Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The Mighty Moltres posted:

The Jigsaw
An old man buys a jigsaw puzzle.

I find short horror stories like this disappointing. I know they're meant to be "classic", and maybe it's taken from a real short story, I didn't check. My problem with them is that the ending of the story is so blindingly obvious from the start that I expect some kind of twist, and it never comes. Very predictable.

The Quiet
A deaf girl grows impatient waiting for her mom to pick her up from the bus stop.

I don't know how to feel about this one. It wasn't great, maybe because the chase went on too long?

This never grabbed me, the way it does others, it's more of an art piece than anything. I get the message it's saying, and it's a good film (especially when looped, as intended) but it's not that scary unless you've had the pleasure of never wondering if there's just absolute nothing after you die.

Last time I watched this, that guy's phone was state of the art. It's still scary, and I like that it's chilling even if the girl is just at home, completely catatonic and walking the same last step over and over while counting. In fact I wish the end credits didn't have her steps echoing more and more and sounding like she's crunching on... something.

Octolady posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUQhNGEu2KA

The original short that was adapted into Lights Out is so much better than that whole movie!

First time seeing this, and it's really creepy! The fact that the monster breaks the original established rules is freaky.

It reminds me of another short film I can't remember the name of. A guy installs a new door to an outside entrance, and then realizes that it's always night outside that one entrance. I tried searching for it, and ironically all the results are for Lights Out.

I think this one started as a very short written story? And then there was an animated version? But it's much more terrifying this way. My favorite thing about it is it's not even hinted at, as far as I can tell, as to which kid is real. Just imagining this scenario where it's impossible to tell which one is the monster until it's too late.

In the same kind of idea, here's I Heard it Too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxRIWBoluzs

The original two-sentence story this is based on: A girl heard her mom yell her name from downstairs, so she got up and started to head down. As she got to the stairs, her mom pulled her into her room and said "I heard that, too." The short film gives up the mystery for a jump scare and makes it really obvious which one is evil. The original short story is really close to Tuck Me In, but that one is based on the fear of protecting a child, while I Heard it Too is based on some childhood fear about going to your parents for help, or something to that effect.

Local 58
There's something wrong with the moon.

There was actually a whole thread on creepy fake PSAs, wasn't there? After a few they're all mostly the same unless one happens to hit on one of your specific phobias or an idea you like. I guess they're like SCPs in that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PubicMice posted:

Time has no meaning, so I'm here to say that LifeLynx was thinking of The French Doors
https://youtu.be/7_Okf__vMI4?si=QoFI7pUzADFjv0G-

Hell yeah, thanks! Such a simple concept to film and it's so creepy it stuck with me for years.