Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

A new TV series called Upload is on Amazon Prime.

In it a computer programmer dies and has his mind uploaded to a virtual afterlife.

He discovers that is a tiered system which is built around Premium transactions and packages.

When he explains that this is all bullshit because it is just 1's and 0's he is told "this is capitalism." He vows to destroy the system and build a better one.

Only four episodes in, but it seems pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

non-weeders don't seem to get that other than with edibles it's self-titrating. If it takes you two hits to get the level you wanted to get to instead of ten, then that's better for your lungs and better all round. It's not like drinking a bottle of whiskey in one go

I will say that the tendency to breed 0% CBD strains isn't great, but that's a function of prohibition

Isn't there a problem with THC levels and the effect it can have on people developing early onset psychosis?

I know from my work (and I accept it is anecdotal) there is a lot of problems with young people with no previous diagnosed history of mental illness developing it af tr er having used high THC cannabis.

I don't think that Weed is causing it, they were always likely to develop it. But it is being activated earlier and more severe from use of weed.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

What would happen if we all just started using Ireland's app instead?

It's fully decentralized, so it's not like it wouldn't work if two people with the app were near one another outside Ireland, unless they've put something in to limit installations.

I have to be honest, I didn't know that Ireland was developing or planning a Contact Tracing App until I read this post and started Googling.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

This is a level beyond forensic. I call it fivensic.

THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORENSIC!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I assume everyone has seen this.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1259804332834332672?s=19

Impressive explosion of FIGHTING SPIRIT by Piers Morgan. Also it's being liked by Owen Jones and Comedian Sarah Silverman?

Wow.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

zentigeist posted:

Ehm did you hear that? It's the sound of our boy Elon being a REBELLIOUS VISIONARY as usual.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1259945593805221891?s=20

Got to love the rona bringing out the worst in the billionaires. As if a plague wasn't enough we all have to deal with their idiotic babyish business plans. loving kill me.

If he is arrested, I am sure he will just argue that what he said on his Twitter was a figure of speech and that he shouldn't be held accountable for it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

A friend of mine and I were talking about this on Twitter.
There are a couple of court cases from the 16th century where points of law were so obviously wrong that we still know about them. This case sounds like one of them.

The fact that Judge commented on it sounds like even the judge it is in front of was prepared to throw it out, or at least knows that it is a no hoper of a case.

There's a number of reason why the CPS is going ahead with it
(The police don't like the guy and are insisting he be charged.
Whichever lawyer for the CPS in court didn't want to make a call on having this lemon of a case and wants to kick the decision to someone else in the chain.
Someone is letting their pride get in the way of admitting that this is a mistake.
Someone has found some really weird precident to support this case.)

Still without being a part of the case, I can't do more than speculate.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jippa posted:

That is so depressing. What does that person even get out of doing that?

I think it goes without saying, but the vitriol in that Tweet is what is so shocking. Even more so than the awful, hate filled words.

Like there is so much directed, hatred in what is said there. However there is also a lot of anger. And you kind of in that case have to look behind those words to see why is that person so angry.

The Guards over here have said that they are investigating the incident here and a teenager has attended for a volentarily, cautioned interview. (Which means that he voluntarily went to a garda station to give his version of events. Probably without a solicitor present.) At this time no criminal complaint has been made so he hasn’t been charged with anything yet.

See News story here.

But as awful as what he said is, for a teenager to say that sort of stuff, I have to imagine that there is a lot of other bad stuff going on in this kids life. With a bit of luck, maybe there can be a positive end to this story.

Paul.Power posted:

I don't get it. Maybe the Marches are a bit short on beaches but there's plenty of nice countryside you can go to? Hills and stuff. What's so special about the beach?

(feeling vaguely like a reverse Marie Antoinette now. "Let them visit hills!". But at least the hills exist)

So, funny thing about that Marie Antionette quote. The French for “Let them eat cake” is “Qu'ils mangent du gâteau.”
But what she might have said was “Qu'ils mangent du brioche.”

Now Brioche is a type of sweet bread, and could be translated as cake. But it’s also something that is really cheap and easy to make and has been for quite some time. (As long as it doesn’t have chocolate in it, that’s what makes it more expensive.)

In which case, if she really did suggest that the starving people go for Brioche instead, it’s not quite a tone deaf suggestion as you might initially think. It’s not on the level of saying “if people can’t afford the bus, why not buy their own car.” As it has gone down in history as.

I suspect part of the reason for that is that she was
A) A female head of state
B) A female, non-French born head of state
C) Was executed
So there would be a tendency for historians to re-write her into an out of touch, simpleton to best legitimise themselves.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Niric posted:

It's Tuesday afternoon, it's lockdown, our bosses can't see us skivving, so are you all ready to learn some motherfucking poo poo about goddamn eighteenth-century literature and its relationship to popular culture through history Yeah you are.

Cool post. That was enlightening.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

CancerCakes posted:

Wriggle accomplished. Starmer still thinks he is in a court arguing with a lawyer, while he is actually in the circus arguing with the clown. The clown doesn't care if you make him look stupid, or point out he is incompetent. The only thing the clown cares about is that people are looking at him and not you.

So today the Irish High Courts decided on a case brought by Gemma O’Doherty and John Waters.

I won’t bore you with the background, but they used to be important journalists. Then in recent years, both got the brain spiders, went mad and spouse conspiracy theories about how the Gays/Non-Whites are trying to take over. They both had failed bids at running for High Office and ran with Trumps playbook of attacking the establishment.

They launched dubious High Court proceedings challenging the laws the government introduced over Covid-19. They represented themselves. Today they lost the case.

In the courts Judgment, the court had a fantastic closing paragraph.

“The applicants, who have no medical or scientific qualifications, in their Statement of Grounds and submissions to the Court maintained that the figures in relation to the number of persons infected with Covid-19 and number of deaths were overstated. Further, the applicants submitted that the first named respondent was following “fraudulent” science. No factual basis nor any supportive expert opinion was desposed to, to support this. Rather, in court, the applicants gave unsubstantiated opinions, speeches, engaged in empty rhetoric and sought to draw an historical parallel with Nazi Germany. Such a parallel is both absurd and offensive. Unsubstantiated opinions, speeches, rhetoric and a bogus historical parallel are not substitutes for facts;”

And I think that’s where Staimmer is failing.
In Court you can’t use those tactics and win. But you can in Parliament, since this is a post-truth world.

Of course Tory blue ticks cheer on Staimmer as a credible opposition. They know that he is playing the game with an outdated copy of the rules that isn’t going to work.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Francis Barber: How dare you criticize me! I'm going to fire my cleaner over this, but it's all your fault!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Cerv posted:

on first scan read that as Johnson was hospitalised for his obesity

You jest, but that's probably where a lot of this comes from.

So many of the Torie hacks were talking about how BoJo was so strong and virile that they were shocked when he was laid low by a virus. (Showing the mindset that being sick comes from weakness.)

BoJo was probably told to lose weight, and it has been amplified back to him that he only became sick because he hadn't dieted enough. So diet he shall. And (like in many families) if he has to diet, then EVERYONE must suffer.

There is a very long topic and discussion to be had on obesity, how society views weight, the guilt and shame spirals around it and how it's unhealthy for everyone and feeds into the diet industries hands. But that is a topic for another time.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jedit posted:

The left are naturally divided because they believe in the equality of all individuals and the right to independence of thought. The right are unified because their leadership demands conformity of thought and subjugation of individual will. Discuss. (10pts)

A politically minded friend of mine summed it all up in one quote.

"The Left are always looking for traitors. The Right are always looking for recruits."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

XMNN posted:

pizza burger (serves 2-4):

0. get really high and/or drunk
1. get two frozen margherita pizzas and oven for like 80% of their cooking time
2. fry 4 burgers and onions and maybe some bacon
3. take one pizza, cover in burgers, onions and maybe some bacon
4. put loads of that plastic shredded mozzarella on top
5. invert the second pizza and apply to the top of the first
6. return to oven for a few minutes
7. chop into quarters while trying not to think about the river of grease flowing across the chopping board

I wish I could find the picture of it, it was delicious

I remember having this years ago at a game of Deadlands with my RPG group. I was the only person able to eat two slices of it.

Essentially it is a burger that uses two slices of pizza for the bun.

Good eating however.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I'm not sure I am digging this new reboot of BMX Bandit and Angel Summoner.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

At least people are calling him out on it.

https://twitter.com/daraobriain/status/1262363091611852805?s=21

There was another great tweet from this morning of a Historian giving multiple examples of how Lord Ashcroft was wrong, but sadly I can’t find that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Of course skin hunger is real. The skin is the best part. So crispy.

Very often the wife and I will fight over who gets the eat the part with most most skin left on it....

Wait, just to confirm, we are all talking about BBQing chicken here, right?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

God I want roast chicken with the skin on now.

Since more stores opened in Ireland yesterday and I had to bring the wife to Specs Savers, I was able to stop in M&S for the first time since the Lockdown started.
Sadly they didn't have some of the GF stuff I wanted to get there, but they had the GF Spring Rolls and Quiche.

What they did have was a load of awesome Barbecue meats (like Corination Chicken flatties, Hoison Duck burgers and Posh Dogs.) They also have some amazing chicken stuff like the chicken drumsticks in sweet sticky sauce and the buffalo wings. I shall eat well this week.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Is her brother Wright? Middle name, Honourable?

(But seriously, I don’t know who she is.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

My issue with entertainment in cities versus rural living. (And granted I'm comparing Ireland to England here.)

Cities always have have more to do and a wider range of stuff. And it's almost always going to be more expensive.

But the biggest problem is it tends to shift people to having a certain mindset.
I live in the country and when I wanted to meet my city friends, I always had to commute out to meet them. Either by public transport (which is often shocking in the country.) Or later driving in.

But it was almost always a one way street. Very few of my friends would leave the city to come to visit me, until they started leaving the cities too.
And those that stayed in the city, only wanted to do city things.

I imagine that the way I feel about that for Dublin is about 1/20th the size of the problem with London.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jedit posted:

Incels aren't really interested in having girlfriends. They're more concerned that if they can't have girlfriends, nobody else can either.

It's the difference between all the Seven Deadly Sins.

Greed is about wanting things/possessions and accumulating them. IE someone who buys a box of twelve donuts.

Gluttony is about wanting things even if you don't need the thing. IE someone who buys a box of twelve donuts and takes one bite out of each of them before throwing them out.

Lust is about wanting a specific thing or person. IE someone who buys a box of twelve donuts, and they are all the Reese's Peanut one.

Envy is about denying someone from having something else. IE the person who buys the last box of donuts, so Carl can't have any.

Wrath is about anger and destruction. IE the person who sees that the donut store doesn't have any Fudge Brownie Cake donuts left and wrecks up the joint.

Pride is what we call vanity. IE the person who goes to the donut store to Instagram themselves buying a donut. Than throws it away.

And lastly there is Sloth. Which is...you know.
The thing where...

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 20, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I saw this on Monday. Justin Whang had a video up about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYjfow0MikA

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

I think the description for Envy here is really for Greed.

Envy is when you want what someone else has - you are envious of them.

Jealousy/greed is you have it - the dragon guards its gold jealously (but is envious of the gold you have)

But with Greed, it's about the item and acquiring it and keeping it. The dragon wants that gold and when he get's it, he will obsess over it.

With Envy, you are envious of the gold that someone else has. But once you take it off them, you don't really care about the gold. You throw it on the pile, because you got what you want. (Namely taking the gold away from that person.)

Greed is about having it all. Envy is about taking it away from you, even if you are left with nothing in the end.

Of course one sin can very much crossover with another sin. A thing can be another thing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

I think that's spite. I am envious of Joyce DiDonato because I should like to be able to sing like her, not because I want her not to be able to.

It’s a good point there. I suppose Spite is a subset of Envy.

That being said, even to use your analogy, your envy isn’t really over Joyce’s singing voice. After all, there are many different singers with many different voices. Her singing voice is merely a target, but not really the goal. It’s about one specific singer, Joyce and that they would be the target of your Envy.

I suppose that’s another key distinction between Envy and Greed. Greed is about the item being acquired.

With Envy, it’s more about the person being targeted, over whatever is being taken.

At least, that’s my interpretation of it.

Taking it back to what started this discussion, I think Incels are motivated more by Wrath (Anger at what they perceive is a system of human contact that they are not getting.) and Envy (which is directed at women that they perceive have control of sex that they do not have.)
It’s not Greed or Glutony which would be sated if they had sex, I think.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 20, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Last week I noticed that my dog had a bunch of swelling around her muzzle.
I couldn't figure it out, but it looked like she was having an allergic reaction.
I called the Vet and they said it would be at least €75 since it was a Sunday. Or I could wait until Monday when it would be €45.

I ultimately brought her down on Sunday and paid the extra money.

The Vet said she had anaphylaxis likely from a Bee sting and if we hadn't gone down her throat could have closed over and she could have died. The Vet said we made the right call.

If you can being her down tonight I would. Your cat will probably be okay if you can't, but you will feel better if you know that you did all that you could do.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah he has been banging this drum for some time.

https://www.thejournal.ie/wage-subsidyleo-varadkar-5083689-Apr2020/

Like he’s very clearly got the Tory* thing of “someone, somewhere might be getting something that I don’t think they deserve.”

So far they have tried to do the whole “we can’t afford to keep doing this. We should stop.” But I don’t think that the Irish people are willing to go for it. We aren’t leaning heavily into “we must open the economy to make sure numbers go up.” Even though they are trying it.

*= Which makes sense. He did try running a program about how Ireland should be for the people who get up early, and not the scroungers.
He also has that West-Brit bootlicker thing going on, as came up during the whole “Commemorating the RIC/DC/Black and Tans thing.”

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Cross posting this from the Irish Politifs thread, and because we were talking about Leopald a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/WhispersNewsLTD/status/1263778628413779969

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I know that British journalism is a pretty low standard. But please tell me that for this story they are using that clip of Cummings running out of 10 Downing Street as part of this story.

To make it look like he immediately ran out of Downing Street straight to his car and drove 240 odd miles.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Thanks for your kind words. Yeah it's all so complicated with this and then there is the standard misinformation spreading everywhere on the back of it too. Unfortunately the police have actually remanded my cousin in custody until a court appearance on June 19th for 'peverting the course of justice' by 'falsely accusing persons of rape' despite the fact she was beaten so badly she was in intensive care and her attackers tried to cut a finger and a breast off. At least her attackers can't get to her in the meantime I suppose. Maggie Oliver, the detective who was whistleblower on the Rochdale cases is getting involved which seems to be a good thing though it'll probably turn out she believes in muslamic ray guns or something.

If your cousin is in custody, and you believe that there is a concerted police action against her (such as threats to charge her with making a false accusation as a barging chip into getting her to withdraw her rape allegation) then there are some things you can do to help.

See if you can make copies of any information she has that corroborated her story. You don't have to destroy or get rid of information, even stuff you think harms her case. (In fact doing so could make you vulnerable to a prosecution for perverting the course of justice.)
But if you can make copies of emails/photos/texts/videos that should help. If your cousin had to attend the hospitals with injuries, try and get and keep records of that. Her being assaulted and hospitalized can be evidence that she wasn't just making up a rape allegation.

Your cousin will need to get a solicitor and a good one. If you are worried about their being a conspiracy, consider going outside the local area and enlist a solicitor from the next nearest city if you have to.

Lastly there are a number of charities and advocacy groups that help with women who are the victims of sexual violence. If needs be you can talk to them to try and find out who they recommend that can help.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gort posted:

I wonder what the actual game being played here is. I don't believe for a second that the oligarchs who own the newspapers give a solitary poo poo about one of the oligarchs in the government breaking the rules.

There is two reasons for this. Convenience and newspapers need money.

Cummings has powerful allies, but not powerful friends. That means while people will go to bat for him, if push comes to shove people won't sacrifice their careers for him if there is compelling evidence. And this scandal has compelling evidence.

The second reason is cold hard cash. Newspapers are bleeding money due to the lockdown. And this scandal is perfect newspaper fodder.

Years ago I worked for a Tabloid. An editor in chief from the UK branch explained their business model around the World Cup.

"Basically, every World Cup, it is my job to get the English football manager fired.
Why?
Because England Win the World Cup is a story.
It's a good story and it sells Newspapers. But for one day.

But England lose the World Cup? That's a better story. Because it sells Newspapers for days.
First is England lost. Then it is Why did they lose. Then it is whose fault is it they lost. Etc...
That's how you sell subscriptions."

And that is the model they are following with Dominic here. They have well over a weeks worth of stories on this ready to go. And it will help sell subscriptions to their website since that's the economic model newspapers need to survive the pandemic.

And in their target they've got the kind of guy who doesn't have powerful friends to fight back. Only some allies.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

darkwasthenight posted:

So far the journos have played a blinder waiting to release the second part of the story until half the cabinet had bent over ready for the kicking. There has to be a third part right? Photo of him there or something? I can't imagine them taking the shot if they didn't have a really solid chaser ready to go for when DC immediately denied it.

In my experience, you wouldn't necessarily run this as a story. But you would run it as a series of stories.
I'd say they have over a weeks worth of material.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

if Dom Cummings really has blundered right into an obvious trap literally everyone saw coming it might be time to reevaluate his reputation as some evil strategic mastermind

That's a thing about strategic masterminds (or at least self proclaimed ones.)

They tend to massively underestimate other peoples intelligence or willingness to do hard work. And are often undone by that.
Because if they did think their adversaries were worthy, they'd have to re-evaluate how smart they themselves were.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

stev posted:

It's odd that the right wing papers were talking about Johnson's illness/recovery like he was the loving second coming just a few weeks ago. Now they're acting like they've been waiting ages for the chance to stick the knives in.

Newspapers have been bleeding money. They need something to bring in readers.

This weekend, the Sharks can smell blood in the water over BoJo and DC.

And the number 1 rule in the tabloid industry.

If it bleeds, it leads.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Ouroboros posted:

Yeah I mean it's not unusual in the sense of being a lovely cheese student night, it was that juxtaposed with the weirdly posh clientele that made it noteworthy I think. You would often see people who had come from college formals or similar wearing dinner jackets and cummerbunds, and every time Jonny Wilkinson's drop goal went through (about 20-30 times per night) there would be a fit of drunken braying.

That very much sounds like a Hell designed by some very dedicated devils to torture me.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Fun fact, the actor playing Yuri is Udo Kier.

Udo Kier Stammer?

That reminds me, I have to preorder the HD Remaster of the first two C&C games on Steam.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

blunt posted:

Cummings is holding a press conference this afternoon.

Yiiikes

He's either going to do an offensive apology "I'm sorry if you were upset at what I did" thing.

Or even better, he will prepare to give a rambling speech explaining why he did nothing wrong and that you guys are too stupid to understand this.

As it is, he is already trying the "I didn't break the law" speech which every defendant who tries that fails badly.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Angepain posted:

the 30 minute delay is him and ten advisors who have been trying to coach him for the last five hours and aren't yet finished getting him to be able to pronounce the words "I apologise" without throwing anything at anyone

I'd say it's ten advisors desperately trying to explain to him that he can't argue his way to being right with the press, and that he should call it off.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

namesake posted:

Christ is he really villainising Monica Lewinsky?

How dare this woman report being sexually abused in her job! How dare she try and destroy a man's career over something he did.

No white man should ever suffer the consequences of their actions!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I had a conspiratorial thought in the shower this morning that maybe UK democracy been a sham for ages, and that the intelligence services have forever been in control of who does and doesn't get elected as part of an overall "interests of the nation" agenda and that they deliberately keep a stranglehold on the press to ensure people vote the 'right' way, and that they only let labour get in occasionally because otherwise it would be too obvious, but otherwise don't give a poo poo about democracy because the only thing that matters is britain's power in the world. Would make a good 'conspiracy-unravelling' film but the premise is slightly flawed by the fact that britain's power is in the toilet exactly because of the last 15 years of tory idiots

This was the problem with Mr. Robot.

Seasons 1 and 2 were all about how a shadowy cabal of the worlds elite had complete control of the world and had everything planned out.

Then in season 3 they had the main character basically say “poo poo Trump and Brexit prove that there is no master plan. No wait, it’s all part of their plan. Yeah, I got to stop it.”

Like it tried to ignore what was happening in the real world by keeping everything in 2015/16, but it was obvious that the show was dancing around the elephants in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

While I don't agree with her stance on Transgender people and I do think she is a TERF, Rowling is right that the Tweet is defamatory.

If the author wanted to make the post that Rowling had lost touch with a young audience or that her political views should be shielded from young readers, then it should have been worded differently.

As it stands, that posts makes Rowling sound like a nounce, and good luck trying to defend that accusation in court.