Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

forkboy84 posted:

Agreed. It's inexcusable to wave the Scottish saltire because of the attempt to establish a colony in Darien.

The Darien scheme was so loving dumb I kind of love it. It's like they heard about the idea of colonies from a friend of a friend going, "Oh yeah you can sell beads and poo poo to the natives and get gold for nothing, it's great," so everyone packed off with boats full of powdered wigs they were sure the natives would be falling over themselves to buy. Then they all died of malaria and poo poo and Scotland was so embarrassed it ceased to be a country.

If more colonisers were like Scotland the world would be a better place! :scotland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

big scary monsters posted:

Norway has a law to "protect" rare surnames. If fewer than 200 people are registered with a particular surname...

I read as far in on the quoted post before my brain started imagining the government forcing random people to change their name to the rare surname to keep it from dying out.