Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I remember we had a minimum alcohol pricing effortpost at one time, to counter the bad faith whining (and good faith questions) that always result when it's mentioned. I just saw this on the Graun liveblog, obviously it's just a snippet but interesting if true

quote:

Alison Douglas, chief executive of Alcohol Focus Scotland, said, “The initial results from the evaluation of minimum unit pricing are hugely encouraging as studies have found a significant decrease in consumption in the first year compared to England and Wales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

XMNN posted:

imagine literally waving a flag

lmao

Can't even post a picture of a flag anymore without Ed Miliband firing you

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

E: bad post, ignore

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 1, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

E: bad post, ignore

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 1, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

Quite aside from the legal aspect of posting about this, I wouldn't post about this. Some of the methods are surprisingly easy and accessible, and once you know them you can't really un-learn them, which isn't great if you (or anyone else who saw the post) is a person who might at some point be at risk of attempting suicide.

You're right, apologies. In my head I was dividing the medical and the other sort, but you're right, this is a false distinction.

Please ignore my posts on this matter.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

But you get a free icecream!

(The icecream is also COVID-positive)

That's bad!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Thank you. have currently been trying to get through some thicker books, so might aim for something a bit less heavy atm.

This is a good, and short, read about the recent happenings in Puerto Rico in matters of resistance to disaster capitalism. Kind of an appendix to the Shock Doctrine

https://www.haymarketbooks.org/books/1250-the-battle-for-paradise

After that I tried to get into something heavier, got stuck, and started re-reading Thief of Time :)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

I am sick of people saying "errr, literally doesn't mean anything any more" when it has meant "figuratively" since the loving 1800's.

I agree and am not a prescriptivist at all, but tongue-in-cheekly I think we need a replacement word, for situations like this

"That rollercoaster was so scary I wet myself!"
"Haha yeah me too"
"No I mean I literally wet myself"
"Haha yeah me too"

Should be good for a few years before it comes to mean figuratively as well :v:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think people do this now colloquially just with short phrases like "no joke" "no lie" "forreal" or whatever your local equivalent is. I don't see much ambiguity in practice

Yeah that works, as I say my "objection" is functional, and as Bugman said above, humans will always tend to create a functional way to communicate.

Far worse than the forwards-pedant, who is at worst tiresome, is the reverse-pedant - like the guy who read the piece specifically about vulvas by a woman who was an expert on vulvas, and decided he needed to say "actually it's called a vagina", and wouldn't back down.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Shyrka posted:

I read as far in on the quoted post before my brain started imagining the government forcing random people to change their name to the rare surname to keep it from dying out.

Hey, me too!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS? :mad:

Oh wait no, front and centre

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

If I can offer a suggestion? It is the constant belief that the world is fundamentally Just. That everything that happens is because you deserve it in some way. It's a very easy PoV to take because it requires zero introspection and makes you feel good about yourself.

Going back to Thief of Time (I always forget how good it is): before anything else, people fear Kaos.

The government is at least theoretically competent like in the West Wing - because to think otherwise is chaotic and scary

There is a well-organised conspiracy secretly pulling the strings - because otherwise there's just a bunch of rich people flailing about in their own little bubbles, and that's chaotic and scary

Good people get the good things they deserve, and bad people the converse, at least mostly - because otherwise there's just a bunch of stuff that happens, and something bad might happen to me even though I'm a good person - and that's extremely scary

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

XMNN posted:

this plan bears so little relation to reality that it's not even a "perfectly spherical commuters in an evacuated train carriage" grade approximation that I'm sure they haven't even begun to consider it, but I'd like to see one of these fuckers explain what this would actually look like in practice

like you finish work at 5, can't get the 5.15 home because it's prohibitively expensive, so you get the 6.15 instead, what are you doing for that extra hour? just hanging around the station or wandering the streets? how is that helping keep people home

also, you have to pick a price that is prohibitively expensive to enough people without making a bunch of other people who could afford the higher prices decide it's worth hanging around for an hour for the cheaper train, or everyone just gets the later one anyway

also also, it's telling how, even having written off actually doing anything (e.g. making the train companies run more trains, rationing train tickets for people who absolutely have to commute to work) as being too much like communism, their instinct is to raise prices for earlier trains rather than lower them for later ones

beginning to think the IFS might be a bunch of cunts

I have thought this about the peak/off peak pricing distinction since before the pandemic, or at least the rationale that the higher peak price might deter people who can travel at other times. The sardine-like trains do that on their own!

Similarly the posters I've seen in London saying "have you thought about travelling between 10amm and 4pm (or whatever) when it's quieter". Are there really people who can go into town whenever, standing on a train at 0830 muttering "why is it so busy?"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm reminded that when my dad was commuting itno London from Hampshire on the regular, the off-peak trains were referred to as 'the gentlemens' train' with the strong implication that only people who could afford to go into work late could ride them.

If anything off-peak and peak pricing should be loving reversed.

Well, if anything public transport should be nationally owned and free at point of use, but you know.

Yes, that.

Also this is me being goony but for the long distance trains, instead of the "airline pricing model to balance demand", just have them all the same price (or free), and have a little gauge showing how many other humans are booked on the train. If it doesn't matter when I travel, you bet I'll be getting the emptiest one. Demand balanced!

E: Cattes! We're doing the same walk every day and logging which cats we see. We saw this white & ginger one more frequently than most. Then we discovered why!

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 4, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

love that redundant color chart

Keir Starmer spends the entire PMQs demanding to know whether the Tories have "done the green one yet", much to everyone's bafflement.

The Guardian declare him the winner of PMQs.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

The left are such children. If you don't run around nursing homes shooting people how can you possibly know if that's a good thing or a bad thing?

Sunlight is the best disinfectant. Once people see Michael Gove shooting people, they'll be sure to condemn him. This is the correct order for these events.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 5, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Liberal commentators: "This crisis will cause the Tories to rethink their wicked ways, we will move into a new normal where work and benefits are redefined"

Tories: "Welp, the crunch part's over, time to resume starving and yelling at people for not taking jobs that don't exist"

Liberal commentators: "Ah. Well, nevertheless..."

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

Keep forgetting Brexit is "happening" later this year. :lol:

That's going to be a fun clusterfuck is they still insist on not moving the date, if the world is still in various waves of pandemic.

I am enjoying the people keeping the duality in their head of "No, shut up, Brexit has already happened we're out, stop talking about it" vs looking forward to the end of the year when they actually get what they want.

Random old man yelling at cloud thing: what's up with these websites these days where you type in the first letter of your email address and it immediately pops up a large red text saying THAT IS NOT A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS. And then you tab to the next field and it yells at you again for the field being blank.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

^^^I think they're on lockdown with all the other football teams

big scary monsters posted:

They're doing some kind of check where they expect an email address to follow the format x@y.z, maybe with some additional checks on whether z is a valid TLD. If the checker is poorly written then it won't wait for you to finish typing before checking and shouting at you, and so as soon as you start typing bobstar69@aol.com it sees the "b" and complains that it isn't in the proper format. Even when the checker isn't overzealously running on every letter, when you tab away from a field that was previously in focus there's probably a "completed" flag being set for that field, so it then gets checked and shouts at you that the field is empty even though all the other empty fields you haven't clicked on yet don't register a problem.

There are a few big, popular libraries for stuff like this and they aren't necessarily well thought out, which is why so many websites have one of a couple fairly consistent behaviours when it comes to verifying what you've entered.

Thanks for the explanation :) I don't do that kind of comptooters, but if I designed a touchscreen interface for a site that did that sort of thing, I'd have a grumpy customer on the phone the next day.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

blunt posted:

They put the colour temperature (and a lil indicator) on the box though.

It's nice having a couple of temperatures - all my main overhead lights are daylight and get used in the day, then all my side lamps etc are warm white for the evenings. That way I don't get blinded in the evening and everything looks right during the day.

I've heard fancy people have colour changing lights, but I'm not ready to put my lumens on the Internet yet.

Yeah you can get variable CT bulbs, and full colour mixing ones, though I don't see the attraction of those, feels too much like being at work, my house is sensible shades of white :colbert:

You don't have to put your lumens on the internet if you don't want to, you can keep them on the local network, but then you can't control them when you are out of the house (I have never felt the need to do this).

vvv Even when it was the bears...

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 7, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Shadow chancellor Anneliese Dodds has warned the government to “be quite careful” about saying employees who have been furloughed have become “addicted” to the scheme.

Ooh calm down, you might have someone's eye out with that vehement opposition to a disgraceful smear on millions of people

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I'm just glad I can still enjoy Black Books, written by Dylan Moran all on his own.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

Looking forward to the next Drugstore Culture-esque ventures by ex-op ed writers.

Surely even without newspapers to print awkward cutouts of their upper bodies, their journalistic brilliance and insightful opinions will help them stand out from the crowd on social media!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

K-starm getting more praise from the best possible sources I see

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1258677559291793408

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Prince John posted:

We had the exact same experience. Walking to our local park and realised it was almost Clap Clap Time and we still had a couple of minutes of houses to get past before we reached some open space. Everyone was just standing in their gardens watching us walk by and it was super awkward. Neither of us does the clap thing both because it's mawkish and because we hate the way people are using it to pretend like they give a poo poo about the NHS when they'll happily vote the Tories in. I sort of ended up doing embarrassed half clapping as we walked past the last few houses. Eugh. Also, someone apparently had an air raid siren.

I had to look up mawkish because it looked like it might have an interesting etymology, and I was right:

From Middle English mawk, mauk, a contraction of mathek, from Old Norse maðkr (“maggot”), a diminutive of a base from Proto-Germanic *maþô (“worm”)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Some oval office behind my street is letting off fireworks in broad daylight for VE day

See also all day New Year's Eve from around noon over here, aka magic fireworks are legal day. Not sure what fun it is, might as well throw coins in the river.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

25 years of remove makes the whole event much less real, and much more myth.

Goes back to my "about the year 2000" problem, where 1995 doesn't seem that long ago, but also it's the difference between my WW2 navy granda being 76 and "I keep telling you, he's 101 years old and he's dead".

And therefore the difference between people who fought in the war being general grandparents milling around, and a few exceptional very old folks. As mentioned before, just wait until the last of them go, and it'll be miffic with extra miff.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 9, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Deketh posted:

I can't handle the sanctimonious smugness of it all. As if helping the vulnerable and addressing wealth inequality was some childish loving jaunt, and now we can be grown ups again by going back to propping up capital and keeping the working class in their place. What's that, support our public services and fix the welfare system? Look after renters and the low paid? Don't be so silly, the grown ups are back, let's get that debt accumulating again and let's have you work for gently caress all til you die.
It's similar to that ghoul Peston trying to take the piss out of Corbyn with that photo caption. We get it, you fucks, you won. You get to have it all, your corrupt little position, your wealth and vulgar influence. You get to keep manufacturing and inflicting your hellworld on the masses, you don't have to take the piss out of and belittle the people that actually tried to improve life for the desperate.

EDIT: Ty, a really great and positive British rapper, died yesterday from the rona. Just thought I'd post this any case anyone else knows of him cos I almost missed it on the news and it were a bummer :(

I think it's a combination of logical fallacy and cargo cult.

Sensible grownups sometimes need to make hard decisions, even ones that may hurt some people

Therefore if we make hard decisions and hurt people, we're sensible grownups.

And therefore, the cargo kudos for being so grownup and sensible will arrive any minute now

E: no cats today. The number 44 is a very sensible and grownup age to be

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 9, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

TACD posted:

More specifically, once you’ve accumulated some capital you’ll sensibly want to hoard it all for yourself rather than share it or give any away like a naïve child.

I'm still holding out hope that people get more conservative as they get richer, not older.

Because there's going to be some upset conservatives in the next few decades if so.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I thought I read something about Sunak saying things on Tuesday but I can't find it now.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bardeh posted:

So Raab now clarifying that it's Wednesday we're all supposed to trot off back to work, not today.

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/status/1259735185303711745

I looked at the replies :sigh:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

So apparently BJ isn't doing a press conference today, but taking questions from the public.

I did the lol at this from the Graun liveblog

quote:

Of course there is nothing wrong with politicians doing Q&As with members of the public. Sometimes they pose harder or more interesting questions than journalists. But normally they don’t, and if you believe that it’s beneficial having a media that holds politicians to account, you might be concerned about Johnson avoiding the press on the day of such a major government announcement.

1. So salty, very boohoo
2. Yes it's definitely that the public are bad at asking questions, because they haven't been to super secret journalism spy school, and not that the government selects only questions in the form "Dear Strongbad, how is it that you're so awesome and cool? Did it come naturally, or were you born that way?"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Dear Boris,

How do you Brexit with boxing gloves on?

<DELETED>

"Strongbo, did you catch the virus?"

"No"

"Did you catch 400,000 viruses?"

"Yes... very yes!"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Aidan_702 posted:

better stay alert so we can figure out what she's trying to communicate

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Crossposting from Simpsons meme thread

https://twitter.com/JonnyGabriel/status/1259553576646594560?s=20

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

There exists a political infrastructure of good people doing good things, and it is the rich who try to make people believe it doesn't exist or is equally corrupt.

Partially by building a straw man that "the left" believe that Tories are the bad guys and Labour are the good guys, and those are the only teams in the game - but look at all these demonstrable bad guys on your team, what hypocrisy, guess all of politics is corrupt, look it's all broken and on the floor.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Let's see him wriggle out of that one

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Good post.

And I would add, the reason people who like or benefit from neoliberalism like to boo-hoo about "people using it as an insult for things they don't like" is because, to paraphrase a saying, it's like somebody critical of the way fish live constantly talking about water. It has been the dominant underpinning of politics for several decades now, certainly my whole lifetime, and all three of the 2 political parties that matter have embraced and built on it while in power. And the people who like and benefit from it enjoy it being background common sense, so react angrily when it's pointed out, named, and held responsible for its consequences.

That's not to say that it isn't sometimes used over-broadly, but less often than they'd like you to believe.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

CancerCakes posted:

Wriggle accomplished. Starmer still thinks he is in a court arguing with a lawyer, while he is actually in the circus arguing with the clown. The clown doesn't care if you make him look stupid, or point out he is incompetent. The only thing the clown cares about is that people are looking at him and not you.

Ah. Well, nevertheless...

E: 69 is the number of the house I live in. That's the only interesting fact I can think of.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

You mean a Librarian?

Eeeeeeeeek!