Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Am I first to notice that David Icke is the Tiger King?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Unite website isn't processing applications, hopefully means their busy?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Great post twisto. I think my folks had a meal in the PO Tower long ago in the mists of time. A former flatmate was a BT Engineer and used to do strange rites in there sometimes (mid 1989s).

If anyone wants a bit of escapism, saw a daft (but a bit gory) film last night Attack The Block. Aliens invade earth but land in the middle of a run down Saahf Landan estate. Doesn't work out for them. Was on Film 4 so probably on Catch Up.

Joe Cornish's directorial debut and John Boyega's first film, and really good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I used to live in Kilburn (actually Cricklewood but I got sick of having to elaborate so referred to the nearest tube station) and the Black Lion was pretty good, the North London Tavern and Ironworks spring to mind too, good food as well The openly Irish pubs were more Cricklewood High Road way as I recall.

Makes me have second thoughts about moving to East London, but then I'm not sure about even staying in the country. I just got a new project at work that will see me working in Hampshire where I don't really want to live, and I've made progress on buying a flat in Ilford. Just don't know what to do, more what I want to get away from.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/David__Osland/status/1263035683133886466?s=19

Lol

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/LabourRichard/status/1264226685748199436?s=19

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I got an alert from the Twitter app, but forgot to share. Was reminded by the podcast:

https://twitter.com/2010leehurst

Twitter is a bit less profoundly bald.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/ShaneBailey92/status/1264952273916002306?s=19

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've been on the bench at work for about 2 months, having been taken off my last project because they wanted someone with certain experience (I've met them and they don't have it) so I've been doing training courses and applying for new roles.

The other week a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) was brought up by my line manager as I had been on the bench for a while, pointing out most projects are frozen does nothing. Also get turned down for a role because I don't have experience I would have gotten if I'd been allowed to stay at my previous project. But an interview comes up and I get notified they want to on-board me, so looks like it will all be fine.

Then after over a week of radio silence I get it second-hand that they aren't going ahead with hires, and so I get sent my PIP notice that I'm expected to agree to. Now I think I should push back on this, because I don't see how any amount of "performance" on my part gets a different outcome here? It seems like a black mark against me, and possibly the start of manufacturing a reason to sack me. I've started drafting a letter to HR, basically saying it's unfair, but has anyone dealt with something like this before? I've joined Unite recently, might they be able to advise me or something?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Saros posted:

Union rep right now. A PIP is almost always a prelude to trying to show you the door.

Okay, I'm putting an enquiry into their website, or is there someone else I should contact? Totally new to this.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Saros posted:

Union rep right now. A PIP is almost always a prelude to trying to show you the door.

Okay, I've sent a query over the Unite website, I don't know what representation is like in my org and I didn't feel like I could ask 9n the Slack or anything, so just joined Unite because it seemed the best fit.

My line manager is now asking if I can sign the PIP agreement and I've said I'm seeking advice, should I tell them I'm talking to a Union?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Got sick of Andy's takes on Corbyn and dropped the podcast, will just get exposure to Bob from Twitter.

He won't let me dooooown!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

To update on my issue at work with the bogus Performance Improvement Procedure (abbreviated to PIP but that stands for something else the thread might talk about so I'll avoid it) I got a call from my Unite rep who helped out a lot, I'm basically awaiting a copy of the company policy on performance to forward to him and am not signing the PIP agreement. I mean, I got a project and then they withdrew because of COVID, so pretty clearly my performance isn't the issue. Didn't enjoy catchups with my line manager to begin with, so not a big deal there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Does anyone know what's going on with Game Workers Unite? There's a bunch of chatter on Twitter about some race issue, but I've not been able to piece it together, Twitter just loops me through the same series of tweets. I've been looking at returning to the industry so would have been interested in getting involved.