Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

M_Gargantua posted:

I don't understand the fisherman thing, I'm guessing theres a reason for it rather than it just being some sort of mistranslated slang for a melee tank

They're called fishermen because they use a weapon/tool that works by manipulating something at the end of a string. So basically the answer is it's actually less metaphorical than you were thinking.

e: Also it's less tank than "melee / midrange DPS." There isn't really a tank role among the five described.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Specifically "Bam" means both "night" and "chestnut" but I think they skipped over the one brief scene where the double entendre matters.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tower of God is meticulous about explaining and justifying why characters behave the way they do, to the point where it's arguably the series' single greatest strength. It adds a lot of depth to what would otherwise be pretty well-worn tropes (like our amnesiac protagonist).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah.

There have been a couple episodes I felt rushed through the content too fast, and I almost never think that about adaptations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kild posted:

Im confused as to why he hates Bam? Just because he'd get edged out of this test?

They're both wave controllers, and thus in direct competition to advance, and he realizes that Bam is an insane natural talent and that he'll never be able to keep up. Plus he kind of has a whole complex about power going on given his background.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just wish Rachel had some agency rather than just being someone who things happen to.

I guess it's now safe to respond to this post to say: don't worry, Tower of God has you covered. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

limeicebreakers posted:

Think about it this way. You're nice to this random guy you meet, and he calls you his stars or his light or whatever. You brush him off because, hey, he looks like he's been stuck in this cave for a while. Besides, you have a tower to climb - once you enter it, you'll never see him again, anyways.

But then, he chases after you, constantly telling people that he entered the tower for you, etc. You try to distance yourself from him, hoping he'll get the hint, but he doesn't. He goes and makes friends with every single regular, so you isolate yourself. He's too naive and nice for you to tell off, and if you do you bet your rear end his new friends won't take it kindly.

So you shove him off a platform after he saves your rear end for the millionth time. :allears:

In fairness, Rachel didn't just meet Bam -- she basically raised and socialized him. (This is a little clearer in the comics where early on he talks about e.g. her literally teaching him language and so on.)