Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Opening my bookmarks and seeing the April UKMT thread is closed

Well, I guess it’s May now. A full month in lockdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Exactly, because her reptilian race are immune to the virus they’re not putting the effort into stamping it out.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Bonus points if you get arrested/killed for supporting islamic state.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

forkboy84 posted:

I think the show jumped the shark when Deayton got busted for hookers & coke. He was a solid part of the formula & the refusal to even attempt to replace him & just lurch into the lovely guest host eternity was a shite decision.

A decision which indirectly lead to Johnson becoming our current PM.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

He could have probably won if he'd called the election two years earlier, that's two years less of "unelected PM" bullshit from the press and one less global financial crash.

We will obviously never know for sure, but I completely believe that we would be in a different world if he had just called an election immediately.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

kingturnip posted:

It's weird, the people who say they're not concerned about coronavirus at all always get really annoyed when get right up their faces and start talking loudly, spraying spittle everywhere

Funny that. Almost like they're not concerned about other people getting coronavirus. It's like the people protesting hairdressers being closed - they're not wanting hairdressers open so they can work in them, they want them open so other people can work for them.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ash Crimson posted:

I think people might revolt/riot

I think it'll take a good minute to get there though. Riots generally come out of existing protests, and if people are inside and not joining up for a protest it's hard to see how a riot will start.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Perfect Element posted:

That is an amazing tip! I've wondered for ages why Google hadn't aleady done this. My fantasy is for a OS satnav style thing so it can just tell it where you wanna get to and it will plot out a lovely walk...

My satnav for my bike (MIO) does exactly this - you tell it how long you want to be out for and it’ll plot you a nice circular route, taking into account bike lanes and quiet roads.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

On the change from “Stay at home” to “Stay alert”. BBC is just interviewing the likes of Sturgeon and Mayor after Mayor who are all saying “this is the first we’ve heard of it, we’re against it. Stay at home.”

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Solid effort, start to (horrifying) finish. Enjoyed the signs.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Now this is the story all about how
My life got flipped, turned upside down

Oh good lord that is good.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Also golf and tennis are pretty socially distanced anyway. As long as (with golf) you don’t have someone who’s very close in between shots at least.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ash Crimson posted:

but what if you cough whilst cupping the balls or stroking the shaft

Then you have to take an extra stroke.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Wonder if that will crash the arse out of the property market?

Commercial property is fuuuuucked. Look at what happened post 9/11 for a hint, and then scale it massively. From the people I know who lease property for their businesses it's absolutely a buyers market when it comes to renegotiating terms. They're not even waiting for the lease to be up, just calling up and saying 'Give us new terms or we are just going to stop paying.'

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why do people insist that because (apparently) Corbyn is 'worth millions' (where do they get this poo poo from) and Starmer possibly has a cleaner (does he? I've no idea) Labour doesn't speak for the working classes, therefore you must vote tory because DePfeffel and co do?

Grrr.. my blood pressure is rocketing. Comments made by a 'friend' I have unfollowed on FB but I can see her comments on other peoples' posts.

(First time I've felt protective of Starmer LOL)

I suspect Corbyn has a house in Islington which is worth >1m by dint of him having owned it for years. That would be enough to make it “true”.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Question IRL posted:

Greed is about wanting things/possessions and accumulating them. IE someone who buys a box of twelve donuts.

Envy is about denying someone from having something else. IE the person who buys the last box of donuts, so Carl can't have any.

I think the description for Envy here is really for Greed.

Envy is when you want what someone else has - you are envious of them.

Jealousy/greed is you have it - the dragon guards its gold jealously (but is envious of the gold you have)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Beefeater1980 posted:

I may of course be biased because IIRC he is in Malaysia and so, like me, exposed to the dominant perspective in Asia right now, which is about a billion miles away from this thread.

In an absolute nutshell, what’s the difference? Being taken more seriously by the public?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Man, Gillian Anderson’s performance in A Streetcar Named Desire is so uncomfortably good. It’s streaming for free for a week from today on the NTLive YouTube. Go watch it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

But how will they ensure that people staying there from different households are social distancing?

Oh

Silly me - the answer is ‘loopholes’, because of course it is.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Buses To Be Considered "Households" To Defeat Coronavirus, Says Minister

Once again, hundreds of years behind the Jewish community.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

My money is on him going now. This is the Sunday times today:

The article about the worst death toll being down to dithering right next to him.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Communist Thoughts posted:

Isn't there still another date theyr sitting on?

Potentially, the date looks to be out there but no evidence yet.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Aramoro posted:

Is this the 10th of May visit to Durham? There's tweets about that one?

There's a tweet, and it's at the actual time which is good rather than post-hoc, but there's no photographs yet. And the fact he's denying it means that if he was there he's pretty sure he's not been snapped.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND THE DOM is absolutely one of them.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

In fairness, obviously Boris would think that being a father involves jumping in the car and loving off for a bit.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lockdown is over. Realistically.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

If anyone went to Durham Uni, and remembers the terrible, terrible nightclub Klute, then do I have an interesting tidbit for you!

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07472305/officers

Christ. on. a. bike.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Other than it's weird for a rational genius turbonerd to own a nightclub what's the significance?

It's really just an interesting piece of information for anyone who's been there. It's awful, not awful in the 'terrible nightclub' awful way but awful. It was allegedly awarded the title of the second worst nightclub in Europe by FHM, back when that was still a thing. (The worst one supposedly burnt down).

Subject of many an article https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/8qbzzg/i-went-to-klute-the-worst-night-club-in-europe

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Just had a peep at today’s papers, the press seems to be falling in behind the government in general. Oh well.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Saros posted:

After asking a a group of people I know that went to Durham apparently Cummings Uncle used to run Klute and DC himself once worked there. Makes sense from what I hear about the place.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/26/dominic-cummings-was-doorman-at-europes-worst-nightclub

Yes.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

“I wasn’t sure if I could legally drive so I decided to give it a go to check” really does open up a lot of opportunities, doesn’t it.

“Officer, I wasn’t sure if I was too drunk to drive after five pints so I thought I should check.”

https://twitter.com/daveross86/status/1264948182695452673?s=21

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I actually agree with Keir Starmer keeping a careful distance from this so far. It's real "never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake" territory.

Tempted to agree in this case. As soon as he says something then the press can start to focus on him “why is kier doing this at this sensitive time” or whatever. This way labour are complete out of the headline.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Shinny posted:

Anyone able to give any advice for a friend of mine?

She was told she was being furloughed at the end of March but has yet to receive any money. She's contacted her employer and been told that they're having trouble getting the money from HMRC (and that they think they may not get it at all.)

Is she entitled to payment from them even though they don't have the money from HMRC?

If she’s not been furloughed then she’s still a full time employee. So they can pay her the furlough wage or her full wage, unless she’s on a hourly pay?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Men are the worst.

https://twitter.com/milkgapes/status/1266461088222269446?s=21

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jesus, Matt, what in the tin-pot Christ are you on?

https://twitter.com/matthancock/status/1266758277041401857?s=21

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Prince John posted:

https://twitter.com/rodbishop15/status/1267005113308151810?s=20

Daily Mail doing some classic character assassination.

Edit:

Marr having a good day:

No, no - my expertise: Lies! In transport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Darth Walrus posted:

He's the MP for Newmarket and gets a shitload of donations from the horse-racing industry. This was probably a major reason why Cheltenham went ahead.

Ah, the answer is simple as always. Don’t look to idiocy until you’ve ruled out greed. but absolutely look there immediately then.