Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

so whats the deal with sweden? honestly the numbers from over there dont seem that bad considering they arent murdering their own economy like everyone else

like as far as im concerned keep the quarantie going on forever because im still getting paid and working 2 hours instead of 8 with no commute and high as gently caress all day long but i know a lot of people are suffering economically and it will only get worse so maybe theres some truth to the idea of the cure being worse than the disease. i dunno im just asking q pls dont dogpile me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

According to the Imperial College forecasting they have R(t) sitting right near 1 at the moment. So they have slid down to it rather than suppressing R(t) below 1 then loosening things up until R(t) is near 1.

what does this mean

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

twoday posted:

Many more are dying there than in the neighboring countries, but you are repeating a rightwing talking point which is based on a fallacy, which is that one must choose either between saving the economy or opening up society. The reality is much more nuanced.

First of all, Sweden's economy, like the rest of Europe and the world, is hosed. The IMF projects that Sweden will lose 6.8% of their GDP, which is admittedly not as high as the biggest losers in Europe (Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands), where losses will be closer to 8 or 9 percent, but it's still higher than the EU average of 6.4%. Having "no lock down" hasn't saved their economy.

Second, saying they have no lockdown is not correct. The different countries have had different approaches to lockdown and have enacted different measures, and they all exist on a number of spectrums. Sweden took different measures than most places, most notably leaving restaurants and shops open. However, other countries also left shops open. However, they did ban events, and also, very importantly, locked down their nursing homes early on to defend the elderly. There are still a lot more deaths than everywhere nearby though. But also much less than places like Belgium, which did a pretty heavy lockdown.

Anyway, the choice of murdering your economy or murdering your people is a false dichotomy. Even in Sweden a lot of people have changed their habits and are hiding inside and shopping less. Young people still go to bars, sure, but it's not the same society it was 3 months ago. It didn't save their economy. This poo poo is not an on/off switch, there is nuance to every situation. By repeating these oversimplified talking points you are reinforcing the idiotic chud narrative.

thank you for the response. i am wiser now and will not repeat the chud lines anymore

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Inceltown posted:

Note when they're talking about the economy they're talking about two things -- the workers and capital -- because the economy is more than just capital. By saying 'save the economy' they're saying kill workers to spare capital and not actually meaning save the economy.

my worry is that the economic collpase will hurt a lot of people (and already is), potentially more than virus itself. but yeah its not really a situation where you can choose one over the other as pointed out before