Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
If there is a season 2, I hope they get a little more budget for the fight scenes. These episodes were pretty good but it's definitely not the crazy good animated fight scenes some series get. Still, I'm pretty happy with how the crown game went. I hope anime only folks are enjoying it as much as I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Arianya posted:

I tried reading the webtoon but being spoiled by the animation and then going to that art is real rough. Maybe this season of anime will end far enough in the future that I'll be able to pick up at that point?

Also, if Khun's bag makes chocolate copies, and the crown copies dissapear, does that mean Rak always wants more chocolate because it keeps disappearing from his tummy?

I think it would be the case even if they didn't disappear.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Arianya posted:

Endorsi is cool but it's kinda hard to know who in the cast it's okay to root for with how the teams have been shaken up.

Seems pretty likely horny guy is a smile on the outside/mad on the inside who wants to find out how Bam managed to turn himself into Shinsu.

Anaak's backstory is interesting but I can't really root for her since her whole role so far has been being kinda battlecrazy and bitchy.

What class is Khun? He seems like a Scout-y type but we already have our Scout in Mr Tracksuit so I figure he must be a Lightbearer, which seemed like the most interesting class.

I look forward to Bam shooting someone with Shinsu next week and accidentally murdering them because he's got supershinsu or whatever

Khun was in the Light Bearer class. Thus the big floating computer rooms.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there anyone in multiple classes? There seems to be a lot of overlap between scout and light bearer.

Scout and Light Bearer, despite both involving gathering intel, are exact opposites in their battlefield positions. Scout is the most forward, risk taking role (out past the front lines, in enemy lines) whereas the Light Bearer sits back and surveys, examines, and supports their team from their own back lines.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is the ranker on Bam's team side? I'm confused as to why he's there trying to capture the other team's "it" by himself?

Is it just taking place in two rounds, with half of the people who haven't passed against the ranker each round? That's what it seems like from how it was portrayed, but if that's so there's no reason both teams can't pass.
They are scoring it. Even if both teams beat the ranked that would just mean individual ratings would break the tie.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Arianya posted:

Yeah I want to give Rachel the benefit of the doubt but she's super duper not very appealing at the moment.

Feed Bam a bunch of lines about friendship and being there for others and then peaces out to go to the Tower.

When Bam does the unthinkable and follows her into the murderdeathtower decides she needs to :sever: because friendship makes you weak.

Like even if Bam does turn out to be some unholy monstrosity that she was trying to keep under control after he lost his memory, she's just kinda a jerk about it to be honest.

Endorsi is kinda growing on me which is pretty impressive given I normally hate "bratty princess" archetypes. She's straddling that line between amusing and annoying impressively.

King of Jahad sounds like he's kind of an rear end in a top hat but I guess we'll wait to see since he'll undoubtedly be central to this story as The Only Person To Clear.

I presume they skipped over it or I've forgotten but the whole dealio is that they're all getting points for classes/clearing tests/etc but they spend points every time they need food or medical care or whatever? I guess that makes a bit more sense as to "injuries are your own responsibility", though it seems real rough for someone like the Fishermen who you would think would get injured in the course of training more often then say, a Lightbearer.

Yeah but to pass you're only competing against other Fishermen. So you're in the same situations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Forgall posted:

It's a bit weird that the tests have gotten considerably less deadly since the first one where they straight up murdered 200 people.

Once you culled everyone you don't have to do much more culling. At this point the idea is that everyone who survived those opening tests are worth spending the time on training and evaluating before sending them up.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Kung Food posted:

Seems like if you just wanted to reduce the numbers, the pass the water wall test would have been just fine. Probably better as you don't risk someone qualified getting killed.

I guess that goes to my main complaint so far. The tests seem kinda capricious and are based on thickness of plot armor more than anything.

The murder test was two part. Can you survive and can you form a team?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

BISOROMI BEAR

ANDORTHY

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Gologle posted:

I actually didn't like this week's episode compared to the webcomic. For one, they cut out Shibisu's "heroic" "sacrifice" for Anak, embarrassing himself and everybody around him. Although, to their credit, I did like the added scene of Rak and Akryung competing in chocolate eating.

I think they did Khun's part excellently, which is really what this half of the test is all about.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

He betrayed some folks. He helped the teammates he chose. It kind of harkens back to the Battle Royale. The administrators tell you "This is how you're supposed to play the game." and Khun bucks it and chooses the best option for himself longterm.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Endorsi's horn and Han Sung Yu's gender were the greatest mysteries of ToG. Forget all this stuff about irregulars or whatever.

I do really like the character design choice. It's subtle and made to kind of work into a chic hairstyle so it's less noticeable. Definitely something a very appearance conscious princess would do.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Endorsi is kind of like the girl counterpart to Khun. Tricky, very strong, very ruthless, and thinks Baam is cute.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Kild posted:

Im confused as to why he hates Bam? Just because he'd get edged out of this test?

He was very clearly shown building up resentment as Baam quickly learned the wave controller skills and he was falling further and further behind. Despite Baam being a clueless doofus who didn't know the first thing about anything. Lauroe obviously being a shoe in meant Hoh's entire climb was doomed if he couldn't devise a way to get Baam out. So someone left a bit of info there -- if Rachel was dealt with, Baam would drop out, leaving Hoh an opening to progress. Though even that seems unlikely, it was just pure resentment and self loathing (creepy goth girl that Khun brought along also seemed to be beyond Hoh's skills).

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Sindai posted:

Aren't the original floor owner monsters called Guardians in the comic translation? It's easy to get confused referring to them as Administrators when the testing rankers are called administrators. Weird choice.

Not a spoiler, but this is a translation confusion that goes back to western viewers from the very beginning. It's apparently a lot more clear in Korean.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jose posted:

So uh this might be me misremembering stuff from the webtoon but I thought everyone fell for khuns acting and that was the whole point. Bam being an irregular got everyone to nope out before they saw Khun being a coward.

Yes, they reversed this. No one had to be tricked, everyone likes Bam regardless of his status.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Agreed. The only thing I felt like was a misstep was Khun sussing out Hoh's letter. That was conveyed confusingly.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Well she passed the tests second only to Khun, so it's not like she sucks or anything. But yeah she's kind of caught in Baam's protagonist orbit.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

What makes irregulars so dangerous? Other than Bam being unusually competent with his shinsu use, he hasn't seemed unusually dangerous.

We just saw him pick up a Ranker's technique instantly after only seeing it used once. Instant learning of any technique seems quite powerful.

Other people have said some stuff about irregulars already, but they're clearly unique just by the name and that status comes with certain perks. Any more detail would be spoiling though.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 10, 2020

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

I don't remember the bull being that gently caress HUGE.

He was. He grew in the intensified shinsoo for the same reason Baam got stronger/glowy hands.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

It's also important to note that some of his blogposts have since been retconned by the comic, presumably because he changed his mind about things as time went on.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

He's the administrator that travels anywhere in the tower to scoop up regulars. I'm sure he could find her.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

so if I'm understanding this right Rachel's bodyguard was essentially an extra life for her? which is why he vanished when she got shanked?

I will say, this is unique to the anime. That does seem to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

A bit spoilery but that also uh... would cause problems way down the road.

It is something that's pretty easy to write around tbh. Even if the show is popular enough to get that far that's also years and years away.