Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dell_Zincht posted:

Last night they decided to hold a party outside with a free ice cream van, :

But you get a free icecream!

(The icecream is also COVID-positive)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
how the gently caress is this not in the OP

https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1256218871385726978?s=20

e: also why does it look like Simpsons Eisenhower

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Still though, don't you ever get an urge to smoke some squidgy plastic hash and listen to the Prodigy?

E: I guess by 2003 prodigy were a bit old, but we still listened to the old poo poo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

I agree and am not a prescriptivist at all, but tongue-in-cheekly I think we need a replacement word, for situations like this

"That rollercoaster was so scary I wet myself!"
"Haha yeah me too"
"No I mean I literally wet myself"
"Haha yeah me too"

Should be good for a few years before it comes to mean figuratively as well :v:

I think people do this now colloquially just with short phrases like "no joke" "no lie" "forreal" or whatever your local equivalent is. I don't see much ambiguity in practice

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

Yeah that works, as I say my "objection" is functional, and as Bugman said above, humans will always tend to create a functional way to communicate.

Far worse than the forwards-pedant, who is at worst tiresome, is the reverse-pedant - like the guy who read the piece specifically about vulvas by a woman who was an expert on vulvas, and decided he needed to say "actually it's called a vagina", and wouldn't back down.

This is why I've adopted John Roderick's thing of pronouncing "pedant" as "pendant", and seeing how many fish I can reel in.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

josh04 posted:

If a friend tells you a humourous story about child naming it is always, 100% of the time, an urban myth. There is something about child-name urban myths which makes people determined to represent them as something they personally saw absolute proof of, despite them always being absolute bollocks.

it's racism, op

e: Number 12 Looks Just Like You

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

There's some racism in there in that the names considered 'chavvy' often have some degree of overlap with anglicized Irish names, but it's different in character to the urban legend 'black' names poo poo.

drat, the anglicisation of my Irish name seems to be high on the lists of "chavvy" names, TIL

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bionic vapour boy posted:

It's literally just almonds that have been soaked in water, its supposed to make the nutrients in them easier to digest. I don't really know how that's supposed to be massively different to uh, what happens when you chew them though? It's always struck me as Woo

The one paper I can see about it seems to suggest that all soaking does make you fart slightly more

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-017-1543-7

I mean it's possible it helps you absorb fractionally more nutrients, but 100% if you care about this you have an empty life

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Maugrim posted:

This is literally no-one with kids under the age of, ooh, about 20 fyi

One of my brothers has an 8yo kid, another brother has 3 kids under 6. Their lockdown experiences have been very different

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

basically a proposal to wipe out everything between Downing Street and Parliament

:vince:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

and replace it

:smith: ah nvm

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
High blood pressure being protective is maybe not that strange if you consider that a common feature of cytokine release syndrome is dangerously low BP that needs to be treated with steroids, IV fluids and vasopressors

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
What historian would have predicted that it would be the British left completely brain-broken by WW2?

Although of course, they were always broken

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol

https://twitter.com/RopesToInfinity/status/1258371614338670594?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Coohoolin posted:

If anyone's really bored and has a guitar they bought one day and then never got around to learning give me a shout, I can offer a goon discount.

Same offer, but I'll just laugh at your inability to economy pick while I atonally shred with no backing track

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's 2020, all drugs are suppositories now.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

. I would love to know what they spend all that time talking about :allears:

I assume there's just talking about their cars, and watching Fast and Furious movies on TVs installed in their steering wheels

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Apparently the Christians are clustering underground.

Using Tor to buy Bibles off Empire Market and proselytize to my Morlock congregation

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

To shreds, you say?

Tsk tsk tsk.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The 7-in-1 Instant Pot can be a pressure cooker, a slow cooker, a yogurt maker, and presumably 4 other things.

It's great, that plus an Aifryer does 80% of the kitchen work for me

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Paul Thomas in The Paper That Supported Hitler right on cue...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDuHXTG3uyY

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

What if conscientous objection hit a kind of critical mass? If millions of soldiers on all sides refused to get on the plane, and took the punishment for it, and in the process made the war unviable. It would come at personal cost, but I think notions of "cowardice" have changed since WW1 and each following war changed things further, with the draft becoming unthinkable in many countries.

If it becomes a thing on social media, and is boosted by the celebrities people look up to. Like that Muhammad Ali quote during vietnam, etc. that could also help remove the stigma of refusing to fight.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

yeah this is astonishingly UKMT

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
lmao that the Tory messaging is bad even Arlene Foster won't adopt it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Angepain posted:

i think you'll find they've already covered that one with their very helpful new slogan

Arbeit Macht Frei?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
gently caress would hate to be working in an NHS COVID ward in early June

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/richard_littler/status/1259745801200381952?s=19

:ohdear:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hot weather doesn't seem to be any sort of deterrent.

People will no doubt point to the slow spread of COVID in Africa, but you have to consider their relative air-travel isolation, sparse population on most of the continent, experience with Ebola and other outbreaks, and the fact that only something like 4% of the African demographic are 65+ (as opposed to 20-25% in the West).

Lagos is gonna get hit hard as gently caress pretty soon

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

If jeremy corbyn was leader of the opposition he would have killed and eaten boris johnson on the floor of parliament by now.

I think Corbyn might be loving it just as bad as Starmer if he were still the Shadow Prince. Or at least, that the British public has been conclusively proven to be loving morons who don't want good things

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

And then he would say that at PMQs, get monstered by all the media for Talking Britane Down and doing an ableism against a COVID survivor hero, and LAB would drop another 5 points

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

not really, you say what's right no matter how our idiot press and country react, Corbs is doing that

I don't think Failed Imagineer is saying that Corbyn is wrong to say the right things because then the wrong things are said about him. I think he's bitterly denouncing the state of our sorry society, rightly

VVVVV laffo

Yeah this.

I mean I could have phrased that better, I obviously think it's morally better to have principles and get crucified for them, than to be a political jellyfish. I just don't think the end result would have been much better. I also understand this is not new information to anyone here, sometimes you just gotta lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Prince John posted:

Could you be considered NFA if you weren't living on the streets but had been provided with temporary accommodation for the duration of the pandemic? That might explain the apparent inconsistency if so.

Seems like the prosecution would mention that specific address in that case tho?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I mean she wasn't the head of state any more than Ivanka Trump is the head of state of the US. Louis XVI was the HoS of the Kingdom of France.

I don't know if that's the best comparison, since Trump floated Ivanka as the next head of the World Bank, and she could probably convince her old lad to do almost anything (though the mind balks at what he might demand in return)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

All involved with Jimmy Savile too.

Maybe Jim was the last thing keeping British society together. Maybe it was like an Ursula K LeGuin story, and the perfect utopia of Britane could only be maintained by the presence of an apex nonce at the top of the food chain, tacitly accepted by the populace.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

He's seriously mentally ill and after being radicalised by the TERFs has completely lost touch with reality.

Daily reminder that it started because he lost a ball and developed a pathology about emasculation

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

justcola posted:

Start getting that toilet paper in now, you'll thank me in the 'summer of the dirty arse' as it will come to be known.

You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Skid

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
stay home, stay woke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3bUg8wsgVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dQMHBy3NvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp7eSUU9oy8

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

learnincurve posted:

My brain shut down and I started blocking blue ticks at “it gives them a sense of self worth”

PARKLIFE

sinky posted:

Does this mean the Irish Unification of 2024 is still on track?

It is assured

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bardeh posted:

When I lived in Thailand people I saw people who had trained monkeys to climb trees to get coconuts for them. If you owned that bookcase you'd need a bookcase monkey.

You mean a Librarian?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Propping open doors probably breaking a bunch of fire codes anyway. H&S Paradox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
BBC4 had a cool documentary/live concert with Slipknot the other week which was highly entertaining but also looked like it cost about 5 quid.

So what I'm saying is maybe they should just pivot to more Slipknot-focused content