Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Barry Foster posted:

if that's true then what's even the point in extending the lockdown? Clearly we can't hack it, and it's not like the government will make things more restrictive

I'm not sure if "people aren't listening so gently caress it, business as usual" is the reading you were going for here, but that's really not a great take at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Old pro wrestler Ricky Steamboat's real name is Richard Blood.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

As was pointed out at the time, they don't actually put their freedoms over death. They're just a generation of broken, spoiled infants who have no grasp of consequences or not being allowed to do whatever the gently caress they want, and bullishly steamrolling through any objections has worked for them until now, so what could possibly convince them otherwise? If they caught covid then they'd be screaming about how some millennial snowflake must have hosed up and given it to them until their final covid-filled breath.

As Dead Kennedys famously named an album: Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

stev posted:

Which lucky hero will be thrown into the volcano to appease the gods infected to appease the FTSE today?

Warhammer 40k used the idea of sacrificing 1000 innocent people a day to preserve the life support what's clearly the corpse of their former emperor as a grand horror.

Turns out reality was even shitter.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, try telling anyone out as trans that we moved past that being an issue in the 90s, I want to time how long they laugh directly at you.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

If your thirst for Cold War telecoms madness still isn't sated from that amazing post, please dig into the story of John Stonehouse.

Bullet points (and these are incredibly truncated, please read all about this man's absolutely ludicrous life): Labour MP in the Wilson government who eventually rose to the position of Postmaster General, became a spy for the Czechoslovakians, went to Miami, faked his own death Reggie Perrins-style, was found in Australia where he was investigated because they thought he might have been Lord Lucan.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

And it'd only be slightly less arduous than what Tokugawa Ieyasu actually had to go through.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Next, to cure racism, Starmer will ban the word "racism". Job done, forensic.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Miftan posted:

Turkish Delights have somehow not really made their way to Israel, possibly because Israeli Arabs and Palestinians already have a far superior desert in Kanafeh.

See also: baklava and basbousa.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Sleepytime Bear is going to get Mondale'd. He's even openly telling people not to vote for him.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So apparently the house a few doors down have been getting billed for our landline calls for the past few years, they told Virgin yesterday, and so Virgin are apparently coming to sort it out tomorrow.

Does anyone know what that's going to involve, and if the internet/TV connection is going to be affected at all?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Gort posted:

So it's an attack on the lockdown regulations themselves, effectively? Yeah, I could see that.

And it works even better because "Look, he had it, and ignored lockdown, and was fine, so shut up and get back to work proles"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

A Bangladeshi from an alternative timeline where they were colonized by Sweden.

I can't let this one go unappreciated :golfclap:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

To quote Thick of It: Like watching a clown run across a minefield.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

namesake posted:

I'm currently 100% okay with the Tory government going to war with the press to defend Cummings because that's going to be a messy civil war.

"The enemy of my enemy is also my enemy and watching them tear chunks out of each other is just a really good time" isn't as catchy but far more accurate.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah her big thing right now is lockdown was unnecessary and everyone who actually did it is a soft lefty sheep.

She also thinks the virus is NBD and wouldn't mind catching it to prove it or some stupid poo poo.

Can't imagine all that ket she done could have done much good to her internals.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I got for Impossible Missions Force on IMF.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Disnesquick posted:

At the risk of getting hit by the shrapnel of whatever the heck is going on here:

What's wrong with good faith debating with people with appalling views? I know a hell of a lot of lefty types who used to be full fash, on the basis of "liberals don't give a poo poo that my life is a train-wreck since 2008". A lot of people are too far gone but proto-fash absolutely should be saved from the clutches of the predator weirdos who seem to spend their days grooming young men into racists.

Cancel culture is one of the dumbest things ever and, whilst mainly a lib affliction, does creep into the left a fair bit. See e.g. the scorn heaped on "legitimate concerns" when the right is all too ready to give the appearance of listening. And provide their particular set of answers.

The problem with good faith debating with people with appalling views is that, for all practical aspects, it doesn't exist. Not on any scale that it'd prove a practical action anyway. Their ideology eventually slims down to "some people don't have a right to exist", and you cannot debate that. If you're down to the brass tacks of arguing for or against your life, there's no good faith debate.

As for the right winning people over by paying lip service to "legitimate concerns": that's because the right have no problems lying to people and telling them they have the answers.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Gonna need to be testing his eyesight a whole lot more now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surely with water the way you hit is going to make a pretty big difference?

At the kind of speeds you're reaching after a shockingly quick time, surface tension is turning that water into concrete, practically speaking.