Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
https://twitter.com/chick_in_kiev/status/1267314560886808581
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Is anyone else getting worried about the weather? Just constant heat and sunshine. Ground here is bone dry and I'm worried there's going to be water shortages and crop failures if it keeps up. Probably more heath fires this summer as well.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Is anyone else getting worried about the weather? Just constant heat and sunshine. Ground here is bone dry and I'm worried there's going to be water shortages and crop failures if it keeps up. Probably more heath fires this summer as well.

Seems pretty cool for June in the next couple of weeks here. (North kent)

beampunk
May 10, 2020

I hate snakeu

:redflag: :gaysper: :meowth:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Looked this up before - the final stage contingency for water shortage is restricting the mains supply to a set period each day to conserve what's left. I thought we were on the brink of it year before last.

We know that heatwaves of the severity of 2018 are going to become more frequent - no less than a green industrial revolution and all the attendant interlocking reforms will do. Awesome.

I don't know about anyone else but I can scarcely remember what 'normal weather' was, been on tenterhooks for 5+ years now.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

don't panic! we're an island... we're surrounded by water!!!!!!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's been dry for a while but haven't we had massively above average rainfall for the last two years before this spell? I'm sure I read a couple of months ago that reservoirs were full to overflowing and groundwater was significantly elevated, and half the country flooded 6 months ago.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Won't need to worry about crops getting left in the field if they die out first

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I accidentally signed up for a free trial of amazon prime (sneaky fuckers). I picked a really odd time to watch mr robot. All those people wearing surgical masks and the rioting etc.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I have always thought the most unrealistic scene in the TV series LOST was Michelle Rodriguez's character getting chided by her fellow police officer colleague for sticking a gun aggressively in a suspect's face

And LOST had a lot of batshit crazy stuff.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jippa posted:

I accidentally signed up for a free trial of amazon prime (sneaky fuckers). I picked a really odd time to watch mr robot. All those people wearing surgical masks and the rioting etc.

It is sneaky how they do that! I got caught at some point last year or the year before. I put an alert to remind me to cancel it before the month was up.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It is sneaky how they do that! I got caught at some point last year or the year before. I put an alert to remind me to cancel it before the month was up.

I think with Prime you can just cancel as soon as the trial starts and still keep your access until the trial expires. Useful if you get got again, so you don't need to try to remember to cancel it after you've watched stuff/ordered the thing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Maugrim posted:

Guava you're slipping

:rip:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I'm worried about Guavanaut..

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm here. Funnily enough my bank app decided that May has 30 days and yesterday was June 1st. That combined with time being a flat cube and this being magic orange season (and my internet being poo poo today) means new thread later today.

OwlFancier posted:

Will it carry over to other countries, I wonder?

The reform or the civil war I guess.
It'll be very interesting if people start talking en masse about alternatives to police and courts.

It's also interesting that most of the UK news has been talking about George Floyd and completely ignoring that most of the protests in the South are about the police murder of Breonna Taylor and the bullshit decision to charge her boyfriend with attempted murder of a police officer because he shot back at armed men in black boiler suits and balaclavas in his house who didn't announce who they were.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Munin posted:

Btw, here is a thread pretty showing a lot of examples of what many cops are up to during the current unrest in the US:
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1266751520055459847

The more the better but the standard is closer to see above.

This is incredibly hard to watch.

Watch it anyway.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think empowering the "good ones", and ensuring the "bad ones" suffer consequences, would go a lot further than you think. Of course I absolutely agree we with your other points, but ultimately the problems come because bad people are allowed to act with impunity.

A solidly-enforced disciplinary and judicial process would have a massive mutliplier effect once the convictions started rolling in because you're removing that impunity. I'm sure - just as after Countryman and the other big anti-corruption sweeps of the 70s and 80s - you'd see a lot of coppers suddenly deciding coppering isn't for them any more for entirely unrelated reasons, and we can all wave them goodbye.

I think that if it were possible, ensuring the bad ones faced consequences would work. I think you'd struggle to find enough 'good ones' to empower at this point to make a difference though - you don't get this level of militarised action without the entire system being corrupt. This isn't 'just a few bad apples' (which statement ignored the fact that that aphorism is about how a few bad apples ruins the entire stock), it's the few worst apples doing things like driving their cars along, casually squirting pepper sprey out of the window, whilst the ruined, possibly-formerly-good apples just drive along behind, following their orders to drive over to protests and mob up and at the very least, watch whilst the people they share a break room with shoot up peaceful protests, medics, media people, and innocent bystanders.

And even if you did manage to ensure consequences were faced by the bad ones, you would have a HUGE climb to actually build trust with the public, which trust simply doesn't exist at this point.

A friend who I met when he was in the UK 5 or so years ago, and is now fairly closely involved with these protests, has been sharing footage of things like groups of cops taking the knee, and pointing out that it's just a publicity stunt. Which it is. Instead of taking a knee, they could be taking up arms against the obvious absues of their colleagues. They have access to the equipment, they could be sabotaging it, or taking riot shields and gas masks and armour and providing it to the people who actually need it.

They're not, they're just kneeling for a few minutes whilst the cameras are on them, then who knows what they're doing after that.

----

The thing this really makes me wonder, and worry about, is how bad things are here. Because I know our police have their own problems, and I honestly have no idea how bad things are in poorer inner-city areas. I don't think there as bad as this, but I wouldn't be surprised to see things going this way by the end of another 5 years of austerity and hatred.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

I'm here. Funnily enough my bank app decided that May has 30 days and yesterday was June 1st. That combined with time being a flat cube and this being magic orange season (and my internet being poo poo today) means new thread later today.

It'll be very interesting if people start talking en masse about alternatives to police and courts.

It's also interesting that most of the UK news has been talking about George Floyd and completely ignoring that most of the protests in the South are about the police murder of Breonna Taylor and the bullshit decision to charge her boyfriend with attempted murder of a police officer because he shot back at armed men in black boiler suits and balaclavas in his house who didn't announce who they were.

I've not even heard about that one!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've not even heard about that one!
I'm thinking they're making a conscious decision not to talk about it at all, because it's managed to get the Black Lives Matter/antiracism crowd and the Waco/gun rights/home defense crowd on the same side, which in Texas means you've lost the argument.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I'm thinking they're making a conscious decision not to talk about it at all, because it's managed to get the Black Lives Matter/antiracism crowd and the Waco/gun rights/home defense crowd on the same side, which in Texas means you've lost the argument.

lol if you think it actually gets the gun rights/home defence crowd on side, don't you know that police officers are automatically identifiable even if they've removed all their ID and are dressed all in black and don't announce themselves?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nah there's a segment that still remembers Waco and Ruby Ridge as formative moments and thinks that the Federal Government are going to break into their home at night and murder them for owning guns. They're poo poo at the social analysis of how race and poverty plays into which houses get targeted, but this has been circulating around those sectors as "if you saw armed men in your home in ski masks would you protect your partner?" memes.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Random question, where does the iconic "Follow your leader" picture actually stem from?

Guavanaut posted:

Nah there's a segment that still remembers Waco and Ruby Ridge as formative moments and thinks that the Federal Government are going to break into their home at night and murder them for owning guns. They're poo poo at the social analysis of how race and poverty plays into which houses get targeted, but this has been circulating around those sectors as "if you saw armed men in your home in ski masks would you protect your partner?" memes.

Waco, cause célèbre. 1985 bombing of MOVE, footnote in history.

Munin fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 1, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Munin posted:

Random question, where does the iconic "Follow your leader" picture actually stem from?

A wall stencil.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Jedit posted:

A wall stencil.

UK? Did it have the "Fascists Racists Haters of Refugees" from the start? Do we know who conceived it?

It is bloody genius.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kpop stans are good now

https://twitter.com/LetItMelo/status/1267255731088232449?s=20

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Some people were talking about weights in here last week. If anyone is after a small set, Argos has their dumbbells up but only on eBay here. 2500 watchers so they won't last long.

Worrying chart on page 17 https://assets.publishing.service.g...y_w22_Final.pdf

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 1, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i see brendan oneill is on tv yet again

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Some people were talking about weights in here last week. If anyone is after a small set, Argos has their dumbbells up but only on eBay here. 2500 watchers so they won't last long.

drat this isn't available anywhere near me

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

when you definitely understand history

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1267385414005993474?s=20

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Does anyone know what's going on with Game Workers Unite? There's a bunch of chatter on Twitter about some race issue, but I've not been able to piece it together, Twitter just loops me through the same series of tweets. I've been looking at returning to the industry so would have been interested in getting involved.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

when you definitely understand history
lmao 'Malcom' is the cherry on that poo poo tweet.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ah yes, Malcolm X, the first 9 Malcolms having been replaced for being too violent

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

cool this scab is a labour peer

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1267180697908916225?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
May UKMT thread never ending was actually predicted by nostradamus :ghost:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I mean it's not the least bit surprising, but "the labour movement should stay out of politics" is a hell of a take from a labour politicial

e: he's getting righteously bodied in the replies

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 1, 2020

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

lmao 'Malcom' is the cherry on that poo poo tweet.

I mean and also Madiba. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMkhonto_we_Sizwe tooootally not violent amirite

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

I have to admit I knew nothing about that poor EMT being killed until I read it here . (Along with a third case of Ahmaud Arbery.)

The key factor in Breonna's death were "No Knock" warrants which I hadn't heard of before and they sound super loving deadly for all concerned.

What I think is saddest about this is that these events absolutely deserve to spark protests and grind the country to a halt. But why can't mass shootings like Sandyhook or Las Vegas also have a similar level of effect?

America be a strange place, yo'.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

crispix posted:

May UKMT thread never ending was actually predicted by nostradamus :ghost:

Hey, last time we wished for the end of May the monkey's paw gave us Boris Johnson!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

I have to admit I knew nothing about that poor EMT being killed until I read it here . (Along with a third case of Ahmaud Arbery.)

The key factor in Breonna's death were "No Knock" warrants which I hadn't heard of before and they sound super loving deadly for all concerned.

What I think is saddest about this is that these events absolutely deserve to spark protests and grind the country to a halt. But why can't mass shootings like Sandyhook or Las Vegas also have a similar level of effect?

America be a strange place, yo'.

Because mass shootings don't give you someone so obvious and concrete to rebel against. A mass shooter usually won't be back on the streets the next day surrounded by his buddies in uniform.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
What is a union without politics???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

A union.

Without politics.

In what possible world is that a thing someone thinks can exist, let alone a loving nominally-Labour politician thinks can exist.