Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Had some premature clappers around here that were going off before the time. I think overall the first time round was the strongest, since then only some enthusiasts are going for it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1259045346564587522?s=21

This is a good article on what's going on inside the government - long story short, we're seeing a Tory faction war where the last week of briefings were a sustained attack on Number Ten policy by the party far right.

lol

"Buzzfeed" posted:

Dominic Cummings, who at the beginning of the pandemic was said to have endorsed the controversial herd immunity approach, has also become more dovish in recent weeks, allies of the PM’s chief aide said.

At one meeting, Cummings told colleagues he had been reading about how countries which lifted their lockdowns following the Spanish flu in 1918 had been hit by second waves that caused a larger economic hit than those who kept their restrictions in place. This “conversion” in favour of ongoing lockdown surprised some present.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

blunt posted:

Hypothetically if you were doing WFH for a British company and you decided you'd rather live in [non-eu country, lets say Canada for example] while you performed this work, would you require a work visa or could you move from place to place on tourism visas? Is it country dependent? I suppose income taxes might also be a consideration?

I guess this isn't a new question if 'digital nomads' already do it?

Working from 'home' forever certainly raises a lot of possibilities.

Normally you'd need a visa and if you're a regular employee your company would need to either move you to a local branch or set you up with some local agency that sorts your salary processing. If you're self-employed you'd have to figure out paying taxes there.

You could obviously just move somewhere without telling HR but then you'd live somewhere with no access to social security and liable to be kicked out or penalised if anybody ever rats you out for not having a work permit. Short term absolutely doable but longterm seems like a bad idea.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

I've been led to believe that Paul Holmes most weekends pops round someone's place for a totally socially distant afternoon drink so I'm sure he is wildly outraged at what's going on.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

kingturnip posted:

I propose that anyone who drives from Liverpool to Bournemouth to go to the beach is a knobber irrespective of whether they turn around when they see that it's packed.

I'd say the story is just made up as it is 5 hours one way from Liverpool to Bournemouth (without stops). That's more than pointless for a daytrip.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

peanut- posted:

Interesting that Switzerland has been easing measures for weeks is getting almost completely out of lock down on Monday, after a generally lighter touch approach than us for the entire period. Schools went back weeks ago, though they did close them a week before we did.

I wonder in the final accounting how much difference various levels of lock down will be judged to have made. The results seem so random between different countries.

Switzerland banned public gatherings over 1000 people from 28th of Feb, at which point there were less than 20 recorded cases. Local authorities could decide on banning smaller gatherings. They also closed the border to Italy at some point. Some harder hit areas enforced strict measures IIRC but overall Switzerland escaped being in the group of worst-hit countries with what measures they did put in + the timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
What is a union without politics???