Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

A whole lot of people are on twitter right now saying they want nothing to do with Biden or Trump.

It's a drat shame that Bernie is a loving coward who won't do what's right and run 3rd party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

is pepsi ok posted:

A whole lot of people are on twitter right now saying they want nothing to do with Biden or Trump.

It's a drat shame that Bernie is a loving coward who won't do what's right and run 3rd party.

vote howie

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Uh....

yes he did? That is exactly what happened. Obama could have escalated, and didn't because he's a spineless piece of poo poo. And the next President filled the seat. This is a matter of public record.

How do you figure that, what with him nominating Garland, who was a widely accepted bipartisan centrist, and then McConnell & Co just laughed in his face?

I mean, yeah, there’s a lot to criticize his administration for, but the Dems didn’t even have a majority.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

this is more-or-less exactly what the political elite want, to be left alone to play their life-destroying games in peace

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Uh....

yes he did? That is exactly what happened. Obama could have escalated, and didn't because he's a spineless piece of poo poo. And the next President filled the seat. This is a matter of public record.

He made a nomination, bitched loudly about it being blocked, and tried to take the case to the people. It remained an issue through the election. The voters did not care.

If you are trying to argue that he somehow could have gotten McConnell to schedule a vote through trying harder or through the power of unicorns and wishful thinking, then all I can do is assert that no, he could not. Obama literally lacked the power to force a confirmation vote.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Scientist Al Gore posted:

Umm, no?

I think it obvious there was at a minimum a specific conflict between both them that went well beyond what's appropriate for 90s White Collar Office culture. It might have not been rape but possibly sexual assault or sexual harassment.

The way she was pushed out is also suspicious but other posters have already gotten into details about that.

So you believe she was sexually assaulted but do not believe anything should be done about it and her abuser should face no consequences because her motives exposing him might be unpure?

So you don't really care that she was sexually assaulted then? Or don't care enough to think it should be acted on?

Let me tell you as a survivor myself, this way of thinking doesn't help anyone but the abusers and incredibly morally corrupt people that want to see past their crimes to get to 'the real truth'. It actually just hurts the victims and that's why it's no different than just going "Well she's a lying whore."

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 23, 2020

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

generic one posted:

How do you figure that, what with him nominating Garland, who was a widely accepted bipartisan centrist, and then McConnell & Co just laughed in his face?

I mean, yeah, there’s a lot to criticize his administration for, but the Dems didn’t even have a majority.

Maybe it was time to use his unprecedented surveillance powers to make, saaay... Lindsay Graham decide it’s time to stand up for bipartisanship.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rigel posted:

He made a nomination, bitched loudly about it being blocked, and tried to take the case to the people. It remained an issue through the election. The voters did not care.

it wasn't an election issue because they were running on "Hillary's win is guaranteed"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The best case scenario for the Democrats is Biden wins and Trump is gone meaning there is literally no national Trump emergency a day after the inauguration. They will get their neo con dreams enacted but I would hate to be campaigning on austerity while the super rich keep their tax cuts with President Biden telling everyone he doesn't want us to vote for his party too hard and remove his friends across the aisle from office.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So you believe she was sexually assaulted but do not believe anything should be done about it and her abuser should face no consequences because her motives exposing him might be unpure?

She may have been raped, sexually assaulted or sexually harassed. It'd also imagine the way she was pushed out of her job may be been illegal if not breaking internal policy. As far as doing anything about it, those people should be arrested, charge and if found guilty end up in jail.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Umm, no?

I think it obvious there was at a minimum a specific conflict between both them that went well beyond what's appropriate for 90s White Collar Office culture. It might have not been rape but possibly sexual assault or sexual harassment.

The way she was pushed out is also suspicious but other posters have already gotten into details about that.

I don't think you understood what I was saying with the schrodinger's cat reference.

I was speculating that maybe he was trying to make the argument that if one were to believe there's a chance she was lying and a chance she was telling the truth and wasn't 100% sure which, then that makes it not binary. (wrong, its still binary)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Radish posted:

The best case scenario for the Democrats is Biden wins and Trump is gone meaning there is literally no national Trump emergency a day after the inauguration. They will get their neo con dreams enacted but I would hate to be campaigning on austerity while the super rich keep their tax cuts with President Biden telling everyone he doesn't want us to vote for his party too hard and remove his friends across the aisle from office.

Biden will probably be ejected in favor of whoever the VP is

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Rigel posted:

If you are trying to argue that he somehow could have gotten McConnell to schedule a vote through trying harder or through the power of unicorns and wishful thinking, then all I can do is assert that no, he could not. Obama literally lacked the power to force a confirmation vote.
This is non-2020-election chat so I'm cutting the conversation short, here. You want to take this up you can start a discussion in USPOL and I will join it. It suffices to say here that there are things he could have done, which he did not do.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Mellow Seas posted:

Maybe it was time to use his unprecedented surveillance powers to make, saaay... Lindsay Graham decide it’s time to stand up for bipartisanship.

Coulda probably gotten McCain if he got Graham to go along. Two down, two more to go! Collins? Murkowssssbbbfffhahhaha... oh, lord, nah, who are we kidding?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SAG's entire gimmick is never making a definitive statement on anything for fear if it being used against them in the future. Not sure why anyone thinks that's changed.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

This is non-2020-election chat so I'm cutting the conversation short, here. You want to take this up you can start a discussion in USPOL and I will join it. It suffices to say here that there are things he could have done, which he did not do.

Translation: this topic is not going well for me, better stop it now!

Seriously though, yeah, probably better suited for a different thread if we’re gonna play by the rules.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

She may have been raped, sexually assaulted or sexually harassed. It'd also imagine the way she was pushed out of her job may be been illegal if not breaking internal policy. As far as doing anything about it, those people should be arrested, charge and if found guilty end up in jail.

Okay so that first second has literally nothing to do with the second sentence except to give you an out to act suspicious of her for coming out about the sexual assault. To bring it up at all is to bring it up in the context of de-legitimizing her and her claims, which happens literally every single time a victim has the strength to come forward. You're doing what every single piece of poo poo does when these things come out. That's a huge part of what perpetuates rape culture. There is no moral grey zone here, you're just trying to find some disconnected evidence to help you ignore her assault.

So no Mr. Moralist it is pretty much black and white wrt her sexual assault. You believe her or you don't.

You wanna talk about her probably fake, heretofore unreported and completely unconnected crimes that's a whole separate discussion.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

generic one posted:

Translation: this topic is not going well for me, better stop it now!

Seriously though, yeah, probably better suited for a different thread if we’re gonna play by the rules.
No, it's because I already got probated two days ago for answering a question in this thread about the election, but my answer did not refer back to the election. That's why.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay so that first second has literally nothing to do with the second sentence except to give you an out to act suspicious of her for coming out about the sexual assault. To bring it up at all is to bring it up in the context of de-legitimizing her and her claims, which happens literally every single time a victim has the strength to come forward. You're doing what every single piece of poo poo does when these things come out. That's a huge part of what perpetuates rape culture. There is no moral grey zone here, you're just trying to find some disconnected evidence to help you ignore her assault.

So no Mr. Moralist it is pretty much black and white wrt her sexual assault. You believe her or you don't.

You wanna talk about her probably fake, heretofore unreported and completely unconnected crimes that's a whole separate discussion.

I don't know what to say other than I don't know what to believe. :shrug:

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

No, it's because I already got probated two days ago for answering a question in this thread about the election, but my answer did not refer back to the election. That's why.

Fair enough, posted here in USPOL.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah I know that's what I'm saying makes you a piece of poo poo and no better than the people directly calling her a liar, lol.

No seriously, fence sitting bullshit like this is why rape culture is even a thing largely and it's just a reaction that protects and even rewards abusers.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 23, 2020

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

I mean you could take a very simple utilitarian moralism to it and decide what happens if you believe and what happens if you don't. Either this woman gets her life loving ruined for the crime of being a victim or the rich and powerful husk gets to... accumulate more power, I guess? Do the least harm and believe her ffs. It's what the entire #MeToo has been about.

You wont though, because you're just a trolling wafflemaster.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

you not knowing what to believe doesn't mean it isn't black and white that he assaulted her or not.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Trying to turn this into a binary black and white did she or didn't she is ridiculous. The world is so much more complex than that.

Holy loving poo poo, this is amazing.

Voting, a choice with dozens of possibilities, is somehow binary. But reality itself is now subjective. The amount of delusion required to invent Schrodinger's Rape exists only in partisan politics.

Congratulations, Biden followers are identical to chuds. Scratch that, at least red chuds will admit that Trump grabs women by the pussy. Blue chuds will warp the concept of truth itself.

Alternative facts indeed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

As a gay man, this is the only funny "Lindsay Graham in the closet" joke I have ever heard

lol

B B
Dec 1, 2005

As for Flint, that makes no sense. It'll be decades or more to correct the Flint drinking water problem and anyone that understands the relatively simple science behind it. If Obama truly did this holy gently caress that's an enormous mistake.

he did:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cvlcI2TmfdI

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
there's a joke somewhere about Biden raping Reade having a truth table and SAG has clearly filled his out with "don't cares"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lol at calling Flint a "mistake". It's a poor town they hosed over for profits because nobody could stop them. Obama doesn't care about anything but his own personal wealth and reputation and nobody outside of Michael Moore is going to hold him to account for it. He's scum.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011
To wrap this week up, we've had a spirited defense of concentration camps, the total dismissal of sexual assault survivors, the rationalisation of morality itself being an outdated thought pattern and now the liberals have decided to go full on assault against the black electorate, having already outright said that Hispanics don't figure into their vision in any way.

The absolute, singular celerity of this train-wreck is spectacular. There's no-one left to alienate.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Don't sell them short. They're gonna keep pushing the "yellow menace" narrative as soon as they get the OK from Trump. They always follow his lead.

drat, captain, you're right. I missed that one but you're also wrong: They've already run down that path.

Active Quasar fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 23, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Disnesquick posted:

The absolute, singular celerity of this train-wreck is spectacular. There's no-one left to alienate.

Don't sell them short. They're gonna keep pushing the "yellow menace" narrative as soon as they get the OK from Trump. They always follow his lead.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Disnesquick posted:

To wrap this week up, we've had a spirited defense of concentration camps, the total dismissal of sexual assault survivors, the rationalisation of morality itself being an outdated thought pattern and now the liberals have decided to go full on assault against the black electorate, having already outright said that Hispanics don't figure into their vision in any way.

Yeah there is. He's going to find some way to insult never-trump republicans, then he'll truly be hosed.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Yeah there is. He's going to find some way to insult never-trump republicans, then he'll truly be hosed.

drat How's he gonna do it without those 12 votes.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

I was racking my brain trying to figure out what realistically could do it without Biden acting wildly out of character and I just realized he'd just need to fall back to his reflex with any Republican and keep thanking Trump for the great job he's doing.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Gonzo McFee posted:

drat How's he gonna do it without those 12 votes.

It's not about the votes, how's he gonna do it without any of his senior staff?

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

FFS can we go one page without someone smearing a survivor or defending concentration camps?

This really is the worst possible world. The Democrats have completely abandoned any sense of morality, and their loyalists are following suit. Jesus loving Christ. This is hard to watch.
I always felt like that group of liberals was just as gullible as the MAGA folks with the way they’d disingenuously attack Bernie and screech everytime he rightfully called out Biden’s social security record or whined everytime they were getting trolled on twitter for arguing that go fund me insulin was the only path forward to beat Trump. But even I couldn’t have imagined this level of blue MAGA chud that they’ve succumbed to. Like I kinda knew it was possible but you’d probably be called a crackpot if you predicted something like this a year ago.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

As for Flint, that makes no sense. It'll be decades or more to correct the Flint drinking water problem and anyone that understands the relatively simple science behind it. If Obama truly did this holy gently caress that's an enormous mistake.

Shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhbNlvjClOU

Chaser: https://www.michiganradio.org/post/does-flint-have-clean-water-yes-it-s-complicated

Honestly how did you not know about this. You're defending Obama without even knowing fully what he has done.

Also imagine a candidate for President actually caring about the abysmal quality of water and inconsistent access to it in this country.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/4/17/21223565/coronavirus-clean-water-crisis-america

Too bad Biden is the best we can do!

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Mat Cauthon posted:

Also imagine a candidate for President actually caring about the abysmal quality of water and inconsistent access to it in this country.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/4/17/21223565/coronavirus-clean-water-crisis-america

Too bad Biden is the best we can do!

Seems if the people of Flint held a condemnatory view of the Obama administration, Genessee County wouldn't have voted for Biden by a 60-30 margin.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's always "if that's true", even when it's something we've given citations for multiple times.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Pretty cool Biden and the democratic party have killed #metoo and idpol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Araenna posted:

It's always "if that's true", even when it's something we've given citations for multiple times.

It'll always be 'if it's true' until the rapist in question looks people like SAG dead in the eye in person and says they did it. It's all about finding a way to ignore the horrifying nature of the depressingly large number of abusers in society.