Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Of all Icke’s wild theories the notion that any of the global ‘elite’ have any kind of plan is perhaps the most laughable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Question IRL posted:

A new TV series called Upload is on Amazon Prime.

In it a computer programmer dies and has his mind uploaded to a virtual afterlife.

He discovers that is a tiered system which is built around Premium transactions and packages.

When he explains that this is all bullshit because it is just 1's and 0's he is told "this is capitalism." He vows to destroy the system and build a better one.

Only four episodes in, but it seems pretty good.

https://youtu.be/IFe9wiDfb0E

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

justcola posted:

Isle of Wight is the test bed for the governments new 'track and trace' app.
lol are they still planning to ignore the API Apple and Google came up with for this specific situation in favour of their own one that a) runs down the battery, b) isn’t anonymous and c) doesn’t work?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I look forward to both parties bravely agreeing that 'keeps people safe' is an important goal, Boris and Keir warmly shaking hands and smiling for the camera is recognition of the national unity at this troubling time. Then with that out of the way Boris can get back to forcing people to work in dangerous situations and Keir can get back to letting him do so.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

XMNN posted:

p sure the only way starmer is going to back ubi is if Johnson announces it first
Nah if the Tories announce it he'll say something like "let's not charge headlong into massive unprecedented changes" and everyone will nod sagely at his strong opposition

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

justcola posted:

For some reason I always thought it was just shown in front of a set of swings, never got that that was the frame for it.

Just had a flashback to some night recently where I accidentally started watching Have I Got News For You during lockdown. If you thought it was poo poo before then, boy howdy, listen in wonder as jokes about Jeremy Corbyn are uttered into a void without any tittering. Stand with your mouth and other orifices agape in amazement as they show YouTube videos from 5 years ago to no audience reaction whatsoever. Bliss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r72G-vD1Rnw
wait they're doing the show over videoconference for real? I saw a picture of all the monitors sat around the HIGNFY set weeks ago and assumed it was self-satire, "can you imagine if we tried to do a comedy panel show like this?". loving hell.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

And since they're now bailing out landlords directly there's no point in giving money to the tenants. Much more efficient this way.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pesky Splinter posted:

Keep forgetting Brexit is "happening" later this year. :lol:

That's going to be a fun clusterfuck is they still insist on not moving the date, if the world is still in various waves of pandemic.
Another good reason to get the population used to accepting large numbers of preventable deaths every day

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jedit posted:

I'm right behind sacking her for buying a Galaxy S20 Ultra. What a waste of money.
Looks like an iPhone 11 Pro to me

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lobster God posted:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1258315481955565568?s=19

This has to be peak WW2 fetishisation. It won't be
VL day == Victory over Lockdown day? Not even fetishising it as Victory over COVID day? So loving weird man

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Well that's a lesson for life: you come at the superkings, you best not quit
:golfclap:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

justcola posted:

I'm not sure who they'll spin it against though as there's no class of people to blame in particular or weaker group to bully - it'll just be 'the nation brought it on itself' or some nonsense and by being lead to think we're complicit nothing will come of it. (I'm sure the media will find a marginalised group to blame though)
I think if the media vaguely blames it on ‘a percentage of the population who didn’t respect the lockdown’ everyone will quite happily fill in the blanks themselves with either an ethnic minority or teenagers or ‘that cow across the road’.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Days like VE Day make me glad my partner's Irish so she's possibly even more disgusted by Brits fetishising the war than I am.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The commonly held belief that 'once you're an adult and doing sensible adult stuff - jobs, bills etc - you'll put your silly, student, commie ideas behind you'.
More specifically, once you’ve accumulated some capital you’ll sensibly want to hoard it all for yourself rather than share it or give any away like a naïve child.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Long shot request, does anybody still have that tweet with the radio interview with some boomer arguing that she should be allowed her walk on the beach and the interviewer basically got her to agree that she’d rather die than stay inside for a while?

It was from a few thousand years ago, so like a month or two going by the old calendar.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cheers!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1259057482959290369

not sure if this already got posted but lol

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

namesake posted:

Nah gently caress this argument, we must keep borders open as much as possible in all circumstances.
Yea I don’t mean to imply I think they should have closed the borders, just their sheer transparent incompetence at accomplishing even narrow racist goals is amusing. Like, did they just forget that border controls were a thing?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Staying at home I can do but staying alert at home is a bridge too far. What do they expect me to do, actually focus on my Netflix movie? gently caress off

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/kevinfins13/status/1259421995386707968

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

They’ll reduce the furlough payments but start offering cash rewards to people who snitch on their neighbours for having a barbecue or sunbathing in the garden (stay alert!).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Well done! Did you already get your welcome pack explaining the guidelines for effectively perpetuating the Globe Earth and Evolution bullshit to the normie plebs? It might take a week or two for your first payout from Big Pharma to come through FYI

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I know satire is dead and everything but I simply don't believe this one. The only scene in which you see the product in question you can't see the faces of any of the actors so it could easily have been faked.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jesus loving christ gently caress poo poo loving gently caress gently caress

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Libluini posted:

How do you guys keep finding those blatantly evil persons? If I found someone like Frances Barbarian on Twitter, I would call the Ghostbusters to deal with this evil ghost impersonating a person
The Almighty Algorithm ensures that the most unfathomably horrific Twitter personas are the most signal-boosted and easiest to find

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Aggressively disable all push notifications IMO

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

How about we let the landlords be heroes? I'll clap for their noble sacrifice and everything.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Then it can be 90s/00s triangulation and state stripping forever as the world slowly boils, just like the Matrix.
insane optimism on display here

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh dear me posted:

But if you were pro-joining-Labour under Corbyn but now, only a few weeks later, are not, then I think you're just leaving the fight to other people.
I think this argument would have more weight were it not for the leaked report. It's myopic cunts all the way down and until there's even a vague plan for purging them to rally around then continued membership of the Labour Party is just throwing good money after bad.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh dear me posted:

I'm not arguing to 'endorse' anything. I'm arguing that people should use what one of the few means we have to change things, and my evidence that they can change things is that we started to change things. Then we suffered a single defeat and a bunch of people threw in the towel. I understood an emotional reaction was natural, and tried to bite my tongue. But the continuing "I'm so glad I threw in the towel, the rest of you have no hope of winning now" posts occasionally vex me.
I disagree with the framing of "a single defeat". The 2019 loss was a single event but the root cause of that event was an all-pervading rot infesting the Labour Party that couldn't (or more optimistically, wasn't) purged during the five years of Corbyn's leadership and is even less likely to be dealt with now Starmer is leader. I suppose you can say that choosing not to clean up this rot this is "leaving the fight up to others" but it's still not clear to me what "the fight" entails beyond being a nuisance, or why I have to be a Labour member to join that fight, or what makes that fight worthwhile.

As others have suggested, building parallel structures seems like a much better investment of time with more direct positive results for everyone involved.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As it's getting to the time of year where the subject comes up, Screwfix are currently doing a 12,000 BTU portable air conditioner for 300 quid. Someone will be along soon to say how one-box aircon is the work of the devil but ignore them, they're in the pocket of Big Window Unit.
It says it contains an ice box, is this one of those units that just blows air across a tray of ice?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah it's a proper air conditioner, I think they've just copied the spec over from a fridge or something (it comes with a vent hose kit which *isn't* on the list, for example).
Well it turns out there's none available at any store within 15 miles of me anyway :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

What's a svengali?
Not much, what’s svengali with you?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/Douglas4Moray/status/1265196839231533057

lols

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Chubby Henparty posted:

Dominic 'Stains
Dominic's Leavings

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

Why are there never any UK goons on voice late night. I'm drunk and want to talk to people to ensure my existence isn't entirely pointless. Hi!
IRC doesn't have voice chat :colbert:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://mobile.twitter.com/RussInCheshire/status/1265449109449777160

Amusing thread on the CumDom scandal

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol remember when we thought coronavirus would matter

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Disnesquick posted:

What's wrong with good faith debating with people with appalling views? I know a hell of a lot of lefty types who used to be full fash, on the basis of "liberals don't give a poo poo that my life is a train-wreck since 2008". A lot of people are too far gone but proto-fash absolutely should be saved from the clutches of the predator weirdos who seem to spend their days grooming young men into racists.
In addition to what others have said, there's several posters in this very thread who used to hold questionable views and have been won over through actual debate. But as has been stated, the overwhelming majority of the time the offer of 'debate' is not made in good faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/shiki079310ik/status/1267379152346218496