Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

Doing your own fruit wines out of cheap fruit juice beats beer brewing on terms of cost and effort- literally throw all the ingredients in a suitable container, leave in a warm dark place till it stops bubbling, put in bottles and await liver disease.

Last time I made some it came to about a quid per 2 litres of very drinkable 14% fizzy fruit wine. You can even use empty 2 litre pop bottles to hold it

I did an effort post one time but it probably got lost in the sands of time- I might do another batch later in the year- I'm not a drinker anymore but it's fun and a nice gift to give.

Lol you're literally making prison wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Soylent Yellow posted:

It's rather telling that livestock is slaughtered with quicker and more reliable methods than people. The US execution methods (lethal injection, as well as the older mostly discontinued methods like the electric chair and gas chamber) just have so many potential points of failiure built into them that I can only assume they're deliberately needlessly complex. I think this is in part due to proponents of the death penalty having a compulsion to add a sense of theatre to the process. Something as quick and simple as a captive bolt gun or nitrogen asphyxiation wouldn't satisfy this need.

Inert-gas asphyxiation is cheaper, more humane, and much safer and more reliable than any execution method in use anywhere in the world. The cruelty is the point.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

Know much about assisted suicide methods? I've only really read about one, which was drink an anti-emetic and then a poisonous something. Wondering if there are others.

E: specifically ones the person does to themselves, in some way

I'm skating very, very carefully around this because English law is extremely dodgy about providing info about suicide methods, so I'll just say yes, this is something that has been thought about and methods exist.

Assisted suicide methods tend to be proper medical processes though. Partly because if you're getting an actual doctor to do it you might as well go all out, partly because someone with, say, advanced ALS will not have the dexterity to handle a DIY method - that's the whole point of the "assisted" bit.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quSXoj8Kob0

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

https://twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1253717250785325057?s=20

did you know that the lockdown isn't working and is also killing lots of people? evidenced by:

- falling COVID infection rates
- loads of old people dying in care homes

it would be funny if it weren't so stupid

bonus points for the "lockdown is solely responsible for the economic damage, a raging pandemic would have had absolutely no impact on people's desire/ability to go to school/work/pubs/restaurants" canard

Also the fact that the economy has been overdue a recession for some time now, given that all of the supposed gains since the GFC were just central banks bukkakeing money into FIRE with every measure of actual economic health lagging badly. If it wasn't this, the MBS/Putin beef and price war on oil would have put at least the US into a nasty recession as its entire energy sector poo poo the bed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Blasmeister posted:

Feel like tests not performed by medical personnel aren’t gonna be worth poo poo. We’ve seen how far up your nose you need to shove that thing, how many people are gonna do that themselves properly.

I'm going to say anyone who's not that guy who used to hammer nails into himself in the old Jim Rose Circus could do both tests properly.

Apparently the idea was floated at the press conference that they may be able to test the entire population of the UK over the course of a month, which while insanely improbable for all sorts of reasons, is actually an interesting idea in theory. Maybe not the entire country, but if you were to blanket-test selected postcodes to get an actual baseline of the infection rate it would mean we weren't still fighting entirely in the dark.

You could even get, I dunno, 10k volunteers properly spread around the country and test them weekly? Surely that would give us a much more sensitive early warning of the infection rate going exponential again? I'm working on the assumption that test-and-trace would require us to be dealing with at most high-thousands of infected people to even stand a chance of not being completely swamped, and that's probably going to need months more lockdown, which I just can't see as being feasible.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've no idea if it's good parenting or bad but one of my neighbours has just shouted at her kid "If you keep that up the coronavirus will get you!".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Also if women and LGBT folks don't want to join your social movement because you refuse to seriously tackle sexual harassment and worse within your upper ranks then you done hosed up.

At this point I'm beginning to think that's a consequence of almost any form of hierarchy, at least that comes out of our current social environment. It affects anti-hierarchical movements too but at least they're more often prepared to gather around and talk about it rather than close ranks around the leadership.

I'm by no means an expert but I'd say the problem* with non-hierarchical groups is an amplification of the willful blindness you often see as the first stage of the (bad) response you get in all groups. I think it just comes out of common natural reactions people have to unpleasant news.

Also of course the problem of non-hierarchical groups really quickly becoming hierarchical - and incredibly strictly so - through non-institutional structures is one that's very well-documented.

* by "problem" I don't mean it's unique to, or uniquely bad in, such groups, just that they're more vulnerable to it. "Us" and "them" - and believing that bad things are things done by "them", not "us" - seems a very well-worn path in the human psyche.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I'd be amazed if there was less than a couple hundred thousand. They don't all have to be boots on the ground activists or media personalities.

How many radical feminists do you think there are in the UK? TERF doesn't just mean transphobe, it's a very specific group with a very specific hatred - the bloke down the pub making "chicks with dicks" cracks, the Christian fundamentalist talking about what God intends, and the Twitter bluetick egged on by Mumsnet aren't TERFs *even if they use arguments coming from TERFs*, they're just common-or-garden bigots. It just so happens, in the UK at least, that radical feminists of a certain age happen to have a fairly strong media presence, so TERFism seems like a far stronger strand of transphobia than elsewhere.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

I think the human rights act already offers better protection for minorities status really. proscribing existing welsh names wouldn’t fly.
how would being decentralised help though? you have to register births at the local council. so if the petty tyrant there objects to your chosen name it doesn’t help that there’s a postcode lottery does it?

put them on the blockchain. Have you met my son 1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I have personally met Richard Head, so they're not all myths.

Have we already forgotten the thrilling two months when Dick Braine was leader of UKIP?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

BisonDollah posted:

Has anyone here played 'Not For Broadcast'? It's in early release, you play the vision mixer for the nightly UK news as Lefty Farage's party has just won an election and plans to destroy the 1%. It is very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vxZNj0C7fQ
https://youtu.be/5vxZNj0C7fQ

Yeah I've got it, only played the two broadcasts so far and I'm a little worried that it's gonna be going radical centrist on me and helping the pissed-up bloke talking about taking all the rich people's money will somehow be the "wrong" choice.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Tuck you in, warm within
Keep you free from sin
'Till the milkman he comes

One of the very best Discworld throwaway lines is about their version of the Sandman, who puts people to sleep with a sock full of sand.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I always assumed that's how our version of the sandman worked, because the canonical version where he puts people to sleep by sprinkling sand in their eyes was obviously written by someone who has never been to the beach.

It's because you'd close your eyes if someone threw sand at them. That's what makes Dale Gribble such an effective fighter.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

RLB always said Rayner was to the right of her, their joint run for leader and deputy was meant to be a unity compromise thing to give them broader appeal

so yeah I'm not sure how much she was ever in our corner, but it ain't looking good so far

I don't know why - other than the fact she was RLB's flatmate - anybody ever thought she was anything more than a bog-standard Labour right figure. There's literally nothing anywhere in her background to suggest it, and I was *deeply* suspicious of the way she ran up nominations from the PLP (never even offering to donate nominations to others and blocking people on Twitter for suggesting she might supply the numbers needed to get Dawn Butler on the ballot.

I suppose not taking part in the Chicken Coup was a big plus for her, and fair play to her, but that's pretty much it.

(Note that I don't actually *mind* her as a figure on the Labour right, and if they were all like her we would have a much better party, I'm just trying to soften the blow for everyone when it turns out she doesn't storm the lectern at Conference waving the Little Red Book)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

justcola posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/04/cost-of-public-transport-should-be-raised-as-lockdown-ends-ifs

Cool, getting home on time is only for rich people. Who don't use public transport anyway. Must be fun working in these think tanks and just guessing what people's lives are like. Maybe just scrap every oval office having to work 9-5 instead of making them pay more to get to work at some minimum wage bullshit office?

Like anybody's getting on a rush hour tube for fun, they're getting on it because bosses are petty tyrants who insist people be at their dersk at exactly 0900.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

Use enough mustard and the cat won't go near, or at least the second time they will be wary. Or hot sauce. My old dear cat used to give me the stink eye whenever he saw me reaching for either

I know we're living in strange times but last I checked cats still aren't dogs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

beginning to think the IFS might be a bunch of cunts

We prefer the term "cunters", thanks.

(Hi to the probably one other person ITT who gets this reference)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I assume it's cause their delivery depot is somewhere close to the Dartford crossing.

e: actually that doesn't make sense with Luton and Harrow

maybe they've picked the 15 closest to London with reasonably low footfall

Luton and Harrow are both like 20 minutes from the M25. Dalston's the real outlier there, it's pretty deep into London compared to the rest.

e: Tooting too.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 5, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
From an email from Sadiq Khan:

[quote]Alarmingly, the Resolution Foundation estimate unemployment rising to levels last seen in the 1980s. With a benefits system already buckling, we will need a new settlement that offers proper security for all. This should include ideas like a universal basic income, which is gaining support around the world and would ensure everybody can at least survive. /quote]

Lol that Captain Milquetoast is outflanking Starmer from the Left now too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

If you're a nanny you should maintain a distance of 2 meters for any household occupants that you aren't caring for. :magemage:

Feel like the novelty of using the hoover and interacting with their offspring has worn off for the Aga-owners.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/L__Macfarlane/status/1257724980747476997

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
A new bit of Unbuilt London I never knew about - Brutalist Whitehall, basically a proposal to wipe out everything between Downing Street and Parliament and replace it with Brutalist low-rises, from the architect of the Royal Festival Hall.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

sinky posted:

Boris is only 5ft 9

Is he bollocks, I'm 5'9 (5'10 on a good day) and I was a good 2 inches taller than him when I was working at the Torygraph in the 90s (in the kitchen before anyone updates wall.xls too quickly), and unless coke has HGH in it he's not got any bigger since then.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

Adding goddamnedtwisto to wall.xls for failing to poison Boris Johnson.

e: All-time classic snipe. Liz Truss has the text of Section 28 framed above her mantelpiece.

I was a porter, poisoning him would have been complex. I *could* have run him over with the cleaning trolley I suppose.

Funny thing though, he was about the only person working (in a suit) there who I wouldn't have happily murdered. He was the only one of the senior editorial staff to regularly eat in the normal staff canteen rather than the executive dining room on the 11th floor, and he knew the names of every single one of the staff in that canteen and chatted happily with all of them, a stark contrast with most of the journos who were at best indifferent but mostly loving arseholes to anyone they considered "below" them. Anyone baffled how he got where he was in life (and how he's got the love life of a character from a French farce), that's the missing piece (obviously sitting on top of a massive pile of privilege) - the dude is charming as hell IRL (as are most career politicians near the top - ultimately that's the only actual skill you need).

That's the only reason I knew who he was before HIGNFY et. al. made him BORIS LEGERND - he was literally the only non-service staff member there to actually introduce himself to me in the couple of months I worked there., on like my second or third day. I know it's all an act, but gently caress me it's a really convincing one, and I can see why people fall for it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

justcola posted:

eee you kept that quiet ey. I do like hearing stories about public figures though, they seem to have this certain charisma that gets to people. I've met Andy Burnham and a few other MPs and most had it. Weird.

I've mentioned it quite a lot over the years, mostly as an answer to the obvious "How the hell does he keep getting bigger jobs?" question . It's about the most interesting of my (small, but eclectic) store of celebrity stories that I'd be willing to commit somewhere that libel laws could conceivably apply.

If you want another PM story, a friend of a friend worked at Lambeth Council in the housing department when John Major was a councilor there in the 70s, and they'd worked together on a couple of things - maybe only a couple of weeks total spread out over a couple of years. When he did that cringeworthy documentary where he went back to Brixton, he happened to run into her off-camera and not only remembered her name but also a conversation they'd had about her family almost 30 years before. Like I say it's a skill you find in almost all successful politicians, because ultimately appealing to people is the only way they can progress. Michael Gove, for all his skinsuit qualities, is also apparently actually quite likeable in real life - I struggle to believe it too, but people who've worked with him say that he's actually very easy to get along with.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sloth Life posted:

Today traffic was basically back to normal. Lines at the lights, twats pulling out and all.

Weird because I was in the City of London this morning and it was quieter than Sunday, apart from around Liverpool Street, and the A13 was quieter than I've seen it since lockdown began.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

communism bitch posted:

lol we're gonna have 40,000 dead before the end of summer aint we

We've passed 50k already.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

So which cabinet minister's sprog had their finger in the pie of the home made app

Cummings' mate's brother, wasn't it? Certainly someone involved with leave.eu.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

What would happen if we all just started using Ireland's app instead?

It's fully decentralized, so it's not like it wouldn't work if two people with the app were near one another outside Ireland, unless they've put something in to limit installations.

The app still has to be official, and ideally interface with health authorities to automatically arrange testing, otherwise it's just a poo poo Tinder to FIND HOT SINGLE VIRUSES NEAR YOU NOW.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/bengoldacre/status/1258378643979620353

BAME people more at risk *even when accounting for all other risks associated with BAME populations* and smokers being safer than never-smokers being safer than ex-smokers are probably the weirdest takeaways from this.

e: corrected the order of risk for smokers.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 7, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

blunt posted:

* Smokers being safer than never smokers being safer than ex-smokers.

Really odd/interesting. High blood pressure being safer than regular too?

Yeah, corrected that, alas brainfarts aren't being tracked as a risk factor.

I wonder what the difference between people with high blood pressure and those who have normal blood pressure thanks to medication is (particularly as I'm in the latter group)? Might suggest whether the blood pressure itself is the important part or whether it's actually that the cause of the blood pressure is the protection.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Same offer, but I'll just laugh at your inability to economy pick while I atonally shred with no backing track

Same same offer but this will be the lesson:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I thought the idea was that it obviously makes you more at risk if you catch it because your lungs are hosed but that something about it seems to prevent people from catching it at all. Either behaviourally or whatever.

The interesting thing to me is that smokers in general, as well as the actual health problems that smoking cause, tend to be more at risk of catching any bugs going round simply because the actual act of smoking (putting your hand next to/touching your face repeatedly) increases your chances of infection. This suggests that the protective action - whatever it is - is actually even stronger than the stats suggest. If the nicotine patch trial goes nowhere, it might also be interesting to compare it to ambient pollution levels (controlled for social factors that tend to go along with living in polluted areas obviously) to see if it might be something to do with irritation of the lungs, or even carbon monoxide levels in the blood.

Anyway here's my theory - smokers are making more trips out of the house (to buy fags, and often to smoke them) but otherwise are more socially distanced (both from going out for a fag, and because they're all so damned cool that people are intimidated by us - erm, them), meaning that they're being exposed to very small amounts of the virus and are actually being effectively vaccinated.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

There's also Jake Brakes, which use the engine as an air compressor to provide enhanced engine braking when a heavy truck is rolling downhill or needs to slow down, with the side effect (before newer exhaust flow controls) of sounding like a WWI biplane struggling to climb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZqn2Nm1Fo&t=10s

They're only supposed to be used on HGVs and are illegal to turn on in residential areas, but some of the idiot car owner scene have managed to rig up something very similar from what I've heard (as in literally heard subarus going down the road like a bad pneumatic drill).

That wouldn't be a jake brake - they wouldn't actually be that noisy on a much smaller-displacement car engine, and I don't think you could even make them work on a four-stroke engine, for that matter, at least without completely replacing the valvetrain.

What you're hearing is open pipes with a chipped engine to run over-rich, giving the classic fart-cannon note because half the combustion is happening in the headers rather than in the cylinder. The hilarious thing is if they're actually turbo'd (and the rally cars Scooby owners are all trying to emulate are turbocharged) that they're both completely loving the turbo (and probably the intake manifold if they're doing the other fuckhead mod of a loud pop-off valve - the FST-OOO noise you hear when they close the throttle) *and* losing a shitload of power.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

And you can achieve the same effect by just sticking a trombone out the window and giving the slide some welly as you drive.

The embouchure is a bit tricky though I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx8XXaLxt4Q

This is the only acceptable exhaust mod. Want a loud exhaust? Buy an Italian motorbike like God intended. The noise*must* be legal, the factory says it is!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/essmurph/status/1258537649368739840

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1258656804143276032

Would you call it a "tragic gardening accident"?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

So he didn't spit on the officer. If he had there would have been an assault charge.

Yeah the fact they tacked on an "unnecessary travel" charge kinda suggests they were looking to throw every last thing they could at him, and they'd have definitely put assault in there if they had even the tiniest chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Brendan Rodgers posted:

What if conscientous objection hit a kind of critical mass? If millions of soldiers on all sides refused to get on the plane, and took the punishment for it, and in the process made the war unviable. It would come at personal cost, but I think notions of "cowardice" have changed since WW1 and each following war changed things further, with the draft becoming unthinkable in many countries.

There will still be more than enough people willing to shoot "cowards" to stop this becoming likely within our lifetime. Besides, warfare has changed so completely in the last 50 years that any war that would actually need the sort of "warm body with a rifle" numbers that would make conscription an issue would be pretty much a world-ender before the first conchies were even put on trial.