Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

franco posted:

I'll give the virus one thing: I'm furloughed and my work has an online "hub" thing that was mainly used for people getting rotas/booking holiday and the like before this all kicked off. It also has a facebook-lite where we're being encouraged to "stay in touch!" and the "inspirational" memes and shite that people are posting is revealing utter bellends that I didn't even detect in real life. Very helpful.

Yeah, my work has a facebook type thing where some people post about work things, but it's also idiots posting minion memes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

blunt posted:

You know how the two metre distancing rule is more important indoors than outdoors because of relative airflow and particle dispersion? Well...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52524344

Looks like I'll be working from home for a while yet.

It's OK, extensive surveillance will make sure the publiccompanies are kept safe!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/03/coronavirus-health-passports-for-uk-possible-in-months

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Vitamin P posted:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/rishi-sunak-furlough-plans-coronavirus-a4432181.html

Aside from 'tories hate the poor' is there any reason for lowering the overall furlough rate rather than lowering the maximum rate?

If someone is getting £2500 from furlough then they will almost certainly have some savings to fall back on, but if lower waged people are put on to 60% then that raises a ton of issues like monthly bills won't be met and food needs won't be met.

Some kind of plan to "Encourage"/force furloughed workers to look for jobs, and simultaneously encouraging (tory donor owned) companies that furloughed or laid off workers to bring people back at lower salaries?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

"mass gathering at hyde park" is such a weird phrase.

Hey I'm going to the mass gathering. Not a concert, not a rally, not an event, just literally I am going to stand next to a lot of other people because somebody told me not to.

It doesn't say "bring a union jack picnic blanket" but you know a lot will do

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Welp, looks like the government are definitely going to be pinning this one on Foreigners and not their own incompetence at procurement and logistics

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/07/all-400000-gowns-flown-from-turkey-for-nhs-fail-uk-standards

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

crispix posted:

Some of the public definitely are asking for it and it won't take much to convince a whole lot more in spite of reality that it's nothing to worry about, again

And then everyone will crowd onto public transport that's running more limited schedules because Business Must Go On and you can't wfh to sell garden centre and DIY products from home! Absolutely throwing people into the fire with this.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

zentigeist posted:

I was wondering why there were people flying English flags and bunching up in crowds everywhere. The only thing more consistent than the chatter outside is the police sirens.

Do people normally celebrate VE day?

Only people like Farage.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

If this causes another spike (and it will) do you think the folks 'in charge' will change their minds again?

Personally I think just sticking with "gently caress it, not going to bother listening to anything Boris says or does" might be better for all of us long term.

Nicola Sturgeon has been pretty open that even when lockdown lifts, it may strengthen again or being increased in certain areas if there are spikes.

In England in sounds more like the message has been "when it lifts, it lifts and we're done" because they don't think people will put up with it a second time so who knows

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

josh04 posted:

Meltdown May delivers, as all the shittiest UK hacks close ranks against Owen Jones on the hotly contested turf of "clean your own house, there's a pandemic on"

https://twitter.com/sarahditum/status/1260515411814162433

It's KILLING them.

If it wasn't enraging, it would be hilarious how oblivious they all are to their own smug privilege.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Communist Thoughts posted:

probably a bit more likely to take 4 weeks for the deaths to start showing. new infections obvs wont showing cause we're still not doign any community testing almost 3 months into the pandemic

so expect a few weeks of the right wing saying that death figures are dropping even though lockdown has ended. probably rapidly followed by several attempts to stop recording deaths at all

tbh i think a second lockdown is pretty optimistic, i think we're gonna go back to normal except with shitloads more deaths

Budget airlines have already started promoting flights from the UK to Europe starting in early July so I assume their bosses have been told that things will be back to normal by then. Not sure if they're really expecting them to go ahead, or if the idea is to sell flights with "no coronavirus cancellation" clauses and keep some cash if they have to cancel, what a shame.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Drone_Fragger posted:

Fundamentally he thinks his circumstances are completely unique and exceptional and no one else could possibly have themselves and their wife Ill while having an ill child, and that gives him the right to take the absolute piss with the rules. What he doesn’t understand is that his circumstances apply to literally hundreds of thousands of other families who’ve had to make sacrifices.

Ah but you see his giant brain holds the very fate of the nation in the balance

Edit:

XMNN posted:

potentially, but everyone's (mostly) still stuck in doors with not much to do and feeling a bit frustrated, also the only things likely to drive it out of the news are more government gently caress ups

Or a strategically announced easing of part of the lockdown to grab headlines.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Angepain posted:

only if you're very important and making important decisions that nobody else could hope to make thanks to your powerful intellect

He and all the lockstep Tory MPs are just livid at the idea that someone might expect the people involved in coming up with and setting the guidance should actually be held to a higher standard as public figures, because they all think that being a public figure means you should just get away with anything you want.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Lol shops are back open in 2 weeks. We're all going to die.

Shops open in two weeks, but you still won't be able to have people inside your house for a long while based on a response, but also people coming to the UK who self-isolate will have to just provide their own food somehow even though they've just arrived here. They seem to be just making it up as they go

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's my understanding of it!
I put garlic on the computer and arranged bell, book and candle around it, and had a quick peak at her timeline. She is really against lockdown, mask wearing etc. and thinks the HumanCapital should get back to work instead of living it up on furlough payments.

Amazing how many people whose entire lifestyle is funded by being a right wing bigmouth like to talk about how people should get real jobs.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

XMNN posted:

then was completely baffled by how they think they're going to "lockdown a housing estate" when they finally get their tracing system up and running

I really don't get how local lockdowns will happen. If everyone had the app, you could message everyone around there maybe, but the app isn't going to have a good takeup rate realistically, and anything local would presumably miss people who live elsewhere but work in the area.

Short of putting a note through everyone's door or vans with loudspeakers (that would miss anyone out at work outside the area), I can't think of any easy way to tell people that a local area is locked down.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

XMNN posted:

Even if this were a genuine suggestion and not another Tory distraction, and it was feasible to enforce it, I don't even see what the point of such narrowly targeted lockdowns would be

by the time you've identified a cluster in a school or a large workplace or something those people have already been going home and potentially infecting their families and they've been going out and infecting their colleagues/school friends/teachers etc etc for probably at least a week even if we did have a world beating testing and tracing system

I mean in the Tory fantasy world the idea is probably to "minimise disruption" so "number go up" but in the real world it seems like would make more sense to do it to a whole local authority or a region that has growing case numbers, which is actually what I assumed they meant at first

Nicola Sturgeon has mentioned localised lockdowns a few weeks back I think as part of their longer term strategy once things had re-opened, but I assumed she meant at city/town level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Johnson is saying that the key to the contact tracing will be people getting phone calls from contact tracers. Most people I know routinely ignore calls from unknown numbers so I can't see that going well.