on the second floor, the "Floor of Test". The first floor was Headon's which we saw in episode 1 and is a place that Regulars never go to under normal circumstances.

Ah, so only 2060 or so before we see Yuri again.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Long story short, they overloaded the term "Administrator", which makes it very confusing at first.

The rule are:

You have to take a test before you can go to a new floor.

Irregulars can opt for a test from the floor's resident demigod, whose only usual public role is making contracts with anyone who wants be able to manipulate the shinsu on their floor.

Regulars (and irregulars) take a test sanctioned by the bureaucracy of people who have already climbed the tower. It's delegation the whole way down. Evankhell could probably do the whole thing herself if she wanted to, but as Yu Hansung points out, there's political reasons the tests are run the way they are.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 20, 2020

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The main take-away message that I'm getting is that Irregulars don't have to pay any fealty to the King, everyone else including His Princesses enter on His Sufferance, which explains the hostility.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

There's always a girl. There's always a man. There's always a lighthouse.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 21, 2020

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I suppose the last question (which won't have a non-spoiler answer yet) is whether Evankhell is just a lackey of Jahad who got appointed the floor or if its more complex like whoever first cleared a floor becomes it's "Ruler".

The latter would imply that not everyone will be like the Latte-Loving Director of Tests and that there will be floors covertly or overtly hostile to Jahad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

part of the problem with this being an anime is an absolute massive amount of information about the world and other people in it came from the blog posts that the anime doesn't cover. they're not strictly necessary at all but its not like you could even read the wiki that has this info since it'll have a huge amount of spoilers too. I've written a few posts answering someones question only to realise idk if it was something from a blog post which you'd never learn otherwise or an actual spoiler and deleted it

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Jose posted:

part of the problem with this being an anime is an absolute massive amount of information about the world and other people in it came from the blog posts that the anime doesn't cover. they're not strictly necessary at all but its not like you could even read the wiki that has this info since it'll have a huge amount of spoilers too. I've written a few posts answering someones question only to realise idk if it was something from a blog post which you'd never learn otherwise or an actual spoiler and deleted it

As a comic reader, should I be reading blog posts too?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If you're fully up to date, including the fast pass chapters that are about to be free due to a hiatus just spend as much time on the wiki as you like and check the tog Reddit for new blog posts once it's being released.

Again none of this is necessary but it's info about the world he's told people about before the webtoon gets there in particular so when bam meets certain characters you should know who they are

for anime only watchers it'd take like 5+ seasons for this to truly matter but the guy who makes ToG is only slightly better than togashi of HxH fame when it comes to injuring himself requiring rest. his injuries frequently come from not resting at all and quitting the hiatus though

Jose fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 21, 2020

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
It's also important to note that some of his blogposts have since been retconned by the comic, presumably because he changed his mind about things as time went on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In this story, anyone can be a hero. All they might need is a little push.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Whew, Rachel is an even bigger bitch than I had thought.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
welp there goes my theory baam was the villain all along.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Arianya posted:

That doesn't really make sense either though since the unifying factor of the "team" was Khun/Anaak/etc and their love of Bam. Without him, quite possible that for example Anaak and the other Jahaad Princess just gently caress off to eat lunch.

Like yeah, if they stay together maybe they'll pity take Rachel to start with but her lie here is that she's a paraplegic dead weight, so either she has to be Miraculously Healed or she's going to be first on the chopping block because no one in the team feels the way Bam did about her and so no one has any real motivation to carry her (both metaphorically and literally).

Well this seems highly relevant. I can't imagine Khun sticks with her for any amount of time.

It was nice to see more Hedon but this episode did feel a bit dry in that it's 90% clips of previous episodes.

What's the point to start at if I wanted to pick up the webtoon from here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Rachel is like a literal cuckoo bird.

They lay their eggs in the nests of other birds, letting them raise them and spend all the energy required rearing their young.
She took over the relationships of Baam like a parasite.
Cuckoo's even roll the other eggs out of the nest to ensure the bird devotes all their time to the cuckoo's young, just like her and Baam.