Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It'll always be 'if it's true' until the rapist in question looks people like SAG dead in the eye in person and says they did it. It's all about finding a way to ignore the horrifying nature of the depressingly large number of abusers in society.
Well that or if the rapist is a Republican. Obviously they've given up any leverage they might have had to hold them to account, but I imagine they'd still be clucking over the injustice of it all in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It'll always be 'if it's true' until the rapist in question looks people like SAG dead in the eye in person and says they did it. It's all about finding a way to ignore the horrifying nature of the depressingly large number of abusers in society.

"Joe could mean a lot of things when he says 'I did it. It was all me. I've always been a monster.' I just can't assume he is talking about Tara Reade"

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

LinYutang posted:

Seems if the people of Flint held a condemnatory view of the Obama administration, Genessee County wouldn't have voted for Biden by a 60-30 margin.

Did you know that adjacent to Flint is a place called Flint Township? Did you know that Flint Township miraculously avoided having their water system switched to the polluted, corrosive water that initiated the ongoing water crisis? Did you know that you can literally cross a street and go from poisoned, tainted water to completely clean water? I know those things because I went to Flint to do organizing work during the water crisis and wondered why a fancy Trader Joes-esque store was boasting about their water quality while the businesses down the road were relying on bottled water, if they were even serving food at all.

Fun fact - Flint Township is also in Genessee County! Can you guess what a key difference is between Flint Township and Flint?

posted:

The names may be similar, but the communities are plenty different: Flint Township is 77 percent white and about 8 percent of families are impoverished. The City of Flint is nearly 60 percent black and 42 percent of families are poor.

Another difference: Flint Township is on a separate water system and wasn’t affected by the crisis in which lead contaminated water supply of the city, Preston said.

From here: https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/flint-township-tells-world-please-dont-confuse-us-flint

tl;dr: gently caress you and your cavalier attitude about people's lives.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Mr Hootington posted:

Pretty cool Biden and the democratic party have killed #metoo and idpol.

You think that's amazing just wait until Biden loses and the same people who are currently saying #MeToo has gone too far try to resurrect it in some sort of lovely, lib-approved form. "Ok this time believe women, but let's make it clear up front that we only want accusations against the right people."

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Did you know that adjacent to Flint is a place called Flint Township? Did you know that Flint Township miraculously avoided having their water system switched to the polluted, corrosive water that initiated the ongoing water crisis?

Anyone can go to the Gennesee County Clerk page for the full precinct breakdown and see that Biden crushed the competition in the City of Flint. They had the perfect opportunity to reject the legacy of the Obama administration but didn't.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LinYutang posted:

Seems if the people of Flint held a condemnatory view of the Obama administration, Genessee County wouldn't have voted for Biden by a 60-30 margin.

In addition to the point Mat Cauthon made, it's awfully convenient how people are simultaneously a bunch of rubes voting against their best interests (when they support people they don't like), but when people they like win suddenly it's a manifestation of The Will of The People.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

LinYutang posted:

Anyone can go to the Gennesee County Clerk page for the full precinct breakdown and see that Biden crushed the competition in the City of Flint. They had the perfect opportunity to reject the legacy of the Obama administration but didn't.

I guess if they vote for him, he couldn't have screwed them! Because perception mandates reality.

Please, tell me about the Latino voters that were deported by Trump. Tell me that, because they voted for him, it vindicates his deportations.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

LinYutang posted:

The page also tells me that less than 26% of registered voters voted. "Will of the people" indeed.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Ytlaya posted:

it's awfully convenient how people are simultaneously a bunch of rubes voting against their best interests (when they support people they don't like), but when people they like win suddenly it's a manifestation of The Will of The People.

A classic example of this is the Bernie campaign misreading their 2016 success as a groundswell of support for class-based politics, instead of the simple fact that the working class did not like Hillary.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Please, tell me about the Latino voters that were deported by Trump. Tell me that, because they voted for him, it vindicates his deportations.

That would certainly be something to consider, if Trump was winning the Latino vote by 30 point margins.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

LinYutang posted:

A classic example of this is the Bernie campaign misreading their 2016 success as a groundswell of support for class-based politics, instead of the simple fact that the working class did not like Hillary.

That would certainly be something to consider, if Trump was winning the Latino vote by 30 point margins.

Oh, no. You're right. They loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove Joe.

Edit: It is hilarious that you think 74% of voters don't vote because they just love Joe so darn much.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, relitigating Flint seems like an easy Friday night for this thread.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Edit: It is hilarious that you think 74% of voters don't vote because they just love Joe so darn much.

the Radical Left over at CNBC

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Wicked Them Beats posted:

"Ok this time believe women, but let's make it clear up front that we only want accusations against the right people."

I have a policy that when it comes to politicians, I believe accusations that people who identify themselves and stay out of the political fray. This is why I said AOC was fishing for Reade to make a political statement and why I felt it was unfortunate for Reade to bite on the bait and call for Biden to resign from the race.

I still believe her but think “I’m not here to give any endorsements, I’m here to tell you what he did” would have blown up most mindsets that try to find a reason to doubt. Acknowledging that she understands some people are going to hear this and vote for him anyway is a powerful statement.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LinYutang posted:

Lick my rear end lib

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

I have a policy that when it comes to politicians, I believe accusations that people who identify themselves and stay out of the political fray. This is why I said AOC was fishing for Reade to make a political statement and why I felt it was unfortunate for Reade to bite on the bait and call for Biden to resign from the race.

I still believe her but think “I’m not here to give any endorsements, I’m here to tell you what he did” would have blown up most mindsets that try to find a reason to doubt. Acknowledging that she understands some people are going to hear this and vote for him anyway is a powerful statement.

Shocking to imagine that you wouldn't want your rapist to be elevated to office. Obviously the same thing as hitting the campaign trail against Biden.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Tara is still involved in progressive politics. She works defending domestic abuse survivors in court as an expert witness. She has dedicated her LIFE to politics. It is absurd to ask her to abandon it.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The tiny sliver of people not totally dissuaded or outright disenfranchised by their own party mostly love Joe! Wrap it up leftists!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

LinYutang posted:

Lol shut the gently caress up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Look if you get raped you shouldn't demand your rapist lose his power

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

"I only believe the oppressed who have no political motive"

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
It’s really extremely funny when a Joeboi in here just totally offers up their gigantic noggin for endless dunks when they whiff a gotcha like this

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

LinYutang posted:

It's very gross that this post is rooted in the assumption that the people of Flint (a city which is mostly Black) don't have the capacity to vote strategically or the empathy to consider others in their vote, and therefore must be voting solely based on how the Obama administration handled one thing that directly affected them.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, relitigating Flint seems like an easy Friday night for this thread.

Bring it on.

You know that Bourdain quote about Kissinger and Cambodia? That's how I feel about Governor Snyder and the Flint emergency manager who initiated the water switch and the head of the various state agencies who signed off on it and anyone else who tried to cover up or profit from the water crisis, up to and including Obama.

You cannot talk to the people who lived through it and you cannot see the wreckage of their community and you cannot know what was forced on them for the crime of being poor, being Black, being overlooked, without seething with rage. It would've gone ignored, like the rest of such cases in this country, without persistence by a handful of people and some extreme luck.

It is so egregious as to be nearly unbelievable and anyone making excuses or rationalizations for it deserves the worst that life can dole out to them.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

LinYutang posted:

How many votes did Biden get and what is the population of the county?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

LinYutang posted:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

It’s really extremely funny when a Joeboi in here just totally offers up their gigantic noggin for endless dunks when they whiff a gotcha like this

"rape is fine! rape is fine!!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a basketball

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 23, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Craptacular! posted:

"I only believe the rape victims of people in power if they reveal their tragedies in a manner that doesn't affect the abuser's position in power" is neither a salient nor logically consistent point. It's just more bet hedging to tut tut about a woman's impure motives and actions regarding her rape.

Which, like I said to SAG, is just how rape culture perpetuates and you're a piece of poo poo for thinking like that.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Y'all are creeps, eat poo poo

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

OK, guys. There's a new page coming up soon. Let's give it a good effort, we're gonna not defend concentration camps and just #BelieveWomen. We got this, guys. Let's bring it in. Let's bring it in. Come on. Everyone put your hands in the middle, and on three, we're gonna scream "No means no!"
1, 2, 3...

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

What was it, 60% of people who voted for him think Biden supports Medicare for all when he's very vocal about not supporting it every time it comes up, so the average Biden voter either doesn't know or doesn't care about stuff like this, but you also didn't see any of this shown throughout the first primaries.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

joepinetree posted:

How many votes did Biden get and what is the population of the county?

I had to look it up since obviously the lib won't and biden got 37,575 votes in a county of 406,000, a stout 9.25%. That's not the registered voting population but who gives a poo poo.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I had to look it up since obviously the lib won't and biden got 37,575 votes in a county of 406,000, a stout 9.25%. That's not the registered voting population but who gives a poo poo.

https://mvic.sos.state.mi.us/VoterCount

335,197 registered voters letting him clear straight into double digit percentages, a whopping 11.2%.

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Why don't 74% vote?

Shere posted:

https://mvic.sos.state.mi.us/VoterCount

335,197 registered voters letting him clear straight into double digit percentages, a whopping 11.2%.

is this 335,197 all Democrats or just registered voters?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Craptacular! posted:

A few people have already jumped on this but seriously? Long before she took any "political" position people were calling her a Russian agent, scouring her personal history for every mistake she ever made, and saying that she must be lying because she waited so long. I guess her saying Biden should drop out provides a miniscule amount of cover for someone looking for any reason to disbelieve her, but anyone who wanted to do so already had a million manufactured reasons to choose from. And it would hardly "blow up" their mindset; people aren't logically concluding she must be a liar and supporting Biden. They're responding emotionally based on how important Biden winning is to their personal identity, and nothing is going to convince someone that Biden is bad if they've wrapped their sense of self into a Dem victory in November.

Also victim-blaming isn't cool, whether you're blaming them for what happened to them or blaming them for their actions afterwards. The decisions Reade has made through this whole debacle seem like the best someone is going to be able to do. I mean the woman is being attacked on a daily basis and likely receiving more death threats than this thread has posts. I'm not going to tsk tsk her for making a potentially inefficient "political" play.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Can you name anything your candidate of choice has done? You know, something good, not the usual bits and pieces we supply from his endless swell of monstrosity.

I'll wait. I've got time.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

BristolSOF posted:

Why don't 74% vote?

is this 335,197 all Democrats or just registered voters?

Registered voters, I couldn't find anything on # of registered by party affiliation.

e: worth noting that in 2020 Michigan held an open primary. You did not need to be a registered Democrat to participate in the Democratic primary.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 23, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

BristolSOF posted:

Why don't 74% vote?
Maybe it's because our democracy is a farce. :iiam:

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
if she didn't take a position, people would ask why she wouldn't insist he be disqualified if he really raped her. She can't win because you can't convince someone of something they don't want to believe.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If you had asked me yesterday whether D&D liberals could tell whether poisoning black children was morally wrong, I would have assumed they could.

I wouldn't have thought for a second that they wouldn't be able to tell me whether feeding lead to kids was right or wrong without looking at an electoral map (and then concluding it was Right and Good because it didn't lose them any elections)

So way to come in under the bar of basic human decency once again, gj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

If you had asked me yesterday whether D&D liberals could tell whether poisoning black children was morally wrong, I would have assumed they could.

lol cmon you aren't THAT much of an idiot