Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

It's amazing how much tolerance there is for armed protest when the protestors are campaigning for the resumption of capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

if that's true then what's even the point in extending the lockdown? Clearly we can't hack it, and it's not like the government will make things more restrictive

It's a pretty disingenuous statistic as parks are the place you'd expect to see the least decrease (or potentially even an increase) in footfall a result of people actually following the rules.

The graphs on the actual report show no meaningful increase in footfall at retail, grocery & pharmacy, transit stations, or workplaces.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It is four weeks since I was elected leader of the Labour Party. In my acceptance speech I made a commitment to the British people: that I would do my utmost to guide us through these difficult times, to serve all of our communities and to strive for the good of our country. I stand by that commitment.

I said in that speech that we would have the courage to support the government when it was doing the right thing. That is why we supported lockdown, why we supported its extension and why we will support the government later this week when lockdown is reviewed. Saving lives and livelihoods must be our first priority.

But, as I also said four weeks ago, Labour must have the courage to challenge the government when mistakes are being made. The government went into this crisis unprepared and have been behind the curve ever since: too slow to enter lockdown, too slow on testing, too slow on personal protective equipment, too slow to set out an exit strategy.

We need to learn from those mistakes. We cannot be as unprepared for the next phase of this crisis.

That is why I called on the government last month to publish an exit strategy. Not for the lockdown to be lifted, but for a national strategy for how businesses, public services, communities and families could plan and be supported for the future. I welcome the government’s commitment to now do that.

But this cannot be written in isolation. Nor can it be done without an honest conversation with the public. There are no quick fixes to this crisis. We are in this for the long haul. The British people have made huge sacrifices and if we are to take them with us, then they have to be part of the debate about what comes next.

I want to see a national consensus, building on the expertise of business groups, trade unions, public services and other relevant organisations. And I want Labour to be a part of that conversation.

Today I have set out the seven core principles for the government’s exit strategy. These core principles are designed to ensure businesses, public services and communities are supported and kept safe in the weeks ahead.

That means ensuring robust protections when people go back to work or use our public services. A massive expansion in testing and tracing. Having a structured approach to easing and tightening restrictions. And building the NHS’s resilience for the winter.

A vaccine will of course be critical to ending this pandemic. We are unlikely to see one developed for many more months, but it is imperative that we start work now to build the capacity and infrastructure required to distribute it when it is ready.

These are the principles that I will be taking to the prime minister when we speak later this week. And these are the arguments I will be making on behalf of the British people.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
North west London claps furiously and bangs on pots for the NHS but does not give a single gently caress about VE day.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/edwardmalnick/status/1259219157754806273

Get Virus Done

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

pitch a fitness posted:

The choice to use the pattern of traditional hazard tape but not the default hazard colours has to be deliberate. But why - what could they be priming us for?

The stripes are more West Brom away than Norwich I'd say

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I know Tories are congenitally incapable of not having a faction war, but it seems a bit weird. They put him in charge and he won them a massive landslide less than 6 months ago, it can't be coming as a shock to the cabinet now that they exist to rubber stamp whatever Boris wants to do.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Trin Tragula posted:

My thought when Boris won the leadership was always "he's there long enough to get Brexit done and take all the heat for the immediate pain, and then he's out on his ear as soon as someone thinks it's safe to go for it". I think it's most likely that the challengers will spend the rest of this year elbowing for position before going for it next year (or the year after, if it takes that long to sort out Covid), but I won't be surprised if one of the semi-outsiders pulls the trigger this year on Theresa May-style "this is the only chance I'm ever going to get to be Prime Minister so I'm just going to go for it even though it's a really difficult time to be in the job" thinking.

Even the idea that there would be challengers seems very odd. You'd think even the far right of the Tory party would have enough self-awareness to realise that the entire reason they're in the loving cabinet is to do what they're told. They did not win the election, Boris Johnson did. He is effectively Blair in 97 except there's not even an equivalent Gordon Brown figure involved.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The newspapers literally just made Boris Johnson prime minister. Unless they're convinced corona is going to absolutely ruin him irredeemably to the electorate I really struggle to believe there's much conspiracy within either the tory party or the press to get rid of him (above just their baseline level of backstabbing).

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Remember when we all thought Boris Johnson was going to die

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Starmer's hair is impeccable, someone is getting in on the illicit underground haircut network.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Can I legitimately go and see my parents if they hire me as a cleaner?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DannyShawBBC/status/1260498956733353986

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

bornbytheriver posted:

that woman is a nutter

https://twitter.com/VictoriaPeckham/status/1260609700330196992

Imagine writing this because you can't be hosed to do your own housework

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I can't find any confirmation of this beyond this random account but I will be sad if it's true

https://twitter.com/TVZone_/status/1260857383653462021

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
So if I watch illegal football streams without having a TV licence I'm breaking the law twice?

Unless I limit myself strictly to 3pm games on a Saturday.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
From The Times

quote:

Boris Johnson is preparing a “much more interventionist” drive to tackle obesity as part of the fight against coronavirus after his spell in hospital with the disease.

I'm excited to learn what this will look like

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Good
Good
Good
Bad
Largely good

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Enjoyed the BT Tower post, good to know why it ended up in Camden. The ways that modern London has been shaped by running it as 32 completely separate fiefdoms that mostly refuse to speak to each other is really interesting.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Jay Foreman did a couple of good videos about this:

but the rot is much older, there was massive ll-will between (the councils of) relatively-prosperous, Liberal-dominated Stepney and poorer ILP and Communist Poplar, for example. Urban legend has it that Poplar Town Hall is located right up at the north end of the borough so Poplar councilors wouldn't have to pass through Stepney to get to the LCC (it's not, but it's still a bit of a mystery how it ended up there)

I enjoyed these. The fact that it sits across the border of 3 boroughs explains a lot about why Finsbury Park gets perpetually and (seemingly inexplicably) neglected.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Organ donation went opt out today which is good
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52711267

This can only help me with obtaining the 19 extra organs I require for ascension to the ranks of the space marines.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

A single barrel of Nuln Oil would cost about £32k so this makes sense.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
how many fridges away is durham?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
To be honest I'm not sure I get what's so bad about what Cummings did given that supposedly both he and his wife had severe coronavirus and a small child. Like, surely either him going somewhere or people coming to him constitutes essential travel in the circumstance?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Underthecranes/status/1264096601351520257

:toot:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Twitter is not real life either, but Kuenssberg has been getting an absolute kicking from prominent blue check journalists of every stripe for the last 12 hours. It's not exactly limited to just here.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1263932111255453696

The Daily Mail's deputy political editor, I'm not sure how well the wagon-circling is going to work.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Does Cummings have evidence of Boris doing actual House of Cards level criminality or something? I don't get it at this point. Surely he could find some other adviser to do his job for him.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Four and a half years is a very long time and this will be nothing more than a distant memory at that point. But it could well be important in kicking off a general narrative of Tory sleaze and corruption that rolls on for years.

Personally though I am very sceptical of the idea that Boris Johnson will still be Prime Minister by the time of the next election.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm 99% sure the FT described John McDonnell as going on a "charm offensive" with the City at one point too

/edit:
https://twitter.com/ftfinancenews/status/1007457940654215168

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

gently caress I hate AAPI (As A Parent I) brain

My mum's going spare that she hasn't seen her first and only niece since March, my brother flat out refuses to let her come over. It's not even like he's being consistent about it either, since he's being going to work this whole time, and he's not doing it out of concern for my folks, it's specficially cause he's worried that his daughter (born just before christmas) will be put in danger by them visiting.

I know she's his kid and it's ultimately up to him and his wife, and I know my folks don't just have an automatic right to interact with their grandchild, but just spoke to Ma and she was in tears. Really want to speak to him but know that'll only make it worse, he's a stubborn and often irrational fucker who will only double down if I do.

It's like, if he's not going to let anyone interact with his child until this is over, then she's going to be two by the time any of us get to see her again. I've only met her twice, ever, but it's so much more important to Ma than it even is to me, and it's just so pointless and arggh

I know, lockdown and that, but my folks don't go out otherwise, they've not broken the rules, they'd be the only ones in any actual danger whatsoever, they aren't going to then go anywhere else either, and they're so upset that they're missing out on these first few months entirely

Not to be a dick but this is every family? I mean except the Cummingses. If he is going to stick with it for years that would be mad, but we're still in the middle of the lock down and he's following the rules as they currently are set.

My parents haven't seen their two year-old granddaughter in two months either.

peanut- fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 27, 2020

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Keir Starmer has absolutely no ability to stop or even delay Brexit. Putting your name to a cause that just got your party wiped out at a general election would be an utterly pointless thing to do.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Interesting that Switzerland has been easing measures for weeks is getting almost completely out of lock down on Monday, after a generally lighter touch approach than us for the entire period. Schools went back weeks ago, though they did close them a week before we did.

I wonder in the final accounting how much difference various levels of lock down will be judged to have made. The results seem so random between different countries.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Some interesting stuff in the ONS survey today, though I don't understand it nearly well enough to meaningfully assess it. Based on their samples, they're estimating 133,000 cases in England between 11/05 and 24/05, with the asymptomatic rate being 79%. That's asymptomatic on the day of testing though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's been dry for a while but haven't we had massively above average rainfall for the last two years before this spell? I'm sure I read a couple of months ago that reservoirs were full to overflowing and groundwater was significantly elevated, and half the country flooded 6 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

What do you think the chances of them actually executing a no-knock warrant (or any warrant) on an armed white criminal are?

High. Not that American police aren't enormously racist, but they're generally happy to summarily execute white poors too