Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Force de Fappe posted:

I'm really worried about a whole bunch of people, how they're going to take it in November when they find out they've got four more years of Trump ahead of them. They scraped together a kind of optimism in 2016 by counting down the days. That's not gonna come this time.

Cheer up, there's a great chance Biden will win anyway because Trump is so terrible*

*solidifying the idea that dem politics is primarily about peeling off enough right wing old people and rich suburbanites to squeak over the line, as the seas continue to rise and the average person slips further down into misery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

How come the "it's a hoax" and the "it's a Chinese bioweapon" people never argue with each other. These are directly opposite messages and yet they're being pumped in tandem down the same conservative propaganda pipelines

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

A Bad Poster posted:

He's just a giant computer nerd who made some good bets during the dot com boom, so now just because he has a bunch of money, people feel obligated to listen to him.

https://twitter.com/sweetbeans99/status/1257680828500328449?s=21

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The thing that gets me is, if it's a manufactured Chinese superweapon, doesn't that make Trump look worse for not taking it seriously? It seems absolutely bizarre as a defend the Pres propaganda move. And yet

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/byheatherlong/status/1260556783787089920?s=21

Things status: bad

I don't think our elites are remotely comprehending the situation we're in, because the equity markets aren't bad and that alone is "the economy" for the media and politicians.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'd do normal stuff. Have some weird sex with women who hate me, eat some burned steak and iceberg lettuce slathered in mayo dressing. Maybe start a fun new global warming denialist group. Give PBS .0001% of my income so they both sides my global warming denialist group.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Open carry is so loving dumb outside of a deep backcountry context where the only “two legged predator” you have to worry about is a huge grizzly bear rearing up on its legs because it’s about to eat you. Otherwise, if you’re at the point where militias openly brandishing weapons for the sake of community defense is a thing you need, then you’re pretty much at “condition: gently caress the law” to begin with.

They actively want to kick off civil war 2 because 1) think they'll win and 2) they don't feel great about their odds in democracy, long term. They're probably right about the first one at least. If Trump lost in 2016 I think pushing for a right wing coup would be completely mainstream right thinking at the moment.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/fritschner/status/1261333237885960193?s=21

Dems are not putting automatic stabilizers in the next relief bill proposal. If automatic stabilizers were there, it would mean that if future stimulus is needed within defined perameters, it's automatic and already passed. So not having those means that if Biden wins, McConnell can demand concessions each time.

The stated reason for not doing this is that gosh darn CBO scoring. There is no stated reason why they are deciding to care about the CBO score here.

The actual effect here is creating a situation in the near future where we get lots more posts in gip about how neo-pelosi did her best but gosh darn we have no choice but to give ICE mechas and authorize debt bondage again. Shucks!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I believe Pelosi explicitly has stated she tries to position herself towards the center of the party, and I believe that's fairly common for speakers/legislative party leaders to do in general. Of course, it makes sense—if you're trying to herd cats/wrangle legislators, you want to be in a position where you can appease as many people within the part as possible (And, of course, gather as many favors).

Of course, it's also both funny and sad that as much flak as Pelosi (often deservedly) gets, she's still probably the most effective speaker of the past thirty years. Which of course is damning with faint praise considering the competition is Newt Gingrich, Dennis "Literal pedophile" Hastert, John Boehnor, and Paul Ryan. Ryan in particular will probably go down as one of the weakest speakers this country has had in a very long while—while obviously the House Freedom Caucus made his job extremely difficult, it's still impressive just how ineffective he was.

Ryan got the tax cut he'd spent his whole career fighting for. He didn't get to kill social security, but batting .500 ain't bad. What are pelosi's policy goals and which has she accomplished?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

That letter does a lot of work to not actually say he takes it

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

joe and mika are balls deep for biden so its not surprising

joe had an intern die of a heart thing while in congress, thats what trump is screaming about

It was an intern he was having an affair with. She died of head trauma in his office, but per a Florida medical examiner the cause was she fainted and hit her head on the way down. It's super suspicious imo and the best argument for it just being a huge accident is Trump saying the opposite.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/senquezada29/status/1263301884606988288?s=21

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I work for a company that already does work from home + scaling income to where you were hired. What happens for people who stick around is they get hired in high income areas then eventually move to low income areas and never get a raise again but they still live like kings. But, and it's a big but - no one gets their pay outright cut due to a move. That's Facebook being really special to its own. Given the sort of moral behavior that company encourages this is inevitably going to lead to massive fraud and then massive surveillance to combat the fraud.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think Biden is the only dem Trump would be willing to debate, after how Hillary of all people wrecked him. Dems will not pull out of a debate because following the norms when engaging republicans is their core value. I think they're going to happen.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

To keep social bonds in working from home long term you have to be on the phone a lot and get good with small talk. I'm on the phone probably 3-4 hours a day and I am extremely up to date on the weather systems and traffic troubles of several US cities, accordingly.

So no I don't see tech companies pulling this off. I came from tech to my current company and it was a massive culture shock. What's going to happen in tech work from home is people will atomize and management will eventually replace everyone with far cheaper remote workers. It's not like Facebook is innovating anything anyway, you just need to keep the lights on for everything but your spyware and advertising divisions.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

I do worry that big tech corps that start ditching physical offices entirely wouldn't stop at letting their employees work in a barn in Nebraska for lower compensation, but instead go on to pushing through policy that makes it facile to just hire workers that are based entirely overseas and can be paid marginally higher than the American minimum wage, if even. We could look forward to a further hollowing out of the American middle class and a Rust Belt 2.0.

This is absolutely the future. Tech workers should have unionized when they had all the power. Instead they were getting into PUA and Rand cause they somehow imagined that their coding was irreplaceable work of genius.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Fallom posted:

People drive Teslas like loving idiots in a brand new way because of their insane torque and acceleration curve

Also if you're a person who believes the hype, they're perfectly safe and drive themselves and are basically future cars, so why not get risky, it'll be fine.

Musk is basically the Donald Trump of industry, and like Trump he's revealing there aren't actually rules anymore.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The thing about militia chuds is they are incredibly scared of black people, so I don't think too many are going to take up the invite.

As for the NG, I don't know anything about the MN NG, but I would bet they are more representative of and sympathetic to the community than the average cop.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Yes the officer pushed the old lady down the stairs, but on examination, her bones were unexpectedly brittle.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It sucks when people's hearts coincidentally explode when you just happen to be putting a knee on their big neck artery.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

Lol interviewing the woman who let this dude off this first time he did this poo poo.

I can't bear to watch but I'm going to guess they don't ask her about that at all?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Shocking twist update on the "everyone we're arresting is outside agitators" bit:

https://twitter.com/ajinvestigates/status/1266822263489339393?s=21

Whole lot of liberals who think they hate fake news were uncritically retweeting the government lies earlier.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Little is more telling about where we are than that mainline white conservatives live in terror of a non-existent organization called "anti fascist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I do wonder if this could be spun up under patriot act / bank secrecy act to compel financial institutions to doing due diligence they aren’t allowing “Antifa members” to have bank accounts. But that would take some work. Depends how much Barr feels like it I guess