Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't know what's funnier, the idea of Karens in Europe or this poster settled with finality the question of whether Jews are white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1257713578544640001?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't know what level of irony reality is operating on right now

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The last few years have definitely been a crack ping moment for me in realizing that the US is no poo poo for real an empire in decline and the structural problems are so deep that it would require a new generation to spend all their efforts fixing the problems they inherited while the rest of the world (China, mainly) fills in the void left over.

Anyway lol

https://twitter.com/MarkAgee/status/1258296086566854656?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/jangelooff/status/1258525302705160193

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Schadenboner posted:

What happen to he big bitey catte Mantacore?

:ohdear:

E: Looks like it wasn't destroyed because they did a thing together in 2009 and: Mantacore died on March 19, 2014 after a brief illness. He was 17 years old.

I'm not sure how to feel about the story from the trainer last year who said that Mantacore wasn't trying to heroically save Roy from a stroke or anything but Roy activated his "gently caress off" instincts due to a combination of Mantacore not being very cooperative that night (he's a cat), Roy not really spending much time with the animals over the years and finally instead of leading Mantacore in a circle around to get him into position he just nudged him in the side with his hand which any cat owner can tell you would at the very minimum annoy your cat and most likely get you swatted at. Roy backed up which made Mantacore realize he was retreating and therefore weak so he lunged at him. When they made it backstage the trainers pulled him off Roy by sticking their hand in his mouth which irritated him enough to let go and then he just wandered away like everything was normal.

Any cat owner can tell you that this is all pretty normal cat behaviour just scaled up to one that could accidentally kill you without a second thought.

:stare:

Eej fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 10, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/rkgwork/status/1259466509354762240?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ok here some feel good news of the (3) day(s ago)

https://twitter.com/TheJewishDream/status/1258826739855351808

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/chickenpaprika/status/1259953350298275840?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Stravag posted:

Double rainbow guy died. Non rona related but dude was only 57

About that...

quote:

Mr. Vasquez had been in ill health recently and posted about it on his Facebook page. On May 5, he was tested for COVID-19 and posted a picture, captioned in part, “I’ll get my results in two days, however at this point I’m fairly certain that I don’t have it. I didn’t have a fever. Something else is going on with me.”

Two days earlier, he had posted that he was feverish and was having trouble breathing, but had no intention of visiting a hospital, let alone dying in one. “Whatever happens I’m ready for it, I’m happy to experience it all, it might only be pollen and I’ll have more time in my apartment, if it’s the virus and it’s my time to recycle I look forward to coming back to a new body and starting over, whatever happens I’m enjoying the ride,” part of the May 3 post reads.

https://www.modbee.com/news/local/article242633931.html

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh great, so the malfunctioning simulation that is our hellscape reality is now being run by the 7-dimensional equivalent of 4chan.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1259985564033564672?s=19

🤡

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/mcclure111/status/1260253678692433920?s=19

Yuuuup

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Daily reminder that men loving suck

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...hit-on-her.html

quote:

Auckland woman 'creeped out' after restaurant worker uses her contact tracing details to hit on her

While New Zealand is being told to share their personal information to help contact tracing, Newshub has discovered an example where it can go wrong.

An Auckland woman says she feels shaken and vulnerable after a North Shore restaurant worker misused her personal information to make numerous approaches to her.

Newshub understands a Subway restaurant worker has now been suspended after the woman complained.

"I had to put my details on their contact tracing form which I didn't think anything of. It asked for my name, home address, email address and phone number so I put all those details down," she tells Newshub.

Except in Jess's case she didn't just take away a sandwich from the Subway restaurant she was at. She also got a Facebook request, Instagram request, Facebook messenger approach and a text from the guy who served her, using her contact tracing details.

"I felt pretty gross, he made me feel really uncomfortable," she says.

"He's contacting me, I didn't ask him to do that, I don't want that.

"I'm lucky that I live with quite a few people because if that was me by myself at home - he knows my address you know - I'd feel really, really scared. Even now I feel a bit creeped out and vulnerable."

It's left Jess so rattled she doesn't want her identity known, but she's telling her story in the hope others won't have to go through the same thing.

The Privacy Commission says businesses should only be custodians of the information they're given for public health purposes and it's concerned this sort of incident could make the public wary of leaving their details.

"It's absolutely essential that businesses treat this information exclusively for pandemic management," says Privacy Commissioner John Edwards.

"If they let it be abused by staff members it's going to undermine the whole system and that can put people at risk."

Subway says it's spoken to the woman and the employee has been suspended, pending the outcome of an investigation.

If found to have misused personal information, they'll be disciplined.

"You just want to know that that information is protected and it's not going to be misused for some dude to just text you because he fancies you, that's not the point of the information," Jess says.

Subway says that from Wednesday, a new digital contact tracing system will be in place at all restaurants. Guests will register their details electronically and information will be held securely for the purposes of contact tracing. The information can only be accessed in response to government contact tracing requests.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fister Roboto posted:

I never said it could, I'm just sick of people acting like M4A is some unreasonable pie in the sky demand. Especially the way people are framing it, like those dang childish lefties are ruining our chances of getting more "reasonable" policies enacted.

Politicians saying they don't support a popular policy because it's not likely to pass should be a huge mark against them. That's their whole drat job, to get popular policies to pass. They're admitting defeat without even putting up a fight.

Please, we're still in the month of respect Ace for calmly explaining to us that passing things that suck is better than trying to pass things that don't suck.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/conorsen/status/1263527248763793419

amazing

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

mlmp08 posted:

Facebook sucks, but it really does matter regarding compensation vs location. Cutting after the fact is lovely, but I’d take a job for a given salary in a cheaper location but refuse the same job/pay in downtown NYC or SF or whatever.

Having the company outright say they're going to sliding scale your wages so that everyone gets the same amount of disposable income regardless of where they live is stupid as poo poo if these workers were hired in person and paid the same until they moved to a cheaper ZIP code. They are literally not being paid the value of their labour but rather what the company determines is an appropriate amount of money based on cost of living. Your value doesn't go down when you do the exact same quality of work (as Facebook is allowing for WFH in perpetua) but your physical location is cheaper.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also by the way, Hong Kong is... pretty much done

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/05/21/world/asia/hong-kong-china.html

quote:

BEIJING — China signaled on Thursday it would move forward with laws that would take aim at antigovernment protests and other dissent in Hong Kong. It is the clearest message yet that the Communist Party is moving to undermine the civil liberties the semiautonomous territory has known since the 1997 British handoff.

The proposal to enact new security laws affecting Hong Kong was announced ahead of the annual meeting of China’s legislature, which is expected to approve a broad outline of the plan. While specifics of the proposal were not immediately disclosed, the rules could be harsher than anything Hong Kong’s pro-Beijing government has done to curb opposition to the mainland.

The freedoms that have distinguished Hong Kong from the mainland, like an unfettered judiciary and freedom of assembly, have helped the former British colony prosper as a global city of commerce and capital. But the proposal raised the possibility that the Beijing government would damage the “one country, two systems” policy that has ensured such liberties since the territory was reclaimed by China.

The plan also revives the threat of violent demonstrations that convulsed the city for months, and risks worsening China’s deteriorating relationship with the Trump administration, which said the United States would respond strongly to any crackdown in Hong Kong.

In the Communist Party’s view, tightened security laws in Hong Kong are necessary to protect China from external forces determined to impinge on its sovereignty. The legislation would give Beijing power to counter the Hong Kong protests, which are seen as a blatant challenge to the party and China’s leader, Xi Jinping.

Security rules proposed by the Hong Kong government in 2003 would have empowered the authorities to close seditious newspapers and conduct searches without warrants. That proposal was abandoned after it triggered large protests.

This time, China is effectively circumventing the Hong Kong government, undercutting the relative autonomy granted to the territory. Instead, it is going through China’s rubber stamp legislature, the National People’s Congress, which holds its annual session starting Friday.

Zhang Yesui, spokesman for the National People’s Congress, said at a news briefing on Thursday that delegates would review a plan to create a legal framework and enforcement mechanism for safeguarding national security in Hong Kong. He did not elaborate on the details of the plan.

“National security is the bedrock underpinning the stability of the country,” Mr. Zhang said. “Safeguarding national security serves the fundamental interest of all Chinese, Hong Kong compatriots included.”

In a clear effort to head off international concerns, China’s Foreign Ministry sent a letter on Thursday night to ambassadors posted to Beijing, urging them to support the legislation and laying out the government’s position.

“The opposition in Hong Kong have long colluded with external forces to carry out acts of secession, subversion, infiltration and destruction against the Chinese mainland,” the letter stated.

It drew criticism from Morgan Ortagus, the State Department spokeswoman in Washington. “Any effort to impose national security legislation that does not reflect the will of the people of Hong Kong would be highly destabilizing, and would be met with strong condemnation from the United States and the international community,” she said.

The protests in Hong Kong started in June last year after the local government tried to enact an extradition law that would have allowed residents to be transferred to the mainland to face an opaque and often harsh judicial system. Though the Hong Kong authorities later withdrew the bill, the demonstrations continued over broader political demands, including a call for free elections and an independent investigation into police conduct.

The Hong Kong government and protesters have both adopted largely uncompromising positions, and demonstrations often descended into clashes between protesters hurling Molotov cocktails and police officers firing tear gas and rubber bullets. While the protests have been muted during the coronavirus pandemic, the frustrations in the city have simmered.

And as the protests have persisted, Beijing has become increasingly vocal in its objections.

China has denounced the protests as acts of terrorism and accused Western nations of fomenting the unrest. The party’s Central Committee, a conclave of about 370 senior officials, set the legislative measures in motion in October when it announced after a four-day meeting that it would roll out new steps to “safeguard national security” in Hong Kong.

Mr. Xi, one of China’s most powerful leaders in decades, warned in December that the party would not allow challenges to its authority or the interference of “external forces,” a veiled rebuke to the protest movement in Hong Kong.

One month later, the party signaled it was taking a harder line when it replaced its top representative in Hong Kong with a senior official with a record of working closely with the security services. Whereas the party had until recently left the handling of the crisis to the city’s chief executive, Carrie Lam, Beijing is now weighing in more directly with warnings not to test its patience.

On Thursday, the People’s Daily, the official mouthpiece of the Chinese Communist Party, and Xinhua, the state-run news agency, ran commentaries calling for the “tumor” of pro-independence sentiment in Hong Kong to be excised. Neither specified how this might be done.

Chinese officials have long been frustrated that the Hong Kong government has been unable to pass its own security legislation. Article 23 of the Basic Law, the mini-constitution governing Hong Kong’s status under China, requires the territory to “enact laws on its own to prohibit any act of treason, secession, sedition and subversion” against the Chinese government.

The protests have only intensified the calls for such rules. Pro-Beijing leaders in Hong Kong have said that stringent laws are needed to prevent further street violence and protect China’s national sovereignty.

The legislation to be put forward in Beijing is “not necessarily a stopgap measure but a necessary means to plug some glaring loopholes in Hong Kong’s national security laws,” said Lau Siu-kai, a former senior Hong Kong government official who is now vice president of the Chinese Association of Hong Kong and Macau Studies, an elite Beijing advisory group.

Mr. Lau said that the legislature would pave the way for its top committee to draft security laws specific to Hong Kong. Beijing blames much of the unrest in the semiautonomous territory on interference by unseen foreign forces, and the focus of the coming legislation would be to stop that meddling, he said.

“The main purpose is to demonstrate Beijing’s determination and ability to safeguard sovereignty and national security and to end the turmoil in Hong Kong,” he added.

Almost immediately, the move by the Chinese legislature prompted concerns about the ramifications for Hong Kong and condemnation by the city’s democracy advocates.

On internet forums and chat groups frequently used to organize protests, some people expressed concerns about whether their past conversations could implicate them should the new laws be passed. Others urged users to download virtual private networking services to cloak their identities, while some debated whether to delete their chat histories and disband the discussion groups.

“Hong Kong independence is the only way out,” chanted a group of protesters gathered in a luxury shopping mall on Thursday.

Users flocked to LIHKG, a Reddit-like forum popular with protesters, to trade jokes about how the impending legislation would change life in the city. Some users said they would swear allegiance to China with oaths laced with references to the protests, while others bid farewell to the city as they knew it.

Nathan Law, a pro-democracy advocate, urged protesters not to give up. “At this time last year, didn’t we believe that the extradition law was sure to pass? Hong Kongers have always created miracles,” he wrote on Facebook.

The imposition of security legislation in Hong Kong also represents a fresh blow to the confidence of investors, tourists and others who have helped propel the city to prosperity over the past half century.

Retail sales started dropping last summer during the city’s street protests and further slumped as the coronavirus epidemic took hold. Rents and real estate prices have started to fall. Some of the city’s citizens and expatriates are looking to more politically stable islands, like Singapore and Taiwan, to live and park their cash.

Hong Kong has long served to channel money between China and the outside world. But a broader security crackdown by Beijing may prompt more investors to worry that Hong Kong is no longer beyond China’s authoritarian reach.

“This is the end of Hong Kong,” said Dennis Kwok, an opposition lawmaker. “I foresee that the international status of Hong Kong as a city — an international city — will be gone very soon.”

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BigDave posted:

Hot drat!

I thought it got cancelled because the animators tried to unionize?

It front and centers adult swim so they probably found a new backer.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Knives Amilli posted:

ngl id take 85k in the suburbs of Dallas vs 100k in the Bay Area

100k in the Bay Area means you're probably not working at FB lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/kxcii2/status/1263064566172450816?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I thought this was bad

https://twitter.com/blogTO/status/1264306674296393728?s=19

But then I saw this

https://twitter.com/AnandWrites/status/1263818537132531714?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Bad Poster posted:

That last one, yeesh. "I have private things to shop for"? What do you do when you get to the checkout?

She's basically reciting that boilerplate Facebook post about ADA requiring them to accomodate her disability (unable to breathe properly with mask on), HIPAA protecting the nature of her disability from being divulged to retail staff (it doesn't) and general privacy about the nature of her purchases to avoid having someone shop for her (lol). It's brazen considering it's not like Facebook is a private site and that image didn't go viral last week.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorspicks/article/Sweden-herd-immunity-experiment-backfires-covid-15289437.php

quote:

'The price you pay': Sweden's 'herd immunity' experiment backfires

Unlike its Nordic neighbors, Sweden decided early on in the pandemic to forgo lockdown in the hope of achieving broad immunity to the coronavirus. While social distancing was promoted, the government allowed bars, restaurants, salons, gyms and schools to stay open.

Initially, Sweden saw death rates from COVID-19 that were similar to other European nations that had closed down their economies. But now the Scandinavian nation’s daily death toll per 1 million people is 8.71 compared to the United States’ 4.59, according to online publication Our World in Data. Sweden's mortality rate is the highest in Europe.

"I’d say it hasn’t worked out so well," said Dr. George Rutherford, professor of epidemiology at the University of California, San Francisco. "I think the mortality in Norway is something like ten-fold lower. That’s the real comparator." (Norway's daily death rate is less than .01 per 1 million people.)

"If you let this go or don’t try very hard or go about it in somewhat of a more restrained way rather than we have here, this is the price you pay," Rutherford said. "Maybe it didn’t hurt businesses, but you have twice the mortality rate of the United States. All those people who died were part of families and they were citizens and part of the fabric of Swedish society. And now they’re gone because of a policy that hasn’t worked out quite the way they thought it would."

Scientists estimate herd immunity for the coronavirus is reached when 70-90% of the population becomes immune to a virus, either by becoming infected or getting a protective vaccine.

Despite its relaxed response, Sweden is nowhere near to hitting that goal. Tests on 1,118 Stockholm residents carried out by Sweden's Public Health Agency over one week in late April showed that only 7.3% had developed the antibodies needed to stave off the disease.

The country's chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell said the number was a "little lower" than expected "but not remarkably lower, maybe one or a couple of percent,” CNN reported. But the public health agency previously said it expected about 25% of the population to have been infected by May 1, according to the Guardian.

“I think herd immunity is a long way off, if we ever reach it,” Björn Olsen, a professor of infectious medicine at Uppsala University, told Reuters after the release of the antibody findings.

Other countries that instituted shelter-in-place measures realized antibody counts in their populations that are not that far behind Sweden’s. In Spain, for example, 5% of the population had developed antibodies as of May 14, according to a government epidemiological study.

UCSF's Rutherford estimated that 2.5% of the U.S. population has been infected with the coronavirus. To possibly reach herd immunity, "you're going to have to get close to 100% of the population being antibody-positive," he said.

"Now there's a tremendous cost in mortality for doing that, and there's lots of other strategies. It's not this or a vaccine, those aren't the choices," Rutherford said.

He said we can keep doing non-pharmaceutical interventions like contact tracing, mask wearing and isolation quarantines, but also develop drugs that work better treating people who already have the infection so they don't require critical care in a hospital.

Sweden’s government insists that it does not have a herd immunity strategy, but Swedish virolgist Lena Einhorn said that “they have denied it, but under their breaths they have acknowledged” the strategy, according to France24.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only thing missing from that Twitch streamer clip was a crazed mom running into the room thinking he'd finally shot himself.

What I love is how in the open/concealed carry community there's always such animosity against people who carry on an empty chamber, and modify their guns to be even *less* safe because YOU GOTTA BE READY AT THE "MOMENT OF TRUTH" AND MILLISECONDS COUNT HURF DURF AAAAAAAA.

Someone pointed out the punching bag in the background just moving on its own and I can't stop laughing at how pathetic this guy is

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's been almost a decade since Trayvon Martin and nothing has changed, can't blame em for setting poo poo on fire

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
BigDave coming at you to consider praxis and ya'll just dismissing him smh

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/___0HOUR1/status/1265853069436137472?s=19

lol

-lets a bunch of white looters go by
-tries to knife the first black person that comes out the door
-gets blasted by a fire extinguisher by a white dude

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/kept_simple/status/1266214377100886016?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
America, y'all done hosed up

https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/1266453337857118208?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Trump, length and tower in the same sentence are making me uncomfortable

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Someone say NYC?

https://twitter.com/jasonlemon/status/1266529475757510656?s=21

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
African-American Music Appreciation Month doesn't have the same ring to it as Infrastructure Week but it's a heckuva upgrade

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Imagine being the fat white cop who got his bike thrown by a woman with twig arms

https://twitter.com/ava/status/1266797973834395648?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/zayer_dounya/status/1266553959973445639?s=19

Re: the video from yesterday, she's in the hospital for head trauma and had a seizure and constant vomiting

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ah, American police givin' people the ol' Palestinian treatment

https://twitter.com/KillerMartinis/status/1266786725185142784

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/skye_rtin/status/1266877962877460480?s=19

SWAT giving the ol OK Boomer

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1266906566080544778?s=19

Ahaha

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/ali/status/1266622746571800576?s=19

Also my roommate couldn't sleep so they started looking at videos on a hunch and there are a ton of white dudes with clean boards doing a lot of the looting and vandalism. Are skateboards and backpacks like a standard loadout for punk rear end kids looking to start some poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ZombieApostate posted:

I'm just a dipshit white idiot living with my parents who are old enough that I'm scared of bringing coronavirus home, but I've been watching streams from protesters the last few days and it looks like they haven't been using counter strategies that protesters have been using in, for example, Hong Kong. I don't know how to get in contact with somebody who might be able to do something with this information.

Things like traffic cones on tear gas grenades:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw1NeQPqNW4

Chanting time so people don't get trampled while retreating:
https://twitter.com/antd/status/1155449766211280898

Bringing shields for the rubber bullets, umbrellas to block pepper spray, they've got a whole hand signal system, etc.

There's all sorts of resources if you google for a couple minutes. A lot of them overlap, and some of them probably aren't as useful here, but it seems like employing some of these strategies would help keep them from getting dispersed by the police so easily.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/g28928579/hong-kong-protest-methods/
https://www.newstatesman.com/world/2019/08/be-water-seven-tactics-are-winning-hong-kongs-democracy-revolution
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/blossom-everywhere-hong-kong-protesters-evolve-tactics
https://medium.com/@roryireland/new-protest-tactics-in-hong-kong-674ae256af1

And that's just Hong Kong. There's probably more from other countries.

By and large the protests are at their core peaceful. They're not expecting to walk into raining tear gas and walls of rubber flying at them. I'm sure if the organizers planned to become more confrontational they would suit up but even right now there's a lot of black protesters arguing with antifa-wannabe turds to stop trying to escalate.