Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ms Adequate posted:

Aye, agreed. Wild how rapidly it went after he died.

Also, Praxcast: Appreciate that Euro episode last week, but also for the new ep how much time does Jamie spend coming up with the incredible similies he drops in each episode?

As far as I know he gets them off the cuff because he never does any research :v: I have a sneaking suspicion that he was cheating during the Toby Young episode though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Tuck you in, warm within
Keep you free from sin
'Till the milkman he comes

What does Mike Gapes have to do with any of this?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

baka kaba posted:

yeah I never got why people were so wild about her for deputy, like she'd really made her mark as a major figure. She'd seemed decent in education and she had a few good speeches, but her biggest thing seemed to be staring down Farage and telling him to meet her in the car park on national TV, which I mean, fair do's

I posted about this during the leadership election, but she was not decent in education. She said academies had their place if they could provide a good service to families and children. A lot of people in education that I know were extremely disappointed with her not willing to go hard on academies being poo poo (which they are).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

baka kaba posted:

yeah this is what I mean, I had a vague awareness of her saying some good stuff, but not exactly being a leftist dream candidate so it was weird to see people treating her like some heir apparent and giving her a pass on all the problematic stuff

was the academies thing after the whole "devour the private schools" conference motion, part of the walking it back, don't want to be too radical response? Or was that earlier?

Completely unrelated, afaik. The fight against academies has been going on for years and years and is completely separate from anything involving private schools. Academies are like this weird halfway point between state education and private schools, but the fights aren't really linked except that obviously if you're anti-academies you're anti private schools, but I'm sure there are some lib dem brain geniuses who dislike private schools but like academies or something.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jordan Peterson seems to have recovered??

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

gently caress off, how hard is it to say 'people shouldn't go to work if it isn't safe'?

Also Camrath you monster, I saw the chocolate orange flavoured fudge!!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Camrath posted:

Edit: Miftan, are you psychic or something? You posted as I was typing that up..

I have Very Strong chocolate orange opinions, as you may have heard.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Niric posted:

Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Great effortpost, enjoyed every moment. Isn't he the dude that essentially gives really scathing criticisms of heirarchy, personal freedom, how electing a government every 5 years basically makes you a slave, is basically an anarchist and then at the last second goes 'actually no liberalism will save us'?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Gravastars posted:

I don't think it enters these people's minds that cleaners also have a home they return to after work and clean themselves. Doing cleaning is not itself labour, but hiring a cleaner makes it so.

Cleaning (and childcare and cooking etc.) is ALWAYS labour and the fact that we ignore that when it's predominantly done by women is a bit telling. Both those things are done by women more often then men. It's just that as a society we've agreed that it's labour that doesn't need compensation if you're doing it within your own household, and the rich get away with not doing it because they're rich. If one spouse works 40 hours a week at some random company and the other works 40 hours a week raising kids, cleaning, cooking, etc. they are doing equivalent amounts of work.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Isomermaid posted:

It's loving telling though that the TERF answer to "cleaning is labour predominantly done by women for no wages regardless of if they are working full time" isn't "fairly distribute the household's cleaning duties amongst everyone" but "hire a poorer woman to do it for you". If your idea of feminism is content to throw minorities under the bus, and dispose of class concerns it's no surprise it also can't deal with the concept of trans people, and it's no wonder that more and more people see straight through it.

100% agree White Feminism is trash.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

bornbytheriver posted:

Afternoon, friends. TfL sent this yesterday, all sounds good as long as you've never been anywhere near any actual London public transport. :smith:

Can't wait to see how they deal with Covent Garden station.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's "as-live" TV. If you can tune a television to the same signal you need a license for it.

(If some clever dick mentions screen sharing I will post 5,000 words about the BT Tower in this thread, I swear to god)

Trin Tragula posted:

...yes, but what about screen sharing?

Don't threaten us with a good time, you tease.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

That was a really good post on the tower loads of stuff I never knew. Also I lived in Kilburn for a bit and there are some really good pubs there, I was told by a friend that back in the day they were all very heavily pro/anti unionist, with the high road being a bit of a demarkation. The Black Lion which still has a particularly famous ceiling used to have some very fancy windows or something but they all got smashed up when a massive fight broke out between rival groups. Also Mitchell and Webb used to drink there, which is the only bit of this anecdote I can actually confirm is true.

Agreed. Adam Buxton's podcast is pretty good.

The Black Lion used to be my local and I never knew this!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The whole logic about indefinite detention is so hosed up in the first place. As is banning asylum seekers from working and then blaming them for being a drain on resources.

More like Law (Human Rights): Cherie Blair, CBA.

Also no chemistry teacher. Was Andrew Szydlo busy?

There's logic behind indefinite detention beyond 'nobody with any power cares about you lol'?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

There's Bundists like myself and then there's like, ultra hasids in New York who absolutely spit the word.

Plus, and I've said this before, the word is such a broad loving category that it doesn't mean anything anymore. Under some definitions I'm a zionist and I'm pretty sure I hate the current Israeli regime and how the state was founded more than Coohoolin does.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

Aren't they breaking kayfabe there? I thought the peerages were for services to the country and donations to a political party were purely a coincidence

Nobody gives a poo poo anymore because they've got the media in their pocket.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

ronya posted:

The most startling thing in that editorial, really, is that the Home minister gets a column to talk all about her bill proceeding through the Commons, headlined in the Tory manifesto in 2019, rewarded with a romping victory, freshly passed its first reading, and then... doesn't mention it at all. Seriously - not a word on points, or systems that might be based thereon. She spends the entire column talking about LOTO.

It's almost as if the tories have realised that the can get away with whatever they want as long as they cast the other big party as crazy communists who will sell your nan to terrorists.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I submit that if this was true the Tories wouldn't be lurching further & further right.

This only works on the most surface level, briefest thought, a thought so short that to call it a thought is in fact an insult.

A very long way to type out "neoliberalism"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Turkish Delights are a far bigger outrage than Chocolate Oranges

:wrong:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Neither are as bad as the one time I tried halva which was like what I imagine eating a paper wasp nest would be like.

How loving dare you! Halva is heaven's own candy. (seriously if you don't like it try some sunflower based instead of the regular sesame based stuff, it's different enough that a lot of people like one or not the other)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Have the Israeli right claimed that Israel invented the Turkish Delight like they did with shawarma?

Turkish Delights have somehow not really made their way to Israel, possibly because Israeli Arabs and Palestinians already have a far superior dessert in Kanafeh.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 21, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I heard there was a war about the superior desert in Israel.

There wasn't, Israel only has one desert :colbert:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I was going with superior as in "big"

Also is there a reason it's a different colour on the Israeli side of the border on the satellite image? Like even the duney bit is like.. a dark grey colour. Looks like sea coal on the beach almost.

Nothing I can think of off the top of my head, but I haven't been to the Egyptian border since the late 90s.

OwlFancier posted:

I wondered that but it doesn't look like a photographic difference, the photographic oddities are visible on top of it. Wondered if it was some sort of agricultural project from the farms to the north.

There's not a ton of agriculture there fwiw, so it seems unlikely. Could just be pollution since the area is more industrialised?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Thanks for all the condolences back a few pages guys, I checked out of this thread for a bit since because I was way too angry, but your thoughts are appreciated.

Also how do I order this magical Goon fudge please, everyone seems to just know how to order it but I can't find a link anywhere. I'm sure I've missed something obvious but I will 100% get an order in if someone tells me how (and maybe put a link in your sig or something Camrath).

https://www.facebook.com/fudjit/ or just PM Camrath.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

happyhippy posted:

They are starting to get scared.
With limits that immigrants can't come in unless they are earning 25.5k, it won't be long until they force prisoners or job seekers to do this type of work.

They've already said there will be exceptions for food pickers, and I assume they'll expand that in scope and quantity whenever they need to exploit a cheap workforce for work that brits are willing to make their lives substantially worse for.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

bessantj posted:

So if a picker does have to quarantine I wonder if they still get paid and if they don't do they still have to pay for the bedroom in the caravan?

I think you know.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I'd try it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Genuinely thought this was a Karen meme for a second.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Dabir posted:

gross stuff

Please don't flapspost in the thread. We finally got rid of him and I don't care about his twitter bile.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So the only even vaguely sane thing that could come out of this dog and pony show will be him saying "Yeah I lied to the PM and I'll be resigning, it's all my fault", right? So what do we think he will actually do? I'm going to guess that he will say the words "Brexit" and "media elite" or variations considerably more than "Durham", with a side-bet on him going full "You won't have old Dominic Cummings to kick around any more".

Personally I'm hoping for a "You haven't seen the last of me!" maybe with a bit of "You'll rue the day!" thrown in for bants.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'd assume he's frantically rereading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality to make sure he's got the extended quotes right for his speech.

My money's on Maps of Meaning tbh

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

the only inherent difference between authcoms and ancoms is their attitude towards power, which is purely a strategic issue.

I'm no authority on ancoms but that's wildly incorrect. Anarchists view the way that society should be run as completely different from idiots like Galloway and even "good faith" authoritarian leftists.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

oh no

OH NO

I was just trying to come up with a very British insult like calling people "weapons" or "ornaments" or "baking sheets" and boy howdy did I make an error :negative:

I'm shocked you weren't already aware tbh

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I know someone with a strong Lancashire accent that taught young children in inner London, so you had all these Brazilian/Malaysian/Pakistani kids with northern accents running around and baffling people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I'm worried about Guavanaut..