Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brains
May 12, 2004

That Works posted:

Video in which a Republican governor details routing a plane full of corona tests from South Korea to land at a different airport (within his state) so that the state's National Guard and State Police can safeguard the shipment from the federal government.

https://twitter.com/postlive/status/1255878355016134656

poo poo like this is bananas if you think about it for a minute.

look at this actual implementation of the 2nd amendment, as the founders intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

was expecting a trump admin bay of piss moment, never expected it literally

brains
May 12, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Simple solution to this: stop reading opinion articles.

Seriously. They're a waste of time and type. I block opinion articles from my news feed now, and it's mildly cathartic. Had to block NYT altogether because half of their stories that hit my feed were opinion pieces. They can gently caress right off and I hope their properties all burn to the ground.

WaPo is just as bad and next on my ban list.

please recommend a good news aggregator i can read easily on my phone that lets me filter out every single opinion piece. for the love of god i don't want to see that poo poo but it's impossible with most news apps :( it's getting ridiculous, too, like 40-50% of "articles" are loving opinions or editorials now.

brains
May 12, 2004

Basticle posted:

tangentally related have you guys seen this absolutely amazing thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo2-fbBPWsc

My bootstraps grabbed themselves just listening to it.

drive like the dow depends on it

brains
May 12, 2004

joat mon posted:

https://withoutsanctuary.org
These are lynchings.
Vigilantes are bad.
Vigilante mobs are worse.
Racist vigilante mobs are worse yet.
But lynch mobs/ lynchings are worse yet by an order of magnitude.

It's OK if something is 'merely' terrible. It doesn't have to be tarted up to be the worst thing ever.
I hope lynchings don't come back like there were from reconstruction to the 20s, but if they do, what words will you use to describe them? You've will have already devalued the real words by attaching them to things that aren't lynchings as a lazy way to express your (righteous) anger that such inexcusable behavior engenders.
Keep the strong words for the things that need them most.

maybe, since in the last 100 years society has moved from describing lynchings as commonplace to a reviled, heinous act, we should recognize there is a lower baseline of unacceptable conduct now? like armed mobs with not-subtle LEO endorsement hunting down black people? to me, that sure seems like the absolute worst thing happening nowadays. yes, lynching is horrific, but (thank loving god) it doesn't happen on the scale it did. a single lynching today would be national news; a 100 years ago, it was a nightly occurrence all over america.

we should be condemning and prosecuting this poo poo in the strongest terms, because the reasoning "oh it's not lynching, that was even worse" ignores the progress already made. there was a huge effort to stop racist fucks from lynching blacks all the loving time, and really the pressure needs to keep going up. racist armed vigilante mobs aren't lynching, but it sure as gently caress is the gateway drug to that poo poo coming back, so it needs to be absolutely crushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

america's chief diplomat, folks