Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

We’re all working, knocking on doors in the rain or shine, to try to put in place a team that can go into government to improve the country we live in because we love the country we live in.
well not all of us, Keir

also I bet this guy has absolutely zero questionable opinions related to race or nationality

quote:

During a video call with people in Bury, there was criticism from one ex-voter who said he had been made to feel his support for the monarchy, Brexit and even waving the union jack was tantamount to racist behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
imagine literally waving a flag

lmao

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
hmmm who knew that people would get so het up about transpeople that they'd circle back round to "it's Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve"
https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1255432425976606720?s=20

don't read the replies if you don't want to see a river of unadulterated human excrement

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I just got invited to a work pub quiz

do I want to spend several hours on webcam drinking with people I have nothing in common with other than work or do I want do literally anything else??

:thunk: it's a tricky one

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1253717250785325057?s=20

did you know that the lockdown isn't working and is also killing lots of people? evidenced by:

- falling COVID infection rates
- loads of old people dying in care homes

it would be funny if it weren't so stupid

bonus points for the "lockdown is solely responsible for the economic damage, a raging pandemic would have had absolutely no impact on people's desire/ability to go to school/work/pubs/restaurants" canard

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Bardeh posted:

This is doing the rounds on the local FB group:

:wrongful:

now I hope this country tips over and falls into the sea

e: six is potentially a good word for Scrabble, if you can get the X on a double/triple letter square or in two words

should I be concerned by how much I'm enjoying beating my friends at internet Scrabble

XMNN fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 1, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
to be fair to him, I think it's the business/tory ghouls that are actually the driving factor. they've been at it full tilt and the media haven't really been giving starmer the oxygen of publicity

e: also he explicitly asked for a plan, and this isn't really a plan they're just going to open everything back up while infection rates are still higher than they were when we went in and magically everything will go back to normal because we're bored of lockdown so let's go back to pretending pandemics aren't real

XMNN fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 2, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
think my neighbours are building up to one of those disputes where someone gets stabbed with a pair of hedge trimmers

what I've gathered from their recurring shouting matches is that one of them is unhappy about the other building a shed of some sort, and the other is unhappy about them looking in their garden (and possibly taking pictures?) and both of them would like to hit each other and/or get the police involved

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/SmallStonesTall/status/1256603917707874304?s=20

this article is good

apparently the official government position on people who are being forced to work in unsafe conditions is "we have some talking points on our website, use them to negotiate with your employer"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol she's a labour mp, wasnt expecting that

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
"opposition for opposition's sake" is such a stupid turn of phrase it's embarrassing, it's an easy thing to throw back at you forever when the government wants to pretend it's acting uncontroversially in the national interest and it also implies that it's something you either might do or have done when actually we've always been opposing them because they're evil shitheads who want to do bad things or end up doing them semi-accidentally

Just say "we're not in government, we're the opposition and it's our role in this democracy to question the government and hold it to account when it doesn't live up to the standard Britain deserves, which is more important now than ever" or something. You don't even have to say "...because the evil bastards were quite happy to let hundreds of thousands of people die until it looked like it might play badly for them in the press" if you're feeling particularly decorous.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

learnincurve posted:

If you want a laugh then Andrew Neil has started mildly criticising the government on twitter and all the people with the Union Jack/George cross in their names/pictures are melting down.

https://twitter.com/afneil

lol I ended up on boomer twitter and this is certainly a new spin on "the last labour government"

https://twitter.com/rodbishop15/status/1256957798627315712?s=20

the replies are also hilarious, just old people going "I remember when I had the Asian flu, it was nineteen dickety two and I was wearing an onion on my belt, as was the style at the time"

my favourite one is this though

https://twitter.com/RonPoole13/status/1256984142329380864?s=20

what question?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

I clicked on this yesterday just to lol at the government going all in on the plan to get people back to work because they can't be bothered coming up with a plan to stop people dying, and for some reason I wasn't expecting the surveillance horror in there

why do they need biometric data?
why do they need photos of IDs?
why does this need to go to a private company?
will the private company keep this data secure and not use it for their own ends?

I mean the answer is obviously a) cost and ease, because this means you can get people to do home tests and you don't have to bother actually setting up any mass testing infrastructure and b) handing a bunch of money and sensitive personal data to a private company is literally the point, but why isn't whoever wrote that article making some sort of comment about it

like if it was in China they would definitely be discussing how this will feed into extended state surveillance by the sppoooky Chinese Communist party but they don't even mention that it might be a concern because it's the UK

like their only nod to "privacy" is that the receptionist at your work won't know your name or date of birth, but how many people work in a building with a receptionist that doesn't know the people that work there? I'm guessing in big multi-company office buildings in London, e.g. where these cunts are based?

quote:

Onfido provides identity verification through its online platform. Almost everyone now has a smartphone with a built-in camera[dubious – discuss] and Onfido is able to use this to compare and cross-reference a person's facial biometrics with their identity document, such as driver's license. The person's identification can then be checked against global databases for any issues. It uses manual and automated machine learning technologies, including optical character recognition and face detection, to verify the passport or ID card of an applicant to prevent fraud. Onfido also conducts right to work, PEP and sanctions checks using multiple data sources.

sounds like a nice bunch

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

he didn't respond to that one but someone else posted it too

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257253822881247233?s=20

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257255500053385218?s=20

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257264473200566272?s=20

also apparently David Irving actually is bad after all, but only when he does the incredibly clever and not at all transparent poo poo stirring thing where you know everyone hates you so you say positive things about someone to taint them by association

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257270042519011328?s=20

it's ok to read his books and put them on your bookshelf like you're proud of them, but if he says he likes you then you're a mega Nazi

e: apparently pointing out that Michael Gove, a literal Tory minister who loves hanging, racism and plankton, is a bit right wing is scorched earth extremism

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257260651342442496?s=20

XMNN fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 4, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
if you force water through an ion* selective membrane, the water goes through but the ions don't so you end up with water moving from a higher concentration solution to a lower concentration which is the opposite of normal osmosis

e: well, not just ions I suppose, I was mostly thinking about the ones for deionising water in labs

XMNN fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 4, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

baka kaba posted:

RLB always said Rayner was to the right of her, their joint run for leader and deputy was meant to be a unity compromise thing to give them broader appeal

so yeah I'm not sure how much she was ever in our corner, but it ain't looking good so far

but she has a regional accent!

I hate these people so much

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/04/jennie-formby-resigns-as-labour-party-general-secretary

quote:

A meeting of the national executive committee will be expected to set a timetable to elect a new general secretary.

Potential candidates to succeed Formby are thought to include the Unite political director, Anneliese Midgley, the Unison official Emilie Oldknow and GMB’s director of external relations, Lisa Johnson.

Allies of Oldknow and Johnson say it is no coincidence that they have been linked to recent scandals after they were flagged as potential successors to Formby.

Oldknow has been accused making inappropriate comments about colleagues in the controversial antisemitism report being investigated by the NEC.

Johnson has been closely connected to Tim Roache, the recently resigned GMB general secretary who is under investigation for inappropriate conduct.

Her supporters insist she was among the senior figures pushing for his resignation in recent days.

Formby’s resignation means that most of left of the party, which until December’s general election controlled all key positions, have been removed.
of course we're being targeted by detailed allegations of wrongdoing in a well evidenced internal report as a baseless smear campaign

although now that I think of it maybe this is projection because it's exactly what these bastards would do

also love the "I knew about it but I was pushing him to resign, honest guv" bit

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1257274518286094336?s=20

didn't he ask her to resign?

also weirdly worded, it could be inferred that the cause she fought for isn't the same as the cause he fought for :thunk:

e: I mean probably not intentional, it would be a bit more awkward to phrase it like "efforts she has made in advancing the cause we have fought all our lives for" or whatever

XMNN fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 4, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
do labour routinely announce membership numbers? it seems like they were doing so relatively frequently under Corbyn, but I assume that's because they were going up

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

justcola posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/04/cost-of-public-transport-should-be-raised-as-lockdown-ends-ifs

Cool, getting home on time is only for rich people. Who don't use public transport anyway. Must be fun working in these think tanks and just guessing what people's lives are like. Maybe just scrap every oval office having to work 9-5 instead of making them pay more to get to work at some minimum wage bullshit office?
this plan bears so little relation to reality that it's not even a "perfectly spherical commuters in an evacuated train carriage" grade approximation that I'm sure they haven't even begun to consider it, but I'd like to see one of these fuckers explain what this would actually look like in practice

like you finish work at 5, can't get the 5.15 home because it's prohibitively expensive, so you get the 6.15 instead, what are you doing for that extra hour? just hanging around the station or wandering the streets? how is that helping keep people home

also, you have to pick a price that is prohibitively expensive to enough people without making a bunch of other people who could afford the higher prices decide it's worth hanging around for an hour for the cheaper train, or everyone just gets the later one anyway

also also, it's telling how, even having written off actually doing anything (e.g. making the train companies run more trains, rationing train tickets for people who absolutely have to commute to work) as being too much like communism, their instinct is to raise prices for earlier trains rather than lower them for later ones

beginning to think the IFS might be a bunch of cunts

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

CGI Stardust posted:

Labour has released the 7 Core Principles by which it will provide good, unifying opposition during the crisis

lol is this like the brexit tests again

what is the point

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
like I don't understand who that graphic or the message in general is aimed at. is it labour members? is it the general public? I'm interested in politics and I can barely summon the energy to actually look at it.

cut it down to 3 or 4 points max, make them concise and maybe there's a chance people will be able to remember them. As it is, if they ever get mentioned on the news again it will either be as "labour's tests" as a whole without further explanation, or like pistol_pete said as a gotcha question

or just make it "the plan must be good, and not bad" because its basically the same thing and will have the same effect (literally nothing)

e:

Doccykins posted:

looks familiar

lol there's definitely someone with a pathological attraction to bullet points working in labour hq

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Who wants to find out why Sir Kier is asking Boris Johnson to build a national consensus on coronavirus?

tough poo poo it's behind the times pay wall

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why-im-asking-boris-johnson-to-build-a-national-consensus-on-coronavirus-ctpqwnht3

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

peanut- posted:

It is four weeks since I was elected leader of the Labour Party. In my acceptance speech I made a commitment to the British people: that I would do my utmost to guide us through these difficult times, to serve all of our communities and to strive for the good of our country. I stand by that commitment.

I said in that speech that we would have the courage to support the government when it was doing the right thing. That is why we supported lockdown, why we supported its extension and why we will support the government later this week when lockdown is reviewed. Saving lives and livelihoods must be our first priority.

But, as I also said four weeks ago, Labour must have the courage to challenge the government when mistakes are being made. The government went into this crisis unprepared and have been behind the curve ever since: too slow to enter lockdown, too slow on testing, too slow on personal protective equipment, too slow to set out an exit strategy.

We need to learn from those mistakes. We cannot be as unprepared for the next phase of this crisis.

That is why I called on the government last month to publish an exit strategy. Not for the lockdown to be lifted, but for a national strategy for how businesses, public services, communities and families could plan and be supported for the future. I welcome the government’s commitment to now do that.

But this cannot be written in isolation. Nor can it be done without an honest conversation with the public. There are no quick fixes to this crisis. We are in this for the long haul. The British people have made huge sacrifices and if we are to take them with us, then they have to be part of the debate about what comes next.

I want to see a national consensus, building on the expertise of business groups, trade unions, public services and other relevant organisations. And I want Labour to be a part of that conversation.

Today I have set out the seven core principles for the government’s exit strategy. These core principles are designed to ensure businesses, public services and communities are supported and kept safe in the weeks ahead.

That means ensuring robust protections when people go back to work or use our public services. A massive expansion in testing and tracing. Having a structured approach to easing and tightening restrictions. And building the NHS’s resilience for the winter.

A vaccine will of course be critical to ending this pandemic. We are unlikely to see one developed for many more months, but it is imperative that we start work now to build the capacity and infrastructure required to distribute it when it is ready.

These are the principles that I will be taking to the prime minister when we speak later this week. And these are the arguments I will be making on behalf of the British people.

thank you, doesn't actually say much and it's a lot shorter than I expected. He doesn't even really explain his tests, maybe it was printed with a graphic?

I was mostly just a bit disappointed at getting linked by several labour mps to an article behind a murdoch pay wall, when surely he must have made a very similar statement somewhere else.

Also, what on earth does "that is why... we will support the government later this week when lockdown is reviewed" actually mean?

The other things they courageously (loving lol) supported the government on that he cites are things where the government's actual decision is known, i.e. whether we went into lockdown and whether we came out of it, so you could be for or against them. How do they know they're going to support the government's decision later this week when they don't know what it is or why they made it?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

pitch a fitness posted:

"Right team, we have seven points related to the current public health crisis and need a corresponding seven colours. These seven colours are going to be essential to our message so we should put them on the leaflet twice.
We want a good range of colours so pick these from across the whole visible spectrum but under no circumstances should these colours of the rainbow be arranged in the order of the rainbow.
Connecting our plan with the easily-recalled and widely-recognised symbol of hope, especially during a time of it's current nationwide use in messages of support for the NHS, will only confuse things."

lol

also turns out they weren't even following the science that they'd attempted to influence

Boris Johnson boasted of shaking hands on day Sage warned not to

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
p sure the only way starmer is going to back ubi is if Johnson announces it first

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

justcola posted:

For some reason I always thought it was just shown in front of a set of swings, never got that that was the frame for it.

Just had a flashback to some night recently where I accidentally started watching Have I Got News For You during lockdown. If you thought it was poo poo before then, boy howdy, listen in wonder as jokes about Jeremy Corbyn are uttered into a void without any tittering. Stand with your mouth and other orifices agape in amazement as they show YouTube videos from 5 years ago to no audience reaction whatsoever. Bliss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r72G-vD1Rnw

ew emma barnett

and they apparently had galaxy o brian on this week

I swear it used to be funny at one point but maybe that was just my child like brain?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

winegums posted:

I think a lot of that is the razamataz of showbiz. The set, the lighting, the scripted jokes, the editing, the audience laughing at everything. Once that's all stripped away and it's just four 50 year-old men chatting poo poo over discord it becomes far less clever.
I've actually seen a couple of studio episodes in the last few years (my dad has liberal brain poisoning) and they were also not funny, even accounting for me not thinking "ha Corbyns a terrorist racist antisemite" is a joke, so it's not just the production standards/audience

I don't know if it wasn't funny because it's a tired format with two tired old men and at least one arsehole guest for balance, or if it was just never funny in the first place and I didn't realise because my critical faculties were lacking

or maybe it's a bit of both?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Angepain posted:

I wonder if part of it is that having the entire internet making the obvious kneejerk snark to every political situation in real time makes it obvious how trite a lot of political humour is. Like, when your only access to a group of dickhead jokesters competing to come up with the best cynical quip to make was for half an hour each week the novelty didn't wear off as quickly.

oh yeah the fact it's weekly means everything's old news by the time it airs now

Guavanaut posted:

I think it was funnier during the Blair years in the same way that David Davis was a voice of reason during the Blair years. Any incidental strengths about mocking governance work a lot better when the government is doing authoritarian surveillance state poo poo and warmongering than not doing anything at all and killing people that way.

e: ^^ Or that.
dark times

have a Twitter thread of media personalities mocking people for daring to question THE SCIENCE

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1257621108980842499?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
if I drink a beer that's a year past its sell by date am I going to die

it looks a bit cloudy if that changes anything

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it tastes completely fine surprisingly, will let you know if I die

it's from one of those multi packs of mediocre beer that people who don't know what to get you for Christmas always seem to buy. I never get round to drinking them because normally I would go down the shop and get something I actually wanted to drink, but that's way more of a faff than risking death/disappointment by gone off beer right now

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

I've given a couple of those but I just buy actual beers off the shelf and tie them together with ribbon and then stuff some money in the middle.

oh I've got no problem with beer as a present, especially actually nice beer, and I appreciate the thought even if it's mediocre, but I would never normally choose to drink e.g. ruddles and the fact that it's a present doesn't really factor in to that decision

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

at least they're making them comfortable during their last few hours on this earth and letting them slip off gently into that good night, rather than stuffing them full of tubes in an ITU or leaving them gasping for breath and in pain in their own beds

oh wait no, they're doing the last one because drugs are bad mmmkay

https://www.rcgp.org.uk/about-us/news/2020/april/rcgp-calls-on-home-secretary-to-urgently-relax-rules-on-controlled-medication.aspx

quote:

Patients are experiencing 'unnecessary' pain and distress in the last days of their lives during the COVID-19 pandemic due to laws restricting the use of controlled drugs, the Royal College of GPs has warned today.

In a letter to Home Secretary Priti Patel, the College says that the NHS also risks running out of essential medications unless there is a temporary ‘urgent relaxation' of the legal restrictions that mean controlled drugs - such as morphine which is used to help control severe breathlessness and pain in patients - can only be given to named patients, and then destroyed if not used.

In the letter, RCGP Chair Professor Martin Marshall acknowledges that the law governing the use of controlled drugs is 'reasonable' in normal times, but that during the current pandemic, 'the increased number of patients with end-of-life-care needs is leading to delays in administering drugs to patients whose COVID-19 symptoms develop rapidly.'

He continues: "We are aware of incidences where this has caused significant and unnecessary distress and pain to patients at the end of their lives and their families.

"We are hearing that the requirement for these named prescriptions, combined with localised shortages of drugs and the pressure on clinical staff, means that in some cases patients who are sadly near the end of their lives can wait hours before receiving these medications. Furthermore, unnecessary wastage during this time may result in some people not being able to have the essential drugs to relieve suffering from end of life symptoms, at all.

"The Royal College of GPs is therefore calling for an urgent relaxation of these measures which would allow stocks of medication to be managed and used more effectively, safely repurposing drugs that haven't been used for individuals and have been stored correctly – currently required by law to be destroyed – to allow medical professionals to make the most ethical use of these crucial drugs during the pandemic."

The College is also calling for hospital pharmacies to be able to dispense prescriptions from non-hospital prescribers, such as GPs and hospices – currently not possible without a contract or licence. It says that this would allow for easier sourcing of necessary drugs and relieve pressure on pharmacies in the community.

Prof Marshall continues: "Our proposals are for changes to regulations which would allow the more efficient and ethical supply of these drugs during this difficult time, while seeking to guarantee patients dignity at the end of their lives."

He notes that proposals put forward by the Home Secretary in her recent letter to the Advisory Council on the misuse of drugs 'would not allow for the supply of these controlled end of life drugs where a patient's symptoms rapidly developed.'

He is calling on the Home Secretary to use the emergency powers allowed through the Coronavirus Act 2020 to effectively manage consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic, writing: "We believe that relaxing these measures would be a proportional and sensible adjustment to make for the duration of this crisis."

Commenting on why the College felt it was necessary to write the letter, Prof Marshall said: "Patients rely on medication at all stages of their lives, but when they are at or nearing the end of their lives, the medication they receive is vital for ensuring they remain comfortable at what is often a very distressing time.

"We have already raised with the Government the need for temporary measures to allow more effective use of existing stocks of medicine, and we need to see this urgently - bureaucracy must not be a barrier when patients are in pain or distress and at their most vulnerable.

"We're in unprecedented times, and this calls for unprecedented measures. More people are becoming seriously ill and we want to ensure we are able to give them the care they need and deserve. What we are proposing is a sensible and proportional way of facilitating this during COVID-19."

Dr Adrian Tookman, Clinical Director, Marie Curie Hampstead Hospice, said: "Watching someone you love die is hard enough, but thinking that person is also in pain and distress makes it worse. For those left behind it may mean that they find it harder to process their grief and find vital closure.

"As the nation's end of life care charity, Marie Curie fully supports the Royal College of GP's proposed change in regulations and we urge the government to cut the red tape to make this happen urgently.

"In these challenging times we must try and avoid a potential crises and preserve precious medications that are key for relieving painful and distressing symptoms in patients who are dying. Changing the rules will help GPs and hospices get better access to the medication they need to support dying people, while ensuring that vital medication doesn't get destroyed and wasted unnecessarily."

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Matt Hancock says he backs any police action against Neil Ferguson

Is this something that is actually remotely actionable or is he just chatting poo poo here?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

he's chatting poo poo

check out who is getting rehabilitated today

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1257969664560369664?s=20

yeah I looked at the legislation and it's leaving the place where you live that's illegal, not having someone round

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6/made

app mancock

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
BBC journo getting salty in the replies

https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/1257997289794174979?s=20

https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/1258001125439090688?s=20

am I reading this wrong or is he saying it's no longer important enough to go in the rundown of headlines because it's 12 hours old?

also if it's 12 hours old won't this be the first edition of today that could discuss it

e: I am not reading it wrong, it had been out for 12 hours and it's not "an exclusive" therefore it is not worth including in the rundown of the most important news of the day at 8 am

https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/1258003025538547713

tbf they included it at 6 am when it was still news, andI have to imagine that's when their audience is the biggest it is for the entire broadcast and not e.g. the square root of gently caress all

XMNN fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 6, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The only interpretation I can think of is that it's the chart's key, indicating that the UK death toll is represented by the red line

But... if that's the case... why is Italy not in the key? Or more to point, why is the text "UK" not simply next to its respective line, like "Italy" is?

I think based on the axes that the red line represents the official death toll up to the 4th of May (29,427 announced yesterday would put it over the Italy line) and the circle is the number of people who have died after testing positive by the 5th of May.

why those numbers are different, why they haven't drawn the lines up to the 5th, and why it's not better explained in a key or caption, are another set of questions

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Personally, I'm really looking forward to going back to working from the office full time in the middle of a pandemic, it will be great to spend all day worrying about catching the loving virus while making other people money but also you still can't do anything fun in the evenings.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Renaissance Robot posted:

Because the dot at 32k includes some number of care home deaths, which are not included at any point on the line. If they joined the May 5th dot to the line, it would look like there was a huge overnight spike in deaths, which there wasn't. But they also can't redraw the line to factor in the additional deaths because that would take guesswork on their part, and the line is drawn from official sources.
I'm a little confused, tbh

I think that the line includes data for care homes at least in England as it appears to be tracking the data from here, which "includes all deaths previously reported by NHS England, but also includes other deaths of patients who were confirmed cases, whether they died in hospital or elsewhere." after they changed it on the 29th

I actually think the title of that chart is very wrong, because the line would seem to include everyone who died after being positive

quote:

All the deaths data shown on this website are deaths of people who have had a positive test result confirmed by a Public Health or NHS laboratory.

The data do not include deaths of people who had COVID-19 but had not been tested, people who were tested positive only via a non-NHS or Public Health laboratory, or people who had been tested negative and subsequently caught the virus and died.

Deaths of people who have tested positively for COVID-19 could in some cases be due to a different cause.

it looks like the higher number is a "reuters calculation" of the ONS numbers for England and Wales (which are based on COVID on the death certificate, not tests), plus other figures from Scotland and Northern Ireland, cf
bizarrely I cannot find the 29,648 number anywhere. The ONS website has 27,356 deaths in england and wales by the 24th and the download lists 26,013 for england and 1,285 for wales which add up to 27,298??

either way, the number they're using for the circle explicitly goes up to the 24th of April so I have no idea why you would put it as the data point for the 5th of may

I'm not sure if I'm being dense or if this genuinely doesn't make sense, and I should probably at least pretend to do some work now

also did you know the UK press is the least trusted in europe?

e: OK 29.648 is the number of people who died before the 24th of april that were recorded up to the 2nd of may, so I was at least partly just being dense (I was adding up the columns for people who had died before the 24th of april recorded up to the 24th of april)

XMNN fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 6, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
to be fair, the UK is near the bottom on all of the charts in the report so we're generally fairly distrustful, but that is still the highest distrust score for all sources listed and by far the worst for traditional media

44% trust and 43% distrust radio
37% trust and 55% distrust TV
19% trust and 67% distrust "the internet"
11% trust and 72% distrust social media

you have to sign up to the ebu to download the report for some reason
https://www.ebu.ch/publications/research/login_only/report/trust-in-media

do I get to be a eurovision judge now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
For what it's worth, it looks like the data came from this Eurobarometer survey and the question was

"I would like to ask you a question about how much trust you have in certain media
and institutions. For each of the following media and institutions, please tell me if
you tend to trust it or tend not to trust it"

e: google says boris is 1.75 m which is 5'7.5" but it also says trump is 1.9 m which is 6'2'' and now I don't know whether I can trust the internet anymore

e2: I think it's 5.75' actually, for some reason Google has not implemented feet and inches and now I definitely don't trust the internet

XMNN fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 6, 2020