Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

StarkingBarfish posted:

Thanks for relinking this, and thanks to Soylent Yellow. That place is making want to :homebrew:

I used to have a couple of those cornelius kegs in a fridge with tap holes drilled out the front in my student flat. We had a near constant 60 bottles/fortnight every fortnight on the go which between 5 of us was absurd. I should really find out what happened to the kit once I left.

I've used them a couple of times, and they're quite good. I started up again a few weeks ago after not having done any in years. I currently have about 40 litres of beer in various stages of completion. If you really want beer on a budget, you can get the startup equipment and first batch of materials for under £30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

As the inventor of the original cocktail puts it, it's currently at the stage where it's more humane to just use a guillotine.

It's rather telling that livestock is slaughtered with quicker and more reliable methods than people. The US execution methods (lethal injection, as well as the older mostly discontinued methods like the electric chair and gas chamber) just have so many potential points of failiure built into them that I can only assume they're deliberately needlessly complex. I think this is in part due to proponents of the death penalty having a compulsion to add a sense of theatre to the process. Something as quick and simple as a captive bolt gun or nitrogen asphyxiation wouldn't satisfy this need.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

communism bitch posted:

lol we're gonna have 40,000 dead before the end of summer aint we

Based on the current average death rate, we'll be over 40,000 in 17 days, according to the official statistics. As others have said, we probably blew through 40k a week ago in reality.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
This is definitely going to cause some tensions in the regional areas. A lot of areas away from the big cities haven't hit the peak of this outbreak yet, before considering a second wave. A wave of holidaymakers and tourists taking a partial relaxation as a green light to flood back to their second homes and airbnbs is likely to push it into overdrive. The Welsh Government in particular won't be too happy, and there are plenty of people around who are already on the verge of reaching for the petrol and matches.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Ash Crimson posted:

Does anyone else feel like that lockdown is slowly ebbing away?

For me personally, no. I'm living with my parents, and my father is 100% convinced that the virus is a death sentence. I haven't set foot inside a shop in a month, and my father wold build a physical wall around the property if the builders merchants weren't shut. My mother works from home and my father is on a police pension, so he's insulated from the economic implications and sees no negatives about being on lockdown for the next year if no vaccine is found. I'm expecting to be called back to work in the next few weeks, but it's not hyperbole for me to say I have a choice between quitting my job or living in a tent at the bottom of the garden. I work for a very small business that really can't function without me. My boss is being very accommodating right now and keeping me on furlough (while topping up the extra 20%), but it's inevitable I'll be needed back as things reopen.

As for what people are doing generally, I live in rural Wales. The locals are mostly playing by the rules. It's a holiday area with a lot of second homes and airbnbs, so everyone's waiting to see if any relaxation brings a rush of holidaymakers.

Edit: In 1935. Clement Attlee became leader of the Labour Party.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 7, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

Then there's the slightly lower mortality for smokers and slightly higher for ex smokers, which could be the virus never progressing to COVID, like say the smoker gets bronchitis or something, goes into hospital, tests positive for SARS-CoV-2, but recovers, because they never got an advanced form of the disease, or it could be a larger number of people who smoke who say they quit two weeks ago when they got the covids when asked.

It could simply be that a lot of smokers are simply not owning up to the habit. It wouldn't surprise me if after watching weeks of articles about ventilator shortages and triages in Italian hospitals, smokers are keeping quiet out of fear it would put them at the back of the queue.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Dead Goon posted:

I found a picture of the graffiti I mentioned yesterday:

My favourite comments to come out of the uproar are "Just jealous they lost 75 years ago." and "On today of all days".

Some sensible people did suggest it was done by English people just to stir up poo poo, but then it was pointed out the spelling was correct which counts out the natives of the town.

I'm assuming this is somewhere in Wales? Edit: Nope.

There are signs up all over the place around me, generally of the 'tourists go home' variety. There has been some actual graffiti like this on holiday homes as well.

For years, most of the graffiti would be in Welsh, but a few years ago they realised it was pointless as most English reading it would just assume it was an advert for the local country show.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 9, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Did he just tell everyone that he's lifting domestic travel restrictions? That's not going to be creatively interpreted in such a way as to see people flooding to the countryside and beaches at all.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
He didn't even mention garden centres. I thought that was supposed to be the hook to bring the Gammons around to the idea of opening up.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Lungboy posted:

Does saying staff "should" go back to work give employers clout to sack them if they refuse due to no ppe?

I would say that he's throwing a lot of workers under the bus with this, but he went on to tell them to stay away from the buses in the same sentence.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Was there some mention that he was expecting employers to take up some of the furlough payment burden? That's not going to cause a lot of layoffs at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I start working again in two weeks, so I predict I'll be doing it for a week before the next lockdown is enacted amidst blind panic as everyone collapses with illness all at once.

My prediction is that it'll take about 3 weeks for enough new cases to work their way through the system to the point where it cab't be passed off as a statistical blip. After that, we'll probably see the messaging switch to "We expected cases to rise, but our fully prepared NHS heroes are up to the challenge". By the time enough pressure builds up for a full lockdown, we'll be in deep trouble.