Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

We need to get the traffic wardens doing the Corona fines rather than the police. They're more suited to the skillset required. That lot on the bridge would all be done straight away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The difference I guess is like if the government said they were going to do a thing about I dunno ppe provision and labour broadly agreed with it as a good and smart thing to do right now, they should say so and get behind it because politicans agreeing about things helps some people to believe its actually the right thing to do rather than like add on a proviso where we get to criticise israel whenever we want if they want to pass it.

Rather than a policy decision that labour agreed with and say yes we think this will save lives, we won't block it but its like shutting the stable door after the horses have mostly already bolted they should still say yes but like this could all have been avoided if the country was fundamentally run in a different way.

I can't even tell the difference between what I've said actually.

Also Rentool might well be right, theres no evidence that lockdown improved anything. Because we did lockdown. Like we could have not fought the nazis, it could have been fine.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think Britains got talent should be replaced with britains worst lockdown offenders. David walliams presents a camply sardonic summary of this weeks contestants crimes, what they did and why they think its ok. Ant....... and....... dec offer tutting and gasping before simo cowell tells them they are total pieces of poo poo. Then that bbc professor that does numbers and jeremy vine do a virtual representation of how many people their actions likely infected and how many deaths they've needlessly caused.

Then we all vote. After several weeks, the winner gets to shake hands with the queen.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Scientists don't necessarily actually know how to run a country though do they to be fair.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The daily mail informs me she is a left wing campaigner and lives in a 1.9m pound house.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I honestly just think is weird how cross you all are with the BBC. Like you get to be smarter than the people that tell everyone what to think... Well done?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

There's a lot of poo poo talking in here right now.

Yeah Boris might gently caress it all soon but currently don't go out if you don't need to. The end.

I went out yesterday in contravention of the requirements to stay in and it was really busy. loving bastards.

Surely the death of black people can't be separated from the death of just poorer people?

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 8, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

That's how much an interest only mortgage would cost if you could borrow at the same rate as a bond issuing state.

You can't, but the state can, so the argument is that it should.

5.52m private rented homes x £230k average house price (in reality exciting rental opportunities are probably worth less than that, but that's the value the argument uses), gives £1,269.6b, current 30 year bond rates are 0.55%, so that gives a rough annual servicing cost of ~£7b, which over 5.52m properties is about £1,265 each.

What are the predicted knock on effects, i guess first of all on house prices, if the government buys every privately rented home in the uk at once?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

They might re-offend though. Letting them live sends the wrong message.

I guess if you've bought every private rental property in the country you've kind of made private rentals against the law? So they won't be reoffending.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

The sad fact being there are probably an awful lot of landlords in the Labour party. There are loads of otherwise well-meaning people who happen to own a house in addition to whatever their job is, which they don't want to sell right now but also don't want to live in, so they rent it out.

Old stats, last year I think, but 11% of labour MPs are landlords. 28% of Tories. 25% of Lib Dems but I think that means like 1 dude?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Mebh posted:

This describes me.

However I let my house out at a negative cost on the mortgage. After 2 years of renting my tenants are now buying my house at 19,200 cheaper than the price because their rent went towards my house price.

Ps. Please don't put me against the wall please please.

Also. Hl.

This sounds like tax evasion, you're defo going to prison.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Apparently the international arrival quarantine doesn't apply to France. That seems... Kinda pointless then.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm about 10 of 9 by now.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Why wasn't chukka allowed to be labour leader again? He was gay but then married a lady but had expensive bottles in his locker?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Everyone in the video is breaking the rules.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Cerv posted:

Corbyn was amongst those arrested at the Hyde Park protest today. Piers, the nutty brother that is.

imagine the headlines if Labour had won the 2019 election, and it was them in government imposing the lockdown now.

We'd have UBI and not care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

jabby posted:

I can relate to this, as my wife and I had a baby four months ago. But on the whole I think your brother is right.

For more than two months mine and my wife's parents have kept away. It's been gutting for everyone involved that they've missed out on seeing so much of the development of their first grandchild. But life and death is at stake here, not just of my daughter but of me, my wife and our parents. This virus can kill anyone, regardless of age. There is no safe exposure, once you contract it you roll the dice on your future.

And bear in mind, I work in the NHS. With Covid patients! I am by far the biggest risk to the health of my daughter and my wife (which feels awesome, as you might imagine). You might argue that compared to living with me, the risk from seeing her grandparents is negligible. But like I said, there is no 'safe' exposure. You can't contract the virus 'a little bit'. Every single time you come into contact with another person, you are rolling that dice. The closer the contact, and the more frequent, the greater the chances something horrible will happen.

I mean I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't constantly tempted to say 'gently caress it'. But honestly every time I find myself contemplating justifying a visit, in my mind I imagine another doctor telling me that my wife, or daughter, or mother, has died from Covid. I've been on the other end of that conversation so I can imagine it pretty easily. I picture myself hearing that and knowing that their symptoms started after I said yes to a visit, and that makes saying no pretty easy. I would wager your brother has had similar moments of "could I live with myself if this happened?" and come to the same conclusion.

BUT it's not all doom and gloom. Today we took our daughter to a nice open public space, somewhere quiet, and she saw her grandparents one at a time from at least two meters away for about half an hour each. We touched nothing, we took scrupulous precautions regarding hand-washing/touching faces, we are all completely symptom-free, so I'm satisfied that the risk WAS negligible in this instance. If the infection rate continues to fall hopefully we can do the same thing again, and eventually move up to closer interaction.

So maybe put something like that to your brother. But try to be sympathetic towards him. You see a visit with a low absolute risk, he sees himself being responsible for the death of his relatives.

Thanks for this good post (and for being a doctor as well I guess), it was important, well intentioned and i dunno nicely put. I dunno if it will help that other dude but its been immediately useful in a decision I've been wrestling with for the last few days. Thanks.