Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
COVID-19 MAY 2020 USA CUM DEATHS GUESSING GAME GUESSING CLOSED
Guess how many cumulative deaths we have on worldometer's COVID-19 report for May 31st for the USA. The closest guess gets the satisfaction of being smarter than a bunch of idiot epidemiologists. If you are dead on May 31st, you may not redeem this prize. The guessing window closes at +07:00 GMT on May 2nd.

====================

Thank you to everyone that guessed, especially those hoping for resurrection or megadeath, your voices matter too. Here is a link to the guess spreadsheet.

There are 215 guesses in total which I have run through the C-SPAM University Model to yield the following estimates:

- 169421 expected deaths (median).
- 153842 to 185599 deaths (95% Bootstrap Confidence Interval of the median).

I will consider CUM a success if deaths fall within this range.

Here are the deaths:

C-SPAM University Model vs Epidemiologists:

C-SPAM vs C-SPAM

Worldometer resets a bit after 00:00 GMT every day, and I will try to keep daily updates rolling.

Notorious R.I.M. has issued a correction as of 02:27 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

that fresh thread smell

Congratulation, you do not (yet) have coronavirus.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

babypolis posted:

so whats the deal with sweden? honestly the numbers from over there dont seem that bad considering they arent murdering their own economy like everyone else

like as far as im concerned keep the quarantie going on forever because im still getting paid and working 2 hours instead of 8 with no commute and high as gently caress all day long but i know a lot of people are suffering economically and it will only get worse so maybe theres some truth to the idea of the cure being worse than the disease. i dunno im just asking q pls dont dogpile me

According to the Imperial College forecasting they have R(t) sitting right near 1 at the moment. So they have slid down to it rather than suppressing R(t) below 1 then loosening things up until R(t) is near 1.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

babypolis posted:

what does this mean

It means they'll probably keep seeing the same number of people get infected and die for a while

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

mycomancy posted:

I am absolutely loling at all these goons not understanding how exponentials work.

From March 1 to April 1 deaths doubled every 2.45 days. From April 1 to now, they doubled every 9.03 days. The difference? April saw actual attempts to contain the virus, and both the case numbers and the death count slowed.

By my calculations, if the doubling time stays what it is, by May 31 we will have 695,157 deaths. If our doubling time drops because of *waves arms gesticulating wildly* it goes up very fast.

So, here's my guess.

Doubling time: 6 days
Death count on May 31 for the United States: 2,293,629

:hellyeah:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Current guesses:

If anyone knows any Smart Epidemiologists with predictions for May 31st please let me know

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

MoaM posted:

Give me 200089 if we aren't doing duplicate entries.

This is CSPAM you can do whatever your heart tells you to (updated to 200089)

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

keep em cumin

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

MadJackal posted:

I'm still alive!

I'm glad to hear the end of your first round was the peak. Things sounded like they were truly going off the rails on the last few days.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

as of right now the two biggest unknowns right now are what the acceleration effect of the re-opening measures are and (likely inversely related) what the political response to the economy remaining an absolute dumpster fire when the republicans all proclaim that they're open for business tomorrow.

May is going to be a dark month.

you better pick a number, plane.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I mean... that curve seems to be going up and up

Still rising

human life is worthless in 2020, as long as I don’t know them

hell, they might support that politician I don’t like, good riddance!!!! We’re too many as it is! more oxygen for meeeeeee

I'll pencil you in for 0 USD

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I misread I thought it was for the month, mine is 103k if you dont mind.

Updated

quote:

Can we buy multiple entries
:10bux:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

euphronius posted:

revising upwards to 12

What are you, the IHME?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1256054964503396352

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

motedek posted:

looking good folks

Where's that model from

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

At 101 entries the median guess is now 169420. The wisdom of the crowd is good folks.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Current guesses

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Siljmonster posted:

Lord please hear my prayers and smite me please I am a horrible sinner

a shameful smite

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Man Musk posted:

Maths question: We’re already well past Mardi Gras where 2% of all participants succumbed to the roni. Is that 2% figure cumulative, i.e. if you visit the beach 98 times this season will you catch the roni?

If you have a 98% chance of not catching covid each time you go to the beach and you go 100 times your chance of not getting infected is 0.98^100 = 13%.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

can't wait for all the virus related word problems in the next generation of algebra textbooks

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Cumulative deaths by May 31st guesses:

1-76:

77-147:

The median guess is, once again, 169420.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/305906786408480770

I will collect more guesses tomorrow. There's still until 07:00 GMT May 2nd to guess.

Notorious R.I.M. has issued a correction as of 08:50 on May 1, 2020

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

But taking out the 3 highest guesses, and the lowest 8, which are impossible, what is the mean answer?

I'll post the full sheet tomorrow when everything is done so you can do whatever basic statistics or advanced machine learning you want on it, but it's important to remember that all guesses are beautiful, even those that require resurrection and/or repeated death.

Notorious R.I.M. has issued a correction as of 09:00 on May 1, 2020

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

At 197 guesses the median is... 169420

1-70:

71-140:

141-197:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Put me down for the lower of two mersenne primes found by pietro gitaldi in 1588:

217 - 1 = 262,142

131071?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

a somehow worse version of gently caress you got mine

gently caress, you got mine

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

ya missed one!

I have fixed this egregious error. I personally think you are most likely to win.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yes, fixed it, I am a dipshit.

we're all dipshits here in Basic D&D :tipshat:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

six weeks jfc

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

snoo posted:

Cum
O
V
I
Deaths

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

So can any smart doctors tell me if IL-6 inhibitors have any nasty side effects or if they aren't actually that effective for stopping the covid cytokine storm? I'm real tempted to gamble on them given that there are trial results coming out this month and next.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

COVID-19 MAY 2020 USA CUM DEATHS GUESSING GAME
Guess how many cumulative deaths we have on worldometer's COVID-19 report for May 31st for the USA. The closest guess gets the satisfaction of being smarter than a bunch of idiot epidemiologists. If you are dead on May 31st, you may not redeem this prize. The guessing window closes at +07:00 GMT on May 2nd.

2 hours to go. 209 guesses. The median has shifted to 169420.5!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

MadJackal posted:

Yes, take your hand, the most likely vector to get you sick, and stick it directly under your mask so you can hotbox COVID.

This is exactly why most people wearing N95s are just as much at risk as people wearing bandanas.

A small price to pay to comply with our surveillance systems.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

I hope masks become standard fashion because it is a giant gently caress you to our surveillance state. If you work in computer vision you're a cop.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Woofer posted:

It sure does make unlocking my iPhone inconvenient though :(

Just get your face on a mask

https://twitter.com/djbaskin/status/1256302392611500032

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Thank you to all 212 people that guessed. I will put everything up tomorrow with an analysis that will make Schnorkles proud.

Someone guessed 100 million but I didn't put their name down for some reason so a mystery person will probably win. Data entry is hard.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

shovelbum posted:

are ~ASIAN~ hornet scare articles a china war consent manufacturing thing

These hornets loving suck and are a major pest so consider my consent manufactured.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

COVID-19 MAY 2020 USA CUM DEATHS GUESSING GAME

Thank you to everyone that guessed, especially those hoping for resurrection or megadeath, your voices matter too.

There are 215 guesses in total, the median guess is 169421. As of April 30th, there were 63856 deaths.

Here are all of the guesses (and here is a link to the guess spreadsheet):

Worldometer resets a bit after 00:00 GMT every day, and I will try to keep daily updates rolling.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Doc Fission posted:

drat did I miss the guessing window. Still excited tho

You're at spot 133 with 200069

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

seems like my entire social media feed of irl friends has stopped giving a gently caress and they’re all going out without masks to beaches and parks. Feel like I’m going insane. gently caress it

I'm expecting a lot more of this as people exhaust their vigilance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

I've also added some professional models to the guessing pool. If I figure out a good way to make lower and upper bounds for the C-SPAM guesses I'll add them in (but I may have to discard some outliers).

Overall our median guess of 169421 is the second highest in this list. We'll see who is right, idiot epidemiologists or enlightened C-SPAM.