Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Nah that's IWGB

Specifically, Game Workers Unite UK is a branch of IWGB; we're open to anyone who works in games in the UK, but not the broader tech industry. You might want to look into the Tech Workers Coalition which isn't a union per se but they're a cool bunch of tech comrades.

IWGB have recently started a 'holding branch' for people whose industries don't currently have much in the way of union representation; joining gives you access to our legal team and resources, and could help put you in touch with like-minded people to eventually form your own proper union branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does anyone know what's going on with Game Workers Unite? There's a bunch of chatter on Twitter about some race issue, but I've not been able to piece it together, Twitter just loops me through the same series of tweets. I've been looking at returning to the industry so would have been interested in getting involved.

(Very long, drawn out sigh here. I've been stressing about this all weekend)

I'll try and summarise. Back in November, some organisers in the international Game Workers Unite group(importantly: this is not the same as Game Workers Unite UK: we're a totally autonomous offshoot of the international group, we are a legally-recognised trade union, they are A Bunch of People with a Discord server) discussed the idea of making an anti-white-supremacy statement on the group's Twitter account. I assume this was in response to some incident in the news at the time but my memory is completely scrambled. Anyway, one member, Marijam(full disclosure, I consider Marijam a personal friend), made a clunky observation that maybe the statement was a bit too American-centric(a common criticism of GWU international; it is full of yanks) and the member who had suggested it, Sisi, did not take kindly to this and left the meeting. Marijam reached out to try and explain her thinking better but Sisi did not respond. GWU Discord moderators looked into the matter and decided that Marijam hadn't done anything wrong, just should have chosen her words better. Sisi left the group some time later and has refused to speak to anyone from GWU about it. The statement did go out, unaltered, a week after being proposed, and Marijam assumed that the issue was resolved.

Apparently it wasn't because Sisi started tweeting about it this weekend(maybe it was Friday? I don't understand time anymore) and accusing GWU as a whole of being inherently racist. Marijam has stepped down from her involvement with the group but now GWU UK is being urged to do something about this as she is a member of our union. High-profile member Meg Jayanth has quit the union in protest and has been tweeting a lot about it. We'll be putting out a statement about it later today. I have a lot of thoughts about what's going on and acknowledge my bias in this situation but I'm going to wait and see what our exec committee wants to do.