Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

What is Tower of God?

Tower of God, Korean name 신의 탑, is an anime adaptation of a webtoon of the same name written by S.I.U (Slave In Utero). It follows the journey of Baam Yoru Bam as he climbs the titular tower in pursuit of Rachel, a cool girl who was nice to him when no one was because he was trapped in an underground cave and presumably not a lot of people could actually reach him down there.

This anime is one of the Crunchyroll Originals and is created in collaboration with Webtoon. It airs every Wednesday.

MyAnimeList posted:

There is a tower that summons chosen people called "Regulars" with the promise of granting their deepest desires. Whether it be wealth, fame, authority, or something that surpasses them all—everything awaits those who reach the top.

Twenty-Fifth Bam is a boy who had only known a dark cave, a dirty cloth, and an unreachable light his entire life. So when a girl named Rachel came to him through the light, his entire world changed. Becoming close friends with Rachel, he learned various things about the outside world from her. But when Rachel says she must leave him to climb the Tower, his world shatters around him. Vowing to follow after her no matter what it takes, he sets his sight on the tower, and a miracle occurs.

Thus begins the journey of Bam, a young boy who was not chosen by the Tower but opened its gates by himself. They call his kind "Irregulars"—beings that have shaken the very foundation of the Tower each time they set foot inside it.

Why should I watch it?

To reiterate an overused comparison: if you like the first arc of Hunter x Hunter, Tower of God scratches the same itch with a fun supporting cast, propensity for puzzles, and in-depth worldbuilding. While I can't go too much into ToG's strengths without saying spoilers, it's the sort of epic which builds on itself. The webtoon has been going on strong since 2010, and only now has it gotten some sort of animated adaption - in fact, it's the first webtoon to be adapted into an anime. You can watch the first few episodes for the novelty.

Also listen to the soundtrack, done by the fantastic Kevin Penkin (composer of Shield Hero and Made In Abyss).

Cool! I can't watch anime for whatever reason, though. Is there a way I can read it?

The English Webtoon site has translations more or less up to the most current chapter released on Korean Webtoon. That link goes to the very first chapter, as the preview images for the most recent chapters can contain spoilers. Explore at your own risk.

What's the spoiler policy for this thread?

No spoilers, period. No nudge nudge wink wink, no implying things, no confirming or denying theories with knowledge anime viewers don't have yet. If you want to talk about how that One Poster predicted the entire webcomic or whatever do that in the ToG manhwa thread. I would be more lenient on this except people have already toed the line in the general spring season anime thread. Especially that one topic. You all know the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Been rereading the webtoon lately and the anime censors a lot of blood/gore.

This guy's arm is cut off entirely in the webtoon, for example.

limeicebreakers fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 6, 2020

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Koon the Goon

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Jose posted:

Koon was always one of the weirder ones because he's named like a lot of characters after a footballers kun aguero

Huh, I learn something new every day!

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

I know I haven't been in this thread much but I'm going to tap the sign to remind y'all.

limeicebreakers posted:

What's the spoiler policy for this thread?

No spoilers, period.

I think what Shugojin said and most of what AtomikKrab said was already implied/said in the anime, no need to delete anything. But be careful.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Do you think Rachel exhibited #girlpower this episode?

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Think about it this way. You're nice to this random guy you meet, and he calls you his stars or his light or whatever. You brush him off because, hey, he looks like he's been stuck in this cave for a while. Besides, you have a tower to climb - once you enter it, you'll never see him again, anyways.

But then, he chases after you, constantly telling people that he entered the tower for you, etc. You try to distance yourself from him, hoping he'll get the hint, but he doesn't. He goes and makes friends with every single regular, so you isolate yourself. He's too naive and nice for you to tell off, and if you do you bet your rear end his new friends won't take it kindly.

So you shove him off a platform after he saves your rear end for the millionth time. :allears:

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Iretep posted:

Has any of the saving her rear end involved Baam not being the cause of the need to be saved in the first place?

Fair point, the Bull attacking them was also sort of on Bam. Re: Crown Game, she was attacked for protecting Bam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

It sure does sound like spoilers up in here!

I ask that you delete this post, you explicitly mention things not said in the anime.