Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Game

The Legend Of Grimrock 2 is the sequel to the Legend of Grimrock, both are absolutely fantastic dungeon crawlers by Almost Human. The first one was about four idiots getting killed by a gamecube or some poo poo, but the second is vastly expanded, allowing you explore the island of Nex, a pretty cool magical island run by the biggest dickhead in the world who covered the drat thing with puzzles and traps. I hate him so much.

The LP

While Grace is completely blind, I absolutely adore this game and have fully completed it! Back in 2014. As it turns out, this is exactly long enough for me to remember the important stuff, but to forget 90% of the puzzles. As such, this thread will have No Spoilers. Not even behind spoiler tags. And no puzzle solutions unless I already solved it. It took six loving years to get to this golden spot and I won't let any of you gently caress it up for me. With that said, I WILL allow for mentioning if I missed a secret, but only mention the map area (for example, Twinroot Forest, Twigroot Tunnels etc.) and a vague hint if you're clever enough. If your hint isn't vague or clever enough I'll boo you and I have it on good authority that everyone else will boo you too. Also I'll find out where you live, hurl a brick through your living room window, and poo poo on your rug.

By the way I get real drat drunk for this, and also the first two episodes were intended for a separate thread that we've been doing for a long time, so the first two are kinda sloppy! And also the rest of them are sloppy too but we stop caring.

The Party

Danaru
Party Role: Fearless Leader/Being Large
Crimes: Drunk and disorderly, Unlawful Network Access, Accomplice to Arson
Specialties: Head Hunter, Natural Armour

As the biggest person in the party, Dan is the team leader, partially because he could beat everyone else up and partially because it's MY let's play and I get to carry the cool stuff and if you complain I'll tell my mom on you and she'll beat you up

CirclMastr
Party Role: Swords/Getting in the way of Swords
Crimes: dicks too big lol, pizza panda, Broke Parole
Specialties: Endure Elements, Poison Immunity

CirclMastr was all like "What the gently caress I didn't DO anything" and then he saw Danaru in the paddy wagon and just sighed deeply. That's actually the usual reaction to seeing me, couldn't tell you why.

GrandmaParty
Party Role: Pharmacist/Gun Runner
Crimes: Securities Fraud, Tax Evasion, Public Urination
Specialties: Mutation, Endurance

GrandmaParty is our resident alchemist and also the guy I dump all my ranged weapons on even though I KNOW I'll never use them but I still pretend I will because I like looting stuff and I hate not having an excuse to loot stuff.

Grace
Party Role: Arsonist/Lamp
Crimes: Arson, Arson, Regicide
Specialties: Fast Learner, Aura

Grace catches poo poo on fire, and also is my Fiance and the co-commentator on this LP so he gets preferential treatment. I won't even pretend he doesn't.

Episodes:

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 1 - Turtle Island
Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 2 - I Like How They Trundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.

Edit: Thank gently caress you figured this out eventually. I actually skipped ahead while watching to see if you did, and you were still on the sling.

Burning Sensation fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 5, 2020

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Future entrant in the Dan and Grace Memorial Fight Club.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
:O

I made the crew!

I feel like the belle of the ball

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I am down for shipwreck shenanigans.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm doing a good job holding all the meat

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I could never decide what was worse for an obsessive item hoarder.

The fact bullets and crafting components (even with Alchemist perks) are consumables.

Or, the post fight clean up for your thrown/missile weapons. With extra fun moments of "Wait, poo poo. I'm missing a knife where is it!?"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm normally brutally embarrassingly stingy with supplies, and I go out of my way to try to not be in this playthrough. The first time I played I ended the game with three full crates of food and over a hundred bullets :frogdunce:

Next episode we start hitting our stride since originally these were just for the romcom thread, episode 3 is the first episode of the session we knew we were doing a Grimrock thread :v: It's like riding a bike but with more skeletons trying to kill you

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 3 - This Was Pretty Rude

Alright, we know we're doing a real LP and I've mostly remembered how to play the game :v: and yes I do eventually realize that the skill requirement was for the special move, not for the axe itself

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
So are the skill requirements for weapons actually to wield the weapon, or just to use the weapon's special skill?

E: and answered 20 seconds later in the video.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Opening a door then immediately shutting in a jerk's face will never stop being funny, in any medium :allears:

Sum Gai posted:

So are the skill requirements for weapons actually to wield the weapon, or just to use the weapon's special skill?

E: and answered 20 seconds later in the video.

I always forget because the first thing I remember is "Missile and thrown weapons don't HAVE a requirement, so it must only be for special moves! :pseudo: " (At least, I THINK that is the case?)

The whoops, please insert more skill to keep using melee or guns :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 7, 2020

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I got a bussy out kind of look going on and I like it

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
wait does circlmaster really eat bugs

also i have no idea what's going on in this game

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

wait does circlmaster really eat bugs

in real life no matter what he says

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Grace posted:

in real life no matter what he says

Spoiler alert: a lot of artificial strawberry ice cream/shakes get their red color from an ingredient (called cochineal) that's basically ground bug carapace (Dactylopius coccus).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CirclMastr posted:

Spoiler alert: a lot of artificial strawberry ice cream/shakes get their red color from an ingredient (called cochineal) that's basically ground bug carapace (Dactylopius coccus).

Two minutes in the penalty box for being a big nerd

You're ejected from the game and will receive a fine

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Danaru posted:

You're ejected from the game and will receive a fine

I demand pants or I swear to god I'll miss every shot until I get them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

idk what's going on with the conversation in this thread but evidently i've got some videos I want to watch

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

Two minutes in the penalty box for being a big nerd

I'm being penalized for agreeing with Grace?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

welcome to dan and grace's where rules dont exist and your hosts are capricious gods

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Is this going to be a Liquid Dan run?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Is this going to be a Liquid Dan run?

Very much so, yes

CirclMastr posted:

I'm being penalized for agreeing with Grace?

Very much so, yes

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 4 - That Ghost Dude Is Driving It

I'm pretty sure I figured out what the trick behind the four plagues is (and yes it DID eat at me forever), so after our nine episode backlog the first thing we'll do is go try that again and also pick up the crap we left in the weird face temple. Hopefully we'll be recording tomorrow so we have plenty of episodes

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Tome of leadership sounds like the kind of thing you'd throw at a tabletop group to see who actually deserves leadership vs those who just want power.

Clearly, Dan deserves first dibs on pants for being willing to accept the magical equivalent of a participation ribbon, so that everyone except him gets the stats buffs.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

welcome to dan and grace's where rules dont exist and your hosts are capricious gods
IŽd prefer to call it the Calvinball equivalent of ruling.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
WHO DID THIS?

<============

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
lmao

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

GrandmaParty posted:

WHO DID THIS?

<============

When we saw that, Grace and I thought you just REALLY liked that portrait, which is fair since it's the best portrait in the game.

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 5 - Everyone's Dead And I'm Not Sorry

I hate things that move fast since they make me panic and do the worst possible thing :cripes:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Drowning while being attacked by bees was totally worth it to travel back in time and punch the Island Master in the face.

Also man, I'm getting the feeling I must have blocked out just how many "gently caress you, flanking" attacks this game has if even resistant to melee weapons rock monsters get them.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

What happens if you feed Circlmastr a lizardstick? Does it have a negative effect?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kangra posted:

What happens if you feed Circlmastr a lizardstick? Does it have a negative effect?

nope, CirclMastr is extremely okay with cannibalism, you can quote me on that

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

nope, CirclMastr is extremely okay with cannibalism, you can quote me on that

Hey, if I can be useful after I'm dead, I'm all for it. Plus it means that, in a way, I'll always be with you.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Honestly it's more like a human eating a monkey

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Hammurabi posted:

Honestly it's more like a human eating a monkey

:hmmyes:

I am very eagerly following this thread. I too think it was worth dying and travelling back in time to punch the master of the island in his smug face.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 6 - The Ones That We Were Had To Do The Thing At

Thankfully I'm better at dungeon crawling than I am at words saying

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 7 - Crabbed In The rear end

Sure there are more difficult and dangerous enemies, but the crabs upset me on a visceral level :gonk:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 18, 2020

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 8 - Crabbed In The rear end

Sure there are more difficult and dangerous enemies, but the crabs upset me on a visceral level :gonk:

What happened to episode 7?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Aumanor posted:

What happened to episode 7?

I can either be good at smashing stuff, or good at counting, not both

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 8 - Jay O'Crystal

I loving HATE FLUBBER

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I hate enemies who attack through grates because I am a naive fool always forgets it's a one way privilege.

"If THEY can attack through grates for not being solid, that means fire can go through grates for not being solid! Great hint, game-OH gently caress :supaburn:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I want to say the basic earth magic spell DOES go through grates, but that would require putting points into things that arent fire.