Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha ok but seriously what should we do about the entrenched Bowsetteers
This poll is closed.
Join them 106 13.23%
Convince them to move on, to Melinda Megamelons 39 4.87%
Abstain 16 2.00%
28 3.50%
14 1.75%
32 4.00%
429 53.56%
Flame grenadegg 112 13.98%
10 1.25%
15 1.87%
Total: 801 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
thinking about the quality of the drawing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sakura Wars has been loving dangerous because now I loving love playing koi-koi.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
sludge life

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

God, I really want to like Control but it has so many problems. How do you design a map this useless? Why does every enemy attack have a damage spread between 1 and 40% of your health? Who decided every enemy besides the exploders should move in complete ninja silence until they can put a rocket up your rear end? What's supposed to be the point of the procgen missions? Why does dying put you halfway back across the complex?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 31, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hwurmp posted:

God, I really want to like Control but it has so many problems. How do you design a map this useless? Why does every enemy attack have a damage spread between 1 and 40% of your health? Who decided every enemy besides the exploders should move in complete ninja silence until they can put a rocket up your rear end? What's supposed to be the point of the procgen missions? Why does dying put you halfway back across the complex?

It's not just you. Control is wildly overrated. The lore is great but it really should have either had no combat or have been much more forgiving. Even on Normal, the early bosses are loving terrible because you have no safe or easy way too regain health, you have very little health in the first place, and their attacks are mostly undodgeable bullshit

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All damage in Control is avoidable. Use shield more and levitate.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Throw poo poo constantly, use your shield. I basically only ever used Grip/Shatter/Spin for the gun really. Even then like 90% of my kills were from throwing poo poo. The flying guys who dodge your throws can't dodge an immediate followup throw. They should usually be a first priority. When a rocket fires it makes a very distinct and noticeable sound. If you put up shield as soon as you hear it you will usually take no damage. Just use shield a lot, its super useful to mitigate damage. The amount of health dropped is partially dependent on how many hits the enemy takes. Killing them with Spin will take longer, but make more health.

Once you get the mind control power you are officially on easy mode. Nothing outside of bosses is immune. Take over scrub, then move up to bigger enemies. Any named enemy you mind control will be a huge asset. The biggest value in Mind Control is not the extra damage, its redirecting enemy fire away from you. Oh, and if you see one of those orb jackasses that heals nearby enemies prioritize mind controlling it immediately. It gives you the exact same benefit. Enemies under mind control just die when the time runs out. You can also open fire on them without any penalty, so certain challenges can be made a little easier.

Also, if you aren't levitating about 70% of the time I can see having trouble.

In terms of personal mods I would say that the three best are Dodge Cost Reduction, Throw Cost Reduction and Energy Recharge Speed. I never saw a compelling reason to use any of the other ones. Weapon mods just use what feels right.

Edit: Bosses are a little rough, but if you treat them as damage races rather than a battle of attrition you will usually clear them with no trouble.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 31, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

precision posted:

It's not just you. Control is wildly overrated. The lore is great but it really should have either had no combat or have been much more forgiving. Even on Normal, the early bosses are loving terrible because you have no safe or easy way too regain health, you have very little health in the first place, and their attacks are mostly undodgeable bullshit

Let me tell you about the final boss in Quantum Break and his gigantic AOE instakill attack.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

All damage in Control is avoidable. Use shield more and levitate.

I said "first few bosses", I didn't have Levitate until the... fourth boss, I think? There are 2 or 3 boss type encounters where all you have is Gun and Pull

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I always feel like I'm taking crazy pills when people talk about Control's difficulty because the combat felt so natural and intuitive to me. Even the usual problem bosses people complain about never took me more than a few tries, and I always felt like the interplay between all your powers and the guns was just perfect. I even did the repeatable expeditions for a few hours and got my Tier 3 run times down to 11-12 minutes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How do you know when you can put down your shield and not instantly lose 80% of your health and be in an unrecoverable death spiral through the next fight?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Shield activates almost instantly and has much more coverage than the animation would seem to indicate. You can also levitate, dodge etc. while holding down shield to reposition. Fully upgraded it'll absorb an entire volley from the flying dudes or the stealth screaming ladies. Enemy accuracy is heavily reduced while floating and you can't be meleed. If you HP seems low, I'd suggest slotting in a health mod or two and fully upgrading that side of the skill tree if you haven't already.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I only had like 16 ability points and no Levitate, "just max all your poo poo out" isn't gonna work

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The game does open up quite a bit after you get Levitate, both in terms of the exploration and combat. I think it immediately follows My Brother's Keeper in the main storyline. However, I think between dash and shield you're given enough to survive some of those earlier fights. I don't want to say "watch me play a video game" but I did make a capture awhile ago around the point you described in the story, if you think it will help you any! Something helpful to know is that dash will cancel your launch animation so you can recover much faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_z8uo9WOoo&t=222s

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the reason people complain about Control is just that it didn't feel like a game that should have hard combat in the first place. There's nothing less atmospheric than a long load screen and trying bosses over and over

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's more than clear enough that you're supposed to alternate between throwing stuff at dudes, shooting dudes, shielding when something nasty's coming, mind controlling a dude when you can, etc. And sometimes it works very well! But then sometimes it doesn't. And when it doesn't, I'm not left with any clear idea of what I did wrong. And I've also been sent so far back that I don't really feel like giving it another try.

For example, I failed the shield tutorial three times because the shield was just not blocking bullets, no matter how I tried to move or aim it.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 31, 2020

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
so what is a game that y'all have intense nostalgia for but also cannot stand playing anymore?

For me this is WoW. I still think that maybe no other game is as successful in presenting the scale and scope of the world. Flying in wow is more impactful that in anything other game, off the top of my head only Xenoblade X comes close, which makes their multi-year tantrum about flying all the more amusing and frustrating. Even writing this a part of me is tempted to log in and level a character, even though BfA sucks I still had a good time leveling a couple of characters through it.

But while it's always been a Skinner box, it's clear that rentention and FOMO are the primary design directions for it now, with fun and engagement being distant second. FFXIV is far from perfect but it respects me as a player far more, I can almost always easily tell how long something will take to get and I almost never feel like I'm setting myself back by taking a break.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FFXIV should have told me I was in for three hours of box-delivery adventure.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

so what is a game that y'all have intense nostalgia for but also cannot stand playing anymore?

For me this is WoW. I still think that maybe no other game is as successful in presenting the scale and scope of the world. Flying in wow is more impactful that in anything other game, off the top of my head only Xenoblade X comes close, which makes their multi-year tantrum about flying all the more amusing and frustrating. Even writing this a part of me is tempted to log in and level a character, even though BfA sucks I still had a good time leveling a couple of characters through it.

But while it's always been a Skinner box, it's clear that rentention and FOMO are the primary design directions for it now, with fun and engagement being distant second. FFXIV is far from perfect but it respects me as a player far more, I can almost always easily tell how long something will take to get and I almost never feel like I'm setting myself back by taking a break.

WoW is definitely that for me. Played from BC through to Pandas and have an embarassing amount of played time in there.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I would like to vent: this boss in Throne of Bhaal

Let’s see: I attack four times per round, each attack has a 1/20 chance of hitting him, each hit damages him for 5 hp, and he has 200 hp, one round is 6 seconds, so how long should this take overall?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think that's 20 minutes on average? 20% chance to hit him each round, I need 40 hits to kill him, that means 200 rounds on average, which means 1,200 seconds, so 20 minutes?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ah, at low health he restores himself to full

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hang in there j dawg

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Remember your training

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Agreed that Control would have been 10/10 with no combat

Zushio
May 8, 2008
The only game last year better than Control was Judgment. :colbert:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Why are you soloing him

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Why are you soloing him

It hasn’t been a problem until now

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I went and had dinner

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Jay Rust posted:

Have you considered gathering your party?

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
For Control just power up throwing to MAX and 1-shot most stuff. Guns are OK but not great. Some bosses/mob room still suck. I had to rely on line-of-sight type cover at some points despite this clearly not being a cover based game just to make sure I didn't get 2 or 3 shotted by a boss. And yea I hated the map. Doom style 3D map would've improved the experience a lot. Also rocket launcher guys are forever annoying. Upon entering a mob room I'd just wait for the first rocket to attack so I knew where he was and take him out ASAP, ignoring/dodging/running from all other stuff.

precision posted:

I think the reason people complain about Control is just that it didn't feel like a game that should have hard combat in the first place. There's nothing less atmospheric than a long load screen and trying bosses over and over

Yep really can't stand the combo of long load screen + unskippable cutscene. Happened with one of Control's side bosses for me (the fridge) and I got so annoyed at not just dying, but having to wait all this extra time to get back into the fight. Almost quit the game then and there. Terrible.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 1, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think 24 hours elapsed in-game so his physical immunity buff expired

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

June Thread: Here comes a new challenger!

PS5 reveal Friday :neckbeard:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the game of the month for june is duke nukem 3D

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Yeah WoW for me too. I've played every expansion at least a bit (although I didn't get too far in either Cata or Mists before getting distracted) and I think my total playtime is something like four months. I want those four months back. It's crazy how bad the game is in 2020.

I really wish Blizzard put WoW on life support a decade ago and put their efforts into making a more modern MMO, rather than desperately stretching WoW for all these years.

stev fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 1, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

stev posted:

I really wish Blizzard put WoW on life support a decade ago and put their efforts into making a more modern MMO, rather than desperately stretching WoW for all these years.

I think they tried that but it became Overwatch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Relax Or DIE posted:

eve online

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
i really really like the mechanics of how things work in eve but the level of playtime required to do anything at all is too much give me a single player version or something

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i think it would be nice if the june chat thread title somehow addressed what's going on right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Looper posted:

i think it would be nice if the june chat thread title somehow addressed what's going on right now
june chat thread: hotgirlvideos69 strikes back