Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

well it was an interesting (and also grotesquely terrible) experiment but rip america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jippa posted:

"In the UK, Google says it is seeing a clear increase in activity despite the fact that the country's lockdown measures have not been relaxed.

The latest Google mobility report - which refers to last weekend - shows a marked increase in activity across the country.
It said visits to parks were only 10% below normal, while they were around 50% lower at the beginning of the lockdown."

if that's true then what's even the point in extending the lockdown? Clearly we can't hack it, and it's not like the government will make things more restrictive

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

yeah, you're right, my mind kind of glazed over the whole 'parks' thing, of course that's to be expected

but the government are definitely still half-arsing this

EDIT I really wasn't trying to actually argue for ending the lockdown - as my recent posts will attest - it was more of a rhetorical 'if this isn't working, what do?' question. But it seems it is working, or at least people are sticking to it Apologies all

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

There's still a chance for rebellion and ultimately revolution

lol there really isn't, not on this miserable boot-licking little island

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

XMNN posted:

think my neighbours are building up to one of those disputes where someone gets stabbed with a pair of hedge trimmers

what I've gathered from their recurring shouting matches is that one of them is unhappy about the other building a shed of some sort, and the other is unhappy about them looking in their garden (and possibly taking pictures?) and both of them would like to hit each other and/or get the police involved

sounds entertaining at least

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Angepain posted:

The Balcony Wars are apparently hotting up in my friend's flat, here's the story she told me: she was having a phone call out on the balcony when the neighbour started playing loud music when she was talking, speakers right at her, turning off when she stopped talking, for like fifteen minutes or so. on eventually confronting this woman to ask if she had a problem the response was first a "are you talking to me?" and then a "of course I don't want to hear you talking for hours". on being asked why she did not just use her words to communicate this issue, the response was apparently, how can I talk to you when you've put this barrier between us, referring to the planter on the edge of the balcony. this country really needs to figure out a way of dealing with disagreements other than the usual methods of mild tutting and passive aggression

that's what the hedge trimmers are for

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

jesus, what a life

no wonder she gets tired in the afternoon, she eats literal bird food and dust

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Does anyone else get pissed off when friends and acquaintances on 'the right' share and diss Guardian articles and sneer at 'the left' because they think the Guardian is 'left' and that everyone on 'the left' takes the Guardian as holy writ?

I don't have friends or acquaintances who sneer at the left, and maybe nor should you

well that's that then

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

New Labour occupied roughly the same space as the Lib Dems do now. It didn't have to change.

What pisses me off about centrism - or at least self-declared centrism - is that it looks at everything bad in society and says "but we shouldn't try something else". It doesn't even work in their interests - the best thing that could ever happen for centrist parties is a left wing experiment trying and failing.

they know it'd work, that's why they don't want it to happen

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jose posted:

lol at how badly its gone for starmer already at this rate i can't see making the next election

https://twitter.com/owenhatherley/status/1257273102058369026?s=20

tbh I don't trust Rayner either

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Venomous posted:

'Emu meatballs'

I know, what a wanker

I wish I had the balls to just throw my hands up in the air and go full Hunter S. Thompson

also the money, to be fair, that's a lot of cocaine

Darth Walrus posted:

I love the implication that Thompson apparently had -5 hours of sleep per day. Not 5 hours, -5.

think you read it wrong? If he goes to bed at 8:20 AM and gets up at 3 PM that's six hours 40 minutes sleep

which isn't a lot, but to be fair, that's a lot of cocaine

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 4, 2020

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Along with "weed was safe in the 70s because it came from plants, but now it's 150% THC, which is why it must be kept illegal."

lol I hear this one all the time from my never-smoked-dope father and used-to-smoke dope uncle

I'll give up my awesome modern space weed when you give up yer whiskey

Borrovan posted:

Does sorta look like she must have played a role in last week's stitch up (re the leak cover up investigation)

idk what game she's playing, it looks very bad for the left atm so I think she might be going turncoat

certainly my read

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

justcola posted:

Back then it was weed, now we're all smoking super skunk and having gay cyber sex over zoom meetings whilst working from home. Boomers are jealous.

non-weeders don't seem to get that other than with edibles it's self-titrating. If it takes you two hits to get the level you wanted to get to instead of ten, then that's better for your lungs and better all round. It's not like drinking a bottle of whiskey in one go

I will say that the tendency to breed 0% CBD strains isn't great, but that's a function of prohibition

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Isn't there a problem with THC levels and the effect it can have on people developing early onset psychosis?

I know from my work (and I accept it is anecdotal) there is a lot of problems with young people with no previous diagnosed history of mental illness developing it af tr er having used high THC cannabis.

I don't think that Weed is causing it, they were always likely to develop it. But it is being activated earlier and more severe from use of weed.

there does seem to be a link in the vulnerable, yeah, but I'd guess that if modern weed does contribute more to the issue it's just that it makes it easier to get high, so then you might get high more often. Having to blow through half a gram of ditch weed isn't nearly as fun as having a couple of hits and getting on with whatever you were doing, so you'll be tempted to do it more often. But THC is THC, y'know?

I'm not one for hyper strong super skunk myself, but it's again an issue with prohibition. My ideal A Weed would be 15-20% CBD and 15-20% THC, terpenes and secondary cannabinoids to taste, which is unfortunately not the way (black) market forces are currently pushing it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

you can't be genuinely 'wtf' at this, surely

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Or at least, that the British public has been conclusively proven to be loving morons who don't want good things

it's this

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

And then he would say that at PMQs, get monstered by all the media for Talking Britane Down and doing an ableism against a COVID survivor hero, and LAB would drop another 5 points

it's true

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

You're well on the way to starmering with that attitude.

not really, you say what's right no matter how our idiot press and country react, Corbs is doing that

I don't think Failed Imagineer is saying that Corbyn is wrong to say the right things because then the wrong things are said about him. I think he's bitterly denouncing the state of our sorry society, rightly

VVVVV laffo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I actually had a bunch of surgical masks from ages ago from when I used to ride the National Express once a week, which would make me sick literally every single time

I only use 'em when I'm inside, though, and that's only once every ten days or so. Don't see any point in wasting my dwindling supplies on it when I'm outdoors

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jakabite posted:

You're only going indoors once every ten days!? Christ man you're meant to be inside most of the time!

I now live in a tree, the rent is cheaper, even if my new landlord (magpie) can be a bit of a dick sometimes (cawing in or near ear, bites my hair)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

oh hey i'm a dr now apparently lol, they let anyone into academia these days i tells ya

seriously though, viva passed with minor corrections - feeling pretty drat great!

Nice one bud!

josh04 posted:

Congrats! Welcome to the club. You are now allowed to share "the look" with other phds when you meet in social situations.

Ah yes, the empty, haunted, thousand yard look?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Did Are Keir say anything of note at all this evening?

he buzzed like a fridge for a bit then switched off

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

jabby posted:

You all scoff at the importance of Starmer being good at PMQs, but this is objectively closer to killing Tories than Corbyn ever got.

wait, what? Jabby, is that you?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

rip your child, you vile loving oval office

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

justcola posted:

Feeling a bit poo poo today, is there any good news besides people are joining unions?

Just feel dead poo poo about coronavirus deaths, bootlickers, this 'hero' bullshit, internal Labour politics, hints at infinite austerity, another decade the Tories in power, climate change, the effects automation will have on the regions, a toxic media and just a general sense of alienation from the public. Finding it hard to feel comradely when most people I talk to seem intent on death, regressive in their views not just in decades but centuries.

I know I should mostly care about stuff I can change and keep a bean of hope for a better tomorrow, but I also just want to just gently caress everything off

e: not in like a suicide way, like sit in a forest with some cans kind of way

Mate, seriously go sit in a forest with some cans. I was feeling similar to you on Wednesday - I was so wound up my partner said that I was almost radiating stress like stink lines, like the air was practically boiling around me - and I just gave up and wandered away and got drunk and listened to old music and felt a lot better.

The world is hosed, if you don't want to die then leave it some other way. Chemicals are a good way

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

jabby posted:

It's a loving joke dude, I don't think it really deserved three people aggressively telling me what a oval office I am.

I literally stopped checking this thread because instead of an outlet it turned into something actively harmful to my mental health, and months later it doesn't seem to be any different. Maybe I've missed all the good, positive stuff and just happened to turn up at yet another argument about whether to quit Labour, but it really doesn't surprise me to read posts like the one by justcola. I mean gently caress, I meet people dying of Covid who depress me less than reading a few pages here.

sorry I misunderstood your original joke, jabby, didn't mean no harm

and yeah, this thread ruins my day whenever I read it, but dammit if it isn't the most trustworthy source of news I have access to

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

very bitter lol at this

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Angepain posted:

I desperately want to know the explanation for that "For psychotherapists"

also a covid first in that the first one of the people I vaguely knew in high school and inexplicably still have on facebook has shared an article about how the coronavirus is not actually a threat and we should all go outside again, from Spiked Online of all places. Sadly I do not know her well enough to kramer in and call her a numpty in the comments but I am keeping an eye on it as it might at least provide some good watching if someone decides to start a flame war. find entertainment where you can

do it anyway, what're you gonna lose? Her? She sounds like a moron, you won't miss her

why let it go unchallenged? people might see what she posted and make decisions, but other people might see what you say and then not make dumb decisions

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Cummies is going to be fine, this will blow over in 24 hours

OwlFancier posted:

In what sense?

presumably they thought he was a Sensible and Reasonable person and not a shiteating bloodthirsty deathcultist (just another tory)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1264560761550094338?s=20

lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I am genuinely lmaoing at all this. I think this is the thing that's finally broken me, it's all just bitter hilarity from hereon

flat out hootin and hollerin

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Answers Me posted:

BBC cut to Downing Street just after Cummings left No.10 and now you can hear people heckling him as he drives off in the background

good

I hope people are outside his house day and night

I want him to be loving terrified

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

I am genuinely addicted to this story. I don't think I've ever seen a government just tear its public image apart so rapidly in this way before.

I'm just endlessly refreshing this thread and hoping for more.

same, it's bananas

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Answers Me posted:

Four and half years away from an election, they've gone mask off already. Johnson-Cummings doing what they like. Despite me having my eyes open the whole time (it's basically London Mayor Johnson up to 11), I'm pretty worried about the road this is heading down. Someone on Twitter called it Eton–Orbanism and that sounds about right.

the plan is pretty clearly to do away with 'the blob' and institute absolute autocracy, yeah

it's pretty hosed up, and I think this is going to be a litmus test as to whether we really will put up with a permanent one party/one man state

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah I agree

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

namesake posted:

So we're likely going to see the number of infections trending up in the coming week from the relaxation 2 weeks ago, right in the middle of the government continuing to defend Cummings obvious violation of the restrictions over a month ago and preparing to further loosen restrictions and open schools next Monday.

This is going to be a long week in politics, I really think something might obviously and probably permanently break because of it. Let's hope it's the Tory government.

Yeah

storm's comin

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

lol cynical ghouls

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

zentigeist posted:

I am legitimately pissed I've not sucked dick in literally 10 weeks to SAVE LIVES but Cumming's gets to infect every forest north of London on his magical journey and he can get away with it??

AM I THE MUG IN THIS SITUATION?

I mean, apparently, yes

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Pesmerga posted:

No he's not, he's going to be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Fundamentally he thinks his circumstances are completely unique and exceptional and no one else could possibly have themselves and their wife Ill while having an ill child, and that gives him the right to take the absolute piss with the rules.

I do think that he'll be able to brazen it out precisely because of this, though. He genuinely believes he is of a different order to everyone else, and if he repeats it enough I can totally see people accepting it