Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

You just don't loving get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Seriously?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bullying works

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
YES MY DICK IS BIG

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Rules are rules.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Everyone's wrong but me.

PersonMan
Apr 3, 2009
You must have mistaken me for a clown, for a man of fun, for a goddamn fool. I don't work at medieval times for the laughs. I do it for chivalry.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe I'd do this

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Frankly I'll think you'll find it IS art

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
We take ourselves seriousLY, Christ. 🙄

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
God not another one of these threads

*rates 1*

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

It's not surprising you don't understand, it's a higher form of humour requiring a more developed intellect. You must learn to laugh at the jaded, misanthropic characters whilst analyzing the lessons they teach.

For you see...the protagonist, against all laws of God and Man, has transformed his mortal being into the most familiar of lunch accoutrements - the humble Pickle.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
*posts in D&D*
*is constantly outraged about things I have no control over*
*drinks heavily*
*was actually me for too many years*

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
*pays $10 to post on internet forum*

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
How loving dare you. Your life as you once knew it is now over, my twitter cronies will utterly DESTROY you for what you said about Steven Universe.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Just a heads up, I made a thread like this in like 2010. So if it doesn't go over that well it's because people are probably comparing it to that thread.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
*stock movie trailer record scratch*

Stop schemin, and lookin hard

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Firstly, I will address your ridiculous accusation.

I have never. NEVER. How loving dare you? Do you think this is some kind of game? Do you even comprehend how serious this is? That you would even begin to think you could allege such acts against my character is unfathomable! I have been a paragon of this community for decades, and not once has anyone questioned my integrity. The combination of audacity and hubris that you have demonstrated today is so impressive that if it were anything less disgraceful for yourself, you could inspire an entire generation of ballads. Were I a man of lesser dignity I would use a less civil means of providing you with some discipline, but being that I am forced to lead by example, I do not have the luxury of giving you the thrashing you truly deserve. If you value respect, whether it is your self-respect or the respect of others, I advise you to watch your loving tone.

Secondly,

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
mods?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921933

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm extremely serious right now.

*waggles dick at passing traffic*

You are so beneath my level that you don't even know what satirical message I'm conveying.

*starts to helicopter my dick around*

For I am the gadfly

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
ello, posters of C-SPAM!

Based on all the recent events, I am stepping down as IK.

Before I do, I would like to make one effort post about my thoughts about the whole situation. I apologize in advance if this all seems long winded and hyperbolic, but also I know I have earned a lot of goodwill from many posters here and would like to address the community with the best and fullest explanation I can muster.

I tried as hard as I possibly could to fight for this community and make the mods/admins see sense. And while I deeply regret that so many posters have lost faith in the forums (and I 100% understand why they have) I at least feel like I can walk away with my head held high, knowing I went out swinging for the fences.

The PPJ saga or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Mods

I think something that has been lost in the time since all of this occurred is the loving scope and stupidity of this entire situation and loving poorly it was managed all around. PPJ throwing himself on the sword and getting permabanned before he could fully explain the situation or actually, you know, apologize, also poured gasoline on this fire. The re-opening of QCS was also a mistake as it allowed many posters with clear grudges against C-SPAM and the people who post there to poo poo up the discussion surrounding all of this. While the discussion was confined to C-SPAM, I was at least able to probate people who were clearly intent on disrupting necessary discussion.

The most shocking aspect of all of this to me, is how so much of it could have been avoided with the simple and effective trick of communicating with your user base. I realize the mods are unpaid volunteers, but the role is in essence a customer service job and as someone who has worked many customer service jobs, the kind of response the mods have given here would get you fired from literally all of them.

Personally I consider the initial powder keg moment to be the “Happy Holidays Dickeye” month probe. Very shortly after it happened, a thread was created in D&D appealing the decision, since QCS was closed. Many posters from both D&D and C-SPAM questioned the obvious unfairness of the probation, and rather than say “I’m sorry” and undoing the month, PPJ decided to dig his heels in and completely ignore the requests of the posters of his subforum while insultingly reducing it to 14 days as a “compromise.”

If an apology and a full lifting of the probe (or even just making it the standard 3 day probation that the D&D primary thread was known for) had happened right then and there, there is an extremely high chance literally none of this forums drama would have happened. PPJ would have gone on happily playing Rust with his Nazi buddies while secretly moonlighting as Discord Tailor Soldier Spy and no one would have been the wiser.

There appears to be this giant misconceived fear from the mods that if they apologize for or even acknowledge a bad decision, the baying crowd of crazy C-SPAM posters will call for their blood. In reality, we have found exactly the opposite to be the case. When LK came in and actually apologized and tried his best to explain what happened and engage in a dialogue with the community, he was treated extremely fairly and helped calm tensions at a point when they were incredibly high. I don’t understand this reluctance to tell a community that was wronged that you’re sorry for what happened, even if you weren’t directly involved.

I would like to quote a part of PPJ’s now-infamous OP to hammer home how incredibly loving stupid PPJ was in the hopes that nothing ever happens like this again:

quote:
Finally another goon and I got tired of this. We messaged Lowtax and said, "hey can you like, uh, just delete the gaming garbage discord and remake it if you're going to use it going forward for streams or patreon or anything going forward. as it is it's complete dogshit full of posts and posters you really would not be associated with any sort of donation drive (the only people posting comments on it are people who were permabanned from SA as it is)"

He said, wait, what the gently caress? Point me to them and I'll punt their asses off the server.

I said that was too much work and you wouldn't be able to get everybody. So bring GDN in. GDN is, if you don't know, the Goon Discord Network

Without wanting to come across as defending Lowtax and all of his recent actions, Lowtax’s initial impulse here (ban all the Nazis) was 100% the correct decision and PPJ told Lowtax “no, don’t do that” and proposed the solution that led to user personal information being compromised as well as all of the resulting fallout.

What in the absolute gently caress is the thinking behind this kind of decision? I honestly can’t comprehend it.

I’d like to say I’m extremely disappointed with logikv9 for just kind of letting all of this happen and never communicating with me when I was going all hands on deck to try to manage the chaos. I had a rough loving week dealing with all of this poo poo and getting absolutely 0 backup from anyone with mod/admin power made it all that much harder. I don’t think I should have had to PM him or anything for him to realize that I was working overtime and probably could have used assistance.

At least Captain_Maclaine reached out to me afterwards to apologize and explain that he was away when all of this went down, and he also had the decency to resign once he realized what exactly had happened. Silence has been damning throughout this whole process and I never had a problem with logik at all before this went down but unfortunately it seems like he’s another example of how not to mod a community.

The political lessons I am taking away and my thoughts about C-SPAM and the forums

We often joke a lot here about politics, and memes like “don’t trust the liberals, they will always betray you” have become part of the forums culture and consensus. Well, folks, those memes aren’t just jokes.

Take all of this as an incredibly abject lesson in how political power plays out. Yes, of course I realize that I’m talking about posts on an internet forum and not “real life” politics but this whole thing is such a perfect microcosm of what’s going on in the world politically these days that I can’t help but find it all extremely educational.

My hope is that President Bernie Sanders is the first small step we take towards possibly unfucking our country and society. I am and always will be an optimist at heart; I know that flies in the face of the inherent cynicism of Something Awful, but that time has passed. The mentality of “lol why do you care?” when applied to something that has life or death stakes is a poisonous one, but I can see why it’s practically impossible to separate it from this forum at this point. Many posters seem to cling to the forums status quo as comfort and think that changing the forums too much will invite disaster. I think that the community should grow and adapt with the times.

I keep coming back to that word. Community. Because that’s exactly what we are and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Digital spaces are quickly becoming just as important as real ones, and this subforum has led countless posters into the world of real life political activism. poo poo this subforum has a decent chance of being fundamental to the election of a loving Senator (Go Jess! Keep up the work Nichael!)

Never let anyone tell you that you don’t matter or that it’s pointless to fight for a cause or care about politics. Let the passions of your hearts burn strong.

Solidarity forever, goons.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
Yes, hello. Hi.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Word.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Hello, I make video game mods.

Atma
Sep 16, 2002

College Slice
listen.

i know most of you won't be able to understand this, but the emotions i'm feeling in high school are way deeper than you could ever possibly imagine.

i'm very different than most other people. i have strong feelings and opinions about a lot of different things.

my friends and parents have always told me i am very smart. i see things in a way that a lot of other people simply do not.

the politicians i see on tv make me depressed and angry. how can they be so wrong??? everything is so clear to me at this age. they must be incredibly stupid to think the things that they think. we will be so much better off once all the old people die and my generation takes control of things.

i watched the daily show last night and they were talking about the guy and how he was saying the dumb thing. haha, what an rear end in a top hat. how stupid can people get?

anyway gonna go play animal crossing ttyl.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
It's not the size of the wand it's the magic of the maHEY gently caress YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
rear end has all sorts of harmful bacteria, pal

(i'm joking)

Icochet fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 3, 2020

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
actually,

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
*tsch* Really?!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
man eveythings gonna be ok RIGHT. RIGHT>>>??K?!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no, not mister. doctor

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I pay some of my taxes and

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

PersonMan posted:

You must have mistaken me for a clown, for a man of fun, for a goddamn fool. I don't work at medieval times for the laughs. I do it for chivalry.

if you live in central CO, come on down to larkspur this summer. they have this attraction and the dude sitting in it inevitably says the wrong thing to a random human thumb.

mungo rips an heirloom at this guy. just solid mushy produce going about 95 miles an hour. hittin the poor bastards schnoz so hard you cant tell whats vegetable justice and whats workmans comp leaking out of his face

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
*owns gun*

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Doesn't try to suck own dick.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
We gotta bring back GBS 1.0 punctuation and style rules.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I know a lot of people. Just think about that for a second before you reply.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
You won't have a job after I talk to your manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
*actually clicks the report button on SA and puts users on ignore
*puffs chest

"That'll show them."