Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
And then there's God of War, in which the main character repeatedly tells his son to keep his expectations low, and then when I looked to see if there are any good quotes, apparently he won the previous game based on the Power of Hope. So I guess the moral is, even the mopey fucks saying not to hope are actually more hopeful than the rest of us, deep down, but are just being edgelord posers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

The number of tests has gone back down, but the target was for the end of April, not the start of May, suckers!

The government's own chart shows the number of tests back down to 76000

I'm impressed that this failure is the top story on BBC news, presumably whoever got left in charge of the website over the weekend will get a severe bollocking when the Monday to Friday bosses find out.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Angepain posted:

boris johnson is saint of country. by going around porking all the women he is giving them all babies. babies are what are needed to get will to survive. safe from coronavirus. babies for everyone. we will all be saved

I can only assume his ex wife used up all the strength from the other children to get through cancer after he abandoned her.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.thejc.com/comment/comment/one-stupid-tweet-by-owen-jones-confirms-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-hard-left-1.499433

You see, when michael gove collects books by holocaust deniers, it's not antisemitic, becaus he isn't an antisemite. When left wing people do basically anything, it's antisemitic, because they're antisemites.

Holy poo poo the intro to that piece: "For the past 4 and a half years, I've spent most of my waking hours thinking about Labour antisemitism and Jeremy Corbyn" And he's not joking, this has actually consumed this guy's entire life. I genuinely feel sad for him.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Necrothatcher posted:

love that redundant color chart

At least they haven't picked seven shades of red like the tories have been doing with blue for their briefing bar charts

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

XMNN posted:

Matt Hancock says he backs any police action against Neil Ferguson

Is this something that is actually remotely actionable or is he just chatting poo poo here?

I keep seeing variants of the chart in that guardian article, and it confuses the hell out of me. It has lines for the UK and Italy, and then a separate line and a red circle floating above the chart itself, but not actually connected to anything. The text implies that the circle shows the current total death toll, but why doesn't it join the line (other than "it would look bad for the UK")? What are they actually trying to elucidate??

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The only interpretation I can think of is that it's the chart's key, indicating that the UK death toll is represented by the red line

But... if that's the case... why is Italy not in the key? Or more to point, why is the text "UK" not simply next to its respective line, like "Italy" is?

e: wait no, i actually read the chart this time and it looks like the red line is the official statistic? and the red dot is the... gently caress it i don't care

Thanks to you and the others for joining in with the head-scratching. Thing is they had the same style of chart the day before, with the red circle way above Italy's figures presumably projecting for the next/current day as well, but then it didn't seem to match up with the next day's chart (in the quote). I'm sure they'll have another one tomorrow that manages to somehow put our deaths below Italy's (if we're not all too busy talking about poly otters).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

XMNN posted:

weirdly it looks like the number of tests being carried out is not 100,000 per day, dunno if they were like manipulating the numbers somehow or something over the weekend???

although I suppose it is no longer the end of april, so it doesn't count towards the target

And now Boris has said 200,000 by the end of May, so it's guaranteed they're going to stuff an extra 150,000 tests in envelopes on May 31st to hit the target on that one day, call the job a good 'un and have the media praise them for hitting the target yet again.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

XMNN posted:

looks like the 31st is a sunday, so this plan might not work so well

Even better - they can spend Friday and Saturday stuffing envelopes too and it all counts. And if it doesn't, then everyone an shut up because of course they wouldn't manage it on a Sunday, duh, stupid lefties!!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

learnincurve posted:

Oh it’s a good one. He accidentally logged out of his main and forgot the password, while waiting for all the password reset gubbins to sort itself out he created a new account and started tweeting some utterly abhorrent poo poo at Cassandra, and then *this* happened....

https://twitter.com/SazCaz81/status/1258526288555372544

If they did actually ban his main account they realised their "error" (accidentally holding a bluetick to account for what they say or do) and corrected it pretty sharpish.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is it just me or has the use of the word 'forensic' in conjunction with the word 'Starmer' reduced in the last week or so?

It was only in the big FT fluff piece 3 times, which I thought was remarkably restrained. But I think you're probably just not noticing at much - people don't normally just stop using their chosen buzzwords.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jose posted:

Its cool dan hodges gets himself trending on twitter either for being insanely stupid or being a massive oval office and has no problems with either

He has figured out the difference between "toll" and "rate"and is ecstatic that a few lefties have confused the two, meaning he is in the unprecedented situation of actually being correct about something for once. this is such a rare and unexpected thing that it's basically broke his brain and he won't stop going on about it. 50 years ago he'd be pestering his mum because he saw a dog do a white poo.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

TACD posted:

Staying at home I can do but staying alert at home is a bridge too far. What do they expect me to do, actually focus on my Netflix movie? gently caress off

Sleep with one eye open, if you see the virus, poo poo the bed.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Angepain posted:

i love the small pointer giving the appearance of precision. does 3 start at the bottom? is it at the center? the top? is the whole square 3? what exactly does (3.5/5)*(Covid not present) + (1.5/5)*(risk of overwhelming NHS) equal, anyway?

When they showed it on the telly it was actually moving up and down so there really is no way of telling what stage we're supposed to be on.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

big scary monsters posted:

Unless there's been new legislation while I wasn't paying attention there aren't, but there's a popular idea that you're limited to one hour of exercise once per day. The government seems to believe this despite them writing the law that doesn't say that.

I think it's just Wales that specifies people could only exercise once a day, so all this means is Bojo was telling Wales that it's his rules that apply to the whole country. Even though it doesn't work like that.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
You can now feel included when people thank all the doctors!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jippa posted:

That is so depressing. What does that person even get out of doing that?

A visit to the police station in this case.

---

I can just imagine the police shouting "Sir! Return to your home!" at a homeless person before arresting them, it's like arresting someone for resisting arrest.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Lt. Danger posted:

lmao outing your husband and teenage kids as terrible selfish people to win an internet argument

And it's Owen Jones who is, as ever, the real sexist for expecting the men in her house to do a bit of cleaning.

Good autocorrect: "sexist" corrected to "a exist. Thus stuff is LITERALLY KILLING ME!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Red Oktober posted:

Man, Gillian Anderson’s performance in A Streetcar Named Desire is so uncomfortably good. It’s streaming for free for a week from today on the NTLive YouTube. Go watch it.

If it's good enough for a Simpsons episide it's good enough for me

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's funny, this last week loads of people have been joking "okay I can't see my parents, but if I put my house up for sale and invite them around for a 'viewing' THEN it's okay", when in fact according to the govt's spokeswoman all you had to do to be able to visit your family is simply to contract the virus! And while most sensible people were thinking having a highly contagious virus meant you should be quarantined, it actually means you can go wherever you want (as long as you're a Tory, obv).

DC won't even get kicked off of SAGE for this.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Lol he came so close to saying it's right and proper we should travel when entering lockdown

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

namesake posted:

Dan Hodges is the only journalist backing the government on BBC right now lol

Yeah I left BBC1 on, I feel like I need to bathe in bleach now

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's a shame for Shapps that he comes across as a generally decent guy - it means that whenever the government has to send someone in to appeal to the masses following their own fuckups, he's at the top of the list. We should all get used to seeing him on these interviews.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Also the argument that his parents' place is his "primary residence" no no I mean the adjacent spare property - that is actually the primary residence!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Got the #peston brand in the shot jesus

LOL his face at the end

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 24, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Let me just ask 25 different questions at the same time so Boris can ignore them all

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Necrothatcher posted:

this feels like the bit in Columbo where he turns and says "and just one thing"

To be fair if all the murderers in Columbo just ignored him and walked off most of them would get away with it too

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

happyhippy posted:

All the motorway stations if they were open atm.
200 miles with no piss or eating stop?
There could be a pic of Dom sitting in a Greggs munching on a sausage roll out there.

The govt would just say that is acceptable - heroic, even - because you are allowed to go out for food. There's nothing they can't get around, if he was spotted in Barnards Castle, he had stepped out for medication, as is right and proper.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Communist Thoughts posted:

i think they're basically right

It absolutely worked for David Cameron but it's not the sort of trick you can roll out every time

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
This is like bad fiction where the swaggering bad guy makes their guest wait in an overlong fashion to show them who's in charge.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Saddest thing here is they (apparently? But not) infected their kid through their negligence :(

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
There was a meeting we had at work a few weeks ago where the one person who was always on everyone else's case, and never admitted any mistakes or her own failings said she always came down on herself really hard for any mistakes she ever made... But just like DC, she wouldn't accept that she had ever made any mistakes or could have done anything better.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Lol this woman earnestly trying to get through to him and he can't even understand the question.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
He gets minor credit for not saying "I have been clear" ad nauseum at least

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Gary Gibbon trying to sneak in a question that he absolutely was not allowed to ask there

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Amazed at how many people say Castle Barnard

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I think he's enjoying this now actually

Except at the end there after mentioning Mary

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
No you see he has a 16 year old niece and teenagers don't get the disease apparently

Brilliant father. Terrible uncle.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1266094620481662977

Lol that's two Philosophy Football shirts the Absolute Boy has been seen in now.

Fun reply:

https://twitter.com/LeeOliv83471219/status/1266243541845504001?s=19

I really want to reply with "don't sign your tweets"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Regarde Aduck posted:

Did you just not notice how the media acted towards him for 3 years? Did you miss a general openly telling everyone they’d coup him? Was the man who had a years long anti-semitism smear against him sabotaged? Yes.

Ah but you see Corbyn failed in the end so everything they put out about him was retroactively true and even if it wasn't it was justified because he did so badly. Why yes I do love the smell of my own farts.