Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

There is *some* merit to these kinds of arguments. If only he had the rest of the bookshelf filled with writers and books which deconstructed these positions...

[edit] I am actually shocked at this. I suppose I shouldn't be but having a senior Tory's bookshelf be full of Nazi apologia and holocaust denialism does get to me. I thought they generally swam in a different kind of intellectual sewer but apparently there isn't a sewer that they don't fancy a nice dip in.

Munin fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Conservatism is, at best, one step removed from fascism, and oftentimes is barely discernable from it but for a paper thin veneer of respectability layered onto it by the establishment.

True, but I was expecting Gove to be mining the annals of British imperial greatness. Did he have apologia and eulogies for that on his bookshelf as well?

[edit] lol, of course he has a copy of "The Bell Curve"

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

Venezuela captured some US mercenaries trying to coup Maduro.

https://twitter.com/camilateleSUR/status/1257491295947415553?s=20

lol.

If this is Trump's Bay of Pigs then lol.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah it's a bit broad isn't it. Same with "social media". Like, do I trust any old shite that my boomer relatives post on Facebook? Obviously not.

Do I trust what Journos post on Twitter? Depends which journo, generally not.

Do I trust the aggregate information I receive via social media, via my carefully curated feed, to give me an overall generally accurate picture of what's going on in the world/UK, after being passed through some actual critical analysis on my part? Pretty much. More so than I trust the papers or TV or other media.

Still, if I had to give a yes/no answer as to whether I trust "social media" I'd have to think "Do I trust social media to give a generally accurate picture of what's going on to one of my boomer relatives who is more likely to follow random celebs and take what's presented to them at face value", and the answer would be no.

Still, begs the question if so many people distrust the media, how does it still have such a massive effect on people's voting?

I mean, you essentially just said here that you'd answer "no" to the social media question because while you trust your favoured social media sources you don't trust what is in the ecosystem in general. That is very much like a newspaper reader saying that they trust the paper they like but all else is trash so newspapers as a whole are untrustworthy.

So yeah, I definitely think it isn't a stretch to think that that dynamic is at play in the answers across the set of questions in that survey.

ronya posted:

"do you trust X" questions are standard social statistics fare, btw

as a question format it is asked of various institutions all the way back to the 1950s

it isn't intended as "tell me your deep and sophisticated methods of critically analyzing the evening news, citizen" but as a barometer of, roughly, "do you regard X as a reliable authority in social narratives, yes or no". If you, personally, have a deeper answer than yes or no, then you are noise in the results - the interesting part is only trends across time or comparison between various values of 'X'
Yeah, but it doesn't actually really mean anything unless you have some sort of insight as to why trust is growing or being eroded.

Munin fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 6, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

Been listening through the Podcasting is Praxis back-catalogue, I like it, but loving bizarre how many layers of disingenuous shite they gurgled to avoid saying 'electoralism is a thing that exists' in the latest episode.

Is it still Electoralism when you are transitioning into as opposed to out of an authoritarian state?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

There were a bunch of the VIDS shows I uploaded recently flagged for copyright blocks over 90-second clips of films etc, I was fucks sake man, delete the whole upload, re-edit it to blur/mute out the offending material, reupload it. Pain in the arse. Almost every one of the 72 shows has multiple copyright notifications that I can't monetise the item (which I had no interest in doing), but as long as there's no blocks I'm happy*.

It's surprising just how 'good' the Google algo is at recognising a bunch of short snippets of media from a significant percentage of global film/tv/music in the short time it takes to process a video.

*I lie; one of the last shows I uploaded has a partial play block because of one clip, but its blocked in France only and tough poo poo I guess Frenchies.

Most of that poo poo should be fine under fair use but of course it is an affirmative defense in the US, i.e. nearly worthless in most practical cases, and many countries don't have a well developed doctrine around fair use in the first place.

[edit] What is the status of "fair use" or equivalent in the UK these days anyway?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

It used to be completely terrible, like barely even a developed and formal definition for academic use, shocking I know.

Then there was an effort in the 2010s to formalize it in statute, allowing parody, CD rips, and other stuff that everyone was doing anyway, along with proper guidelines around academic/critical fair use.

Then half of that fell to pieces for reasons that I'm not fully sure, mostly leaving just the academic stuff.

I suppose the right amount of cash in the right hands and the right word in the right ears by copyright holders put the kibosh to to it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Few days ago the UK sneakily announced NI will have border custom centers for all goods coming into NI.
Wasn't much furor about it.
The three or so 'mega checking centres' have until Jan 1st to get running. As in get built, hire and train people, etc.

Jan 2nd there will be tailbacks to Dublin from the border.

Looking forward to 2021 topping the ridiculousness of 2020.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Are they using their massive slack capacity in the healthcare system combined with not having the government be responsible for it?

Well, there is no massive slack capacity in the system because that would be inefficient. The main "boon" in the US is that a place like New York was hit first and hardest. Once it gets properly going in the countryside, where decades of cuts have totally hollowed out health provision, there'll be a bloodbath.

Not to mention that the system that is there is already stretched to breaking point as the procedures hospitals etc are using to pay the bills aren't happening anymore.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I thought they had a lot more ICU capacity than the UK because of their weird healthcare system.

Though I guess they have that also because they're all dying because preventative care isn't profitable so it's not very slack.

The issue in the US has less to do with total capacity and more to do with universal provision.

Not to mention that a "US Healthcare System" doesn't exist as such and it is just a patchwork of private providers and essentially no way to centrally coordinate activity; especially if state and federal authorities don't step up. Actually, I should ask how people's hospitals are currently handling this in the healthcare thread.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

One of the reasons why he was generally shitcanned was due to the awful TERFy poo poo he was getting up to outside of UKMT. My favourite bit of that thread was the one or two posters who were initially defending him because they thought it was a controversial poster being railroaded by some people who had it seriously in for him but wen full:

once they got exposed to more of his choice posts from across the forums.

Him carrying on and escalating it is not much of a surprise.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, here is a thread pretty showing a lot of examples of what many cops are up to during the current unrest in the US:
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1266751520055459847

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Re US/Cops

Seems a lot of cops now are joining the protestors or 'taking the knee' and so on from what I'm seeing circulating on Facebook.
The more the better but the standard is closer to see above.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks.

Surprisingly this guy is apparently a republican (though I know google makes mistakes sometimes and might have confused people of the same name).

Ed:

(I had to google Chud because I didn't know what that meant).

https://twitter.com/ambientGillian/status/1267227428595863552?s=20

Yeah, he is a Libertarian flavor Republican who's long term exposure to the criminal justice system has reinforced the anti-authoritarian libertarian side.

I wouldn't in any way vouch for his political opinions in general but he is solid when it comes to abuses of the US justice system.

[edit] oh, he removed Republican from his bio and now has "conservative". Nevertheless same general comment applies.

Munin fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 1, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Random question, where does the iconic "Follow your leader" picture actually stem from?

Guavanaut posted:

Nah there's a segment that still remembers Waco and Ruby Ridge as formative moments and thinks that the Federal Government are going to break into their home at night and murder them for owning guns. They're poo poo at the social analysis of how race and poverty plays into which houses get targeted, but this has been circulating around those sectors as "if you saw armed men in your home in ski masks would you protect your partner?" memes.

Waco, cause célèbre. 1985 bombing of MOVE, footnote in history.

Munin fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 1, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Jedit posted:

A wall stencil.

UK? Did it have the "Fascists Racists Haters of Refugees" from the start? Do we know who conceived it?

It is bloody genius.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Jose posted:

this is unrelated to anything but i highly recommend everyone with a netflix account watch dorohedoro. its really loving good

I read the manga and if they manage to carry the feeling and style over from that then I would second that. The manga is ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I wonder how quickly the US riots will go the last big UK ones did.

It does seem one level more everything but then again I am also following them from my own little bubble.

[edit] The footage of so many different police departments going absolutely nuts is helping justify the protests more broadly, I think.

Munin fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 1, 2020